Happy to be Here!

Hey troopers,

Brand new here but I’ve been a fan of y’all for ages now. Finally getting to a spot in my life where I can stop imagining this and start getting ready to don the helmet for the first time - exciting stuff.

Although I’ve still got quite a bit of prep and familiarization ahead before I can start in earnest, I’m thrilled to join the forum and start learning. Fingers crossed we’ll have a 2021 that’s a biiit less insane and I’ll be able to see you folks around sometime soon.

Cheers from Virginia - stay safe & sane out there!

-Korhal (Dylan)

• Like 6

Welcome to FISD Dylan, we are glad to have you aboard.

Yep loads and loads and did I say "loads" of information here, but also some extremely active, knowledgeable and very helpful members to.

Looking forward to seeing your journey underway.

• Like 1

Welcome to the true home of shiny white armor, Dylan!  Lots to learn before you dive in, so research will be your best friend.  The amount of info. here can look (and is) quite staggering, but we are here to guide you all the way.  Always, always feel free to ask any and all questions you may have... it's what we're here for!  

• Like 1

Welcome Dylan.  There is a ton of information yes.  Much to read.  I find that while the screen page seems like there's a lot on the page to digest, you'll discover its easy to read through, descriptive, and in a step by step method.

You're definitely in the right location!  Have you settled on a manufacture yet?  Are you buying or building?

• Like 1

Hey thanks everyone! Appreciate the warm welcome and looking forward to starting the adventure. :salute:

7 hours ago, Harder said:

Welcome Dylan.  There is a ton of information yes.  Much to read.  I find that while the screen page seems like there's a lot on the page to digest, you'll discover its easy to read through, descriptive, and in a step by step method.

You're definitely in the right location!  Have you settled on a manufacture yet?  Are you buying or building?

The nice thing is that I’ve lurked CRLs and even WhiteArmor for quite a while - so I have some idea of what’s what.

What I don’t have is a clue on the particulars or really where to begin.

I’m pretty agnostic on build vs buy. What I do want to do is shoot very high from the very beginning - I’m happy to spend a lot more time and love to end up with a really nice suit. Any pros/cons that might not be obvious to a rookie? Might help me decide between scratch/kit/etc!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KorhalForever said:

I’m pretty agnostic on build vs buy. What I do want to do is shoot very high from the very beginning - I’m happy to spend a lot more time and love to end up with a really nice suit. Any pros/cons that might not be obvious to a rookie? Might help me decide between scratch/kit/etc!

Great to hear you are aiming high from the start. A great thread full of info can be found here

Also when in doubt check the "Gallery Sections" and also some of the Centurion applications ;) 

Good luck with the research.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KorhalForever said:

What I don’t have is a clue on the particulars or really where to begin.

The first thing you will need to decide is which costume you want to go with.  ANH Stunt, ANH Hero, ESB, ROTJ, FO, etc..  So many acronyms to choose from lol!

After that, you choose your armorer.  Going with one of the "vetted" sellers (located here) is your best bet.  Trust me.

Tim has a great step-by-step guide here.

As for building it yourself or having it commissioned, both have their pros and cons:

Build it yourself-  I won't lie, it's a lot of work.  But, you have the advantage of custom tailoring it more to your size.  I always suggest starting a build thread here where you can post lots of photos and ask all the questions you want to!  Plus, if you do have an issue down the road you can fix it yourself.  It's quite rewarding actually, and even if you don't have a background (most of us didn't) in this sort of thing you have an entire Detachment ready and willing to help.

Commission build-  It saves you the vast majority of the work of course, but on occasion some of the pieces may not fit correctly or the way you like and have to either be taken apart and re-done or replaced.

Soft goods-  You will need boots, and under suit, holster, canvas belt, neck seal etc.  Some armorers supply some of these but most don't so you will need to check with whoever you choose.  I have a thread here which will help.

Just know that all your questions are welcome (and encouraged) here on the FISD.  With our help, you'll be a shiny white spaceman before you know it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The first thing you will need to decide is which costume you want to go with.  ANH Stunt, ANH Hero, ESB, ROTJ, FO, etc..  So many acronyms to choose from lol!

After that, you choose your armorer.  Going with one of the "vetted" sellers (located here) is your best bet.  Trust me.

This is mostly true.  ANH Stunt, ANH Hero, and ESB are *very* similar. You can basically make all 3 costumes with 1 base suit, 3 helmets, and 3 belt/holster rigs (or even 2 if you are clever).  ROTJ is a whole different beast.   So I'd say it's more of FO vs. ROTJ vs. ANH/ESB style.

Great resources & insight, friends! This is a huge help.

Have either of you bumped into folks that have done an R1/‘Anthologies’ trooper? That one really jumped out at me because I love that they can rock pauldrons without being a heavy or a sandy. No hate for sandtroopers but I think you just can’t beat that polished white look. :smiley-sw013:

From the CRL & what I’ve seen discussed the kits they use in things like R1/Solo/Mando tend to be a mishmash of ANH/Empire/ROTJ kits with just a sprinkling of disney stuff (FO boots were the first to leap out at me). That shouldn’t dramatically up the difficulty level right? Not that I’m opposed to a challenge ;)

Plus I figure it would be a great way to keep the kit modular for any cool stuff that rolls out from the Mandalorian or other OT side stories as time goes on, no? Would be nice to have a head start if any neat variants turn up.

