Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

I know that it's never best for someone learning to try and help another learning especially when it comes to this stuff.. putting your heads together to work through a small issue with some experienced advice is alright.. but never newb helpin newb.. bad things come from that.. ~ Laughs ~

Maybe send him a PM so you guys can chat :)

Now.. the Hot tub trick question.. what do you suggest is the best way to bend this stuff.. ??

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

I know that it's never best for someone learning to try and help another learning especially when it comes to this stuff.. putting your heads together to work through a small issue with some experienced advice is alright.. but never newb helpin newb.. bad things come from that.. ~ Laughs ~

Maybe send him a PM so you guys can chat :)

Now.. the Hot tub trick question.. what do you suggest is the best way to bend this stuff.. ??

Come on Angie - you've come a lot further than that (don't let that other place hinder your spunk) - you're a researcher with a plethora of threads tagged and your not going to be a recruit forever

The hot tub has to be in a big pot - boiling and remain boiling (197*F if you have a digital thermometer). From the sounds of it leave it in for 10-15 seconds and use gloves to start to curve. Repeat process until desired shape/ curve achieved.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Lol.. okay.. I shouldn't work on my build or this thread while I'm having a few drinks..

Look what I did with the old visor!!!

frustration_zpsmr96pa41.jpg

There is nothing more fun than making funny faces at my cell while thinking about my build! ~ Laughs~

Thanks A-Aron.. I'll try that tomorrow.. not sure if I have a big enough pot.. but will try it again anyway :P

If at first you don't succeed.. try try.. then beat the you know what out of it!

hahhah I posted a funny picture and scared everyone away!! :P

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

Hey Dan.. so yeah.. thought of that as well.. so right now.. I not only have the one piece I cut out wrapped to try to bed it all.. I took the remainder of the large visor and am bending that as well.. I'll see what a night like that does.. if not.. then it's the hot water bath to see what I can do.. :P

I'm going to pause for a bit tonight as I'm dipping into my crown for some R and R time.. seee..

visortime_zpshhsiizue.jpg

and while that's happening I'm taping up my frown for the eventual Painting..

Do a search for bubble lenses as well.... Cutting a strip wide enough for the eyes, try and find something stiff that'll match the curvature of inside the bucket, tape the two together. Warm up your oven, I think the temp was 250 F, put the taped lens material in there, let sit for three to five minutes, keep checking every three, as you don't want the lenses to melt. Also put the assembly on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil in case. As you may guess, the lenses must be taped to something that can withstand heat of 250 F so cardboard is a no go.

I can't find the hero lens thread... Maybe it's too old. The guy made his own bubble lenses in the oven, I was trying to find what temp... Maybe try 150 F first, it may take longer to do the curve your looking for, but at least it won't melt the plastic to bits. If it's thick plastic, you may need higher temp...

Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 1

The visors I have are a little thick.. I know that's part of it.. but it's good too.. now I just have to get the shape!! I did a rough cut leaving some extra space for putting in posts.. and I plan on sanding and making them nicer once I have it all set.. but I am floundering a little. I don't have a printer so I can't even print out templates.

Anyway! Hopefully cooler heads will win the battle tomorrow.. for now.. throwing in the towel on the eyes.. which are holding up EVERYTHING else!!! .. My bucket sits in pieces.. and that's so sad..  :(

I took it apart thinking it was best for dealing with the visor.. but it's depressing..

nite all.. :6:

I purchased the thick green lens material from Trooperbay, and cut mine into individual lenses.

I tried the "hot tub" boiling water trick, and that did not work.

I finally used a heat gun on them, and that made them hot enough to bend. It took a while to get them warmed up, and I practiced on a scrap piece before trying to bend them, as I didn't know how long I had to heat it to make it soft enough (ended up being a little over 60 seconds, while moving the gun around constantly so that it heated evenly).

However, it did finally bend like I wanted, and they are now bolted into the helmet. :)

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

I purchased the thick green lens material from Trooperbay, and cut mine into individual lenses.

I tried the "hot tub" boiling water trick, and that did not work.

