Stormtroopers Are No Longer Largest Approved Legion Member Costume

gmrhodes13

Stormtroopers Are No Longer Largest Approved Legion Member Costume

FISD has been the largest detachment in the legion, with Stormtroopers being the most approved legion costume, unfortunately we have for the first time lost this position to JRS who have overtaken us by 2.

costumes.png.8fd3385e4dea01a61927a43ea474aa43.png

There has been a steady decline in approved Stormtrooper costumes in the legion, for many years we would be around 20% of all approved legion costumes, now we are siting at @ 16%. Take a look back to March 2020 and we had 18.84% approved Stormtroopes in the legion, seeing a loss of @ 200 Stormtroopers compared to today.

etSzgqI.png

And back to August 2018 seeing FISD with 21.45% of all approved legion costumes

fnXZUWV.png

It is sad day for FISD :(

• Like 3

Curious for all the reasons because the number one reason I hear from interested parties is, "Would be fun, but I'm not spending that kind of money on a single costume."  Granted that also seems to be the reason in general for any 501st costume.  Bart

Edited by BAZINGA

Curious for all the reasons because the number one reason I hear from interested parties is, "Would be fun, but I'm spending that kind of money on a single costume."  Granted that also seems to be the reason in general for any 501st costume.  Bart

TIE reserve. That’s the reason. One of the most cost-effective ways to get into the Legion. But in reality I’m sure there are a myriad of reasons. Old guard TKs retiring, new TV shows bringing new fun kits in other detachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Perhaps we also need a cheaper legion entry costume added to our CRL's

Stormtrooper: Casual / Behind the scenes :laugh1:

robestormtrooper.jpg.6a33973dc00b7e0c5f4421c59174ca34.jpg

• Like 8

There are 2333 TIE Reserves right now. Without those, JRS would still have less than 3000 costumes. So, yeah, that might be a factor... who doesn't love a cheap overall that you can buy ready to wear and to get approved in?

Now, if you want to boost the TK statistics a bit: you can easily turn your ANH Stunt TK into an ESB/ANH-H/HWT. Caleb's got a good link collection for the ANH Stunt to ESB conversion here. For the Hero, you need to change even less (a new helmet, belt, and holster[-screws]), and the HWT just needs a backpack, a pauldron and some (removable) weathering. So time to get those 4-in-1 costumes done ;)

• Like 2

I fired shots back earlier today, but lets remember, this is all in good fun, and everyone commenting, please be respectful on social meadia etc.

They can have a joke about being able to sit, we will soon have a CRL that also easily allows that in the Imperial Commando.

All our costumes are also In universe, none are made up like the Tie reserve so let them have their fun and moment of artificial glory :laugh1:  that was a joke by the way.

What can we do to increase numbers other than creating something that doesn't exist.

Easy, lets focus on building our new Imperial Commando CRL to assist in getting members more easily on their journey to approval.

usually we wait for a builder, but nothing is stopping us from writing the descriptive side of this CRL and gathering everything we have and know, to putting those pieces together.

If we get that down and publish the skeleton on the forums in the new area, we are guiding our members to an easier build.

We are also 3 photos away from Pyre going to the LMO's and bang that's another approval and CRL to inspire others.

Lets get it done and keep having fun. Don't take this rivalry be a set back, lets use it to build momentum and lets keep pushing The 1500.

This months catch cry to start with the Newsletter is The 1500 Strength in numbers!

Kind of ironic actually but lets go for it.

We got this FISD we got this.

• Like 3

They can have their moment, in my state TKs get more high fives and cuddles than the NotVaders, and that’s all that matters

• Like 6

8 hours ago, tarok said:

They can have their moment, in my state TKs get more high fives and cuddles than the NotVaders, and that’s all that matters emoji4.png

Well I can say on my first troop that I stepped away for a few seconds from the photo area to stretch my back and someone had to come and call me back because someone insisted the stormtrooper appear in the photo with him so I was kinda pumped by that!  Bart

• Like 2

I do our roster maintenance a couple of times a year.

