In Memoriam 

Expert Infantry Q&A

Around the Detachment

Troop of the Month

Related News

Swag Alert

gallery_14191_42_1235.png

gallery_15432_42_3004.jpg

Scott Rose, TK-346, of the legion's Neon City Garrison, passed away on the morning of April 20, 2014. Scott, a former member of the Georgia Garrison, had once lost his home to a fire, and his 501st Family leapt into action. Donations were gathered to help Scott and his family rebuild. A new set of Stormtrooper armor was also supplied to allow Scott to troop again once his home was re-established. He never stopped trying to repay or show his appreciation for all those who had helped him. Scott was never afraid to speak his mind, and he was humble to the last. He was a shining example of a good man and he will be greatly missed.

Scott Rose TK-346 now joins the ranks of the Eternal Legionaries.

Buckets off.

gallery_17995_60_22109.jpg

Some of you might be wondering why there's an "Expert Infantry" ribbon under some screen names on the FISD forums. Some of you might not even have heard of it or are Expert Infantries, themselves, but do not know the history behind it. Who better than Daetrin (Paul) himself, founder of both the Expert Infantry Badge (EIB) program and the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment, to tell us about this program?!

Hi Paul!
IPM: What is the Expert Infantry Badge program and its vision?

Daetrin: The Expert Infantry award program is captured as the second goal of our detachment charter, as I felt the program was so crucial to the detachment's success, it was imperative to write it in. To quote

"2. Develop and create a higher standard of Stormtrooper costume for members to achieve and a "kudo" (e.g. deployed status) as a recognition of that accomplishment (the same way the Mos Eisley Police Department has created a higher standard for MEPD Deployment). The goal of this is not to force people to achieve the higher standard, but rather to demonstrate what the costume can become and recognize those who achieve it."

The intent is to be a step up from base standards, however not to be the highest level of accuracy one can achieve in a 501st costume. If the standards are too high and rely on items that are expensive or very hard to acquire, or that takes a large amount of time, very few people will go for it. This is what happened to Lancer. For these reasons I wanted a program that could be achieved with a moderate level of time, money and skill, yet still push the bar on accuracy.

As you can see, at it's heart it's a recognition program. There really shouldn't be any tangible benefit except the satisfaction that one went above and beyond the base standard, and you were congratulated for it. This is why the only EI-only merchandise is the gold coin; people should be striving for this achievement because they can enjoy the pride in a job well done, and not for any material benefit. By recognition, they can inspire others to do the same.

My thought was that if we ever get to 30% adoption, then we should increase the standards. However, as the base standards were increased, we had to up the EI standards so that they were a bump up, yet again, over base.
I think it's important for people to remember that this is an optional program. Not participating does not make you a lesser member in FISD.

IPM: How and when did this program come about?
Daetrin: When I started in the Legion back in 2005, there was no forum for Stormtroopers. This was a problem for me because I was in a pretty small garrison where we only trooped maybe once a month (or every other month) and the membership was low. Secondly, information was hard to come by. There were a few sites like Dean Plantamura's White Armor Chronicles and also Mike Harrison's site, however there was no place to ask questions. If I asked locally I was told, "When you get in, we'll tell you," or when someone showed me pictures of what I later learned was poor recast AP armor and I asked about its accuracy, the response I got was "Why are you asking so many questions?".
I discovered MEPD (Mos Eisley Police Department - the Sandtrooper forum) and found a whole different experience. On MEPD, they discussed *everything,* and people are very willing to share what they knew. I was shocked. "Is this what the rest of the Legion is like?" I kept wondering why there was no such resource for Stormtroopers, but when I asked if there was a Stormtrooper detachment, I was told, "You're in it." I guess for old-time troopers in big garrisons, people had a lot of local help. Also, as it turned out, it seemed there was a type of old-time trooper who really had no sympathy for new people, and the pattern seemed to be that they let you buy FX armor on Ebay for $1,300 to get started, but once you were in, they told you how to get FX via the Legion for much less, or they told you about AP or RT, which were far more accurate.
My motivation was that I didn't want any other new Stormtrooper to go what I went through - being lied to, or else just had information withheld. I wanted MEPD for TKs. I felt even if the detachment never grew beyond 20 people and only got a few hits a month, if I could save even one person the pain I went through, I'd be happy. And thus, FISD was born.
MEPD also had a really cool deployed program where they encouraged and acknowledged people who wanted to go beyond base 501st standards and up their costume. I thought this was very inspiring and worked out well - even today about 1/3rd of all Sandtroopers are "deployed." The Legion at the time was probably about 90% out of the box FX, and it seemed strange to me that the "backbone of the Legion" would have the lowest costume standards accuracy-wise, and I wanted the EI program to encourage my fellow TKs to take the same leap that those on MEPD did. This is why the program is identical between the two detachments. Being an XO on MEPD back in the day helped ensure that the standards between the programs were comparable.

