JenEcho Requesting Preapproval (AP)

Name:  Jenny Mehan

Height: 5' 2"

Weight: 140 lbs

Future Garrison: Capital City Garrison (Canada)

Armor maker: AP

Helmet maker: AP

Cloth belt maker: AP

Neck seal maker: Geeky Pink

Boot maker: TK Boots

TK type: ANH Stunt

Blaster: Brett Fulford

Name(s) of any Trooper(s) who significantly helped with your build:  lucnak, wook1138, GMRhodes13, Cricket, ABS80 and a wonderful local member (sorry if I missed anyone)

I'm so excited!! Still need to figure out the wiring/padding in my helmet and make stirrups for my darn shins, but here goes nothing. And yes, I just noticed that I need to paint my knee ammo rivets. Oops.

nftyDoR.jpg

KIrQ86Z.jpg 

wkmV9xb.jpg

v1ILizQ.jpg

JXs2AQW.jpg

fn2pWzn.jpg

MQwsBPK.jpg

Aa7g0jq.jpg

t4n24dd.jpg

tMNduEn.jpg

1YsMF9M.jpg

Not bad! If I may offer a suggestion, I think if you tweaked you strapping you could get your back/kidney/posterior plates to sit against each other better. Your posterior plate looks to be flaring out a bit on the sides (a common issue).

Hi Jenny!  Nice job on your build. I don’t see anything that would hold up your approval. @ABS80 Mark are the holes in the thermal detonator part of your mold?  I haven’t seen those before. 

Now moving on from the approval process to practicality, I’m pretty sure you’re going to want to cut out the back side of your thighs and shins so you can walk better. I could see you having a tough time walking because you don’t have much gap between the two. Again nice job on your build. 

Nice job, Jenny. Very neat. :-)

A little thing that might need updating for clearance would be to paint your thigh ammo pack fixings white.

1c0432b9124e7610c777dcd496acf329.jpg

And, I wouldn’t be the “Tube Stripe Sheriff” if I didn’t mention that yours may have been applied to the opposite cheeks (99% of people won’t notice). This will NOT affect clearance - just a little tip should you make another lid in the future. :-)

See here for what I mean: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44755-tube-stripes-anh-stunt-dave-m/

Best wishes,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some great work there Jenny, well done. I see noting that hasn't already been noticed, good luck with approval, I'm sure you will have no issues.

Jenny! Think we have already discussed everything that there might be that might need fixing plus the feedback here. I can see that your kidney and ab aren't lining up at the top in these photos. Ideally they should. With something holding the shins lower and cutting out the back at the knees, I think you'll gain a little mobility! Your kidney looks a little off center from your butt plate - when you follow the lines for the detail at the back, you can see it. May just be how you're standing, but I know you're gonna want to get everything perfect! Can't wait for you to join us and troop!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Not bad! If I may offer a suggestion, I think if you tweaked you strapping you could get your back/kidney/posterior plates to sit against each other better. Your posterior plate looks to be flaring out a bit on the sides (a common issue).

That darn butt flare! I definitely blame the armour and not my booty. A hot water bath helped a lot, but I think you're right with the strapping - I'm going to play around with it for sure.

6 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Nice job, Jenny. Very neat. :-)

A little thing that might need updating for clearance would be to paint your thigh ammo pack fixings white.

1c0432b9124e7610c777dcd496acf329.jpg

And, I wouldn’t be the “Tube Stripe Sheriff” if I didn’t mention that yours may have been applied to the opposite cheeks (99% of people won’t notice). This will NOT affect clearance - just a little tip should you make another lid in the future. :-)

See here for what I mean: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44755-tube-stripes-anh-stunt-dave-m/

Best wishes,

Dan

ARG! I actually tried so hard to get those tube stripes right - looked over the threads and all the people who had got it wrong and went back and forth at least a dozen times trying to figure out which was the correct side. Next time ;) 

• Like 1

Oh, the tube stripe police. :laugh1: 

Looks great, Jenny.  You have already received some great advice here for improving the fit of the armor, but you should be good for basic approval as is. :duim:

The issue with the ab and kidney not lining up and even the back/kidney/posterior connection being a little loose looking are not uncommon.  I had the exact same issue.  I had to redo the strapping - I found thicker nylon webbing and I moved the snap bases closer to the edges.  I also added extra nylon webbing (glued it in) along the left kidney/ab connection.  I made a slot and tab for the right side.  I also had to hot bath the posterior to get rid of the "butt flare" that commonly happens. 

