The Best Sterling Templates EVER!

ZeroRoom

As a Linux user and advocate I think this is fairly simple.

Ā 

Lucas makes these templates with the help of the community. If you don't like it you are free to change them.

Ā 

The PDF's are editable. And if you have anything to add, just add it and we all can either discuss it and agree to add it, or you can edit the templates and "fork" them into your own version. But if you are going to criticize - make it constructive so that all can benefit from it.

Edited by Locitus

@Lichtbringer - thanks for the offer sir. As it happens I already have the Sterling user handbook, and it has been a helpful reference but it is limited in that it doesn't include any dimensions excepting total length with and without stock folded. It's definitely the owners manual for care, operation and cleaning - understandably, not much for info on replicating. What I really need is numbers - the rest takes care of itself.

Ā 

@ Locitus - you're exactly right. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

Ā 

Meanwhile mag housing and mag is under way. Vern is sending me some important stuff soon apparently and we should be pretty close to a complete external spec. The folding stock is now our big one, so everyone throw that info at this thread!

That'd be brilliant! The full folding stock details and corrections are the last major hurdle left!

Ā 

Meanwhile today's update is the cocking handle. It can't really be templated due to it's odd size and shape but of course we need to include the dimensions within the templates document.

Ā 

pGZBGGF.png

I'd like to see the end cap lug area of the plan showing the correct outer diameter of 42mm this is looking very nice so far.

the sterling smg does not have a single outer diameter.

Ā 

the end cap lug is primary to fitting the end cap to the receiver. it is larger than the tube itself and the end.

Ā 

lucas and I have been spending a lot of time to find a machinist template, and I think I have a source for a tube with a template bonded

ready to mill.

Ā 

I also think it would be cool to see the following plan sets come from this effort:

Ā 

ANH e-11 PVC pipe

ANH e-11 steel/aluminum tube

Ā 

ESB standard

ESB greeblie stunt

ESB london prop store

Ā 

if we could have every type of these then it would be great!!

Ā 

how close is the ROTJ BBC plan? I don't have the MGC so I can't help with that.

Ā 

hats off to mark for his work on this thread!~

Ā 

and we all are pushing for lucas on this thread!!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Lucas, I've found a place that stocks 38.1mm OD stainless pipe... in 6m lengths... but they won't cut it :(

I'll go and have a chat with them and see if I can work something out.

@ Vern - Re: the end cap lug. What I'll do is separate ot off on the tube template so that it can have the accurate circumference for a 42mm OD. Can you give me the dimensions for those L shaped slots?

Ā 

Re: the variant templates - what do you see as the difference between the template for a PVC pipe and a steel pipe? If both have the same OD couldn't the templates be the same?

Ā 

@ davej - that sounds awesome! It's amazing how hard it is to get. 38mm ID is not so hard but OD is almost impossible. I found a place here too but the minimum order was even more, something like ten meters. I did find a place in the UK with 38.1mm OD plastic pipe for ponds and fountains that will do a 750mm length but of course it involves importing it. It'd be great to hear what comes of your source. Maybe we could find 6 or more people and split an order? 12 people would be ideal I guess but probably unlikely. We post an interest thread on TAG maybe. Meanwhile, as an added attack, I've set my wife on the task. She's like the Internet Sherlock Holmes and can find websites for companies that don't even have websites...

@ Vern - Re: the end cap lug. What I'll do is separate ot off on the tube template so that it can have the accurate circumference for a 42mm OD. Can you give me the dimensions for those L shaped slots?

Ā 

Dims are coming - gimme your mail-address, i have a good amount of pics with caliper measurements.

Ā 

Oh, and the outer dia is not 42mm (maybe if measured with a ruler), itĀ“s 41,3mm.

Roger Roger! Sounds brilliant - PM on the way :D

Ā 

While I'm posting - re: the E-11 templates. Taking this past a Sterling through to E-11 would require accurate T-Track dimensions. I've got 10.7mm wide by 6.35mm high (1/4 inch). Can anyone confirm or correct this?

Upload is running.

Ā 

Having the correct dims of the track wouldnĀ“t really help, Ginos fanmade tracks are the only known stuff with completly correct size. If itĀ“s worth the requested price is a personal decision.

Ā 

Imho Marvs found t-track is the best - but again ... personal decision.

Ā 

But i will have look on my comp at work, iirr i have the accurate measurements on it.

Ā 

Upload is ready, you have access now.

Downloaded. WOW.

Ā 

For the rest of you reading this: Michael has just sent me over 60 intricate photographs of various parts using his digital calipers for accurate measurements. That's over 60. Don't forget Michael, like Mark and Christian already own all the stuff the rest of us want to make from these templates, so there's no personal gain here - now that's true generosity :)

Ā 

These will be invaluable Michael. Thank you very much. Once Vern has the shop drawings for the tubes in his hands we'll be well on our way to uber accuracy :D

Ā 

As regards the T-Track: ahhh but there is a good reason to have the true measurements - I have a number of ideas/ options up my sleeve for DIY accurate T-Track so stay tuned...

