The Best Sterling Templates EVER!

ZeroRoom

Do they have Bunnings in Queensland? I was there yesterday and they carried 40mm PVC as stock. That being said I'm on the hunt for 38.1mm so I'm going pipe shopping and phoning around a bit at the moment. If you can't find 40mm outside diameter near you I could pick you some up if I find and send it over. Better still if I have any success with the 38.1mm I could get that to you :)

Australia (it was hard to find out you call it "pipe", not "tube"):

Ā 

Steelpipe 38 x 1,5mm, full length, only pickup (Wetherill Park, New South Wales):---------

Ā 

Steelpipe 1,5" x 1mm, cut to length, only pickup (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia): ---------

Ā 

Exhaust pipe 1,5" x 16 gauge (no idea what that is and if it fits), does ship:-------------

Ā 

You also might check your local exhaust shop or car parts store.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

You have to keep an eye out when buying pipe in Australia. Electrical conduit is measured as an outside diameter, plumbers pipe is measured as an inside diameter. Exhaust pipe is measured as an inside diameter.

Gauge is a measure of the thickness of the pipe wall. From memory, the smaller the number, the thicker the wall. So, a 1.5" 16 gauge exhaust pipe would have a greater diameter than a 1.5" 20 gauge exhaust pipe, which would have a greater diameter than a 1.5" electrical conduit.

I may have this all wrong, but one way or another, pipe sizes are different, depending on where you buy it.

Edited by davej

@ Lichtbringer - thanks so much for taking the time to do that! That's very generous and extremely helpful.

@Seantrooper - I'll keep you posted and you keep me posted!

@davej - Tell me about it! I've been hunting this down for a few weeks now in an attempt to locate 38.1 outside diameter pipe and wow the measurement system is crazy. The best thing I've been able to do so far is carry my 38.1mm resin muzzle casting around with me and just physically try fitting it to whatever pipe is stock. So far no match though...

sterling tubes are 38mm

Ā 

the end cap lug is 42mm and the cap fits on that.

Ā 

the entire tube is NOT 40mm

Ā 

the best solution for a sterling build is to follow the gun laws in your jurisdiction.

Ā 

you SHOULD NOT make a receiver tube with sterling parts mounted onto it

Ā 

without first conducting a DEMIL construction of the receiver.

Ā 

to comply with GUN LAWS even the star wars set had to make NON guns according to specific laws based upon the

Ā 

area where filming took place.

Ā 

for example, if you have a moving bolt with an inner spring mounted with all parts for the Full auto trigger group

Ā 

you could be arrested for "the attempt to make a fully functional full auto firearm"

Ā 

the blasters on set in california for example, had the following modifications:

Ā 

A SOLID METAL PLUG FILLING THE REAR OF THE RECEIVER TUBE

NO TRIGGER

NO BOLT, just a piece of silver tape over a solid steel welded plug

NO barrel, made of wood, for looks.. like on film

MAGAZINE plugged and unable to chamber a round.

Ā 

don't even get the idea that a sterling tube is 40mm that's from the BBC plans for a PVC pipe.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

also the folding stock on a sterling has a spring inside it.

the front lock and butt cap are all spring loaded inside the center tube.

Ā 

the arms are not the only detail.. .you're missing the lugs that lock onto the end cap,

Ā 

and since you don't know that the folding stock is spring loaded you're just showing the outside of the device.

Ā 

the folding stock on a sterling has the following parts:

Ā 

Butt cap.

but cap release plate and springsteel plate

folding stock arms, with lugs and pin locations

main tube with sliding inner front lock

main tube spring and pins

swivel points and swivel press fittings.

Ā 

here's a section of posts of me showing in photos how the front lock moves and how the spring plate works:

Ā 

Well troopers it's time to look closely at the inner workings of the folding stock.

Ā 

far different than what you might expect when looking at plans and such on the web.

Ā 

this complex part alone, before I owned it, was very detailed. now what I have read about, in

some descriptions I knew it had somthing inside it that was missing from all the "replica" parts

out there.

Ā 

making your own functioning folding stock that locks into it's positions could be done, but

without having the part in it's original form makes it a job of guesswork.

Ā 

Ā 

Great Shots :Laser: really nice details there :) It'd be really cool to make a functioning folding stock.

