Doing a Sociology Project- Need your guy's help

Trooper_Skittles

For my Sociology 101 course, I've been asked to do some research on a subculture of choice. As an avid fan of both the Star Wars movies and Expanded Universe, I felt that the Star wars fan culture was a good chioce. So, this is where you guys come in. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to answer any of the following questions:

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars?

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise/

3) What got you into costuming?

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan?

Thanks for your guys' time and answers.

May the Force be with you.

Since I was 5 (1987) when my uncle played the first movie for me

A the great ships adn as I grew up the stories

My desire to join the 501st after hearing about the godo work they do

When first thinking about joining the 501st, I was daunted as to how to get started, I found this site and I am no longer concerned as there are great members here. Also, if I have a question regarding something in the SW universe, I can now look it up more quickly

1) Since i was about 7 or 8 i think, So roughly 12 years.

2) The films i guess (That too obvious?) lol

3) Seeing the TD/TK's in the movies. Still waiting to start my first costume though :(

4) Quite a big part, Lets me research all the different things about Star Wars. Wouldn't know a thing with out it really, lol.

Hope this helps.

1) I can't remember a time when I wasn't a fan. My brother got me watching the films when I was little. I don't remember seeing them for the first time, but I know I was completely obsessed by the time I was 5 :lol:

2) Spaceships.. space battles, AT-ATs, Stormtroopers, and all the monsters and aliens. Loved em!

3) I always wanted to be a Stormtrooper when I was little. When heard about 501st for the first time on the internet I started wanting to get into it. Seeing all the costumers at Celebration Europe sealed the deal and here I am!

4) I know I'd never have gotten into the costuming side of things if it wasn't for the internet. I wouldn't have known where to start if it wasn't for sites like these and all the awesome people sharing their advice. And it's great being able to talk about all things SW with like-minded fans :)

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? since 77

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise/ the paper mask's that came free with lolly pop's

3) What got you into costuming? The open availabilty of armor

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? global contact with like minded individuals

Thanks for your guys' time and answers. your welcome

May the Force be with you. Always

1) fan since first film, but had a resurgence lately with more time and money on my hands.

2) the unique Sci Fi story-telling of GL

3) saw TKs on the internet and thought, "Hey, I could do that and it would be very, very cool!"

4) Internet is a vast warehouse of knowledge and the ability to access it makes it easier to communicate with people via forums, tutorials, and project builds. It's critical for a fan to keep up with the lastest stuff available and where/who you can get it from.

Don G.

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? Was a fan as a child. became a fan again in 2000 because of episode I....

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise/ Empire Strikes Back blew me away. the snow speeders, Yoda, Boba Fett. That movie just was awesome. I loved the Stormtroopers to, you never got to see them enough.

3) What got you into costuming? I was looking on ebay for a Troop Transporter. I wanted to buy one because I had one as a kid. Then I stumbled across armor and the 501st. etc...

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? All the freaking threads are so addicting. Its like having best friends I have never met :)

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? - As long as I can remember. I was born in 1979 so I guess I do fall into that generation that grew up with SW. It's always found it's way into my life.

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise? - I was a kid, there were laser swords and troopers and Xwings, what's not to love? As I've grown up I've found more and more to enjoy in the franchise, going into the deeper levels of mythology and such.

3) What got you into costuming? - Seeing the pictures online and being insanely jealous! The smiles on peoples faces and the good work done by the 501st doesn't hurt either. Plus, the majority of the SW costumes are just so much fun to wear. You feel different wearing them.

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? - It's hard to imagine SW fandom without the internet right now. So much is interaction with people from all corners of the globe. Groups like the 501st couldn't exist without the help of the internet.

Since approximately 1982/83. I was born in 1979 but do remember seeing Return of the Jedi in theaters in 83.

Seeing Star Wars ANH on HBO as a kid. I think I was attracted to the swordfighting and the costumes. The stormtrooper image is still a very prominent one in my very first memories of Star Wars.

Childhood dream. I always wanted a stormtrooper costume. I've always been a fan of knights and armor etc, and it just played right into that. As a kid I thought that if I saved up maybe $20 (which seemed like it would be an excruciatingly long and difficult process) that I could send it to George Lucas and, in his infinite compassion, would see fit to send me one of the many stormtrooper costumes that he doubtless had lying around. - then I found the Wookieecantina website and history was made!