Be my guest. ThatĀ“s what a forum is for ..... sharing.

Ā 

To the t-track:

Ā 

the "bottom" plate is 13,5mm wide and 1,7/1,8mm high, the rounded chanel on itĀ“s underside is ca. 7mm wide and 0,9mm deep.

Ā 

Overall high is 7mm

Ā 

The upper part is not that easy, due to itĀ“s rounded nature. My best guess is 3mm just under the top dome curvature - and 4-5mm where it meets the bottom in a small round edge (depending where you measure, top of the rounded edge (4mm) or bottomside (5mm).)

Ā 

And as usuall: All on your own risk, and without any guarantee. :sith:

Picked up a sample of the 38.1mm pipe, and guess what, it is 38.1mm OD :)

It is shiny stainless steel though. I'm going to have a play with it on the weekend to see if I can get some paint to stick to it. The joys of working for a paint company are that I can experiment for free :)

Stainless? Ouch.

Ā 

Most types of stainless are a pain to drill/saw/mill, to work in any way - you better try if you can work with it to get it into a needed shape.

Ā 

Try to drill one of the needed 12mm holes, and then multiply the needed effort. I have a mill and a lathe, and i refrain from using stainless whenever itĀ“s possible to use something else.

New stuff: For those of you who want go really nuts and emboss or engrave their scratch built Mag Housings with Sterling markings I've been working on replicating the layout and fonts for an accurate representation. (drives me nuts how those other templates just type it on in arial.)

Ā 

This site here:

Ā 

http://sterlingl2a3.com/markings-and-spares/

Ā 

demonstrates clearly that there were so many variant fonts and layouts used for the mag housing markings on Sterlings throughout the years that without knowing the exact production years of the guns used in Star Wars we can never really know exactly what the mag housing markings might have looked like. I have, therefor, taken a "best guess" and picked two kinds of font and layouts used in the 60's and 70's sterling production runs since I figure these would most likely have been the arms available to Star Wars prop makers. (The above site is very worthwhile visiting by the way for any Sterling info)

Ā 

I couldn't match the font used to any modern avaliable font (believe me I tried - the "r", "g" and "k" are always slightly off) as it is an odd and somewhat irregular font - probably due to the metal stamping dies used at the time.

So I've resorted to carefully redrawing the stampings from reference images to get the exact letter shapes. Modern engraving or stamping technology is alo much better - meaning that it wouldn't produce the same irregularities and "wobbly" imprints that the originals have so after drawing them I went back in and added the irregular lines and general "wobbliness" to get that authentic file. That way if you employ digital engraving or plasma cutting you won't end up with a look that is too clean.

Ā 

These are the two versions:

W8tNjaL.png

Ā 

YbR18cQ.png

• Like 1

Ā 

how close is the ROTJ BBC plan? I don't have the MGC so I can't help with that.

Ā 

hats off to mark for his work on this thread!~

Ā 

and we all are pushing for lucas on this thread!!

Ā 

Thanks Vern. :duim:

Ā 

I have a MGC Sterling too..... I'm just waiting for it to come back from a guy that is refurbing it so it can fire caps on full auto with front venting and full cart ejection!!! How cool is that! :peace:

Ā 

Anyhoo, I will hopefully have it back on Tuesday so if you need measurements to make MGC ROTJ plans let me know.

Ā 

This is a great thread and if it weren't for Lucas we wouldn't have these plans all drawn up and thanks to Michael and everyone else's input...... :salute:

Wow! Just been looking through this now and I've got to say this is great work guys! I've got a MGC too so prod me when you start planning that, I've just ordered some digital calipers so my measurements will be right this time.

Ā 

That serial number looks familiar too (though I did have to check). :)

Sam - I got that serial number from this listing on deactivatedguns.co.uk -

Ā 

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/deactivated-guns/modern-deactivated-guns/deactivated-old-spec-sterling-smg/prod_1194.html

Ā 

Is that your serial?! Did you buy that one!? That would be one weird coincidence!

Ā 

That being said if you would like me to change the serial number on the artwork to preserve the uniqueness of yours before anybody else uses it I'm happy to do so :)

Yep, I bought that one. In fact the picture of the vent hole that the stock clips in to is of this exact gun. Weird coincidences seem to surround this Sterling as I bought KR25948 a few months previously. Here they are together...

Ā 

----------

Ā 

No need to change the serial number on the artwork though. That said if someone who's actually contributed to this thread would like their SN on instead, that's good too.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020