Rogue One Stormtrooper CRL

Dark PWF

2 hours ago, SlyFox740 said:

Yes and if you read the CRL requirements level 3 says "Scope shall be a real or replica 1943 M38"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troopers Helping Troopers also includes patience with others :peace:

Sorry to bother, I will stop posting so much, I didn't mean to test your patience. Just confirming he is correct about the copy, always my pleasure to help where I can. Peace.

1 hour ago, SlyFox740 said:

Sorry to bother, I will stop posting so much, I didn't mean to test your patience. Just confirming he is correct about the copy, always my pleasure to help where I can. Peace.

No worries Henry, we know you've worked hard on this and we appreciate it. :jc_doublethumbup:

Hey Daetrin, I weathered my R1TK helmet to reflect the Labor guards. However, there isn't the weathering option listed on the CRL. Just for clarification, this WILL be approvable yes? 

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: indoor

Close up of weathering: It's worth noting that this helmet isn't supposed to be heavily weathered. I like the mud smudged, but still shiny and glossy look. I wanted it to be close to the film, but also close to the troopers on Sullust in Battlefront. 

Image may contain: outdoor

But those are the ones with tge packs? These troopers are just guards, standard troopers with no backpacks or pauldrons.

I think MEPD should get the Jedha weathered sandtrooper, but FISD should get Labor guards weathering. 

So should I continue weathering this like tge helmet? I want to know so I know I'll be approvable.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 10:30 AM, Daetrin said:

Good point.  I think we *may*, else it will go to MEPD as they have "dirty folk".

The film makers went with the "used look" for all the troopers (including TKs) in this movie,  I dont think there are any seen on screen that don't have some weathering. I think it's fair to assume that this look will continue in future movies of this period (Solo for example).

So, either "some level" of weathering needs to be an accepted option or the whole  costume, and possibly any future ones, get handed over to the MEPD.  Because there aren't any "clean" RO TKs.

Yup, which is why it will likely stay here.  Even the original ANH TK's had some scuffing, etc. in numerous scenes.  I just want to ensure I get the language right.

So I can, in good conciense, weather my TK to reflect the muddy transport guard and it will get approved? I've already done so, but it's not a lot. It's on the border line of clean and muddy. But not too muddy, I like the white ;)

If the above is the case, would you be willing to sometime update the current CRL to include this option?

Edited by Parquette

At some point it will be.  The short answer is: talk to your GML though.  Even if it's in the CRL, they can reject you if they feel the weathering isn't done right, or the armor doesn't fit right, etc.  Weathering can be tricky and I've seen GMLs accept sandtroopers I'd have rejected as an example.

The CRL will likely provide 2 options on R1 TK, one that says it can be lightly scuffed and another to be emulating the prison guard, e.g. heavily weathered.   

• Like 1

Right, I'll make some updates to the weathering. I'll try to make some of the details really pop through darker weathering, but otherwise I'm going to try to keep it on the brink of just muddy, and clean. 

Also, baton update (and anesthetically it makes much more sense to me, as a real baton). The baton isn't squarish. I was just rewatching the scene and the square part we're seeing is in fact the holster, like another member here referred to as a possibility. 

Please forgive the crappy cellphone pic.

22550484_535190093486480_525253890959394

See how the rectangle is off set? But also notice how the handle has a very close width to the top of the baton? This leads me to believe that it's really just a spherical baton. 

I'll make an updated baton to reflect this and will post updated pics for the CRL. 

• Like 1

I think it looks good.  I spoke with the LMO about this as numerous CRLs we own need to start allowing dirt, or I should say light weathering.  There are a few ways we can standardize this in our language, so we'll see what he says.  May be the weekend before we get an answer.

Great! So I'll keep the weathering at that, "tempo," if you will. In regards to the baton, I have another picture that shows the cylinder overall shape of it. 

You can see the holster blur, and the black silhouette of the baton.

22539987_535543876784435_301732559026093

• Like 1

Another observation. I have identified a "stunt" variant in R1. Take a look at the thighs in the shots below. notice how they don't rise higher and are actually completely flat at the top? That's for the specific scenes they are in. For instance, the first shot is where K2-S0 whoops some trooper's butts in the vault. So either they did use this suit for a real stunt, or it's a recycled stunt suit from other sequences. Which leads me to the next shot.

22196168_529319200740236_210189314545699

Notice how the troop next to the tank has the exact same cut thighs. Allows for greater mobility in stunts. 

rogue-one-stromtroopers-and-tank.jpg

Also notice the big black gap in between the thighs in these shots and the belt. I'm actually struggling with a problem. My thighs I think are cut a fraction of a fraction too short at the top, and the gap between them and the belt is just about as severe as the 1rst screen shot. I was wondering if this would be a problem for 501st basic? I tried raising them, but that just makes a gap in the knee (causing it to not touch the top of the shin). I'll provide a pic below, along with some references images that also suffer from the same problem

22555405_536827886656034_538660421037330

UBdiif7.jpg

2B3A7C4B00000578-3191342-In_full_gear_Ca

Notice the low cut thighs on the front row left trooper. Also note how easily some of the drop boxes got caught behind the tops of the thighs.