Ā 

Would it be possible to see in focus shots of this. -------

Ā 

It sounds like it is a very important detail in the function of the stock, and might help Lucas out in making the plans :)

Edited by gmrhodes13

the folding stock arms are very complex, and follow a curve on 2 axis. they are not just curved arms that are flat and level, they follow the curve to align with the locking lugs to match the rear end cap.

Ā 

the end cap is also spring loaded and is PRESS FIT on the end cap lug, and moves horizontally to allow the Folding stock arms lugs to seat into the end cap.

On 9/17/2011 at 6:45 AM, seantrooper said:

Great Shots :Laser: really nice details there :) It'd be really cool to make a functioning folding stock.

Ā 

Would it be possible to see in focus shots of this.Ā 

Ā 

It sounds like it is a very important detail in the function of the stock, and might help Lucas out in making the plans :)

Ā 

Ā 

this image is clearer from the same post

Ā 

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Vern, you need to go back in the thread and read the posts more carefully. There are tube templates for BOTH 38mm and 40mm. I've explained the method by which I adjusted the spatial relationships to create the 40mm tube template. We started with the 38mm but the 40mm was created by popular request. If you download the template you will also see that it it explains that the end cap lug is 42mm OD and that you should build accordingly if using a hollow end cap.

Ā 

it's going to be great to see a set of plans that could be

used to mount real sterling parts to.

you SHOULD NOT make a receiver tube with sterling parts mounted onto it

If you read my post associated with the grip templates you will see that I have covered the issues with legalities and that this grip plan will not make a functioning trigger assembly. I will also cover this again when I create the inside templates, which will not function.

Ā 

With regards to the folding stock, we've also discussed the spring. Now I am still working on it and I can't garauntee yet that the folding stock templates will definitely be spring loaded, but they will be functional. You can see where I've posted the first draft of the folding stock template I've asked for imput and created editable PDF's for those who can contribute. I have been using those great stock photos from your older post as reference and they have been very helpful. It would be awesome for the creation of the folding stock if you could do like Mark and Christian did and mark up any photos with measurements. Any diagrams or info you can provide with respect to the inner workings of the stock would also be appreciated. You're not wrong about how challenging the stock is to template up, and it may well be the case that it ends up replicating the outside only, but this is a replica sterling template not an actual sterling template.

Ā 

That being said I would love to make the stock function so I invite you to jump on board the project and make it the best that it can be!

it's not just the grip. it's the bolt inside an open tube with a spring.

Ā 

for example ERV's E-11 x is only a partial demill and might not fly in the usa.

Ā 

I have provided photos and I can provide measurements.

Ā 

my purpose in posting is to support this effort.

Ā 

the folding stock does not function if you don't have the following details:

Ā 

1) spring loaded sliding front lock supported by a series of tubes sliding inside each other.

2) spring loaded end cap with end cap lock that functions.

3) perfect alignment to the grip and front lock hole.

4) swivel mounted in the exact position compared to the grip, front lock and end cap lugs.

Ā 

if troopers mount existing parts onto a metal tube without the DEMILL law being followed

then they could be arrested.

Ā 

the goal is not just to show how you could re create a receiver, and mount parts to it.

the goal should be to show in plans the REAL dimensions for everything.

Ā 

don't rely upon "pipe that's available"

Ā 

if these plans are to be the exact plans for a sterling then i want to support that effort.!!

Ā 

plans have already been created by me for the 40mm pvc pipe, and they were modified from the

BBC plans.. the problem I see is that plans have been produced for PVC pipe dimensions like 40mm

but 40mm is wrong!

Ā 

38.1mm od and let's see how a sterling bolt would fit inside a 40mm pvc pipe.

Ā 

the goal of these plans should be sterling accuracy, not the continual confusion

about pvc pipe. and I personally believe that any plans showing 40mm will always be wrong.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

My intention with regard to the bolt is to only provide templates for a solid bolt. Mine for example will be made of resin, so there is no way the inner aspects of the gun could work.

Ā 

With regard to the spring loaded folding stock, with all the info we could template it up, the actual accurate building of it with all the intricate parts would be up to the skill of the builder. My thoughts are we could do two - one as is genuine and one that simply functions with the use of a magnet and just looks accurate, for those with less confidence with fiddly building.

I really don't see any point to your posts Vern?

Instead of criticising our efforts and being bitter that we have tried to offer slightly more accurate template than your efforts 2 years ago. How about helping and getting the exact measurement of the folding stock and coming up with a viable solution to make the the best template ever. This is a fun place and we are trying to better it in terms of accuracy for pipe builds.