As was mentioned before, you might want to cut out the backs of the thighs and knees for mobility - but... it looks like you may be able to trim some more material off the tops of your thighs and pull them up a bit (if you can).  It is hard not seeing the armor first hand, but I think that would make for a nicer looking fit in the knee area.  Plus the top of your thighs are pretty close to your posterior plate at the back - this can make walking around more difficult.

Again, great job!  You did a fantastic job sizing down this armor.

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

Oh, the tube stripe police. :laugh1: 

Looks great, Jenny.  You have already received some great advice here for improving the fit of the armor, but you should be good for basic approval as is. :duim:

The issue with the ab and kidney not lining up and even the back/kidney/posterior connection being a little loose looking are not uncommon.  I had the exact same issue.  I had to redo the strapping - I found thicker nylon webbing and I moved the snap bases closer to the edges.  I also added extra nylon webbing (glued it in) along the left kidney/ab connection.  I made a slot and tab for the right side.  I also had to hot bath the posterior to get rid of the "butt flare" that commonly happens. 

As was mentioned before, you might want to cut out the backs of the thighs and knees for mobility - but... it looks like you may be able to trim some more material off the tops of your thighs and pull them up a bit (if you can).  It is hard not seeing the armor first hand, but I think that would make for a nicer looking fit in the knee area.  Plus the top of your thighs are pretty close to your posterior plate at the back - this can make walking around more difficult.

Again, great job!  You did a fantastic job sizing down this armor.

Good advice with the strapping to keep everything lined up - I think maybe just swapping out the elastic with webbing might do the trick. Easy to try since I had to buy a second massive pack of snaps so I have tons left over. 

I was overzealous with the sizing of my left thigh and I'm not sure if I can hike it up anymore if I trim it since it's getting kind of narrow circumference wise right now. Although I have to say that everything fits MUCH better with my Under Armor as opposed to my usual method of test fitting in my shorts. Suction is no one's friend! 

• Like 1

I overtrimmed my thighs - they are just a hair too snug - and am currently in the process of using the trimmings (never discard them!) and ABS paste to enlarge them, so if you want to go that route it is possible.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harbinger said:

I overtrimmed my thighs - they are just a hair too snug - and am currently in the process of using the trimmings (never discard them!) and ABS paste to enlarge them, so if you want to go that route it is possible.

Yeah I’m using it as motivation to get out and run more, but I definitely see some shimming and paste modifications happening come hibernation season. 

You look amazing, Jen!  Great work getting that kit sized down.  Way to go!

I noticed that your shins twisted a bit on you in one of the pics.  Do you have stirrups installed on them yet?  This isn't something that will affect approval, it's more for your own comfort while trooping.  It will keep the shins from rotating around on your legs, as well as keep them pulled down snugly over your boots.  I don't know how someone could troop comfortably without them!  :)  

Once again, fabulous job.  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cricket said:

You look amazing, Jen!  Great work getting that kit sized down.  Way to go!

I noticed that your shins twisted a bit on you in one of the pics.  Do you have stirrups installed on them yet?  This isn't something that will affect approval, it's more for your own comfort while trooping.  It will keep the shins from rotating around on your legs, as well as keep them pulled down snugly over your boots.  I don't know how someone could troop comfortably without them!  :)  

Once again, fabulous job.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Aw thank you! Following your build and seeing how you overcame the setbacks gave me so much motivation and encouragement. 

You've read my mind! Literally have the link to the stirrup tutorial from your build pinned on my laptop - I'm hoping that when I secure those shins down (and straight) that I'll get a much better idea if I need to trim anymore from the bottom or if I need to take some off the back. I was just about to look at your thread again to refer to how you've trimmed behind the knees. 

Question - how much mobility do you have in your arms? Is it completely unrealistic for me to expect to be able to reach all the way over to do up that shoulder strap/bell snap when I've got my arms on? 

• Like 1

Aw thank you! Following your build and seeing how you overcame the setbacks gave me so much motivation and encouragement. 

You've read my mind! Literally have the link to the stirrup tutorial from your build pinned on my laptop - I'm hoping that when I secure those shins down (and straight) that I'll get a much better idea if I need to trim anymore from the bottom or if I need to take some off the back. I was just about to look at your thread again to refer to how you've trimmed behind the knees. 

Question - how much mobility do you have in your arms? Is it completely unrealistic for me to expect to be able to reach all the way over to do up that shoulder strap/bell snap when I've got my arms on? 

