The Best Sterling Templates EVER!

ZeroRoom

• 2 weeks later...

Wow :shok:

This is post number 666 for me, so I was trying to save it for Halloween :P but this is just too cool to ignore!

Ā 

Awesome find Mathias - this will come in handy for internal mechanism builds and templates. Plus if anyone wants to build a functional trigger mechanism or spring loaded folding stock this would be a nifty guide. I had no idea the spring went so deep in the stock support. Or that the magazine went into the barrel that far.

Ā 

Great shot of the metal texture too - I'm glad Sean put me on to that Hammered spray paint it looks just like it.

Ā 

Sure wish I had a spare $1,400 to pick that up :rolleyes:

Ā 

Well since I blew my "devil's Post" for Halloween I might as well put up my outer grip template work while I'm at it. Those of you who are used to the other templates will find this a strange way of putting the grip together, but the other templates only build solid grips. This way ensures a hollow grip you can assemble using the other templated grip parts just like it was supposed to be. Plus I've provided general measurements anyway so if you don't wanna do it this way you can still get enough info for a solid grip build, or any other way you sit fit to put it together. Once again I've also done my best to match fonts as closely as possible:

Ā 

lDNIalG.png

69wXa6X.png

CirMNtj.png

Ā 

As you can see it will require some body filler to complete sanding that back will help perfect the shaping too...

Ā 

This - Ladies and gentlemen - is in fact the completion of Version 1.0 of the new templates! This is the entire exterior of the Sterling. Version 1.1 will include the internal set up, but pending a few things here and there I will be posting a complete booklet shortly. I'm putting the booklet together in PDF form as it will hold print size accuracy much better than JPG's.

Ā 

I'll make a new thread for that though so people don't have to trawl through ten pages of posts to find them. Meanwhile let's keep this thread open for more research!

I'm glad you like the pictures. Very interesting indeed! And congratulations to completing the templates. This sure has been a good community effort. :D

Ā 

Ā 

Personally I'm soon about to receive a full aluminum E-11 from Jƶrg in Germany. Almost a year in the making, as as good as it gets without getting a deactivated sterling!

This sure has been a good community effort. :D

Ā 

It sure has - we've got such a fantastic and generous group here on the boards - it's a pleasure to be a member :peace:

Ā 

Ā 

Personally I'm soon about to receive a full aluminum E-11 from Jƶrg in Germany. Almost a year in the making, as as good as it gets without getting a deactivated sterling!

Ā 

I read that in Rich's ROTJ Build thread - you sir, are one fortunate (and no doubt happy!) b@st@ard!

Excellent work guys!

Ā 

What software are you using to make the templates? I'm wanting to model up my "The Best Power Cylinder Templates EVER!" design in 3D & if I use the same as you it'll save conversion later for possible inclusion in version 2.0 of your templates, a full E11 :)

Ā 

Did someone with Imperial and Metric calipers take measurements for the templates from a genuine Sterling? You've got the smaller receiver vent holes marked as 27/64" which is more precise than I can measure. I don't have calipers & I'd been thinking they're 7/16" but if someone's measured them more accurately than I can then I'll use your measurements rather than mine when I restart my scratch build.

Ā 

Of course now that I've got a genuine Sterling E11 I'll actually be making a cast-parts version as used in Tunisia & the publicity photos and it's got all different measurements! lol

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

I noticed you've got the central muzzle hole marked as 8.5mm. I've just measured an inert 9mm round & it is indeed 9mm (the casing is 10.85mm).

Ā 

We all know a laser blast is 8.5mm wide and fits perfectly but, if we ever forget to plug our power cells in to charge the night before (& who hasn't done that?!?) it'd be handy to be able to use the old-fashioned gunpowder & projectile way of keeping those rebel scum down!

Ā 

:smiley-sw013:

Good catch Andy - 8.5mm really doesn't make any sense does it? I'll fix that error immediately. I think it came from a misunderstanding on my part from this pic of the measurements of the inner barrel:

MHIxkCt.jpg

Ā 

I think I took that 8.5mm line out of context and made it the barrel hole without thinking - this is a 9mm gun!

Ā 

On 10/31/2011 at 3:26 PM, PlayfulWolfCub said:

What software are you using to make the templates? I'm wanting to model up my "The Best Power Cylinder Templates EVER!" design in 3D & if I use the same as you it'll save conversion later for possible inclusion in version 2.0 of your templates, a full E11 :)

Ā 

I'm using Adobe Illustrator to create the templates and using the 3D > Extrude and Bevel function to turn those into the 3D Illustrations.