They are never going to be definitively accurate and people here I very much doubt will have access to metal folding tools and welding equipment. The term "Best Templates ever" isn't there to belittle anyone's previous efforts.

We are not encouraging working guns. Just accurate E11s.

• Like 1

I really don't see any point to your posts Vern?

Instead of criticising our efforts and being bitter that we have tried to offer slightly more accurate template than your efforts 2 years ago. How about helping and getting the exact measurement of the folding stock and coming up with a viable solution to make the the best template ever. This is a fun place and we are trying to better it in terms of accuracy for pipe builds.

They are never going to be definitively accurate and people here I very much doubt will have access to metal folding tools and welding equipment. The term "Best Templates ever" isn't there to belittle anyone's previous efforts.

We are not encouraging working guns. Just accurate E11s.

Ā 

:duim: +1

this is a great project guys. and yes, constructive criticism can be a good thing, but any posts containing negativity or non constructive criticism will be promptly removed :) if anyone has anything positive to contribute to this project please feel free to do so ;)

• Like 1

I agree with Vern, up to a certain point.

Ā 

His plans are good enough for a plastic 40mm pipe build, what we need are as accurate as possible plans of the real deal. In 38mm. That would be a great improvement over his plans.

Ā 

And everyone who is able to use/understand these plans would then be able to tweak whatever and wherever itĀ“s needed to make the build he wants from the available data.

We need the definite measurements, not a chaos with the need to filter the shortcuts between variants all the time. Any adjustment in size and functionality can be made by the builder. (The builder would also be able to tweak them for a high accurate plastik build if wished....). But the point to start, the drawings/plans, should be as close as possible, without any aberration.

Not beeing a native english speaker iĀ“m not sure if itĀ“s understandable what i meant ......

Ā 

I can measure my "real Sterling build E-11" if needed to build myself another, but nonetheless i think that really accurate plans without any size/availability-tweaks would be a wonderfull thing for everyone who wants to go the extra mile for a "real" metal E-11.

Edited by Lichtbringer

Here's how I see it:

Ā 

As with the tube templates I will create and release the full templates, once finished, for genuine 38mm Sterling dimensions. I will not make functional MYO sub machine gun templates. This is a prop replica nothing more. The dimensions and appearance will be accurate to a real Sterling but it will unequivocally be a prop. I intend the stock to function and the cocking lever to pull back, nothing more.

Ā 

There will be SEPERATE 40mm tube based booklet (the sights, blowback shields and muzzle need changing to fit) due to popular demand. You can see clearly by my tube templates that I have made two completely separate templates for people to choose from.

Ā 

I have also stated unequivocally that this an open source community project. All PDf's remain vector editable for any correction anyone can see need making. Alternatively if you see a differentiation between your real sterling and the measurements posted here I encourage you to post corrected measurements. I am creating the artwork primarily from the hard work of Mark and Christian. I have no access to a real Sterling and not only encourage but actively seek help from anyone in possession of a real one or plans for a real one that can ensure the accuracy of the dimensions.

Ā 

In addition to asking for any corrections that anyone sees need making on what I have posted so far I ask that anyone who can, provide the following:

Ā 

Accurate measurements for the arms of the folding stock

Accurate measurements for the folding stock rear hinge (diameter etc)

Accurate measurements for the butt

Any accurate dimensions or functional aspects of the spring mechanism that operates the folding stock at the front.

Correct dimensions and spacing of the cut grooves that lock the end cap to the lug

Ā 

If you can provide this info you will ensure the accuracy of the dimensions of these templates. This is exactly what this thread is for so post away and I promise I will do your hard work justice for the benefit of the entire community. For years now we have been hearing about how the BBC plans are inaccurate without an adequate replacement. Most legion deployed troopers are still using the BBC plans where real Sterling conversions are unavailable so this project is for any and all of them that we can help build more accurate blasters. We can do it and we can do it soon. The benefits could be huge, and the benefits for those about to embark on a build even bigger. I know form my own experience that one can be about to embrak on build with the plans available, and someone says 'that's inaccurate' and all building plans halt for fear of inaccuracies, but can't be resumed while no more accurate details are available.

Ā 

We can be the people to change that. Let's do it and do it now. Everyone that has them throw the facts and the true dimensions at this post and we will be off and running in no time :D