IPM: Where is the name "Expert Infantry Badge" derived from?
Daetrin: Originally, we put the title to a vote and it was called the "Mark" program, e.g. an ANH trooper was called "Mark IV". This was clearly a case where sometimes the wisdom of the crowd is not so wise. Since no one really liked the name, we rebranded it to "Elite," and you can still find some bin stickers that say FISD Elite on them. However some of the old TKs in the Legion felt we were too "elitist," so it had to change (we were forced to). I started thinking about what would capture the essence of the program. I started my Army career as as infantryman (11B), and thought that the Army's Expert Infantryman award was pretty appropriate. In other words, it was an award that went to any trooper who was able to demonstrate mastery of the basics of his craft. Hmmm...sounds exactly like what I wanted, so I changed the name years ago and the rest is history.
This is also why all the FISD branding derives from the US Army colors and insignia, by the way. When you are the one creating the detachment, you get to design the logo...

IPM: This program has come a long way. Were there any initial struggles such as misconceptions about it, raising awareness, or launching the program?
Daetrin: Absolutely. The primary struggle was that many of the old-time troopers - and thus many in Legion leadership positions - had out-of-the-box FX suits and had no desire to put any more time and effort in to their suits. For whatever reason, they were very reluctant to have new troopers be better looking and more accurate. It's sad because in my mind, it's natural that those that come later would benefit from the pioneering spirit of those that came before. Life is about change, so trying to keep the standards locked in to 2004 seemed very strange to me, especially as other costumes were constantly raising their own accuracy bar.
However, what has happened is that the older members simply retire than upgrade, and for new members going EI isn't much more work than base standards on a new suit, so most of the folks going EI are new members. As they move up in to leadership roles, themselves, through the years, the resistance has faded. Now many detachments have such a program: SLD, SpecOps, IOC, BSN. It may be hard for people to understand that at the time we started, only MEPD has such a program, and FISD was only the second detachment to create one.
A huge thanks has to be paid to Ed DaSilva - the DL after my first term - who battled relentlessly to ensure that the Stormtrooper standards wouldn't be allowed to languish. He is truly an unsung hero of FISD and Stormtrooping costuming in the Legion.

IPM: As of April 2014, the FISD has 369 active Expert Infantries representing 60 garrisons in 28 countries. What are your thoughts on its current state?
Daetrin: I'm pleased that it has grown, although I am disappointed that it has leveled out in the past few years. We have over 2,129 TKs in the Legion. If we were as successful as MEPD, we'd have 700 Expert Infantry members in the Legion. So while 370 sounds impressive, I feel we're only half way there. This is why I'm so passionate that rather than focusing on Centurion or worrying about yet another program, FISD should really concentrate on outreach to help get more Expert Infantry in the Legion. Think about it: if every EI helped just *one* person go EI, we could double the ranks overnight.

IPM: How can one become an Expert Infantry?
Daetrin: It's quite easy. Even someone with an FX suit can achieve it for about $50 and an afternoon of work. For people doing new build suits, there truly is no extra effort involved as all modern suits come EI ready, which was not the case back when FX was popular. All one has to do is read the standard and build their suit accordingly. In fact, when I go to conventions, I see many troopers who are one detail or two away from achieving it, such as not having a D-ring on their blaster. A $1 part and they'd be there.

IPM: Can one apply for multiple costumes?
Daetrin: Absolutely! That's part of the fun. Todd Maxfield-Matsumto currently has the record with 6 EI awards, and is, in fact, the only person to have a gold instead of silver star above his badge.

We will be starting a thread on the FISD forums, should you have any questions of your own.

