Star Wars-fans /TK'ers are freaks?

rikush

Hey ppl,

I was just wondering,

does anyone have the same problem as me?

Most of the ppl I know (except for my fellow Garrisonmembers of course) think I am a geek or a freak,just because I like Star Wars and wear a Stormtrooper from tim to time?

I don't feel like a geek at all and hate it when people are so narrowminded.

Anyone else ever been called a geek or a freak because of his hobby?

You should be proud to be a geek/freak

I tell you why because geeks and freaks are soo much more interesting people and different from the boring normal people.

If they call you a geek take it as a compliment and not an insult. They are the grey boring normal people.

Stand proud trooper

cheers

I consider myself a Star Wars geek and a general geek/nerd, but that means I'm passionate!

And since I haven't got my armor yet, I can't wait to increase my geekiness to a new level! :P

Everyone rolled their eyes and I got so many comments like, "you spent how much on that?" Then I showed up at the halloween party and the jaws dropped. They came over to the house and saw the mannequin displayed and then all of sudden they were interested in hearing about how I got it and where I wear it and the 501st as an organization and the charity work and smiles on the kids faces. They weren't rolling their eyes they wanted to try on the helmet or their kids wanted to run around shooting the blaster. My friends wife rolled her eyes at me and then a few weeks later invited me over on halloween to pass out her candy. She loved the reactions of all of her neighbors and that they still talk about the stormtrooper at her house. They all come around sooner or later. You may be a Star Wars geek but everyone has a little Star Wars geek in them somewhere. Thats what makes this universe so...well...universal.

Every man (and woman) has their hobby. How about golf? Even more expensive, and no charity involved. I do know women with over $10,000 in shoes. And we all have known guys who sink far more than we do in armor on their vintage cars or boats.

Or, we could be alcoholics, cheat on our wives, workaholics, etc. All in all for an idiosyncrasy, it's not a bad one.

LOL great topic.

I usually cut ppl off at the pass and do a little self-deprecating when I describe my little hobby to lighten the atmosphere. Because to answer your question, HELL YES I get the weird looks, the "NERD ALERT!!" comments, the half-smiles (where they're really thinking "crap I thought this guy was fairly normal till now!).

I'll usually say something like "I know what you probably think, but it's actually really cool...." or let them know how much money the Garrison has raised for charity so far this year, or I'll say "I realize this places me squarely in the "geek" column, but" and go on to describe with GENUINE INTEREST what I do and the reasons for it.

Frankly, I know who I am and I don't care what people think. I know people with "freakish obsessions" and I know that I am not one of them. It's a hobby, and one with a great, charitable and social upside. It happens to be a big part of my "pursuit of happiness." If people want to be "speed bumps" along my way, then I just roll over them (albeit slowly and gently).

We all realize the stigma surrounding this hobby. But I say screw it. Troop with pride. Try to enlighten people who tease you and laugh and joke behind your back. But if you can't change their minds.....

BLAST EM!!

You should be proud to be a geek/freak

I tell you why because geeks and freaks are soo much more interesting people and different from the boring normal people.

If they call you a geek take it as a compliment and not an insult. They are the grey boring normal people.

Stand proud trooper

cheers

I think Chefhawk says it all.

Yeah me too.

34 years old, and talk about 1970s plastic costumes.

And run around it...

I guess "they" talk so much about us.

Because there inner child are dead, and in some kind of a sick way.

They wish they could play again, have fun like us.

Meet interesting people, across the world and makes friend through fun etc.

Yes they are boring, grey, and very weak minded <_< .

Cheers troops, and love to us there know how to have fun ;) .

I't is a daily thing for me at work to be called uber geek or dork but only because of this hobby. I do get the "you spent how much" comment and "man are you crazy" even though they know how much I spend on my hot rod. Or when I walk into meetings I will get the occasional chanting of the imperial march. To look at me I don't fit "geek" profile. I'm sleeved have a pompadour wear wingtips and ride a cycle but mention Star wars and you're instantly a geek. I wear my label with pride. So when I earn my elite the swag is going on my '49 ford

We used to whistle the imperial march when the brass showed up for morning quarters in the Navy. That was a tyrannical bunch.

