Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark CMF

Interesting.  This is a great find, and I can see this being changed if the LMO is OK with us taking it from the game. I would think though for maybe L3?

• Like 1

Sure, we could do that. For basic it could be a stationary non functioning baton (made as if closed up) then levels 2 and 3 can be more functional.  That's just my opinion though. 

I do find it interesting that it's included in the single player story mode. I say that cause those are ROTJ troops and not R1TK's, not to mention no holsters for the baton. However one never knows. 

7 hours ago, Parquette said:

Sure, we could do that. For basic it could be a stationary non functioning baton (made as if closed up) then levels 2 and 3 can be more functional.  That's just my opinion though. 

I do find it interesting that it's included in the single player story mode. I say that cause those are ROTJ troops and not R1TK's, not to mention no holsters for the baton. However one never knows. 

Yeah, that's certainly true.  This is why I want to check with the LMOs.  It's kinda like the TKC/ICN and a light saber - you can get it by playing as that character type, but it took some debate as if we should.  At least you can get it that way in the game.  For R1 we really don't know, and the game may or may not be considered canonical.

Here is my guess:

1. We will allow a telescoping baton as we can't say it's *not* one on the movie.

2. We won't add L2/L3 points for it unless in a game or similar we see one with a telescoping rod, or there is a still, or some other evidence.

It would be pretty bad to require one at L2/L3 and then one of the 501st members who was in the movie, or knew someone in the movie, found out it wasn't.

• Like 1

I have a question regarding level 3 requirements:

The Crl states that

Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed

The same is stated for the upper arms.  

Jimmi is the only one making this armour and given how long it’s been it’s unlikey anyone else will now, and he uses overlap method.  Are we therefore unlikely to ever see a centurion Rogue One TK?

The bicep was clearly overlap, with the cover strip moulded into the outer side.  For centurion I feel this should be the mandated construction.  Forearm is overalap also.  The bottom cover is moulded in the top one appears to be a separate piece added on later.

Reference:

Rear bicep:

28372544435_b27119b74c_z.jpg

Rogue One Stormtrooper Reference CE 2016 by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Front bicep, front forearm:

28268756232_eecc0f95f8_z.jpg

Rear forearm:

28089829570_9abf01a7b7_z.jpg

You'll probably want to click through to view at full resolution.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris - I think you may be right.   I'm trying to remember how that got added (might just be copy/paste from ANH).  Maybe Glen (eagle eyes) or one of the DO's can chime in too.

• Like 1

Speaking of the cover strips (and I know this is beating a dead horse, I'd really like to see the cover strips for basic reflect that of the other CRL'S for R1 troops, namely, no requirement for beveled edges in basic. You can create the look from a short few feet distance. There are no plastic suppliers where I'm at locally, and ordering plastic online for something so simple is a pain in the butt. Is there a possibility we could let the LMO review this idea?

Also it's worth noting that all the parts are using overlap methods. There's no side by side connections at all like on ANH. 

Also I thought we weren't going to have measurements for things like ribbing cause it was too nitpicky for basic? I mean who's going to take a ruler to these things?

I for one won’t be using a ruler lol.

i agree on the overlap construction, from the mass of screenshots available, it’s a clear cut case that the new kits were made in that method. What that  would do unless the language suggested otherwise, is mean no preconstructed ANH armour could be approvable. Makes it a little more confusing I guess, unless the CRL was to state, overlap or but join is acceptable.

personally I like that bus close to scream accurate so it would be overlap construction a major st for level2.

• Like 1

So, here is what I'm hearing:

1. Remove butt join requirement for L3 for biceps & thighs.

2. Actually mandate overlap for L3 (as that is what they did)

Is that right?

Also, I'd like to finalize these ASAP as MEPD is in the last bits of completing the sandtrooper version of this kit, and the L2/L3 should match (yes, I'm the editor).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Parquette said:

Speaking of the cover strips (and I know this is beating a dead horse, I'd really like to see the cover strips for basic reflect that of the other CRL'S for R1 troops, namely, no requirement for beveled edges in basic. You can create the look from a short few feet distance. There are no plastic suppliers where I'm at locally, and ordering plastic online for something so simple is a pain in the butt. Is there a possibility we could let the LMO review this idea?

This one.

7 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Is that right?