With Unquestioned Loyalty,

Evan Loh
TK-24127 "evan-loh"
IPM Corespondent 

gallery_14191_42_21102.png

Congratulation to Our Armorer and the CO of the UKG, Gary Hailes, who made his 500th troop In April!

gallery_17995_43_4197.jpg

Buckets off to you sir.

med_gallery_17995_43_68611.jpg

Photographers, correspondents, or anyone just willing to lend a hand! Join the Imperial Propaganda machine, and help keep our troops around the world informed. Contact me for more information on how you can be a part of the team.

Sam Kisselburg
TK-85254 "Kessel Run"
Public Relations Officer

gallery_14191_42_24507.png

Troop for a 3 year old with Autism Germany

April 2014. Well, we certainly have come a long way from when dolphins were used for finding mines and lost torpedoes, and our brothers from the German Garrison experienced this firsthand! Some intrepid Stormtroopers and the Stalwart Lord Vader traveled to Laufen, Germany, to assist a three-year-old girl and her family by raising some much-needed funds for dolphin-assisted therapy. (A growing practice that utilizes interaction with the animals to help with a myriad of ailments.) 
The young girl, Alicia, suffers from Autism. She cannot speak and must be monitored constantly during her waking hours. After hearing of this young girl's plight, our boys in white flew into action and descended on a street festival in an attempt to garner support. Over the six hours that followed, the troops raised 1,470
€.That money, in addition to 300€ that the troops had raised before they arrived at the event, will help get Alicia's family one step closer to their goal.

Moved to further support the cause, they raised about 240€ at a small event that was put on by the family. "We just wanted to see Alicia again and she was dressed as Princess Leia to surprise us," TK-50175 reported. "Even if she didn't speak to us, she remembered us, and I was so surprised when she kissed me on the cheek! Isn't that sweet?"

We certainly think so. Keep up the excellent work!

gallery_17995_43_14650.jpg

gallery_17995_43_5752.jpg

med_gallery_17995_43_170667.jpg

Vader: Rene Reichlin/ SL-18808

TKs: Heiko Bothner/ TK-8343   

Andreas Bothner/ TK-4657

Thomas Nagel/ TK-8145

Marc Rehm/ TK-50175

TB:  Henry Kosel/TB-5668

gallery_17995_60_31794.jpg

As most of you know, May the fourth is Star Wars Day. With that in mind, here are a few events that have been brought to my attention:

Disney/Lucasfilm has organized an official event in Italy for Star Wars Day on Sunday, May 4th, 2014 (May the fourth), the famous Colosseum in Rome will be surrounded by all things Star Wars! This all-day event will take place from 10 am to 8 pm. There will be video of Star Wars being projected onto the walls of the Colosseum and 1:1 scale props (including the beautiful Tie Fighter of the German Garrison and other Italian props) will be displayed. Both the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion will take part in a parade in downtown Rome near the Colosseum.
Additionally:
There are also two official Disney/LFL troops, for the first time, in Australia. This is cross-country, which ranges form AFL (Aussie Football) appearances to special appearances at some large shopping centers. In Perth, they will be appearing at Big W Midland Gate 1 to3 pm and Myers Karrinyup 2 to4 pm.
Take time to celebrate this special day, and May the Fourth be with you!

gallery_17995_43_10055.jpg

Elsewhere on or around Star Wars day .

med_gallery_17995_43_42322.jpg

Check with your local Garrisons to find out what might be happening in your area!

med_gallery_17995_43_48120.jpg

I believe that this is a worthwhile cause, so I felt that a reminder is in order.

Sometimes blood can be shed for a good cause, and Star Wars author and honorary member of the 501st Legion, Ryder Windham, is proving this by organizing a World Blood Drive event. He is asking for anyone who likes Star Wars to join him. (Make sure to check out the link at the bottom of the article and spread the word!)
On June 14, Star Wars fans all over the world will participate in the first World Blood Drive. The event was inspired by World Blood Donor Day, an annual event founded by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2004, and which is held every year on June 14. Like WHO, their goal is to help promote unpaid blood donations and to celebrate the generosity of blood donors.
Every donation of a single pint of blood can save up to three lives. More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day. Remember: blood cannot be manufactured; it can only come from generous donors.
If you are a member of a Star Wars costume club, you can contact your local blood center and help organize a blood drive for June 14. If your blood center has already determined locations for blood drives on that date, find out if you can help promote a drive at the most family-friendly location.
If you are a Star Wars fan, you can help promote the World Blood Drive events in your area and invite your friends and family to attend. If you can't give blood, show your support for those who can, and have fun meeting members of the Star Wars costume clubs!
Join the World Blood Drive 2014, and let's save lives together.

