Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Angie

Thanks for posting the ear screws photos, it's hard to get them to sit 100% flush they tend to always sit at angle, every single helmet I built the screws never sit 100% flush even though I make a bigger taper but it does help trick the eye since they sit deeper in slot.

For the darker thicker lens I used automotive 3M mounting tape, its grey with the red peel off backing available at Canadian Tire, I got the lens from trooperbay which is also a one strip that goes across both eye sockets, I installed it exactly like my original lens strip but using the 3M tape instead and worked great.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Angie

Thanks for posting the ear screws photos, it's hard to get them to sit 100% flush they tend to always sit at angle, every single helmet I built the screws never sit 100% flush even though I make a bigger taper but it does help trick the eye since they sit deeper in slot.

For the darker thicker lens I used automotive 3M mounting tape, its grey with the red peel off backing available at Canadian Tire, I got the lens from trooperbay which is also a one strip that goes across both eye sockets, I installed it exactly like my original lens strip but using the 3M tape instead and worked great.

Mark (AP)

Hiya Mark,

Anytime.. you're awesome so any time you need something.. just let me know. :)

Thank you for the tips on your mounting technique. I plan on having a back up ability but I am going to create mounts within the bucket for screwing lenses to the faceplate. I want to give the bucket a non-toy / non-plastic look.

This is the reason I am also going to paint the inside of the bucket black.

That AWESOME.. and it is awesomely comfy too.. foam you put in for me will be utilized. I am going to Michael's to get some fabric spray glue and some black fabric and I'm going to create little pads with them and put them pretty much where they were before.. but Velcro'd in. That way I can clean them.

You are right about the ear screws.. trying to get them flat is a chore. Laugh. The tapering does help a little bit, but as you are removing material from an area where there could be stress I would think placing some reinforcement behind them is a good idea. That's what I plan on doing anyway.

:)

For those just joining my now Build thread and not just a research and chat thread.. Welcome.. I noticed I have a few more followers now. :) Welcome aboard the brattie Train! :) Next stop.. 501st approval! :dancing-trooper:

• Like 2

Hey Angie, what did you use to make it sit better?  A drill bit?

Dang that black outline is perfect!

okay.. I wanted to go a little further into discussion on the "Ear Screw Taper"

Listen up good guys.. if you are going to do this here is what I have found...

Be Careful as some drill bits to Catch which will cause the drill bit to Bite at the plastic and could take out a chunk.

****I DO NOT RECOMMEND STEEL OR WOOD DRILL BITS AS THEY TEND TO BITE!!!******

I found a MASONRY drill bit works best..

The tip should look like this: Masonry_drill_bit_zpsuriyigf1.jpg

It will SLOWLY take little bits away from the plastic.

I can't stress it enough.. if you wish to try this.. use MASONRY DRILL Bits and do it by hand.. DO NOT use a drill!!

With a little pressure and good support you should find that the MASONRY drill bit will take little bits away in a very controlled manner.

Lastly.. with all things.. if you are taking away material you should replace some in order to prevent weakness. With that I am suggesting that you reinforce the ear holes on the back side. I am going to drill a hole in some scrap plastic and glue to the back of the ear to give the holes extra support.

Here is a diagram of what I am considering to reinforce the ears on my Bucket after having the screw holes tapered.

Ear%20Support_zpsg22obq3g.png

The addition of more plastic to the back side of the ear will give it more stability for wear and tear down the road.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

okay.. I wanted to go a little further into discussion on the "Ear Screw Taper"

Listen up good guys.. if you are going to do this here is what I have found...

Be Careful as some drill bits to Catch which will cause the drill bit to Bite at the plastic and could take out a chunk.

****I DO NOT RECOMMEND STEEL OR WOOD DRILL BITS AS THEY TEND TO BITE!!!******

I found a MASONRY drill bit works best..

The tip should look like this: Masonry_drill_bit_zpsuriyigf1.jpg

It will SLOWLY take little bits away from the plastic.

I can't stress it enough.. if you wish to try this.. use MASONRY DRILL Bits and do it by hand.. DO NOT use a drill!!

With a little pressure and good support you should find that the MASONRY drill bit will take little bits away in a very controlled manner.

Lastly.. with all things.. if you are taking away material you should replace some in order to prevent weakness. With that I am suggesting that you reinforce the ear holes on the back side. I am going to drill a hole in some scrap plastic and glue to the back of the ear to give the holes extra support.

Here is a diagram of what I am considering to reinforce the ears on my Bucket after having the screw holes tapered.

Ear%20Support_zpsg22obq3g.png

The addition of more plastic to the back side of the ear will give it more stability for wear and tear down the road.

Hope this helps :)

Pre-stamping your desired drill location with a nail will help with preventing your bit from going where it's not supposed to.

Hope that helps when you get your kit and be careful using mason bits as there is more friction that can heat and warp your abs.

Beautiful work kiddo!

Hahah A-Aron - the mason bit thing was for helping to manually create tapers for your ears to help the screws set deeper.. if you are creating friction then you are superman.. as I said.. you should not use a drill.. hand turns only and gently!

Also.. here's what I got on todays shopping trip!!!!

Inside%20Bucket%20Stuff_zpsfrsezmsr.jpg

That's red and black fabric for putting over the bucket padding.. I think they are going to be red.. the ones that were supplied anyway.. the ones I have from the military are grey.. but I think the red will work nice and can spray adhesive it all together..

