Anovos TK armor preorder

Going back a few posts the thing to remember about the Anovos TK Build group is that there are also already a few seasoned vets on this forum that I have spotted that are members who are ready and willing to make sure it is built right, and I have spent all day yesterday and have started doing the same today watching the TK 1636 videos on youtube as recommended by my local Garrison, it will come down to the individual how they build theirs, but Anovos did provide the kick in the rear to get me started, and I don't plan on taking too many shortcuts to get my armor done. As long as people remember the motto of the FISD "troopers helping troopers" then the Anovos armors should be able to proudly stand next to the ATAs, TMs, RSs, and other legion approved armors.

• Like 1

Though I haven't tried it yet it shouldn't be too difficult being the helmet is held together via the ear screws and an additional screw which are removable. 

Hopefully the faceplate and dome aren't glued. Or if they are hopefully it's an E6000 sort of glue rather than ABS cement.

I'll most likely need to adjust mine for my Sandtrooper.

:smiley-sw013:

Hopefully the faceplate and dome aren't glued. Or if they are hopefully it's an E6000 sort of glue rather than ABS cement.

I'll most likely need to adjust mine for my Sandtrooper.

:smiley-sw013:

You could also order a helmet kit if adjusting the assembled one is difficult. The Tested helmet build video made it sound like trial and error to get the faceplate lined up.

I wish they would have had an option to get the helmet kit with the armor kit.

Yep, and they're one of the things I'd really like a few opinions from veteran TKs/builders on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not a veteran, only built one kit so far...  But my two cents:

Following the directions will get you base approval for the 501st no problem. It's missing a bunch of stuff for higher level certs, but that's ok for 90% of troopers out there.  The only thing I really don't like is the use of CA glue.  It's going to lead to a lot of frustration for first timers, if they misalign something like the shoulder straps and have no easy way to fix it.  (I know I did my shoulder straps twice, and my sniper knee at LEAST twice... and the cover strips on the back of the calves, because I put it on the wrong one... E-6000 saved my bacon plenty of times, is what I'm saying.

Now, anyone who is here and wants to go that extra step will probably toss out 90% of the velcro, do it all up with snaps, put white elastic straps under the shoulders straps, add in the three rivets on the side of the ab plate, get rubber handguards, and clean up some of the paint on the helmet...

But I could see completed builds over a weekend with superglue and the provided parts, which is kind of amazing.  Not saying they'll be sized exactly to the person wearing it, but it'll be together and more or less troopable!

• Like 4

Not a veteran, only built one kit so far... But my two cents:

Following the directions will get you base approval for the 501st no problem. It's missing a bunch of stuff for higher level certs, but that's ok for 90% of troopers out there. The only thing I really don't like is the use of CA glue. It's going to lead to a lot of frustration for first timers, if they misalign something like the shoulder straps and have no easy way to fix it. (I know I did my shoulder straps twice, and my sniper knee at LEAST twice... and the cover strips on the back of the calves, because I put it on the wrong one... E-6000 saved my bacon plenty of times, is what I'm saying.

Now, anyone who is here and wants to go that extra step will probably toss out 90% of the velcro, do it all up with snaps, put white elastic straps under the shoulders straps, add in the three rivets on the side of the ab plate, get rubber handguards, and clean up some of the paint on the helmet...

But I could see completed builds over a weekend with superglue and the provided parts, which is kind of amazing. Not saying they'll be sized exactly to the person wearing it, but it'll be together and more or less troopable!

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I'll go with E6000 instead of CA of course. And I'll do some more reading of these boards, as you guys in the US will be further along by the time I will be able to start my build. I've no doubt there will be excellently documented build threads in the next couple of days and weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you talking the whole thing? Actually for things like the front of the shins, thighs, or biceps, I guess CA can be OK. Heck, I used to use ABS cement. What worries me more is that people may glue stuff fully (biceps, thighs) without trooping a time or two. I've had several folks even with E6000 who glued early, only to find out they were too tight or else had board short looks, which are equally as bad.