Edited by Parquette

I honestly don't think we have enough definitive evidence to determine the exact shape of the baton for certain, either way square or round. We just don't have a clear closeup, maybe the CRL actually needs to be more vague on the baton as we don't really know that much about it other than what we can make out.

Agreed. I just don't see why they would go with the block-shaped route. It just doesn't look like a riot baton aesthetically. 

Also, here's my updated baton if you'd like to update the CRL pic. I think this version opens up the grounds for whatever shape the real one might be. So far, we can determine that it's got a cylinder shape for the most part. 

This picture I think confirms the cylinder shape. 

rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-932.jpg

Also in this shot, it looks like there's a tab protruding from the baton into the holster of the belt. You can see the shadow from the explosion. I'm wondering if the baton runs on the same 'hook on" system the FOTK blasters do (when you attach them to the thigh). Also, judging by the light reflection off of the holster, it looks like it could be made out of leather.

rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-1465.jpg

Here's my baton.

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by Parquette

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. There's only 1 thing I can see. If you watch the prisoner heist scene, when the door explodes, you can clearly see the baton moving back and forth slightly, as if it was attached in front of the holster. Which leads me to believe that the holster doesn't have any sort of "cup" or "holder" for the baton itself, but rather the baton has an attachment that goes into the holster. Mine's attached with snaps, which seems to do the trick. However it swings like crazy if I jog in the armor, and it'll hit me. 

I think the CRL need's to be updated, considering others might be misled by the rectangular striking section (which isn't there). Let me chat with Daetrin and see if we can get it updated a.s.a.p.

Edited by Parquette

Here's my button based pretty faithfully on the limited screen shots we have. It is my belief that the baton's single connection to the holster is through the same kind of hook on system the FOTK Blasters have to the thigh holsters. I don't know what the name is for those parts, but on my baton it attaches through a snap. So that, the stitching on the edge of the holster, and the shine is probably the only inaccurate things about this build. Hopefully they'll be helpful.

23213345_543579142647575_410959856046186

23157391_543579322647557_367667309882789

23213483_543579639314192_841275815709321

23213131_543579819314174_375880233049182

EDIT!: Upon further inspection, it looks like there's 2 points of attachment to the holster. If you look at the shadow of the first connection, then look at the silhouette of the baton, it appears there's a darker section on it coming from  attachment area. Now if you go downward, you'll find another one at the bottom of the holster on the baton. The holster is clinging to that section. I believe that is the second point of contact. This explains why the baton only budged slightly when the door exploded in the prisoner break scene. There's also a particular highlight at the bottom of the baton itself, as you can see it has a slight reflection at the bottom. I think there's a possibility it could be similar to darthcue's handle, and how it has a special grip section of sorts. I don't know though. If anything, that light reflection on that tiny part could be a handle extension.

Here's what I think the CRL need's added:

-Has 2 points of connection: One just below the top of the holster, and one at the very bottom of it. 

-Holster design is as pictured.

rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-1465.jpg

Edited by Parquette
  • Like 1

Thanks Reese.  Could we not have a few levels of accuracy for the CRL?

E.g. L1 allows Christian's design as well.  We can simply say that it's a black cylinder approximately x" in diameter and x" long.  The holster needs to be black and attached to the belt.

@ L2 then we can say that the baton is painted semi-matte and needs to be externally attached to the holster.

@ L3 then we can say it is made of metal or wood and has 2 points of attachment, and give the approximately dimensions of the snaps.  We can also say that the "holster' is a simple strap of leather x" long looped over the belt.

What do you think?

• Like 1

We can do that. I still think the external baton attachment should be an all round requirement, but that's just me. Mainly because that's a major characteristic of the R1TK baton. I do like the look of Christian's baton itself, I just feel that if it was attached exteriorly, it would look much closer. 

Also Daetrin, your requirements are good. Nothing need's to be changed as far as I can see.

Edited by Parquette
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New information regarding what could be the riot batons in R1. I know it's only a possibility, but I had to share. In the new Battlefront II game in the story mode, it appears there's troopers armed with extended riot batons (they literally look like average batons). Go to 1:12:37 and watch as a troop runs at Leia with a baton. There's another one a few seconds earlier but it's hard to see the baton when he falls. 

Maybe something like the below examples. I thought in one of the ref images above I saw a little piece sticking out of the bottom. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA4MvokM_XAhXBfyYKHaQ1CD0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.9safety.com%2Fwebsite%2Fhtml%2Fproduct%2FEX9000_nylon_riot_expandable_baton_a2108.html&psig=AOvVaw0jvQI5DPYUlM9cV7XroEk6&ust=1511335279354761

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiiur-Aks_XAhWB8CYKHTffCjsQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.selfdefensesuperstore.com%2Fself-defense-products%2Fbatons&psig=AOvVaw3gtyLg-iX7gxDgnr4E2Qnx&ust=1511335470998480

Honestly I'd go with the latter. 3 part basic sections, and straight black with some texture on the striking section. I feel that in battlefront II these batons need closer inspection

• Like 1