I finally used a heat gun on them, and that made them hot enough to bend. It took a while to get them warmed up, and I practiced on a scrap piece before trying to bend them, as I didn't know how long I had to heat it to make it soft enough (ended up being a little over 60 seconds, while moving the gun around constantly so that it heated evenly).

However, it did finally bend like I wanted, and they are now bolted into the helmet. :)

Hope that helps!

Oven at 150 F would work then... Put them it in for a minute, watching with the light on through the glass... Take them out with gloves on, and play with them until they fit. If they need more time to heat, leave in for another minute... Make sure you wear gloves though.

I got the same dark lenses stuff from TB as well. I cut both of my eyes into individual lenses. I actually didn't bend them at all, there is a slight gap at the bottom of the lenses however it's not noticeable  unless you are "nose to nose" and looking down the lenses to see it. It's literally 2 mm at most. I think will help with ventilation and potential fogging issues anyways..

edit:

I also added small abs support brackets to the Tnuts  that I used to spread out the pressure that was on the nuts. I did all of this back in Jan and everything is holding up fine.

Edited by Jinsei
  • Like 1

Alrighty.. Updates.. :P

Thank you all for your input and ideas on the best way to make it bend.. my goodness it was a day of battling but I think I won.. somewhat..

My original idea of doing 2 separate lenses was scrapped and I went with the one solid piece. I totally plan on reshaping this piece to look prettier once I have the posts and all completed...

as it stands right now :

I utilized the "Oatey - Fix-it-stic" and created 3 posts

- first post in the center between the eyes

- second two posts on the lower corner of each eye to help ensure the gap at the bottom for ventilation

Although I didn't get the exact desired bend I do believe I have a fairly decent set up for my lenses and once the fix it stuff dries.. I'm giving it until tomorrow I can be sure that all worked well.

I had some issues with the posts within the fix-it-stic but over all I believe it will hold and will work well once it hardens.

One of the issues I had was when placing the posts the lens thought it would be funny to stick itself to the fix-it-stuff and then made it hard to get off.. I resolved this by using some tape on the lens to help and was able to remove the lens once the posts were in place and then gently massage the putty around until the posts were nice and snug.

I've checked on it a few times.. and I guess I didn't mix it enough as the dry time is taking forever.. all looks good though and it is hardening at a slower rate.. but looks to be doing well.

Fingers crossed.

If it doesn't work.. I'll figure something out tomorrow :P

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Hurmm.. well.. I was cleaning up my stuff and took all the tape and such off the visor piece for my bucket so I could start to prep it for a light sanding of the edges and smoothing it off and this is what I found..

the visor is perfectly smooth on both sides.. there is not a scratch or anything on the part that you would see through.. but when you look through it.. it looks unclear.. when you hold it up to the light.. here's what it shows..

unclear%20visor_zpspxpp1iqr.png

Sighs.. I can't have eyes that are already obstructed.. yet another set back.. and here I thought I was taking a step forward.. anyone have ideas other than handing off my bucket to Eric and hoping he can fix me up some lenses?

Feeling defeated right now..

Edited by Brattie

Best bet is to walk into a place where you can get lens material from on hand, instead of ordering through catalogue, as you can try before you buy sort of deal. Welding goggles are a good place to start... Think you can find a pair at Crappy Tire. Not the MIG type welding ogles, but the acetylene torch style... They're not so dark unlike the MIG welding ones.<br><br>

You may have to adjust your lens holders though....

Edited by TK 2759
  • Like 1

Alright.. First..

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!

Second..

I stepped back and did the OVEN thing this time with the lens.. it took 350 for 7 minutes to get this sucker to bend to a wire stand I made to better match the bucket.

Lensawesome_zpshpiy9bzq.jpg

Taaa daaaa.. soo I should.. and I am saying SHOULD.. be able to fix up the lenses once I finish.. well.. here's the thing...

Front%20Paint_zps8838s78e.jpgBackPaint_zpsp3ks5njm.jpg

PAINTING!!!.. MUAH HAA HAAAAAA.. yes yes.. I know.. go ahead and yell at me all you peoples against interior bucket painting but in the end.. it's all mine and I'm going to make it awesome!!!

I have the pads done as well and they are just waiting for the 2nd coat to go on later today or maybe tomorrow and then I'll fix the lenses and reassemble.. in the mean time I am trying to source where I want my Audio Assist System when I get to it.