It allowed me to realize how large the fan base for Star Wars is. Growing up in the Star Wars vacumn between 1985 and c1992 was very difficult for me. I was in rural Iowa and NO ONE would admit to liking Star Wars. As the internet grew I became aware of websites and chat rooms where I could find plenty of support and comraderie. It allowed me to find other costumers and join the 501st. It's been invaluable in meeting likeminded people and sharing information and appreciation for Star Wars.

Since I saw ANH in 1977. Though I was a fan of the films I was never a collector of Star Wars stuff.

Seeing ANH made me a fan for life. It was so impressive and blew away every space sci-fi film to date (I was too young to appreciate Space Odessey 2001). The Stormtrooper really captured my imagination.

Availability of armor kits. I don't have the skills or time to build molds and vacuum table.

The internet is an excellent source of "how to's", film history, reference photos, and communicating with fellow fans.

For my Sociology 101 course, I've been asked to do some research on a subculture of choice. As an avid fan of both the Star Wars movies and Expanded Universe, I felt that the Star wars fan culture was a good chioce. So, this is where you guys come in. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to answer any of the following questions:

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? 1980... Saw ESB on the big screen...

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise. The costumes. Man, Vader is the reason I like Scifi

3) What got you into costuming? Always wanted to, Then the 501st sweetened the deal

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? Like minded people getting together.

I saw the movies in the late 80's (when i was a kid - born in '81)

always liked sci-fi stuff. fantasy. pretending your something else

reliving a childhood dream. stormtroopers were cool, and i wanted to be one

it makes it much easier to talk to people, fellow fans, about costuming. it also is a great resource on how to make a costume, where to go to get it, and what to do to improve your costume

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? Since the summer of 1977 (ANH)

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise/ I really liked the story - it's good, solid mythology. But I was startled by the total effect of the universe GL created. The Imperial cruisers with the massing of details upon details on the models was brilliant. Also, like a key fitting its lock, the movie tapped into what I think society had learned about space during the NASA space programs. The harsh, white lighting on the ships, the onion skin atmospheres on the planets. SW was a sensory feast that fed my imagination.

3) What got you into costuming? I thought the stormtroopers were the best. Really amazing. As a kid I tried to make a suit of armour out of paper mache (don't try it - it's impossible). But I kept the dream in a corner of my brain for another day. That one day came when I found an article about the 501st in the local paper. That germinated the mothballed idea and I went online to start researching it all out.

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? The internet keeps the whole thing alive. I use it for research and by combing through FISD I am slowly accumulating knowledge. None of my friends are SW fans, and I cannot wear the armour as much as I'd like, but by reading about others' exploits and trooping, I can continue to enjoy the hobby.

June 6th 1977. I was 11 years old.

I was a fan almost instantly after seeing it. I was up all night thinking about it.

My first costume was something resembling R2-D2. It was made out of a garbage can and a baby stroller. I stuffed myself inside and made beeping sounds until I almost passed out. That was one of many Star Wars costumes I made that summer in 77. It usually involved entertaining the younger kids in the neighborhood or re-enacting the movie in the front yard.

Although it's not required it sure puts an amazing amount of content and other fans at your fingertips. It was responsible in getting me back into costuming after a long attempt at being a so called normal person.

Since my older brothers saw it in 1977 and came home and drew pictures of Jawas for me and told me all about it.

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise?

Seeing ESB when it was released. In other words as soon as it became a franchise I was a fan.

My mom and dad. We are a costuming family and my mom would suggest things to make us, Jawas for one, for Halloween / Thanksgiving, birthdays, Saturday, Mid-week, etc. :D

In being a fan not much really. I was a fan before and I would still be without it. In ENHANCING my life as a fan, it's invaluable! It allows me to become part of a whole, tap into other fan's minds, share and interact easily no matter my geographical location.

1) How long have you been a fan of Star Wars? I remember seeing the trailer in December 1976 with my mom. I saw ANH the summer of 1977. I was a member of the original Star Wars fan club.

2) What first made you a fan of the franchise/ I have always loved science fiction. Before Star Wars the last great SciFi movie for me was 2001. The Star Wars story and special effects are wonderful. It was the story, the music and seeing that Star Destroyer coming across the scene in ANH. I was hooked and the addiction is legal. B)

3) What got you into costuming? Going to CIV and talking to members of the 501st.

