Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

I'm probably going to wait for a completed version from him as well since I've never soldered anything before. But I also got on the waiting list towards the end of November, so my wait might not be as long (fingers crossed). But if all else fails, I can learn how to do the soldering. I actually watched Echo solder some of the wires together at the armor party I went to last weekend and it didn't look too hard, it just takes time. After watching him put a fan together I at least know what I would need to do, but with my track record I'm sure I would solder at least one set of wires together incorrectly.

• Like 3

okay.. hehehe.. just a reminder.. IMMA GIRL! solder what? LOL.. kidding.. never done that in my life.. I've built stuff, used power tools, chainsaws, yes I grew up with fire fighters sooo.. I know how to start and put out fires.. Laugh.. but solder.. nodda.. Laugh

• Like 1

okay.. hehehe.. just a reminder.. IMMA GIRL! solder what? LOL.. kidding.. never done that in my life.. I've built stuff, used power tools, chainsaws, yes I grew up with fire fighters sooo.. I know how to start and put out fires.. Laugh.. but solder.. nodda.. Laugh

No worries, some people like to pretend they know, when they actually don't... It's best to understand your limits, or expand on test equipment first.

I have an update! :P

Brattie%20Trooper_zpsnezqxesn.jpg

ok.. okay!! Not to get you all excited.. that's not MY bucket! Laugh...

I have a wonderful visit from some white armor friends over the weekend - waves to Eric - That's Eric's Bucket!

Was a great visit and relaxed all the stress that was building up over the impending build. I also got to see his WICKED rig for his fans and feel more... hurmm.. not sure what the word is I'm looking for... I would say .. "supported" would be a good word I guess for my overall feeling after the visit.

I knew I could always pop on here and talk to everyone and find out stuff but meeting someone who is going through the same stuff you are and trying to work out build stuff just makes everything seem more.. "grounded" that's another good word I think for it all.

Eric and Amy were awesome and my kinda people which just made everything better.  I look forward to our next get together.

Funniest Moment:

Trying to put on the bucket and get my nose inside..  :smiley-sw013: <- it doesn't go on that way!!  Laugh.. Eric taught me a trick..  :dancing-trooper:

oh and I should have my own bucket this week which brings me to my next question.... dun dun daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

The Lens debate:

Eric mentioned Auckland Granger I think it was for lens replacements.. where can I get those? Does Crappy carry them?

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Alrighty.. well.. I have news... my build... has ... officially........

STARTED!!!!!!!!  :dancing-trooper:

So..

Working on my bucket.. first step.. the small hole to prevent pressure cracking for the brow..

Bucket3_zpspj2zjze2.jpg

OMG can you say nervous!! laugh - but it's done .. can barely see it with the brow but it does it's job. This is a zoomed in picture.. use the black line for reference.

Step 2

Tapering screw holes on the ears to make the screws more flush...

I may have to do a little more on this one.. but.. I think that's enough for now..

Bucket2_zpswzcxmaha.jpg

And.. Voila.. phase one of many complete.. Laugh

Brattie_Bucket_zpscfwdb1tr.png

• Like 4

hiya, I have read numerous threads that recommend putting a very small rounded edge at the end of the brow to help ensure that the pressure of the brow won't cause any issues and actually sits better. Those that I know are currently in their builds are also doing the small rounded hole.

I haven't heard of any actual cracking issues but I'm not taking a chance. You can't even see it really. :)

Edited by Brattie

hiya, I have read numerous threads that recommend putting a very small rounded edge at the end of the brow to help ensure that the pressure of the brow won't cause any issues and actually sits better. Those that I know are currently in their builds are also doing the small rounded hole.

I haven't heard of any actual cracking issues but I'm not taking a chance. You can't even see it really. :)

Ah ok very cool.  Good to know, thanks!

Alrighty.. well.. I have news... my build... has ... officially........

STARTED!!!!!!!! :dancing-trooper:

So..

Working on my bucket.. first step.. the small hole to prevent pressure cracking for the brow..

Bucket3_zpspj2zjze2.jpg

OMG can you say nervous!! laugh - but it's done .. can barely see it with the brow but it does it's job. This is a zoomed in picture.. use the black line for reference.

Step 2

Tapering screw holes on the ears to make the screws more flush...

I may have to do a little more on this one.. but.. I think that's enough for now..

Bucket2_zpswzcxmaha.jpg

And.. Voila.. phase one of many complete.. Laugh

Brattie_Bucket_zpscfwdb1tr.png

Awesome job!

Happy to see you received your built helmet in one piece :)

The punch hole is not really necessary there's no stress in that area, can you please post a closeup photo showing ear screws with the bigger taper?

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Sure thing mark. :) I tapered them so I could get the screw heads flat and more flush. The bucket looks awesome :)

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

https://www.northernsafety.com/Product/1213/3M-Welding-Shade-IR3-Polycarbonate-9-x-145-x-0080-Safety-Face-Shield-Visor

Shade 3 Green Visor is what you're looking for. I got mine at Praxair here in windsor it was less than 15 bucks tax included. Your should see if you have one in your area!

