Screen Matched 1977 ANH-Hero Stormtrooper Costume Up for Auction (PICS!)

TheRascalKing

Stirred up some conversation over on the Facebook already, but figured this deserved a thread over here too. A screen matched Hero Stormtrooper costume from Star Wars - A New Hope (1977) has recently come up for auction, and the sales post contains some excellent photos of 1 of only 3 known surviving Hero suits/helmets out of the 6 made for the film. It is pretty much complete and in absolutely gorgeous condition. Enjoy.

519tpHu.jpg

Per the Auction's description:

Original Screen Matched Complete Hero Imperial Stormtrooper Costume from Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (TCF, 1977).

Vintage screen matched original Hero Stormtrooper costume constructed of vacuum-formed ABS plastic components. This complete hero style helmet features a one-piece green bubble-shaped lens, original elastic chin strap, original mic-tips, original rubber brow and neck trims, and hand-painted details. Complete armor components include torso assembly (chest, back, abdomen, kidney, butt, and 2 ribbed shoulder connectors), left and right shoulder bells, left and right arm assemblies (biceps and forearm armor), left and right thigh armor, left and right shin armor, belt assembly (layered-stitched canvas fabric belt, ribbed front plate, 2 ammo drop boxes, and distressed leather holster), thermal detonator canister, and white brush-painted chelsea boots. All armor components are assembled and held together with original metal hardware and elastic strapping. Also included is it's original off-the-shelf thin black leather belt which was used to attach the thigh armor to the actor. This belt is the only known example in existence to survive the entire production. Black spandex bodysuit added for display. There were only 6 hero style helmets made for the film, making this helmet only 1 of 3 hero helmets known to still currently exist. After filming was completed in England, this being 1 of 2 of the best condition remaining costumes were hand selected and sent back to the United States for additional pick-up shots such as the 'space trooper' standing at the entrance of Death Star Docking Bay 327 as the Millennium Falcon is drawn in by the tractor beam. This particular Stormtrooper is prominently featured throughout the film and can be screen matched sharing scenes with both Princess Leia as well as Darth Vader. It was also featured in the Donny and Marie Star Wars Special (1977), the Star Wars Holiday Special (1978), and the 50th Academy Awards (1978). This incredibly rare and special Stormtrooper costume rich with history is the most complete and best condition example known to exist from the first original Star Wars film (1977). Exhibits age, production wear and handling, discoloration, scuffing, small cracks, crazing, and minor paint loss. Comes with a COA from Heritage Auctions.

Suit Gallery

ZQdRi5S.jpgeSxbzRP.jpgeu4XtMF.jpggRNIDah.jpg3orlwwy.jpgJRRo6Ep.jpgoaScL5g.jpg

Helmet

519tpHu.jpgBYDuC6U.jpgRa70T9g.jpg

Details

VRUdsB8.jpgZmLEKKf.jpgs6k4D2O.jpgBmYrj1x.jpg

yE3HSec.jpg3azr5Hv.jpgtUhbsJL.jpg

It has been confirmed to match the suit seen throughout the film, as shown:

7fOZ6xQ.jpg

Link to Auction HERE

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

• TheRascalKing changed the title to Screen Matched 1977 ANH-Hero Stormtrooper Costume Up for Auction (PICS!)
2 hours ago, VaderFanLives said:

What a work of art, wow.

Considering the production and design tools available at the time and that it was hand-sculpted? Absolutely. And this is one wonderfully preserved.

But also, the true OG suits were haphazard messes. Our Centurions are a laughably high standard of idealization lol

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Amazing what comes up at auction from time to time.

Here's a ANH/ESB Stunt helmet up for grabs

28291136%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

And from Christies 2003 (reference starwars.com)

molloESB_trooper.jpg.a9dbc1a4bcdf9a3ee65fe9f73ee28e20.jpg

• Like 2

Here is an image of the very set of armour now up for auction. this is a photo from circa 2013, and is the same kit that Gino from EFX had the opportunity to take a full set of internal molds from.

The story goes that the collector actually also had the original undersuit and neck seal, of which were also replicated down to the fabric patterns.

If you are lucky enough to attend a SW Celebration, you may actually meet Gino who has had his full cast set from this armour on display. ;)

The armour has definitely yellowed considerably when compared to this photo below.

