Helping a little girl that was bullied for liking Star Wars

RogueTrooper

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ā 

Lol Kidding, the sentiment is clear that you'd be looking out for her. I think seeing 25+ Stormtroopers holding an assembly at Katie's school to talk about anti-bullying would a more fun approach. :D

Ā 

Ā 

I love this idea. We did something like this at my middle school a few years ago with the R2 builders club. I was actually planning on sharing the article about Katie with my homeroom students and using it to talk about bullying.

this whole story is the exact reason why I love the goals of the 501st legion.

Ā 

perfect response from a large group, to help individuals, and children.

Ā 

proud and misty eye'd every time I even think of this!!

Ā 

kudo's to EVERY member who supported this.

Ā 

perhaps we should have another lucky child this upcoming year get a garrison treatment like this?

Ā 

are there any other candidates for this type of thing in the future?

Ā 

maybe even make a charity drive on a yearly basis to make this happen?

Ā 

what kind of name would we give a project like this?

Ā 

"help a junior trooper"

Ā 

"trooper wish"

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps we should have another lucky child this upcoming year get a garrison treatment like this?

Ā 

are there any other candidates for this type of thing in the future?

Ā 

maybe even make a charity drive on a yearly basis to make this happen?

Ā 

what kind of name would we give a project like this?

Ā 

"help a junior trooper"

Ā 

"trooper wish"

If something like that is feasible, I'm all for it :)

Ā 

Pix of Katie

Ā 

111215064835-star-wars-katie1-story-top.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's me in TD at Geek Girl Con 2011.

I was with a few members of Garrison Titan doing the " Honor Guard", standing in the back during the " Geeks raising Geeks" panel. ( White Pauldron )

Ā 

8241020224_3ea028fa73_b.jpg

Geeks Raising Geeks... damn that's the title of my new book.

Ā 

ANYWAY..................... I would drive to the midwest for an anti-bullying assembly at her school, being a girl who loves star wars and all, it would really show those boys!!!

Ā 

Er, sorry, that was my own baggage.

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit "Tardy to the Party," but this is one of the BEST stories I have read in quite a while! The support of groups such as FISD, TDH, etc. for their mini-troopers is phenomenal, and (as already shared by others) is why I enjoy being at least a small part of the SW Universe.

Ā 

I think either an Annual Armor Charity or even an Annual Scholarship on behalf of the 501st would be great....and in direct alignment with the mission. Either way, I would support in any way I could.

Ā 

Great Job to everyone who made this happen for Katie, and gave a spiritual lift to everyon'e faith in humanity. :jc_doublethumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh. Wow!Ā  :)

Ā 

I just found out about this story after trying to figure out what those "Supporter 2012" banners were all about.Ā 

Ā 

For this story alone I wish I had found and joined 501st a year ago.

(Well. Suit on its way now at least.)

Ā 

More things like this in the future!!Ā  :)

Ā 

Ā 

Awesome work!Ā  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I feel bad, didn't read the date on this one.Ā  Haha, that is what happens when you work for 10 hours then get home at 11 at night and try and work the internet.Ā  Shame on me lol.

Edited by ravinousbunny

• 3 weeks later...

This one was very hard to put down until everything was read.Ā Ā  If something like this comes up I would love to help out!Ā  That little girl will have that memory for life. Big-Ole' bag of Kudos!!!!!!

Ā 

Geeks raising Geeks sounds pretty cool too.

• 11 months later...

THE SAGA CONTINUES...Ā 

Ā 

Hello proud troopers of the FISD. I don't often post on the detachment boards, so for those who don't know me, I'm Brian Troyan, Midwest Garrison Commander and Legion PR Officer. I had a small hand in helping with this project two years ago. Although I got to help with the boots, I played more of a broker role as things got started up, since Carrie Goldman reached out to the Legion PR department, having established a relationship with us when the story of "Katie the Star Wars Girl" being bullied first hit the internet.Ā 