4) What function does the Internet play in being a fan? Purchasing goodies, getting tips on assembling and modifying armor, talking to others who have the same interest, expanding one's knowledge base, acquiring new skills - I can rivet now! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Since 1977. I was 11 years old and my dad took me to see it opening weekend.

Watching a Star Destroyer go on forever on a 70 MM screen at the UA150 theater in Seattle. I was hooked

I was ALWAYS in to costuming. Before Star Wars it was Star Trek, Batman and Logans Run

It vastly increases the resources and the commeraderie available to us as fans. We receive instant feedback and gratification when we share concepts, exchange ideas or play show and tell. It lets even those in the hinterlands share in the collective fannish experience.

A: Since I was 5 years old (1985), my parents showed me the movies and instantly loved them and became obsessed with stormtroopers.

A: Seeing the movies I instantly became a fan and the image of the stormtrooper was burned into my memory still to this day. After that I always wanted to be a stormtrooper and wanted to have a set of armor of my own.

A: I had always liked costuming since I was a little boy, I used to wear Star Trek uniforms and collect props when I was little and go to conventions with my Mom and my brother. I grew out of it till a few years ago, then I put together a Ghostbusters costume for Halloween and that started it all again. After that I looked up stormtrooper armor on the internet and on Ebay and found out about the 501st. Then I finally got armor and joined up. One of the happiest days of my life! :D

A: It plays a big function. I can chat with likeminded individuals all around the world who share the same passion for Star Wars as I do. Without the net it would be hard to be in contact with all those different people. Also it makes it easier to check on the status of events and get information about costuming and all the aspects that go with it.

I have been a fan from the first moment of ANH. It is a love affair that is 31 years and still going strong!

I loved the toys- it just brought home the experience of seeing the movies again and again. We didn't have a whole bunch of money, so I basically coveted the merchandise in the stores when I was little but was lucky enough to get a few toys when I was a kid.

I went to Celebration III, on a whim, and that is when I was introduced to this "beast" called costuming. Again, it brought the Star Wars experience to life for me. When I left Indiana, I was searching the airport for Stormtroopers or Boba Fett or Darth Vader ;-) It was all just so impressive. I then had a Star Wars b-day party and was able to convince a few local NEG members to attend my party in costume and they just sucked me right in! It was all over then!

It is a great way to get info, to coordinate events, and to make personal connections with other crazy, I mean passionate, fans ;-)

I'll bite:

1) As with most, I've been a fan since the first viewing in May 1977. Collected the figures/playsets as a child; role played with he other kids in the neighborhood; was made fun of by the other kids; and rejoiced when the franchise was brought bcak to the big screen in 1999.

2) As I said, the toys were a big part of the experience but in reality, it was the idea of another world, another life and you know what? It just looked like fun! Who didn't want a lightsaber as a kid?

3) The story of R2-KT drew me to the Legion last year; costuming was a way to take part in that as well as relive a big part of my childhood. The friends I'm making are what continue to drive it. After having not been a part of the Star Wars/sci-fi community for years, I forgot how accepting everyone is and how much fun this can be.

4) The internet allows me to reach out to people I would only meet 1 or 2 times a year at conventions; it allows me to share a few problems and find unique solutions; and it connects me to the whole world and costs so very little to do so.

Since 5 years old.

The Movies played a huge role, but honestly it was disneyland that did it for me, back when they had the X-wing hanging inside the star tours shop with the Stormtrooper and Vader looking down at the people, it was exciting stuff as a kid, plus all the toys too.

I've always been interested in costuming i just never knew the magnitude of the the fan base behind costuming, it was like stepping back into disneyland again, what got me into star wars costuming would probably be both the impressive display the 501st showed everybody at C4.

Really the internet helped broaden communication between fans from anything as small as local city/county groups to state wide and international.

HI Nechayev, Just wondered if you got any further with the research on our subculture?

Anything of sociological interest jump out of the stat's :huh:

Just curious :)

Good point! The academic tear is (finally) over, and the course, I'm guessing, is completed.

What did you find out?

I hope you got a good grade....

1} Since 1978 When I saw it for the first time with my parents. I was 4 years old!

2} Definetly the toys! Must have been the largest part of my childhood was playing with all the figures and ships!

3) I always wanted to be a stormtrooper and finally obtained the means to make a boyhood dream come true!

4} The internet is huge! I would never had obtained my costume without the internet and would have never have met all these wonderful people who share my passion for Star Wars and its global appeal.