It wasnt so bad in the Navy beacuse we were all nukes, therefore geeks. Now that I'm in the civilian sector I know what its like getting thrown into "general population".

Well I am 39 just getting into Star Wars hardcore with 2 custom built sabers under my belt and now a british sterling. Armor when I can afford it.

First off my wife is the coolest. She even picked the award ceremony music to play as we left our wedding. As we left the church towards the car all the guests started humming the SW theme song. Now you must understand my real name is LUKE S. and I am a pilot in real life. Many times when I am flying a fellow buddy will hear me talking to Air Traffic Control on the radio and I will get the infamous "Luuuuuuuuuuke" over the radio.

They all no my obsession but have fun with it. While I was building my luxeon saber several guys and a girl at work watched as I designed it and couldn't wait to see the final product. I brought it to work and made a couple of poses while my fellow pilots all snapped pics with their camera phones. They saved the pics on their phones so when I call they see the jedi pilot on the screen.

I guess I have been lucky and have always been encouraged. Of course they could be laughing and talking about me the second I leave the room. :D:D:D

I say who the heck cares. I love it and will pursue it. And one sweet day I will get my armor and hopefully join the ranks.

They all laugh until you show up in armor and then they are all scrambling to have their pic taken with ya. I'm an engineer and work with a ton of them, they all loved it when I showed up at work in armor. I think its really funny when we do an appreance in public, say at the mall. You can see a lot of high school age kids walk by giving you this strange looks. Then you see them pass by again and again. Then finally they walk up to get their pics taken with us. It takes a while to burn thru the "I'm so mature (adult, cool, etc) attitude but in the end no one can resist the power and allure of the TK's.

I gave up long ago giving a rat's an impolite person what people thought. As I get older, I've learned to accept myself for who I am and pay less attention to whether others approve or disapprove of why I do this. It may sound selfish but I don't need someone else's opinion for self-validation or acceptance.

Everyone else has said it so well, I don't know what else to add. I was known as the "Star Wars guy" at my last job. They would always joke about it around me "Use the Force" and things like that. But they all wanted pictures when I bought my armor, and when I bought one of my FX sabers and had it shipped to the store, everyone wanted to play with it.

Don't let the naysayers bring you down. Deep down they are just jealous of the fun we have, the good that is done by the Legion, and all the cool toys we get to play with :lol:

The word is JEALOUSY... :angry:

Some people despise the very thought of others finding total joy and purpose in what they do.

Talk me down, call me a geek...doesn't matter - I enjoy my TE Armor and I find great satisfaction in bringing smiles to others, young & old.

For those who understand, understand. For those who don't, pity.

T :salute:

Geek, dork, nerd ... It all means the same thing. You are not part of the herd. The herd cannot stand those who stand apart from it and will use every known means of sarcasm to rein the individual in. I have never heard the drum beat to which the herd marches. I am not looking for it. Call me a geek, nerd, dork ... find another label and attach it to me. I am an individual and d#$m proud of it! Okay, so I also a little preachy. :)

I was once called a freak by a passing car full of people...... I just yelled back "Your just jealous cause you cant afford it." :)

Ain't that the truth. I had to get creative to make this hobby work for me.

Ya i wouldn't concern yourself with those ppl because my best friend said i was an "idiot for speding that much on just plastic". however when i answered the door one day in it when he came over... well lets just say my armor suddenly just aint a "wast of money" anymore.

im a victory laper ie came back for an extra year at highskool even though i graduated and ppl want me to come to the prom in my TK armor

also i gotta ask is there something im missing on my profile page cause i cant figure out how to put up a profile pic.

Geek: All the time, rarely used as an insult anymore

Freak: Never. But then I live near Seattle, it's far too relative a term

The only time a carload of drunk idiots tried to give me static, they made a slight mistake.

"Hey man, get out of the road, Darth Vader!!!"

I was in ST armor :rolleyes:

Actually, I have gotten only a few looks, but most everyone I work with and around respects what I'm doing. Like my boss said everyone has their thing...he then proceeds to tell me he still goes to baseball trading card conventions and he's 47, I would not have guessed it looking at him. The Autism Walk-a-thon I'm trooping on the base has really put it in perspective for many as to why I do it and they really respect my willingness to wear 30 poounds of plastic and walk around a track just to help raise money.