Ā 

Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to make another bullied little girl's life a little brighter. Recently, I've been in communication with Carrie about the Legion-wide anti-bullying initiative "Heart of the Force" which is just getting started up (see here!Ā http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1008181), and in the course of one of our conversations, I mentioned the daughter of a couple of Midwest Garrison members named Allison. Allie gets picked on a lot. It started with a Spider-Man lunchbox, much like Katie Goldman's Star Wars water bottle.Ā She used to love school, but the bullying has gotten so bad that she stayed home 17Ā days this year, feeling afraid and helpless. Her parents have met with her teachers and school officials, but nothing ever seems to get better.Ā 
Ā 
The thought crossed my mind that Katie has had the Anti-Bullying Armor for almost two years now, and that maybe this was a good time to see it returned to the Legion where it began, so that it could get into rotation and help other kids. Since we had been talking about Allie, and since Allie is about the same age as Katie, I sent Carrie an email, asking if Katie might be ready to pass custody of the armor on to another girl who needed a boost. I was a bit surprised that she got back to me so quickly and that they would be honored to pass the torch to another bullied little girl.Ā 
Ā 
I wish that I had run this past you guys here in the FISD first, but to be honest, it all happened so fast... I floated the idea to Carrie on a Thursday, andĀ I knew Allison would be at a big event we have at Soldier Field less than two days later, but I wasn't sure if the armor would even fit her.Ā There was so much to do to line it all up, and I was only just thinking about making Allie happy.Ā I hope you guys can accept my apology for not clearing the loan to Allison past anyone in advance. Seeing an chance to help her, I leaped before I looked. I didn't consult with anyone about it, not even Allie's parents, so if there's any blame to hand out here, you can put that squarely on me.
Ā 
While on a Legion Command conference call that Friday night (the night before the event), I drove two-hours round trip to Katie's house to pick up the armor bin, running into a dance studio five minutes before they closed in order to buy a new leotard to add to the kit (since Katie had always worn her own with it). I had already learned that Katie had worn the armor "hard" and that the helmet would need a few minor repairs, as well. I was told that the lenses might be missing. I called Gazmosis and asked him if he might be able to help out with that, since I knew he'd be at the troop, as well. We came up with a plan (and a backup plan) to make sure everything would be taken care of, but as it turns out, I didn't have to cannibalize the lenses out of my old FX bucket. The kid-sized lenses were still in the bin, and I was able to re-install them without too much fuss. I also reinforced a crack on the edge of the bucket opening that night.Ā 
Ā 
Other than speaking briefly to Gaz', nobody else knew about what was in store. And like I said, I didn't even know for sure if it would fit her, so it might all have been a bust.
Ā 
But everything was as set as it could get, and the next morning, Allison was totally surprised and ecstatic to be able to suit up with her older sister and her mom.Ā Katie Goldman and three of her friends had even drawn up some cards voicing their support for Allison.Ā Luckily, Gazmosis was there to help her get into the armor. Since he was the lead builder on the FISD/MWG team who put everything together, there was absolutely nobody more suited to helping her step into the white boots. As it turns out, the armor fit like it was made for her (at least for now... if her sisters are any indication, she will be sprouting up in the next couple months, and will outgrow the kit in no time!). She came away with some armor bites, but she's a tough little kid and has been through worse.
Ā 
Allison's mom was extraordinarily proud and grateful to see her daughter so happy... and she was a little floored, since she had absolutely no idea that I'd arranged anything.
Ā 
Allie and her whole family have known all about the armor project since it began, and I made sure that Allison understood that it is only on loan to her until she outgrows it, when it will revert back to the Legion and get passed along to another child who needs it. (Since Gazmosis lives nearby, I think he will make an excellent safe-keeper for it.)
Ā 
I think that Carrie may be writing a blog post about the armor soon, but I wanted to make sure that everyone here on the FISD heard it here first.Ā 
Ā 
I'm really glad to see the armor back in circulation after so long. It represents a promise to protect the littlest fans from a sometimes cruel world. Ā The smile on her face and the feeling of belonging among the troopers that she's looked up to for her whole life was priceless, and I can't wait to hear about the next child who will inherit the armor once Allie outgrows it.Ā 
69GeTYQ.jpgVd4vUsN.jpgy4k9t2W.jpgRfSNIIP.jpgRfSNIIP.jpgM88zDTr.jpg
Ā 
gM2xzdP.jpg
Ā 
Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I read this story the first time today, but it really made me very touched.

Ā 

The community has done a great job 2 years ago and made Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹Ć¢ā‚¬ā€¹a little girl very happy.

And it's wonderful that now anotherĀ bullied girl can be brought back to laugh.

Ā 

The pics are awesome :jc_doublethumbup:

Ā 

Great work troopers! :salute:Ā 

• 4 weeks later...