Trooping issues and Solutions for the TFA armor.

captsafe66

It was great seeing all of you in Anaheim!

I just wanted to start a thread where everyone can post their individual issues the may have occurred while trooping.  Then everyone can discuss the solutions or possible solutions to increase the troopability of the TFA armor.

Also, what can the troopers that completed the armor recommend  for the others that haven't finished.  What to watch out for, short cuts and other recommendations.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

The helmet and the dizzying smell of curing fiberglass ... oy. I'm glad I didn't finish mine in time for SWCA - I wouldn't have lasted 60 seconds in the helmet without passing out due to the fumes. :blink:

Evilboy has plans for specially-made helmet fans. You can bet I'll be getting in on that.

• Like 1

I literally had to get the helmet out of the box and put it on my noggin'.  I think I now know what a meth lab smells like.  Certainly people out there should let them out-gas first.  

Other lesson - this is way harder than any build you have ever done.  It will take twice as much money and twice as long to do.  Even if you put in some padding in your estimates.  I did, and it still cost 2x what I budgeted, and took 2x as long.  Plan accordingly peeps.

I literally had to get the helmet out of the box and put it on my noggin'.  I think I now know what a meth lab smells like.  Certainly people out there should let them out-gas first.  

Other lesson - this is way harder than any build you have ever done.  It will take twice as much money and twice as long to do.  Even if you put in some padding in your estimates.  I did, and it still cost 2x what I budgeted, and took 2x as long.  Plan accordingly peeps.

What was the biggest challenge Paul?

The biggest hurdle is determining what to and WHAT NOT TO trim. You can never assume even though some parts scream that it wants to be trimmed in one place when it's really another. Research and photos are critical. Once the parts are properly trimmed it goes together fairly well. Then comes the bondo. Like stated, you need to

Be patient with this one

• Like 3

How did mobility differ from the classic TK? It seems like it would be a tad better, but im just curious.

That really sucks about the smelly helmets, you would think they would take the time to ensure they had no odor at all, but im sure they were just as pressed for time as the builders.

It appears the armor buckles together, or at least had greeblies on the armor that made it appear as it does. Was it functional at all?

Im interested in one of these kits, but like anything that comes out new these days, im sure there are some bugs that need to be fixed.

For me it was that some of the belt boxes in the ab cracked after using it only 1 day and that the knee gaskets are too short for my legs

• Like 1

How did mobility differ from the classic TK? It seems like it would be a tad better, but im just curious.

That really sucks about the smelly helmets, you would think they would take the time to ensure they had no odor at all, but im sure they were just as pressed for time as the builders.

It appears the armor buckles together, or at least had greeblies on the armor that made it appear as it does. Was it functional at all?

Im interested in one of these kits, but like anything that comes out new these days, im sure there are some bugs that need to be fixed.

Actually I saw it and heard it from the troopers the mobility was worse, some were complaining about there knees for not being able to bend for so long amounts of time, and I noticed almost none of them could put on and take of there helmets by themselves, they needed assistance. 

• Like 1

The rubber gaskets are really the only main issue with this suit. Once we get something that isn't so thick and limiting, I think it will be more comfortable overall than an OT TK. The mobility with the legs are a lot better and the biceps are more comfy. I've re-strapped and tweaked my OT TK about 5 or 6 times in the last 5+ years and this one doesn't seem like it will need as many tweaks... then again, that could be with how I strapped it in the first place because of my exp with the TK and various other costumes. 

And YES! That helmet was so stinky that I would not have made it that first day if I didn't stick a squirrel fan right in front of my chin to draw in fresh air. It saved me but my eyes paid for it from getting blasted with fumes. I looked like I fell out of Spicoli's VW van  B)

• Like 2

Any chance we could get some photos of the inside of the bucket and armor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully they'll address the "eraser shavings" from the gaskets caused by the armor plates shaving them down.. noticed that on several suits, especially at the backs of the knees...

If you have never worked with bondo to cover seams, used epoxies and resins and painted glossy finishes then this armor build will be very challenging. This build for me was very similar to the clone trooper armor I have. Those who completed this build in time for Celebration also had to deal with a very short time frame which others now won't have to deal with.

• Like 1

The rubber gaskets were the biggest issue imho... they're super hot, don't breathe and limit your mobility by a lot. In my own case, the knee gaskets are several inch too short. I am not that tall (between 6 and 6'1) but have long legs compared to my torso. Most, if not all, people will need a dedicated handler to get dressed, most are also unable to put on their buckets or take it off again.

I think once the gaskets issue is addressed, the costume will become a lot better. But for now, I think it's the least comfortable I've worn so far... ok with the exception of the bucket, which is nice and roomy compared to my AP bucket lol

• Like 2

I echo the comments above...

I had great mobility in my legs, but the Knee Gaskets were too short for me. The Elbows and Shoulders were too long and far too restrictive. Daetrin had the fabric gaskets from Wyatt and could put on and remove his bucket by himself.

The Bucket is quite roomy!

But it did smell like a Nail Salon when it came out of the box. (I still small it a little in fact, but that could all be in my head! Heck, that may still be the fumes I inhaled! LOL!!)

- Berbs

first off - a shout out to all you guys/gals who built this armour in time. a big task considering the short time and no instructions. you people looked great on stage and on the convention floor.

i noticed several troopers with knee plates rotating around, is this a problem?

also was the inability to remove the helmets more of a gasketing problem (soon to be solved) or an armour issue?

Jonathan, I just saw a post last night of someone working on the gasket issue and had 3 samples with different thread used.

edit: Just found the thread and Crow is working on them, shoes and gloves.

Edited by PiettLives