At least starting out with velcro you can get a sense of how you want it after a few hours of wearing it in the field, which you can't do if you just try it on at home.

Personally I like snaps/straps too, but then perhaps it would have added too much cost?

My $.02...

I think my issue with them telling people to use CA is that A: the instructions have nothing at all related to how it should fit your body and the tuning required to get it to fit correctly, and B: Anovos doesn't have spare parts available. I think there's tons of people jumping into this that are going to make a mistake and wish they hadn't used CA...or, like you said, troop in it for a few hours and learn what works and what doesn't, and want to make a change.

The other thing I see is that it looks like the included velcro is sticky-back style, which based on 10 minutes with the helmet is just about worthless. The head cinch strap, green lens, etc. are held on with it and it all came off...either in shipping or the first time I tried to make an adjustment. In the helmet at least, the sticky side is weaker than the velcro bite.

Edited by aramis

Ordered on 4/17/15 at Celebration. Received Fri 1/22/16 in SoCal.

Taking all the parts out is a little intimidating! I'm most worried about the trim lines and where to leave return edges. I've only built one previous costume -- Biker Scout-- and those pieces were already rough trimmed.

There's some ear gap on the helmet unfortunately. And I don't like the way the helmet hard-hat liner and visor lens are only loosely held by Velcro but that just means it's very adjustable, right? :-)

Photo caption:

"where should I begin?"

5e82b64731737594a28ce323d81f7edc.jpg

Ordered on 4/17/15 at Celebration. Received Fri 1/22/16 in SoCal.

Taking all the parts out is a little intimidating! I'm most worried about the trim lines and where to leave return edges. I've only built one previous costume -- Biker Scout-- and those pieces were already rough trimmed.

Trim everything on the lines provided... and then get rid of the return edge on the wrist end of the forearms and the ankle ends of the calves.  That's a good start.  (:

• Like 2

All it would have taken was an email, I would have asked them for a kit but I wanted the lining... which they abandoned. :(

I did email asking for it in kit form and they said that this wasn't possible. If I want a kit helmet then they suggested buying one separately.

I ordered on May 4 (hemmed and hawed too long on the sizing details) and shipping notification is in.  Delivery expected next Wednesday.  :D

(is it wednesday yet?)

I can't tell you how happy I am to read this, given that I ordered on May 4 as well. :)

As to content in this thread, well, it seems to me that it's simply discussing the preorder.  Ship dates and receipt dates seem pretty relevant to me, given the high interest and high numbers of orders.

Comparisons and build threads belong elsewhere, at this point, IMO. :)  For what my opinion is worth, at least...

I can not wait for the first full honest reviews from people in the 501st already. I have to wait to see if they do another run. Sucks it may be the end of the year since I got into this way to late to get the great deal at $350.00 or $650.00. I am expecting the price to go up. Any ideas on that?? :(. Seen some of the pictures the helmets were a bit dinged up already. Hope that is a easy fixed issue.

The thread to watch is this one:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/

Tony (ukswrath) is one of the troopers in charge of costume approval for the 501st, and is building the Anovos kit to Level 3 / Centurion standards, in this build.  If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!!!

• Like 2

You could also order a helmet kit if adjusting the assembled one is difficult. The Tested helmet build video made it sound like trial and error to get the faceplate lined up.

I wish they would have had an option to get the helmet kit with the armor kit.

It was possible to file a ticket and ask them to leave the helmet unassembled. I remember reading that reply on their FB group.

I received my Anovos box on Saturday!

I now realize why the Empire struggles against the rebels. After all the work to assemble their uniforms, troopers are too exhausted to fight well ;)

I'm looking forward to many evenings of trimming, cutting, glueing, and studying the amazing advice of seasoned troopers. Thanks for all the information.

• Like 2