Feedback from legion is several detachments do not do their maintenance remove retired members and adjusting their access.

I wonder when the JRS roster was actually maintained last??

They could be living a false dream if it hasnt been touched in a few years.

Its a monumental task to for the record. I spend at least 5 hours each time I update ours, not fun, so I understand when dets don't do it.

• Like 3

Alright, I need to finish my ROTK, FOTK TFA, and FOTK TLJ, and then maybe toss in an extra ab, thermal detonator, and holster for a Kenobi TK - I'm doing my part to keep our numbers up! :smiley-sw013:

• Like 3

I'm currently rebuilding my ANH TK, and have ordered a 2nd helmet for an ESB since my DDD kit came with two belts and ESB hand guards. So I need to get on it.

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I do our roster maintenance a couple of times a year.
Feedback from legion is several detachments do not do their maintenance remove retired members and adjusting their access.
I wonder when the JRS roster was actually maintained last??
They could be living a false dream if it hasnt been touched in a few years.
Its a monumental task to for the record. I spend at least 5 hours each time I update ours, not fun, so I understand when dets don't do it.

Perhaps a controversial topic, but I’d love to see more garrisons spending time auditing their members for costume quality and, dare I say it, ownership too…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tarok said:

Perhaps a controversial topic, but I’d love to see more garrisons spending time auditing their members for costume quality and, dare I say it, ownership too…

Not controversial at all for me, being a GML I usually know when someone has sold a costume, their membership profile is then updated, we also keep a record of what costume a member has worn at specific events and they are recorded in a yearly trooping database which makes things a lot easier at census time, obviously this is pretty easy to do in a smaller garrison of 45 than others which have 100's of members.

I guess it really comes down to your command staff, how they set up local roles and rules and how proactive those people are in those roles and how the rules are followed.

• Like 2

Good to see the motivation here, also there is another CRL in the works as per a members updated thread earlier today, so we are doing fine.

• Like 1

I think some of the problem is time to make , I had a commission build done and I’m still two months after getting it , trying to get it corrected for my GML , even thought the man who did it is a GML, cost is a factor also if you don’t have time to do it yourself.. I believe I’m into this for around 3000 and the ti I’m doing is 1200. Cost and time is the TK problem.. I feel at least , maybe someday I’ll get approved and that will be another number , but I bet my ti is approved first… just saying 

1 hour ago, stell001 said:

I think some of the problem is time to make , I had a commission build done and I’m still two months after getting it , trying to get it corrected for my GML , even thought the man who did it is a GML, cost is a factor also if you don’t have time to do it yourself.. I believe I’m into this for around 3000 and the ti I’m doing is 1200. Cost and time is the TK problem.. I feel at least , maybe someday I’ll get approved and that will be another number , but I bet my ti is approved first… just saying 

I built mine and was approved in a week, it can be done, depending on how much time you have and your abilities as well as how much research you do. I had a 6 month wait for ATA armor and I did A LOT of research ready to build it, as well as A LOT of build from scratch blasters, these were the pre 3D printer days, everything was hands on. Yes the cost is a major factor as well but if it's something you really want to do many will find a way.

Now excuse me I've only had one coffee so I may dribble a bit:

It can come down to research, in my 10 years we have seen a BIG move to facebook, people post "I want this costume" and within minutes someone posts info or shares a link BUT I don't see much of a follow up with "how to build". When I joined you had to search for information, I mean really research, some found a local 501st group or found he FISD forum  but even then you still had to research to find the information on the forum to purchase armor and to build it.

The amount of people that do find their way here but still won't research amazes me, we have areas on the forums for each of our costumes, yes some can be hard to find depending on what particular section you are building but even when posting information, photos and links to a build thread some still post the same questions when the answers are already posted. We have a "search" function and a "gallery" area and our forum but little seem to use them. You only have to type in a few common words into the search box to be able to find information, you can also do this one google, type in key words and add "whitemarmor" to the search, you can also search in images, you'd be amazed what can be found.

