A.J. Hamler Requesting Pre-approval Review (AM)

A.J. Hamler

Hi gang.  I was hoping to submit all my stuff to my GML this week, but learned that everything is on hold till after elections.  *sigh*  Oh, well, I've been at this for nearly two years, so what's another couple weeks, eh?  I hadn't really intended to do a pre-approval thread, but with my TK done and some extra time on my hands, I couldn't just sit here without showing off my armor now could I?  Of course not.  OK, here we go.

Name: A.J. Hamler

Garrison: Garrison Carida

Armor Maker: AM 2.0

Helmet: AM 4.0

Belt: Kittell

Neck Seal: Darman

Boots: TK Boots

Blaster: Hyperfirm

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 205

Type: ANH Stunt

Full Body Photos:

TK%20210%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20211%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20212%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20213%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20214%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20215%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20216%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20217%20lo-res.jpg

Helmet:

TK%20218%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20219%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20221%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20220%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20223%20lo-res.jpg

Ab details.  (Colors didn't come out well, but they're standard Humbrol blue and gray.)

TK%20224%20lo-res.jpg

Wrist trim:

TK%20225%20lo-res.jpg

Thermal Detonator (Ukswrath's brackets and screws):

TK%20228%20lo-res.jpg

Neck Seal:

TK%20227%20lo-res.jpg

Blaster:

TK%20229%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20230%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20231%20lo-res.jpg

Thanks!

A.J.

Nice work, the close on new member applications starts 1st February through until 19th February, so you may be able to just squeeze in if you are quick. You can still sent your application to your GML, at least get some feedback even if the last of the paperwork can't be finished.

A nice clean build and I think you will have any problems with approval, good luck

Wow, A.J., just WOW!  Phenomenal job on that build, sir, and you should have no problems at all passing basic.  After seeing that armor, I am really hoping that you will be aiming for the higher levels once you get approved.  While you wait, here are a few small items that would make it look even better for when you apply for level 2;)

Your biceps could stand to come up a skosh, especially the left one.  Right now, it looks as if it's about to pop out from under your shoulder bell. (Arrow).

7hCIO7D.jpg?1  

If possible, the ABS belt should ride higher.

JO9Ig0N.jpg  f8U1YCc.jpg?1

You may have to tighten up the elastic strap that holds your chest/back together, but that would help eliminate the overlap over the kidney.

adA8Uqa.jpg?1    PmWgiYI.jpg

2 hours ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Joseph- I’m shocked you didn’t drop the ear angle pic in.

They are pretty close, and we have to save something for the EI review (hint hint, A.J.).  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Wow, A.J., just WOW!  Phenomenal job on that build, sir, and you should have no problems at all passing basic.  After seeing that armor, I am really hoping that you will be aiming for the higher levels once you get approved.  While you wait, here are a few small items that would make it look even better for when you apply for level 2;)

Your biceps could stand to come up a skosh, especially the left one.  Right now, it looks as if it's about to pop out from under your shoulder bell. (Arrow).

7hCIO7D.jpg?1  

If possible, the ABS belt should ride higher.

JO9Ig0N.jpg  f8U1YCc.jpg?1

You may have to tighten up the elastic strap that holds your chest/back together, but that would help eliminate the overlap over the kidney.

adA8Uqa.jpg?1    PmWgiYI.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Joseph!  Yeah, I'm aware of all three issues -- especially that Bicep.  Damned thing kept coming unsnapped for some reason.  You'll notice in the other photos -- left side arms up and down, action pose, back view -- that it's right where it's supposed to be.  It unsnapped just before shooting those two front-facing poses.  No idea why it kept coming undone (three or four times during our shoot), but I had no trouble whatsoever with any other snap.  Might just be a bad snap or something.  Best fix for that might be just to preemptively replace it.  Of course, that's one of the few areas I didn't do a double-snap.  Best fix might just be to add the second snap if I have room on the strap, or replace the strap with a new one with two snaps on it.

A question though on raising Biceps --  Personally, I'd like them both to be higher than I set them for more freedom of arm movement, but I kept reading here about how the elbow gap should be kept to a minimum or even no gap, and to achieve that it was OK, even recommended, to bring the Biceps down as far as possible to eliminate elbow gap.  I'm a bit confused on whether the Biceps should be high or low.  Again, I'd rather they be high for comfort but want to do the right thing.  Easy fix to raise them, especially since I need to fix that snap on the one side, which will probably require a new strap there anyway.

The Belt height is another confusing issue.  The CRL says "The top of the ammo belt should sit at or just below the bottom of the central and vertical abdomen button panels.," which is where I put it.  Easy fix, though, to raise it a bit with some Velcro behind it.  But, again, I'm confused as to the wording in the CRL.

And that darned Back Plate!  Thing gave me fits during the build.  From the side it looks like it's slipped down, but that's just the "corner wings" or whatever they are that seems to be a characteristic of the AM armor.   When you look at that Back/Kidney seam from the back in the photo below, you can see that the two return edges are resting against each other along the center...

Back%20detail.jpg

...but those "wings" dip down to overlap on the ends.  Not sure what to do about them.  I've seen that in a lot of other AM builds, too.  During my build I looked at them long and hard, and don't think a water bath would do it -- that'd bend them up OK to be in the same plane as the top of the Kidney return, but doing so would misshape the side edges of the Back Plate I think.  I'm open to any suggestions for a fix.

