Stormtrooper in Episode VII

DroidHunter

Thanks Vern, that made me chuckle.

If only I had the same computing power that they had in Bladerunner. I should be able to zoom into the reflections and make out the whole design for armour and helmets! :)

On 8/24/2014 at 8:30 PM, themacalu said:

And the first prototypes come out. Sucks that it had to come from that vendor though.

----------

http://i.imgur.com/laiYEzG.jpg

Quite a long face its got lol..

Also I like their description "MEETS and/or EXCEEDS 501st club costuming requirements"  :laugh1: 

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I guess I missed the part where the 501st officially agreed on a design spec for the Ep VII helmet.  :)

Oh, and they're calling this a "Star Wars Rebels" Stormtrooper helmet.   Even if this helmet was officially revealed, it's not for Rebels.

????

Sorry - I was being facetious.   :)  They're stating on that site the "Episode VII" helmet design they made meets or exceeds 501st standards.  The 501st doesn't have a standard on that helmet because it isn't even verified that it's a helmet used in the movie.

That, and they have it listed on that website as a "Star Wars Rebels" helmet.

I guess it technically could be Rebels. After they defeated the Empire they could have also taken over the troopers. We don't know yet. Also the rumor is that one of the characters is a defecting stormtrooper. This could be what they are talking about as well. I guess we will not know until later. I do agree about the 501st and how they don't have a standard yet on this, so saying that it meets or exceeds standards is just plane premature.  

I guess it technically could be Rebels. After they defeated the Empire they could have also taken over the troopers. We don't know yet. Also the rumor is that one of the characters is a defecting stormtrooper. This could be what they are talking about as well. I guess we will not know until later. I do agree about the 501st and how they don't have a standard yet on this, so saying that it meets or exceeds standards is just plane premature.  

I took the label to mean it was a Stormtrooper helmet from the "Rebels" animated series coming out this fall.  That's how I read it.

I thought the yellow font looked familiar, that and the fact that one of the comments said it shipped from the Philippines and not NY. Best to avoid and wait for the many talented, reputable makers on here make it up. Also wait to get an actual confirmation that this is indeed the final sculpt. 

I took the label to mean it was a Stormtrooper helmet from the "Rebels" animated series coming out this fall.  That's how I read it.

Ok, got you. Makes sense now. That would be stupid of them! 

I dig the new look.  I'm a little apprehensive, and always will be because I love the ANH troopers, but this kinda gives me the feel of some of the old Ralph Mcquarrie stuff and that isn't bad on any level.  ALTHOUGH...I do have to admit...it seems weird that even after the fall of the Empire (I know the core planets were still pretty loyal to the Empire after it was all said an done) the armor would have been updated/improved so drastically for a foot soldier in a now essentially retreating force.  I would expect the Empire to be mashing up bits of whatever they could salvage since they have become the new "rebellion".  But that is just me being overly critical, I guess, haha.  But hell, look at Kir Kanos, even though that was only a few years after ROTJ in the timeline, his armor and every character in the series was pretty much holding true to the look of the past characters.  Anyway...I digress...the new lid looks badass and I can't wait to see the rest of the armor.

• 2 weeks later...

At first I quite liked the look of the new lid, but this new pic is not to my liking at all. The distance between the eyes seems to be much bigger than on the ANH lid. So you could only have a sideway glimpse of your surroundings. Also the face now has the look of a badger or Disney's Beagle Boys.

When looking at the "evolution" of helmets this one brings us back to the Phase I Clone trooper design, resembling a bucket with no eyecatching features only that its top is flatted out like the ANH. The RMQ had much more features and greeblies on it, so I do not see much of a resemblance.

At first I quite liked the look of the new lid, but this new pic is not to my liking at all. The distance between the eyes seems to be much bigger than on the ANH lid. So you could only have a sideway glimpse of your surroundings. Also the face now has the look of a badger or Disney's Beagle Boys.

When looking at the "evolution" of helmets this one brings us back to the Phase I Clone trooper design, resembling a bucket with no eyecatching features only that its top is flatted out like the ANH. The RMQ had much more features and greeblies on it, so I do not see much of a resemblance.

if you are referring to the pic I posted it is fan made, pretty sure the eyes are wrong

if you are referring to the pic I posted it is fan made, pretty sure the eyes are wrong

I direly hope so! I think the design is made to have two separated eyes and not a single visor and a eyedistance such as this would ruin not only the looks but also be totally unpractical to wear.

My wife suggested maybe those are mere sensors and not lenses, so the operator sees his surroundings by incorporated displays, but from a costume point of view this would still be unpractical for the bearer. Also I doubt such big lenses were necessary at all with the display solution. Of course this is all mere speculation.

On 9/7/2014 at 6:04 PM, WhiteNight said:

I direly hope so! I think the design is made to have two separated eyes and not a single visor and a eyedistance such as this would ruin not only the looks but also be totally unpractical to wear.

My wife suggested maybe those are mere sensors and not lenses, so the operator sees his surroundings by incorporated displays, but from a costume point of view this would still be unpractical for the bearer. Also I doubt such big lenses were necessary at all with the display solution. Of course this is all mere speculation.

The guy updated his model, the eyes are closer but i still think they are the wrong shape

-----------------

Here's what i saw by brightening / sharpening the image, and how I think the eyes should be roughly shaped:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 3 weeks later...