Ā 

If you don't have it or are unsure just ask or send me the 2D templates and I'll whip up the 3D diagrams no worries.

Ā 

Ā 

On 10/31/2011 at 3:26 PM, PlayfulWolfCub said:

Did someone with Imperial and Metric calipers take measurements for the templates from a genuine Sterling? You've got the smaller receiver vent holes marked as 27/64" which is more precise than I can measure. I don't have calipers & I'd been thinking they're 7/16" but if someone's measured them more accurately than I can then I'll use your measurements rather than mine when I restart my scratch build.

Ā 

That 27/64 came from the measurement of 10.7mm for the barrel holes which (as I understand it) is more accurate than the 11.11mm of the BBC templates. I looked up on the internet which imperial drill bit was precisely 10.7mm and that was the answer according to the chart. Which is equal to 6.74 over 16 anyways so it's a barely noticeable difference. Unless .6 of an inch diameter difference will drive you crazy I think you'll be ok!

I think you'll find that's my mistake.... I was measuring so many dimensions I must have got it wrong....... :wacko:

Ā 

I see your location is the UK, sskunky. I'm a tad jealous - where did you get an intact barrel from? (especially one from the very rare Sterling 8.5mm SMG!!! ;) )

Ā 

Unless .6 of an inch diameter difference will drive you crazy I think you'll be ok!

Ā 

If I was going to be really obsessive I'd mention that the thick layers of paint that a Sterling is treated with will have altered most dimensions, including vent holes. :o

Ā 

However I'll restrict myself to saying that one way of checking measurements is whether they equate exactly to an imperial measurement commonly used for fabrication since the machining tools will have been Imperial not Metric. I'm sure you've already thought of that but it took me quite a long time to realise it when I started making my plans.

Ā 

I might buy some calipers off ebay so I can double-check the template measurements. Are you aiming for a particular date you like them totally finished & released by?

Ā 

I'm using Illustrator for "The Best Power Cell template EVER!" but I've never tried extrude or bevel - I's got a new toy!!! :)

Hmmmm........ I'm not supposed to have the barrel but I bought a whole bunch of parts from a US guy and that was in the box. I have never attached it to the Sterling as that would be a bit silly.......Legally that is. Although I'm not sure where I stand as mine is a 8.5mm Sterling barrel and it cannot actually fire real 9mm rounds...... :wacko:

Ā 

I did use digital callipers for all the measurements that were not too long for them otherwise it was a tape or ruler.........

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry Locitus we're on it! Playfulwolfcub is just doing some final dimension checks with digital calipers to ensure the best accuracy we can and I'll upload the finished product in a brand new post.

Ā 

We've been trying to get the most accurate measurements we can while still making sure the templates can actually be built by the average trooper.

Ā 

I think we've come up with the solution now. Andy has been a machine making minor corrections - its all on me now to get the artwork rolling faster.

Ā 

Stay tuned!

• 5 months later...

I'm about to start my doopy pipe build, and wanted to ask if the template in the first post is updated and correct?

Ā 

Just want to make sure :)

• 3 months later...

Perhaps I missed this somewhere, but what are the total measurements (length, ID OD) of the receiver tube? I bought a parts kit (pictured below), and I want to affix it to a tube...

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2011 at 6:33 AM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

also the folding stock on a sterling has a spring inside it.

the front lock and butt cap are all spring loaded inside the center tube.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

is folding stoke made of brass bronze ? it look yellow to me

On 9/5/2011 at 4:14 AM, ZeroRoom said:

OK Further updates, further information requests.

Ā 

I spent forever trying to get the blowback shield curves right with a template that will both curve in the crescent shape while also wrapping around the diameter of the pipe. After many hours and some very patient and valuable help from my wife (she drafts patterns for a living) I do believe I've finally succeeded. I'll post the results tomorrow, as I'm posting this from bed and I'm half asleep, but a few questions have arisen meanwhile.

Ā 

Looking at this image again:

Ā 

sHwUvue.jpg

Ā 

The total length of the bolt appears to be 140mm. However using your 123mm x 7mm measurements for the side strips Mark, I cannot for the life of me get the strips to run the length of the bolt (as they do in the pic) at ANY angle. Am I reading Christians photo wrong?

Ā 

Actually I'll leave the other questions til tomorrow... They really require drawings....

trigonometry damn i wish i listened at school