I’ve seen one guy be able to do it. I can’t that’s for sure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JenEcho said:

Hey, thanks!  :)  I"m really glad that my fails helped you!  haha.... 

Literally have the link to the stirrup tutorial from your build pinned on my laptop - I'm hoping that when I secure those shins down (and straight) that I'll get a much better idea if I need to trim anymore from the bottom or if I need to take some off the back. 

Yep, they will help a lot.  Even if you can get your shins strapped into submission, you may still want to consider taking some off of the back.  Having a bit out of the back adds comfort and is also screen accurate (bonus!).  Some trim as 'rounded scoops', others as more 'rectangular scoops'.  The shape is ultimately up to you!

I seem to remember reading somewhere around here that your arm mobility goals should include:  

1. Getting your bucket on and off by yourself.

2. Being able to drink a bottle of water in kit (bucket off, of course).

3. Holster and unholster your blaster unassisted with bucket on.

Goals #1 and #2 are fairly easy to accomplish based on how the arms are trimmed.  Goal #3 is about half mobility, and half holster quality.  A 4oz holster for me was too thin to be able to easily holster and unholster my blaster, even after I'd shaped it to fit.  I upgraded to an 8oz holster, and have never looked back.  

I try to find a handler to help strap on my opposite arm whenever possible.  However (more often than not!), many handlers have a difficult time locating the inside #10 snap on the white shoulder elastic (I don't know why!).  I've always had enough mobility to attach both arms without much trouble, though.  For me, the key is more about dexterity to locate the snap than anything else.  I slip on my entire arm as a sleeve (gloves included) after putting on silk hand liners first.  In case you didn't see this pic:

33713272551_d0266b4716.jpg

Wearing rubber gloves allows me to still retain a good sense of touch- I couldn't accomplish this if I wear Nomex gloves.

But I digress a bit here.  Bottom line is, yes, it is totally realistic for you to expect to be able to reach all the way over to do up that shoulder strap/bell snap when you've got your arms on.

Hope this helps! 

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

I try to find a handler to help strap on my opposite arm whenever possible.  However (more often than not!), many handlers have a difficult time locating the inside #10 snap on the white shoulder elastic (I don't know why!).  I've always had enough mobility to attach both arms without much trouble, though.  For me, the key is more about dexterity to locate the snap than anything else.  I slip on my entire arm as a sleeve

I have the exact same experience.  I've actually just taken over for a handler and connected the sew-in snap (yep, #10) myself a couple of times.  I put my gloves on after - I don't know if I could find the #10 snap and do it up with my gloves on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

I have the exact same experience.  I've actually just taken over for a handler and connected the sew-in snap (yep, #10) myself a couple of times.  I put my gloves on after - I don't know if I could find the #10 snap and do it up with my gloves on. 

I had an inexperienced handler help me with attaching my arm right before marching in my very first parade.  They had so much trouble with it, that they ended up pulling out most of the thead to the snap...  I didn't notice this until right before parade start when my entire arm started to fall off.  I ended up with handlers following me during the entire parade who kept taping my arm up with duct tape (it kept falling off!).  I've been quite cautious with newbie handlers ever since!

9 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I had an inexperienced handler help me with attaching my arm right before marching in my very first parade.  They had so much trouble with it, that they ended up pulling out most of the thead to the snap...  I didn't notice this until right before parade start when my entire arm started to fall off.  I ended up with handlers following me during the entire parade who kept taping my arm up with duct tape (it kept falling off!).  I've been quite cautious with newbie handlers ever since!

:shok:

Your first parade!?  I can't even imagine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

:shok:

Your first parade!?  I can't even imagine.

Yeah, I was mortified.  I ended up using my 'damaged' arm to do HUGE waves at the crowds every time I felt the arm slipping!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Yeah, I was mortified.  I ended up using my 'damaged' arm to do HUGE waves at the crowds every time I felt the arm slipping!

I totally help adjust other TKs while in mine, heheh. No one spots the little adjustments/details on a TK better than another TK!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Wearing rubber gloves allows me to still retain a good sense of touch- I couldn't accomplish this if I wear Nomex gloves.

Yeah, I had to put my rubber gloves aside because NOTHING was working to attach the silicone hand guards. And I was getting way too frustrated and hung up on that one part. I've built with the ultimate goal of Centurion in mind, so I guess I'll have to pull them out at some point. I was having a bit of luck with Gorilla Glue, but it was still coming off in spots. Time for another run to the dollar store.