Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

For me I really don't like it.

I am probably too much a traditionalist but it now looks like any other sci fi incarnation, where as before the vision was groundbreaking.

While I see the evolution argument, I don't see why the iconic image of the stormtrooper could not be kept throughout.

The fact that Vader never once changed his appearance, from Sith to Jedi, the evolution argument washes even less. If his trooper changed surely he would.

They messed with a perfectly good and unique stormtrooper to me for the sake of it.

If rumour is correct that Vader may make an appearance in Episode 7, god forbid they mess around with his appearance

Well that is my point, you say it would need to be upgraded over the time period, yet Vader went through from Sith to Jedi with no changes, except a helmet resculpt which in essence is exactly the same. The flash back scene is only a rumour as it is possible that he was also cloned by the Emperor, just an idea as the full involment of Vader in Episode7 has not been released and the flashback is only a rumour started on a thread.

As to not making sense, there are many things that don't make sense, but I feel the significant changes of the Stormtroopers has been a detriment. At the height of the galaxy the Stormtroopers probably have the most low tech design, compared to the films before and looking at the images after. This in my opinion should have been taken into account and the new designs worked around that. Yes the Stomtrooper was designed in 1977, so that us what we got, now I feel design is running away, in every film.

As said maybe a traditionalist, but changes I feel should have been less, if nothing else as a tribute to the iconic stormtrooper design.

If the original films gave us one thing, it was that simplicity worked and once a character is established and recognised stay with it. The stormtrooper, although many in number, is a significant character in my eyes.

This alone has really put me off the new films, I really hoped it would go back to the original visions we grew up with.

He looks like the STIG from Top Gear.

Vaders appearance changed a lot between each of the 4 movies, almost every single piece was modified. Granted the TK's changed slightly more, but from the normal non critical person, vader and TK's look the same from movie to movie.

Vaders appearance changed a lot between each of the 4 movies, almost every single piece was modified. Granted the TK's changed slightly more, but from the normal non critical person, vader and TK's look the same from movie to movie.

The changes were minimal, yes to the trained eye we spot the chest box changes, the belt changes, the face mask sculpts, neck hooks etc. I don't think these were intended to show upgrades, more the piece evolved in the workshop.

That said, the TK also changed but not significantly yet again, we all know the evolution of the Jedi from a ESB set.

I wouldn't have a problem if the same degree of changes had been minimal and using the OT TKs as a basis, but to me the evolution has designed an almost completely different look, and certainly outweighs any level of changes to vader of the same approx time period

The changes were minimal, yes to the trained eye we spot the chest box changes, the belt changes, the face mask sculpts, neck hooks etc. I don't think these were intended to show upgrades, more the piece evolved in the workshop.

That said, the TK also changed but not significantly yet again, we all know the evolution of the Jedi from a ESB set.

I wouldn't have a problem if the same degree of changes had been minimal and using the OT TKs as a basis, but to me the evolution has designed an almost completely different look, and certainly outweighs any level of changes to vader of the same approx time period

If the Tks change slightly every year  then obviously in 30 years they are gonna look different. ROTJ troopers and ANH troopers don't look like eachother at all. The helmet is almost a completely different shape. I notice starwars fans hate change no matter what. We should be happy there even is stormtroopers in EP 7 They coulda gone a different path. Things change and you have to deal with it.

If the Tks change slightly every year then obviously in 30 years they are gonna look different. ROTJ troopers and ANH troopers don't look like eachother at all. The helmet is almost a completely different shape. I notice starwars fans hate change no matter what. We should be happy there even is stormtroopers in EP 7 They coulda gone a different path. Things change and you have to deal with it.

We don't have to deal with it, we can take a disliking to it and that is completely reasonable, much the same as those who love it.

This is a discussion forum, I put my opinions down politely and as stated are my opinion.

I don't expect everyone to agree, but equally I don't accept being told to deal with it.

Not sure what jedi helmet you are looking at that is a completely different shape :-o softer yes, but essentially the same ESB helmet, same as Vaders helmet changes from ANH to Jedi.

Edited by tk7713gra30

Clones are similar, but not anywhere near a TK. I'm sure the new Troopers will have the same degree of separation as Clones to Storms.