• Like 1

Looking for lens replacements:

This one

or

This one ????

Hey mate I'm doing an AP build too and had to replace the supplied green lenses too. I went with the dark green ones from trooper bay. They're great as you just cannot see anything from the outside. They are one long thicker piece of plastic then can be mounted in one piece or cut into two. Trooper bay has a video for how to fit them-i followed this (I really need to update my thread with all this, now I'm home again)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Alrighty.. lets make some notes on some things here guys...

I am trying to locate all the threads over the past zillion I've been reading on the best of "how to" for items and why.

The Brow Hole

The Hole at the brow was recommended in a thread I read a while back and I made a note of it in my journal. I will do all I can to protect and ensure nothing happens to my gear.. that being said.. there is nothing wrong with my bucket. It is awesome, however I am going to do all precautionary items and preventative items possible to ensure my armor is safe and stays that way for many years to come. If that means a very small adjustment to the brow ends.. then so be it. :P Better safe now than sorry later :D

Follow link to TrooperBay discussing the hole.

https://youtu.be/pG0saH3WmA0?t=2m22s

The Taper

I will post a close up of the taper as soon as I get home.

The screws on the bucket sit out slightly (which is normal for all screws in any material).

It was again mentioned a while ago about using a drill bit (WITH NO DRILL ATTACHED just had to stress that point) to gently manipulate the ear holes to help the screws sit more flush.

It's a visual thing and I'm SUPER picky about everything representing the builders great work and my own efforts and modifications in the best possible way.

Bucket Foam

Lastly, there was foam with the bucket when it arrived. (Thanks Mark.. great stuff!!)

This large circular piece that is oh so awesome. :) I plan on using it as well as similar stuff as I move forward but I also have my military pads that I'll work in to ensure the bucket won't move much on my head but still allow Air Flow.

Also had foam on the inside of the ears covering the bolts.. I liked this idea and have held onto the foam.. I am going to try and figure out a velcro way to remount the ear foam however as I know I'll need access to those bolts now and then.

I also have to figure out a way to paint the inside of the bucket and cover the foam. I plan on finding some black material for the bucket foam so it'll match the interior of my bucket when it's complete. So everything is coming out for personal modifications.

Advice

A wise Trooper once said "Keep the bucket simple" (look Ken.. I'm quoting you :P ). I plan on listening as much as I can to those words while still achieving some of the items I would like for comfort and practicality.

Lens

Now I just need to find the darker lenses.

Thank you all for the posts about lenses.. but if you could be very specific on where in CANADA I can get these that would be more beneficial. As I am now very concerned with the "Get #3 shade, Get #5 shade, Get #4 shade" stuff that I have very little clue about.

All this shade talk is making me feel like a very confused stormtroopin' nerf-herder.

Please keep it simple.. what do I need to buy, where do I get it in CANADA that I can actually go and pick it up. USD rates are too expensive and I don't want to drive 500 miles to get it.

Crappy Tire, Lowes.ca, Home Depot.ca, Princess Auto. All in my range of places. Providing product numbers to the exact item best for this project will get you a hug!

Last Words

so.. Build is on pause while I do some more research on the best ways to mount lenses and pick up some black material to cover the awesome foam. :P

Some say Tape, some say velcro.. I like Eric's way with the screws and posts.. gives it a more "real  feel" to it.

So for now.. my bucket sits.. wrapped in a soft sweater in my Armor Transport locked away until I have what I need to continue modifications.

Edited by Brattie

Okay.. I found an Acklands Grainger near me in Mississauga.

here's what they have via website that I can go check out...

Option 1 - FACE SHIELD ACETATE DRK GR 15-1/2X9

Option 2 - VISOR GR-8X15.5IN-P/CARBONATE .040M

Option 3 - VISOR POLYCARBON 8X15-1/2IN GRN

These are all around the 20 to 30 mark.

Okay.. I found an Acklands Grainger near me in Mississauga.

here's what they have via website that I can go check out...

Option 1 - FACE SHIELD ACETATE DRK GR 15-1/2X9

Option 2 - VISOR GR-8X15.5IN-P/CARBONATE .040M

Option 3 - VISOR POLYCARBON 8X15-1/2IN GRN

These are all around the 20 to 30 mark.

Go there, try on and look in mirror, see if you can see, and see your eyes behind them... Keep in mind there won't be any background lighting, as your head is inside a bucket. You need to be able to see though... Well, see as best we can with the bucket on that is.

Problem with A-G is its not a store, it's a supply desk and a wear house so it's hard to go to just look. <br><br>

Just remember to buy a face shield because you don't want to risk heat bending these things of you don't need to and the flat stuff sucks to make fit compared