Don't get me wrong I am here to help and I'm not complaining it just seems to me with the rise of Facebook and the ease to find things on social media some aren't equipped to do research, many buy on a whim and never bother assembling the armor as it's just too hard.

People purchase a costume for many reasons, some not understanding what is involved, some don't have tool experience, some get bored, some are too busy, some even when approved find being a member and wearing a costume is just not for them. 

When I started we'd have 10 or more Stormtroopers at a convention, these days it's lucky we have just one or two, some have gone on to other things but some complain the Stormtrooper is too uncomfortable, I find the opposite, it a great support as I have quite a few medical issues and the armor helps me stay upright and for longer. 

Seeing 10 or more Stormtroopers marching together is a wonderous sight and still gives me goosebumps, just a shame I no longer see that here and our numbers have dropped.

I must admit I'm not better though, I love my Stormtrooper costumes unfortunately I'm just not wearing them enough, I built my Din Djarin just because it's time relevant and it's what the public wants to see and do request, I don't think many think of that reason when deciding on a costume, what the public wants to see. No matter how many screams I here of "Mando, Mando" or "Grogu, Grogu" I get more satisfaction wearing my TK and seeing younglings dressed up in Stormtrooper costumes wanting a photo with you or even saying "your my favourite" still brings a smile to my face, even if it's not seen ;) 

Anyway Tie Reserves and Bridgecrew are a pretty cheap option to gain access to the legion so it's no wonder their numbers have increased, is it indicative of what the public want to see, NOPE, shinny and white is still the most requested costume :salute:

• Like 7

Hi Folks,

This may be the wrong place to make this inquiry, but I met some of your members at a comic con in Philadelphia last weekend and was pointed to this forum. I was at the event with my kids, who really enjoy dressing up, but I have secretly harbored a long-standing interest in building my own storm trooper costume.

Would anyone be willing to suggest places I should start my research?

Many thanks!

45 minutes ago, 1120SFiler said:

Hi Folks,

This may be the wrong place to make this inquiry, but I met some of your members at a comic con in Philadelphia last weekend and was pointed to this forum. I was at the event with my kids, who really enjoy dressing up, but I have secretly harbored a long-standing interest in building my own storm trooper costume.

Would anyone be willing to suggest places I should start my research?

Many thanks!

Hello and welcome, correct not the right place ;) 

Research is the key to this hobby, this thread is full of info which should help you on the way 

You can also use this map to find garrisons/squads in your area 

https://www.501st.com/maps/

Ultimately, there isn't anything sad for FISD about this news, we know our costumes aren't cheap.  As Glen mentioned, we are by far and above, the most requested character at events and troops and predominantly our members have to build/assemble our costumes rather than have them made by someone else.

Our costumes take time and plenty of care to not only construct, but also maintain to get the best life out of them, and we relish in polishing our armour before troops.

There is a lot to be very very proud of when it comes to our catalogue of costumes, loads to be very happy about and not to forget we have no less than four new to legion costumes currently under construction along with their CRL preparation.

Just look at the motivation this whole event has created for us, and with these new costumes on top, even more will become Stormtroopers.

So turn that frown upside down and get cracking on your new TK today :smiley-sw013:

S6xR3Th.jpg

• Like 5

It is understandable, the general induction bar is lower for Tie (Reserve).

Our garrison has a large number of them as they are more "accessible" for new people with no prior knowledge on crafting armor and stuff. They can participate in visits and activities literally "right out of the box". many of them move up to full Tie Pilot gear gradually. Even many of our more senior Stromtrooper has his/her own Tie (Reserve) costume which is great when you have the fill the role of handler during an activity but also want to stay in character.

• Like 2