On April 15th. Brian Muir (sculptor of the Darth Vader helmet, mask, and armor, Stormtrooper armor, and the heads of the Death Star Droid and CZ3 in Star Wars: A New Hope.) celebrated a birthday.The honorary 501st member and author of the critically acclaimed autobiography In the Shadow of Vader, turned 62 this year.

med_gallery_17995_43_36766.jpg

Happy Belated Birthday from the FISD Brian! Buckets off to you!

gallery_14191_42_7527.png

FISD T-shirts are still in the concept phase, but be on the lookout for these in the very near future!

med_gallery_17995_43_216798.jpg

Current Tallies:

Centurion Awards: 118
Expert Infantry Awards: 374

• Will we see your name on the "honor roll" of 700 in December? Get started here!

Fire Teams: 15

• Troop often with the same people-in-white? Perhaps you should form a fire team!

Attachés: 0 new

• Love helping troopers in your local area? Consider becoming an Attaché!

April troops: 12

• Don't forget to share your "field exercises" in the Field Training Exercises forum!
    It serves many purposes:
    • to inspire others with ideas for events
    • to remind everyone why we're out there
    • to flaunt the beauty of the shiny white
    • and to get the new recruits excited about their future service to the Empire
  • And who knows, maybe your troop will be featured in a newsletter!

Twitter Followers: 1448
Facebook Followers: 2515
Instagram Followers: 134

Keep up the good work, Troopers!

Don't Forget We're on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitearmor

If you're on FB, stop by and say hi, ask questions, and share stories!

Twitter: www.twitter.com/FISD501st or @FISD501st
To find out what the troops are up to at any given moment, follow FISD on Twitter!

Instagram: www.instagram.com/501stfisd

Sam Kisselburg
TK-85254 "Kessel Run"
Public Relations Officer

On behalf of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Command Staff.

End Transmission.

Great newsletter! Thanks Daetrin for that informative look into the detachment history.  I know I'll be taking my EIB pics this weekend!  I LOVE the shirt design! Simple and perfect! :salute: 

Edited by RainTrooper

Very excited to see the newsletter!

Just yesterday I was thinking "hmmmm... There hasn't been a newsletter in awhile, Oh, yeah... Just about a month - should be a new one soon!"

Love the t-shirt design. Love it, love it, love it!!

As always though, great job on the newsletter. Highly informative!

Nice tshirt, and great newsletter.....we should up the ante and try and get more EI...... :)

I have it on good authority that there will be another EI submission very soon.

I can personally assure you that when I finally am done building the armor in the box(es) that should be shipping in the next couple of weeks, I will be doing so! ;)

How are things?

Great newsletter!

The Q&A on EI badge was a good read! 

It looks like alot of time and effort goes into the monthly newsletter. Great work by all who put it out.

Thank you!

I have it on good authority that there will be another EI submission very soon.I can personally assure you that when I finally am done building the armor in the box(es) that should be shipping in the next couple of weeks, I will be doing so! ;)How are things?

Niiice :)... Looking forward to it Tim.

Things are good, 1/3 of my tour to go, 4 weeks till my last R&R.....home by 8 July......(hopefully).... And you? :)

apologies to all those sent to the wrong place by the Email blast. I made an error in the coding, still fairly new to that part of it also if you received multiple emails, I sorry for that as well.

I'll be working on my first build soon, TK Stormtrooper, ANH Stunt. Going for EI!

I'll start a thread when the kit arrives (should be in about a month). Message me if you want me to bug you, I mean ask you, for help!

Anyone living in western Washington state, I'm going to try to set up an armor build party in late June. Message me if you'll accept bribes in the form of cookies & beer. :D

Also, I would like a t-shirt!

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to everyone who helped make this NL a good one. They take time to do right, but add immeasurable value to the detachment and the Legion. My gratitude to the staff for maintaining the tradition in fine form. :)

Great news letter and very well put together. I like that you addressed how the community has grown to help new comers to the hobby. I joined the legion in 2003 and it was not always such a welcoming community. I am proud to be a member of 501st and am thrilled how inclusive the organization has become.