And you betcha I'm shooting for L2 & L3!  Been my goal from day one of my build.  In fact, although I didn't post them in this pre-approval thread, I took every one of my necessary EI and Centurion photos yesterday, too.  Things like Sniper Knee, S-trim, Knee Ammo Belt attachment inside and out, etc.  The only L2 & L3 photo I haven't taken yet is my rubber gloves with your excellent silicone Hand Plates, as I haven't attached the Hand Plates to the gloves yet.  <g>

A.J.

Well Done AJ. You should be proud. Looking forward to trooping along a side of you brother. Don't worry. I did not forget to show you my kidney/butt plate connectors lol. Congratulations my friend. :salute:

Nice work AJ. Should have no problem for basic approval.

May be a little foam padding under the back plate will solve your problem. It’s likely just adjusting your strapping will solve the problem.

Another possibility is you have your connection at the bottom center of your back plate to the top of the kidney plate pulling too tight, thus forcing the back plate down too much and caused the edges flying at an angle rather than sitting flush.

OK, played around a bit with my armor and improved a couple things, including two of the things Joseph noted.

TK%20211%20new%20lo-res.jpg

First, I adjusted both Biceps to bring them up a little.  I didn't have any trouble with the the snap inside the left Bicep this time -- could adjusting the height have fixed my issue with it coming unsnapped?  I did remove a bit more of the return edge on the inner upper edge of both Biceps (which is right behind the strap up there where the snap is) and that may have helped, too.

I also added some Velcro behind the belt at the center and tugged it up a smidgen.

I still don't know what to do about that Back Plate issue where it overlaps on those "wing tips" on the corners.  I'll save that for another day.

Meanwhile, here's a couple more photos I didn't include last time.

Elastic at rear of Shoulder Bridges

TK%20226%20lo-res.jpg

Lens color

TK%20222%20lo-res.jpg

Left/right side details

TK%20232%20lo-res.jpg

And, although an older photo from earlier in the build, the Sniper Knee

TK%20107%20lo-res.jpg

TK%20106%20lo-res.jpg

That's it for now.  Gotta figure out something with those "wing tips" on that Back Plate.

For that ANH-look the bicep should be low.

K0DYMkv.jpgaxE6Kfh.jpg990pfof.jpg

1 hour ago, A.J. Hamler said:

Gotta figure out something with those "wing tips"

If you can sort out the back plate overlap the "wings" will fall in line:duim:

3 hours ago, TheSwede said:

If you can sort out the back plate overlap the "wings" will fall in line:duim:

That's the problem -- the Back Plate isn't overlapping. 

Back%20detail%20arrows%202.jpg

Most of it at the center (red arrow) is resting right atop the Kidney Plate where it belongs.  In fact, the area defined by the green line is resting on the Kidney; you can even see some of the black undersuit where that line is.  It's just those two pointed wing-like things on ends (orange arrows) that are overlapping.

I can't figure out any way to fix this.  Heating and bending those up could make them level with the rest of the Back Plate, but that would put a big warp on the lower sides of the Back Plate.  Cutting them off would remove the return edge, which I don't want to do for fear that'd cause even more overlap problems.  (And I'm not confident enough to attempt creating new return edges.)

Edited by A.J. Hamler
typo

Can the ab/cod and kidney/butt be pulled up just a bit?  You're so close to overlap, it seems- maybe an inch?  Do you have any room to play or are the cod and butt already perfectly fitted?

Yeah, the Butt/Kidney are just right; ditto the Cod/Ab.  (Which is good thing, of course.)  Besides, I'm not sure how pulling the Kidney up higher would help prevent overlap.

Edited by A.J. Hamler

More from Carida-land...

re: back plate flare

The back plate sits very flat against your upper back, but the connection as it stands may be pulling the top too close to your back, and forcing the bottom to sit further out than it should.  If you relax the shoulder connection to the chest plate, would that let the upper portion sit out a little, but not too much, and allow the lower portion of the back plate to slide closer to your back, thereby bringing those wings more in line with the kidney?

I found personally that when I stand with my shoulders back, the natural curve of my upper back makes the back plate sit a little more In line with my kidney.

• Like 1

Andrew --  Trouble is, if I lengthen the shoulder connections, then the Back Plate slips down to completely overlap the top of the Kidney.  I originally had the shoulder straps a little longer, but intentionally shortened them up a bit to pull the Back Plate up to correct the overlap.

Haven't gotten any other suggestions, but as much as it terrifies me to attempt it I'm afraid I'm going to have to try to reshape that lower edge and trim the flares off.  I really don't want to do that as I'm not confident of pulling it off, but it's starting to look like that's my only recourse. 

Andrew --  Trouble is, if I lengthen the shoulder connections, then the Back Plate slips down to completely overlap the top of the Kidney.  I originally had the shoulder straps a little longer, but intentionally shortened them up a bit to pull the Back Plate up to correct the overlap.

Haven't gotten any other suggestions, but as much as it terrifies me to attempt it I'm afraid I'm going to have to try to reshape that lower edge and trim the flares off.  I really don't want to do that as I'm not confident of pulling it off, but it's starting to look like that's my only recourse. 

I wouldn’t do it if your not sure it’s gonna come out properly. I’m a cautious person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ,

Do you have a pic of the inside connection between the back and kidney (specifically to see the snap plate locations)?  You probably do somewhere in your build thread...

Perhaps if you use snap plates that have minimal flex (nylon or less stretchy elastic - perhaps elastic turned sideways, which doesn't stretch the same as length-wise) on each corner where it sticks way out, that will pull the back into alignment with the kidney, while keeping it from sagging over the top of the kidney. Then you could experiment with loosening the shoulder connection.

Edited by gatetrooper