WARNING TO ANYONE ASSEMBLING RS PROPS PVC ARMOR!

gazmosis

"I'll help you assemble your RS legs!"  he said

"This will be fun!" he said

"Ooops....the back doesn't quite lie flat enough to make a solid flat gluing surface." He said

"Let's compress it with twine and reshape it with a hot water bath!" he said

"This will be perfect! " he said

post-12041-0-09773500-1423673251_thumb.jpg

This was with hot water alone!!! Not even boiling! Not even immersed! Just poured over!!

Hard lesson learned. You have been warned.

Honestly, i think the fact he poured the water on it might have had an impact on the result. You can't have a nive even heat repartition by pouring it, and depending on how heavy he poured it water has weight that will press on the ABS.

Hence i would temper it with, never pour hot water on your hard bought RS armor, but immersing might still be an option.

Edit: that's still a crazy, scary pic man...

Edited by The5thHorseman

Thanx Paul....I go big or go home

And to address Germain, on previous projects, I have actually dropped parts INTO the pot of boiling water ON THE STOVE. The only thing I can deduct is that PVC just has a significantly lower melting point than ABS

WOW!  That is truly scary...  The strange thing is, I work with PVC pipes on a regular basis, and use them for hot-water feed lines directly from water heaters.  RS uses 1.5 mm, and the pipes I use are less than 3mm.  Most peculiar....

Thanx Paul....I go big or go home

And to address Germain, on previous projects, I have actually dropped parts INTO the pot of boiling water ON THE STOVE. The only thing I can deduct is that PVC just has a significantly lower melting point than ABS

Besides it's in all Caps in the title in skipped the "PVC" thing and i was thinking "ABS"... Oh well, so much for me! Sorry 'bout that. However that conforts me about my opinion on PVC vs ABS.

WOW!  That is truly scary...  The strange thing is, I work with PVC pipes on a regular basis, and use them for hot-water feed lines directly from water heaters.  RS uses 1.5 mm, and the pipes I use are less than 3mm.  Most peculiar....

same here, have to take a heat gun or a heating box to it to make it pliable 

Vacuum forming grade PVC is very different to that of PVC pipes ;)

Darn, sorry to see that happen. But I think this information will be useful for anyone thinking to try that with an RS PVC suit. I hope I never run into some prank artist who tosses a bucket of hot water on me at a troop. I will melt like the witch of west in the wizard of Oz!

I had a smaller scale scare when using a blow dryer on the right thigh top ridge to re-shape the edges. Once the PVC got warm enough, it warped uncontrollably fast.

• Like 1