Thanks again & happy Friday-eve! Y’all are awesome.

Hello Dylan, and welcome to FISD! @TheRascalKing is almost finished with his ROTK Anthology suit, and he can also personally speak to seeing LFL's suits up close since he was a TK in Mando season 1. Below is a link to his build, as well as that of another prominent RO Trooper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hello Dylan, and welcome to FISD! @TheRascalKing is almost finished with his ROTK Anthology suit, and he can also personally speak to seeing LFL's suits up close since he was a TK in Mando season 1. Below is a link to his build, as well as that of another prominent RO Trooper...

Thanks for all this and the warm welcome, Masked! More than I would’ve thought to ask for. I’ll definitely reach out to rascal and the other gent as things progress :)

11 hours ago, equuspolo said:

Welcome Dylan. 

Thanks! It’s a small world man. I was a Persianist in Grad School and stumbled on your Asvaran & Immortal stuff - totally blew me away. Had no idea you trooped :duim:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KorhalForever said:

Great resources & insight, friends! This is a huge help.

Have either of you bumped into folks that have done an R1/‘Anthologies’ trooper? That one really jumped out at me because I love that they can rock pauldrons without being a heavy or a sandy. No hate for sandtroopers but I think you just can’t beat that polished white look. :smiley-sw013:

From the CRL & what I’ve seen discussed the kits they use in things like R1/Solo/Mando tend to be a mishmash of ANH/Empire/ROTJ kits with just a sprinkling of disney stuff (FO boots were the first to leap out at me). That shouldn’t dramatically up the difficulty level right? Not that I’m opposed to a challenge ;)

Plus I figure it would be a great way to keep the kit modular for any cool stuff that rolls out from the Mandalorian or other OT side stories as time goes on, no? Would be nice to have a head start if any neat variants turn up.

Thanks again & happy Friday-eve! Y’all are awesome.

Heyhey! There aren't too many approved out there just yet, but with the cheap ABS kits hitting the market, I expect to see the numbers jump up. There's a ton of great reasons to go Rogue One/Anthology style - the more ergonomic (more FO than ANH) style design, the level of detail in the parts, the fact that that is likely the standard depiction of TKs we'll see moving forward in LFL productions... Oh yea, and pauldrons :P

The suits are strictly Rogue One style (and veryvery likely production suits from that film being reused for Solo... and Mando...), with zero parts overlapping from the OT suits - save maybe a few scenes where Anovos ANH helmets were used with RO armor in Mando S1, but they take design cues from the OT and sort of updated them obviously. The construction of the suits was in flexible injection molded polyurethane, so the Jimmi fiberglass is likely the closest we'll get to the accurate material (not ABS, which you just can't pull the proper detail in, and ends up being a mixmash of ABS and resin parts). As you mentioned, the boots and gloves (but in black) carry over from the FO's, and the suits share a lot of elements with other Anthology costumes (like the Shoretrooper). It will absolutely be more difficult in general, since there are way fewer makers and fewer resources... but Jeff and I tried to document our builds and there are a few other great threads to get you started if you go that route. The actual assembly is pretty easy compared to OT, but stuff like paint and strapping are a unique challenge.

21 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hello Dylan, and welcome to FISD! @TheRascalKing is almost finished with his ROTK Anthology suit, and he can also personally speak to seeing LFL's suits up close since he was a TK in Mando season 1. Below is a link to his build, as well as that of another prominent RO Trooper.

Another update is coming soon, I swear! Figured some stuff out lately and am almost done implementing. And yea, I got to go play Star Wars for a couple days and saw some cool stuff :) 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KorhalForever said:

Thanks for all this and the warm welcome, Masked! More than I would’ve thought to ask for. I’ll definitely reach out to rascal and the other gent as things progress :)

Thanks! It’s a small world man. I was a Persianist in Grad School and stumbled on your Asvaran & Immortal stuff - totally blew me away. Had no idea you trooped :duim:

Wow Dylan what a small world and thank you for the compliment brother.  Let me know if you need help with anything and welcome aboard.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:39 PM, KorhalForever said:

Hey troopers,

Brand new here but I’ve been a fan of y’all for ages now. Finally getting to a spot in my life where I can stop imagining this and start getting ready to don the helmet for the first time - exciting stuff.

Although I’ve still got quite a bit of prep and familiarization ahead before I can start in earnest, I’m thrilled to join the forum and start learning. Fingers crossed we’ll have a 2021 that’s a biiit less insane and I’ll be able to see you folks around sometime soon.

Cheers from Virginia - stay safe & sane out there!

-Korhal (Dylan)

I'm in the exact same boat you are. Brand new and excited to get started. Welcome!