Also, I'd like to finalize these ASAP as MEPD is in the last bits of completing the sandtrooper version of this kit, and the L2/L3 should match (yes, I'm the editor).

I agree

10 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Is that right?

For L3, yes. We should be aiming or as close to screen accurate as is practical.

12 hours ago, Parquette said:

This one.

I thought about it, and you can bevel the edges yourself with a belt sander, or even just sandpaper.  I want to keep them as it is as it is a very distinguishing part of the costume, and also that I am confident where there is a need, a vendor will find a way.  Bet you once this is baked people will start selling ANH conversion cover strip kits.

FYI, I'm will make any last changes as needed this weekend, and after that will leave it alone.  MEPD needs to have these baked too, and once we start actually seeing EI/Centurion applicants we can decide to make any adjustments next year.

Maybe the reference to the tears and traps could be re-worded. 

"Tears and traps may not be hand painted"

I'm guessing that this means there should physically be a tear and trap with indented lines or vents and that they aren't just stickers or painted on. But I think that hand painting should be allowed as long as they are physically represented.

Perhaps something like:

"Tears and traps are built out from helmet and depth can visibly be seen. Grooves are indented to represent venting. Tears and traps are not stickers or painted representations"

Does this make sense?

• Like 2

We should also consider the option of a sling. Below is a pic of a Shoretrooper display from the movie, where the e-11 has a sling. How it attaches to the front is unknown.

No automatic alt text available.

23380191_534963733517482_3403348000780090805_n.png?oh=143c62e1abed22025e0bf73637f07e5d&oe=5A9DAF6C

Granted it's not seen anywhere else, but the fact it's there on this e-11, it could be an option. Like how in TFA, Daniel Craig's FOTK blaster had a sling, however granted that he was the same as all other TK's, not a special variant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parquette said:

We should also consider the option of a sling. Below is a pic of a Shoretrooper display from the movie, where the e-11 has a sling. How it attaches to the front is unknown.

No automatic alt text available.

23380191_534963733517482_3403348000780090805_n.png?oh=143c62e1abed22025e0bf73637f07e5d&oe=5A9DAF6C

Granted it's not seen anywhere else, but the fact it's there on this e-11, it could be an option. Like how in TFA, Daniel Craig's FOTK blaster had a sling, however granted that he was the same as all other TK's, not a special variant. 

You need images of a Stormtrooper with one to allow it to be added, just because another costume has them doesn't mean a Stormtrooper does.

With regards to the cover strips I must admit I've not really looked at the R1 TK's until this morning.

My take is that the outside pieces have a raised section which fits over the inner side piece, a cover strip is attached on top (or both are already molded to it). The raised section overlaps but really the armor pieces go together as a butt join, they are not overlapped only the raised section overlaps.

Having a look at Jim's kit it has the raised section on the outer piece that then overlaps in inner piece, which is the same as screen used.

So really it's only the raised section that overlaps, not a tradition OT TK overlap.

But if you used standard OT TK pieces they would butt join and a raised section be glued on top and then a smaller cover strip on top of that so there would be no overlap ;)

So to sum up the raised section overlaps but using other armor it would butt together.

4cd281c57353853ece46cda3a8849a43.jpg

1a490837a66a3b7dc7c0c36a5ad2f530.jpg

Screen used

28089829570_9abf01a7b7_z.jpg 

28372544435_b27119b74c_z.jpg 

21 hours ago, Parquette said:

The debate I was bringing back regarding what can be done for basic. There's no thick plastic suppliers where I'm at and recreating those edges are a pain in the butt. 

Unfortunately that is just one of those things, most of what is required for costumes I can't find locally so I have to source it online but I don't ask for a change in the CRL because of it ;) 

No doubt as Paul has mentioned someone will eventually come up with a conversion kit of cover strips for use on other armor.

5 hours ago, Big Deal said:

Maybe the reference to the tears and traps could be re-worded. 

"Tears and traps may not be hand painted"

I'm guessing that this means there should physically be a tear and trap with indented lines or vents and that they aren't just stickers or painted on. But I think that hand painting should be allowed as long as they are physically represented.

Perhaps something like:

"Tears and traps are built out from helmet and depth can visibly be seen. Grooves are indented to represent venting. Tears and traps are not stickers or painted representations"

Does this make sense?

Yes, I like it.