TIP Request: Lens Fog

TK-7980

Anyone have some pointers on how to keep lenses from foggin up?

Fans seem to help a LITTLE.

Rub a tiny bit (just a drop or two) of washing up liquid on the lenses using a soft cloth before you start a troop. Or use commercial anti-fog for motorcycle helmets.

Baby shampoo and water 50/50 is what the pro divers use instead of anti-fog. I've tried it and it works. If you buy anti-fog get the gel as it works better than the liquid.

I'm not sure why it works, but I found (quite accidentally) that sucking on a cough drop keeps my lenses from fogging up as much. It's sort of a sloppy patch, but if your lenses are fogging up really bad because of weather or whatever, it's a quick and easy solution to help mitigate the problem.

I have tried some dive mask anti-fog drops I got at a Scuba shop. It works pretty well but it leaves a kinda oily film on the lenses. I also tried a spray on solution called liquid spit, and that seemed to work as well. However with both of these you seem to need to re-apply them each time you use the helmet.

my face generates a lot of sweat so I have major fog problems. I found that I need a combo of stuff:

1. Anti fog paste (I use cat crap, no joke that's the name). Apply before each trooping.

2. Fan. the fan really helps me a lot, I've had the batteries die and I fogged up even with the anti fogging stuff.

3. I installed some foam and neoprene around the top of the mouth area to help channel my hot steamy breath out the mouth holes and prevent it from floating up and fogging the lens.

4. yep watch your breathing, try to blow breath downward.

Here is a old post of mine on the 501st main board..I tried just about every suggestion mentioned above...this is the only thing that worked..I've got plenty of miles on it now..works great!! :

I posted this over at the Sith Lords Detachment, but I figured it may be a help for all types of costumes, so heres the post :

OK..I have a BIG lense fogging problem. Heres why..I wear glasses..and I basicaly have two lenses in my helmet, the lightly tinted amber buble lenses on the outside, and a set of dark flat lenses cut from a face shield on the inside of the bubble lenses to hide my eyes. So in total thats THREE lenses I have to keep fog free. On my last troop my lenses would fog instantly and not clear up no matter how I tried to control my breathing ( I was in the suit for 6hrs, though) ..I had two fans in my helmet that day, one in the chin vent blowing out, and one in the top of the mask blowing down onto my head. I had also used a Anti-Fog spray...didn't work at all..

I have been researching and experimenting with diferent fan positions and anti- fog stuff like crazy, and I think I may have found something that may work. In all of my searching I came across and ordered this:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Respro...sk--502324.html

basicly what the Rspro Foggy Mask is is a piece of neoprene that is formed to your face. It mounts in your helmet with velcro and directs your hot breath down away from your feild of vision. I had to cut a bit of the bottom away..it is designed for a motorcycle helmet with alot of room around the neck area. What it is doing now is isolating the hot breath down and out the mouth grill...I wore the mask for a while and tried to make the lenses fog by breathing extra hard ( to the point I got a little light headed :) )...nothing...no fog at all on any of the lenses..the Foggy mask seems comfortable and doesn't interfere with vision , breathing or my mic for the voice amp at all.

...The real test will be on the next troop...I changed my fan set up a bit and went for a slightly higher powered fan in the chin blowing out, and a much bigger fan in the top of the mask, now blowing out as a hot air exit fan.. heres a pic...it looks a bit caveman because I want to make sure everything works before I tidy it up:

IMG_1899.jpg

I'll be sure to update as I put some more "miles" on this set up...I am just really excited that I seem to have found something that will work! :)

UPDATE:THIS IS THE BEST!!! LENSES WILL NOT FOG...YAY! :)

I'm not sure why it works, but I found (quite accidentally) that sucking on a cough drop keeps my lenses from fogging up as much. It's sort of a sloppy patch, but if your lenses are fogging up really bad because of weather or whatever, it's a quick and easy solution to help mitigate the problem.

I was intrigued by this and gave it a shot in both my Spider Man costume (whose lenses fog like CRAZY) and my helmet, which isn't quite as bad. It actually made a good difference! Maybe it "cools" your breath or something? They give you that "cool breath" feeling, but I don't think they'd actually lower its physical temperature, of course. Whatever it is, it works!

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I do is when I am building the helmet I only apply adhesive above the eyes. As the adhesive dries it shrinks and cocks the lens up at the bottom of the eye that leaves about a quarter inch gab between the bottom of the lens and the eye sockets. You cant see the gap from the outside and having two "large" upward vents right above where you exhale goes a long way in preventing fogging.

• Like 1

Another thing I do is when I am building the helmet I only apply adhesive above the eyes. As the adhesive dries it shrinks and cocks the lens up at the bottom of the eye that leaves about a quarter inch gab between the bottom of the lens and the eye sockets. You cant see the gap from the outside and having two "large" upward vents right above where you exhale goes a long way in preventing fogging.

I saw something like this on the biker scout forums. OP really swore by it.

• 1 year later...

i have this done in a new tx helmet i just got and i was wondering was wondering why this was done ?? and so now i know

thanks smitty...

i also have a second tx in refurb and will do the same to it. ;)

The simplest way for not fogging up the lenses is..............................................................................

...............................................................................NOT TO BREATHE!!!! :blink:Just kidding!!!!

post-10238-1256585327_thumb.jpg

This is not the answer you are looking for... now move along....

Try anti-fog bikers spray it works great for me.

• 10 years later...
On 8/30/2008 at 7:17 AM, firebladejedi said:

I recomend using an anti-fog spray for bikers, works a treat every time :duim:

How do you put it on? Do you use a Q-tip to do it? Or what? Also do you have the Black series helmet? Did you put it on before you put yours together or after? If you got it later while it was already put together did you take your helmet apart to put it on? 

Edited by BlasianStormtrooper

26 minutes ago, BlasianStormtrooper said:

How do you put it on? Do you use a Q-tip to do it? Or what? Also do you have the Black series helmet? Did you put it on before you put yours together or after? If you got it later while it was already put together did you take your helmet apart to put it on? 

I've used anti fog ceramic spray. Just sprayed the lens and then buffed it out with a rag.. The sprays are temporary and need to be reapplied after the bond expires, which depends on the spray. In my experience, this was 4 hours. As its temporary, its sprayed, after you get your helmet assembled. Inside and out if needed. 

Black series helmets weren't a thing until around 2015/2016, so these posts from 2008 would be referencing vendor helmets