Oh.. but look.. is that 2 Visors??? Under $30 you say.. well lucky me.. hahhaha.. I jumped on a mess up by AG.. hehehehe..

I know also that Ken wants some.. sooo I have extra to play with now.. here's how dark they are..

Visor_zps6j5t8qwz.jpg

Even with back lighting you can only make out the silhouette of my face sorta.. Laugh. And I can see through it fine.. like wearing sun glasses.

Hahah A-Aron - the mason bit thing was for helping to manually create tapers for your ears to help the screws set deeper.. if you are creating friction then you are superman.. as I said.. you should not use a drill.. hand turns only and gently!

Also.. here's what I got on todays shopping trip!!!!

Inside%20Bucket%20Stuff_zpsfrsezmsr.jpg

That's red and black fabric for putting over the bucket padding.. I think they are going to be red.. the ones that were supplied anyway.. the ones I have from the military are grey.. but I think the red will work nice and can spray adhesive it all together..

Oh.. but look.. is that 2 Visors??? Under $30 you say.. well lucky me.. hahhaha.. I jumped on a mess up by AG.. hehehehe..

I know also that Ken wants some.. sooo I have extra to play with now.. here's how dark they are..

Visor_zps6j5t8qwz.jpg

Even with back lighting you can only make out the silhouette of my face sorta.. Laugh. And I can see through it fine.. like wearing sun glasses.

My apologies for misunderstanding - my bad

• Like 1

It sure is falling into place.. now I have stuff to work on!!

I sure don't need more excitement in my life.. but wow..

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

I know tell me about it! I was horrified to see it this morning as well.. but you know what.. with my bucket on it all looks green.. and green is a good spring color! :)

• Like 3

That Elmers spray glue is crap just return it and get the 3M super 77 brand at home depot for a few dollars more and a much bigger can,  trust me it doesn't compare you will just waste your time, I experienced it first hand when I tried to cheap out when I ran out of the 3M, the foam in all helmets just started to fall off after a few hours, same with some paper glued on a box, real crappy stuff!!!

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

Thanks for tip Mark. I used it just as a tac for the fabric. I glue gunned the fabric on the back. Then I will glue gun the velcro onto that and then return the to the bucket after paint.

Having a hard time with the lenses. Just doing one t work out what I need to do. The visor is a good thickness so I am molding it into a cur a bit.

• Like 1

alright..

First the pads  as they are happy times..

pads_zpsv6qvdv7x.jpg

Red pads for a eventually black interior.. kinda neat eh?

It's costume silk.. it's nice.

Yes I know they aren't glued tight on the sides.. I left a little bit for expansion as I know it will squish a bit once it's worn for a while.. plus the pad has to curve into the top of the bucket.

Alright.. for the bad.. and I will do my best to not swear.

I measured and cut out a piece for one eye.. NO IT IS NOT CURVED.. GAH! anyway.. trying to get it to curve is a major thing.. I tried the hot water soak.. I tried even a freakin' lighter.. I am going to try boiling it to see if that works.. for now.. I have it bent into a curve slightly more than I need for my bucket.. and am leaving that over night.. if that doesn't curve it enough.. it's boiling water tomorrow!!!

The eyes are really starting to get me mad! I'm not happy with em at all.. Trying to get them to sit at the top but leave a gap at the bottom while curving.. and I haven't even done the mounts yet!!!

I am banging my head on my desk here.. anyway.. am going to sleep on it and wait and see what happens by the morning.. if all else fails.. I'm going to cook the buggers!!!

The visors I have are a little thick.. I know that's part of it.. but it's good too.. now I just have to get the shape!! I did a rough cut leaving some extra space for putting in posts.. and I plan on sanding and making them nicer once I have it all set.. but I am floundering a little. I don't have a printer so I can't even print out templates.

Anyway! Hopefully cooler heads will win the battle tomorrow.. for now.. throwing in the towel on the eyes.. which are holding up EVERYTHING else!!! .. My bucket sits in pieces.. and that's so sad..  :(

I took it apart thinking it was best for dealing with the visor.. but it's depressing..

nite all.. :6:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Hey Dan.. so yeah.. thought of that as well.. so right now.. I not only have the one piece I cut out wrapped to try to bed it all.. I took the remainder of the large visor and am bending that as well.. I'll see what a night like that does.. if not.. then it's the hot water bath to see what I can do..  :P

I'm going to pause for a bit tonight as I'm dipping into my crown for some R and R time.. seee..

visortime_zpshhsiizue.jpg

and while that's happening I'm taping up my frown for the eventual Painting..

Edited by Brattie

Yes.. I took the model number you gave me and NO.. it wasn't and as it was from the book.. I couldn't actually see it.. they had to order it in.. Bah.. still was a good deal.. anyway.. I'll find a way to make these work!

If it's the last thing you do!! Muah haa haaaaa.. ~ laughs ~

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

I am looking through, maybe I am overlooking it. Was your helmet trimmed? Or Did you have to trim it? I have an AP raw bucket and could use some advice for a 1st timer. Coming along nicely for you though :)

Edited by Vexus
  • Like 1

Hiya Preston.. Mark did the work for me because he is an awesome guy. If you want really good advice.. don't ask me!!! ~laugh~  I'm a newbie and just learning.. Laugh, however Dan (TK2759) that frequents my thread might be able to help you out.. he's pretty cool. :)

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1