C4DeKSA.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Amazing what comes up at auction from time to time.

Here's a ANH/ESB Stunt helmet up for grabs

28291136%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

And from Christies 2003 (reference starwars.com)

Is it me? the camera angle or other? I've not noticed the big kink in the left eye before, (left=right hand side of the image) Maybe I don't look at enough ESB lids lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Here is an image of the very set of armour now up for auction. this is a photo from circa 2013, and is the same kit that Gino from EFX had the opportunity to take a full set of internal molds from.

The story goes that the collector actually also had the original undersuit and neck seal, of which were also replicated down to the fabric patterns.

If you are lucky enough to attend a SW Celebration, you may actually meet Gino who has had his full cast set from this armour on display. ;)

The armour has definitely yellowed considerably when compared to this photo below.

C4DeKSA.jpg

Nice pic :) many thanks for sharing it.

Quick Q: Were any pics ever shared of the OT soft parts? under suit, etc!

I wondered if it could it be the lighting / camera used?, also adding a little "washed out" look in the pic above? that R-side shoulder bell and chest armour in close up look a little (two toned), or maybe a date of that pic?  else just massive acceleration of the dreaded yellowing? 

16 hours ago, Sly11 said:

C4DeKSA.jpg

The same armor that should have been released as a suit to the public by EFX , instead was only available to ... Gino (and friends). Same with Fett and a few other props. Unlike RS who give a lot to the collector world, Gino does no such things. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, riveting said:

Is it me? the camera angle or other? I've not noticed the big kink in the left eye before, (left=right hand side of the image) Maybe I don't look at enough ESB lids lol

A better look at the bump and indent in the eyes

mollostormESB1.jpg.e6f90a514412296090737f3b0c7b3165.jpg

mollostormESB3.jpg.543deb50cd04bd1b18d2f67680f82647.jpg

9 hours ago, riveting said:

From memory I think this is the only one I've seen of the undersuit, but there have been others over the years with a lot of images rarely seen.

gallery_12157_38_762413.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, riveting said:

Nice pic :) many thanks for sharing it.

I wondered if it could it be the lighting / camera used?, also adding a little "washed out" look in the pic above? that R-side shoulder bell and chest armour in close up look a little (two toned), or maybe a date of that pic?  else just massive acceleration of the dreaded yellowing? 

I have never see an image of the soft parts although no doubt it exists in Gino's collection.

Below is the remake EFX claimed they would release, where they claimed matched the fabrics and the measurements from the film articles.

nlbOBaP.jpg

@gmrhodes13

Many thanks for the extra Pictures Glen, Now it just looks like enthusiastic over trimming, which add's up considering its ESB.

& nice down time shot of the TK resting B) I recall another old BW photo where the garter top belt and straps were in frame? 

@sly11

Many thanks for the EFX catsuit n' seal Pic Andrew, Also my apologies, I see you previously dated the suit pic in the black backdrop to 2013, I wonder if the soft parts will be in the Auction too?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:22 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

DIBS on the thermal detonator. :peace:

How did I know that was coming, LOL. :laugh1:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Oh, my oh my.... to see an original set of armor like this up close literally sends shivers through me.  I will be making more than a few screen caps of this for reference images, and I believe mi hermanos @TKSpartan and @Chemi will be doing the same.

Tack sa mycket, Daniel!

• Like 5

hace 52 minutos, justjoseph63 dijo:

Oh, my oh my.... to see an original set of armor like this up close literally sends shivers through me.  I will be making more than a few screen caps of this for reference images, and I believe mi hermanos @TKSpartan and @Chemi will be doing the same.

Tack sa mycket, Daniel!

In fact, I'm going to start requesting that the sniper's knee be on the right thigh.:laugh1:

• Like 1

May have to update some return edge requirements, great reference for the thigh ammo strip rivet placement

return.jpg.70df03bbed4b143668c7a5bcc6d2eced.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chemi said:

In fact, I'm going to start requesting that the sniper's knee be on the right thigh.:laugh1:

It's hard to believe they put the thighs AND the calves on the wrong legs.. and that belt could come up a little. ;)

• Like 1