This much discussion, and we have ONLY seen a couple photos from the helmet...

I fully reserve opinion until I see the whole getup.

Indeed too early to call. I see far too much speculation running around images found all over the web from unreliable sources. They have little to no merit at all to them.

Secondly, consider the possibility that some "leaks" might be intentional to throw the public off the trail. Disinformation as it's called. It's very common and has even been done in star Wars before. Remember "Revenge of the Jedi"?

In other words, as fun as it might be, keep calm.

I can understand many people wanting to see and hear rumors and spoilers but to me, they take away from seeing the movie for the first time! A perfect example of a movie was the second Captain America....way to much was shown in previews. Especially when they showed the entire elevator scene before Thor 2. Then a friend posted on FB about who the bad guys were the day after it was released. While I loved the movie, all the previews and spoilers took away from the movie...

As Star War fans, of course we want to to know what the powers that be have to show us but what about the fact they could be very well taking us back to our childhood, when we first saw those Stormtroopers coming through that blown door blasting at the rebel scum....Part of that joy is the surprises in store for us....we're in a hobby that very addicting, exciting, taking us back to our childhood by dressing up as TK's and passing that joy on to others....

I respect those who want to know now and can't wait to see what the next generation armor will be and when it will come out. I would ask others to respect me and others who are okay with waiting to see for the movie and seeing what the future armor will be.

As a fellow TK, I would also ask everyone to respect each other's opinions as well.

Edited by Slangen

Here, here Steve. Maybe we should place a 'possible spoiler' banner somewhere on here, lest anyone might accidentally see or hear something they don't want to.

Great idea!!

If this is real: I LOVE it! That looks so dang cool. I'm not much for change, but this looks so cool. I hope this is right, but at the same time, why would stormtroopers evolve after the fall of the Empire?

When did the Empire fall though? The expanded universe is now not canon, and I dont believe it happened like the end of Robot Chicken where the rules were to kill the Emporer and destroy the death star. The Empire would have taken quite the blow, but it could have survived. America didnt cease to exist whenever a president was killed. So the Empire has continued to go on, and I expect(but this is ONLY speculation) that Empire we see in EpVII is like the Remnant of the old expanded universe, and possibly fighting to regain its former glory days.

Great points Joey, in particular about the "fall" of the Empire.  I'd prefer to think that the Empire was still there, and the TKs still battling the Jedi and their cohorts.

Last night I tried to find the largest version of "the" helmet pic and after doing this I opened it in iPhoto. I wondered if the photo could possibly have any further secrets to reveal and I was quite surprised to find that it did!

------------

At first I wasn't sure where it had pointed me to but after zooming out I realised that it was Pinewood. The skylights in the roof seem to match the reflections in the helmet as well.

The date in May could suggest that whoever took the pic has left the production and now doesn't fear the reprisals quite as much. The reduced size of the file might suggest that the pic was emailed or texted off the phone (an Apple iPhone 5s).

If only I could just make out a little more detail in the picture itself....

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I think it is a good evolution of the original.  And I am getting into the 3D printing aspect of these helmets to make molds from.  We are building a large format 3D printer as I type this, So as soon as I see the full set of armor and final version of the helmet, I am totally making a helmet suit on a 3D printer and figuring a way to do this.  So cool!  And I love the bubble lenses.

Edited by Elumusic

On 8/22/2014 at 3:30 AM, R5SB said:

At first I wasn't sure where it had pointed me to but after zooming out I realised that it was Pinewood. The skylights in the roof seem to match the reflections in the helmet as well.

The date in May could suggest that whoever took the pic has left the production and now doesn't fear the reprisals quite as much. The reduced size of the file might suggest that the pic was emailed or texted off the phone (an Apple iPhone 5s).

Nicely spotted Andy, it never crossed my mind to look at the EXIF.

I've been playing with CAD:

0tGHxVd.jpg

But I'm not doing any additional work on it til more reference pics surface. Hopefully it won't be too long. ;)

On 8/22/2014 at 3:30 AM, R5SB said:

Last night I tried to find the largest version of "the" helmet pic and after doing this I opened it in iPhoto. I wondered if the photo could possibly have any further secrets to reveal and I was quite surprised to find that it did!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 2