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 5

I'm not a fan of black inside the interior but all looks good so far. Hope you can see out of the lens material. Good job with the oven tip, and glad it went well for you. Those look like some pretty sturdy lenses too.

• Like 1

Hurmm.. well.. I was cleaning up my stuff and took all the tape and such off the visor piece for my bucket so I could start to prep it for a light sanding of the edges and smoothing it off and this is what I found..

the visor is perfectly smooth on both sides.. there is not a scratch or anything on the part that you would see through.. but when you look through it.. it looks unclear.. when you hold it up to the light.. here's what it shows..

unclear%20visor_zpspxpp1iqr.png

Sighs.. I can't have eyes that are already obstructed.. yet another set back.. and here I thought I was taking a step forward.. anyone have ideas other than handing off my bucket to Eric and hoping he can fix me up some lenses?

Feeling defeated right now..

Don't feel bad for something that's out of your control - it looks like either the plastic wasn't warm enough when you bent it or the plastic doesn't react well with heat.

This was your first attempt and experience - you are going to face gremlins along the way - you learn from them and we learn through you

• Like 2

Thanks guys.. :P

Okay.. I thought the same thing about the plastic maybe not reacting well to the heat.. but the area's that were bent didn't have as much of that .. for lack of a better term "liney stuffs". The biggest problem being though that the areas were right around where you have to look out.

Anyway.. the "liney stuffs" happened with the Hot Tub treatment.. so with setting up a wire stand with tin foil, and heating the oven to 350 .. I managed to get it to mold nicely. As I had shaped the wires like my bucket it should fit nicely. There was some slight warping but nothing I think that will cause any issue. I plan on making it look pretty tonight and sanding the edges into a nice round smooth surface and then bolting them into place..

I also used little scraps from the lenses to reinforce the ears. This will eventually give me a good surface for mounting things down the road if I so desire.

After the visor lenses are installed I will then work on a removable mesh for the frown. I think I still have some screen door stuff around.

If I am lucky I hope to have my bucket completed by Wednesday of this week. I'm going to fix up the pads a bit more.. (need to find my hot glue sticks) and then set up a velcro system for them.

so for now..

we are moving along... :dancing-trooper:

• Like 4

Alrighty Everybody .. it's time for an UPDATE!!!

The tape has been removed and soon I'll be working on the lenses and have them installed.

I think I'm going to do some touch up work here and there but am pleased to report - NO over spray :)

Then it's mesh time.. I still have to locate where I put it.. and once all that's done I'm going to put it all back together and smile big. Laugh.

I can sense that the end is near for my bucket..

On a side note:

I picked up an external 5V 1A battery that will be running my fans when I get to build them. Just waiting on the order of the fans and setting up time to sit with Knockerbot (Eric) as he guides me through yet another learning curve.. I've never soldered in my life! :P

• Like 1

OMG I am famous!!!

From 2:10 to 2:11 you see my arm as I walked out the main door.. Black, white and red! hehehe.. I was there hanging out with the guys talking to them :P

• Like 2

Don't you hate those moments when something flashes through your mind...

I just imagined our build threads as an ongoing horror story.. 

Character list:

The Villain: The ever present possibility of a major Mess up.. (for this let us call him Jason).. it follows you and waits for you to trip and fall .. as everyone does at some point.. but will you get up in time?????!!!!

The Heroes: The Fellow troopers and friends trying to get you to the end of the movie and sometimes succumb to the dark depths of disaster.....

The Main Character: the builder

The Description of our movie should read:

Rated R - 18+ May contain possible foul language at times of strife

This movie is an endless journey of people versus plastic in their ever lasting duel to see who will win.  The builder strives for complete control over the plastic menace in order to create the most awesome relic of their natural lives. Meanwhile, the sinister mess up (Jason) watches closely and following the builder's every move as the progress along this darkened path. 

Will they survive this journey?????

...only time will tell..

~ Enter eerie music here ~

:popcorn:

Oh yeah that music sets the mood!

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 3

of course! :) I value your help :) You are such a good worker and do great things and so creative and helpful.. did I say helpful yet?

• Like 1