Funny question for you married guys!

Marvinrobot

Ok like many of you I'm married, while I'm new to life with the 501st I'm curious what tactics have you all developed over the years to get your significant other "Imperial Requisitions Officer" to understand why you need more than one armor, or why you won't stop touching it...armor that is. :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once she saw how "normal" everyone was - she wanted to join too. (by normal, I mean not fat nerds who have no social life and live in their mom's basement). :lol:

Ā 

I used to ask before I could buy something, now I just order it and hope she doesn't say anything! :lol:

Ā 

Plus I'm working on her Zam cosutme - which cost more than my TK!

Once I joked its either this or off to drug land. I was kidding, but she got the point there could be far worse "hobbies"

At 40+ I don't get excited about much any more, so when I got into the 501st my wife was behind me 100% She was happy to see me with a new hobby, especially one that I can share with our two boys.

When I first joined my local Garrison the members (at the time) wern't overly welcoming to the spouses, but that has really changed in the last couple of years. Now most of the wives show up to spot or just give suport. I think it's because we got a lot of new older/married members at one time.

I even kicked around the idea of having a board group for all of Vaders Widdows. I think maybe the reason so many wives have trouble with trooping (besides $) is it's something new that takes the husband away from home; New friends that are suddenly important.

I guess I'm lucky to have my wife. I can do prety uch anything I want.... except DragoCon.

My wife thought I was flat nuts. (I own 5 costumes)... Then she saw me troop. Now She looks at it diffrent, dosent like the money part, but I am for the most part done spending the big dollars, so now its just maintance. I try not to let it interfere with normal plans or life, and she seems to have came around to the fact I am a trooper.

It did take her to see the reactions of people to get her onboard with it. She thinks the reason I troop is the cool part.

I didnt sell it though, she saw it. Now were fine!

im not married but my girlfriend is ok about it, my family on the other hand isnt so cool. I think the trick would be to show her how cool whatever you buy is then you tell her how much you spent, i think the first reaction will overcome the price....... maybe not.

Those are some great repies guys...I have to say she IS very supportive of me to the point of getting figures and stuff, it must be a timing thing for her since I've only had my FX TK four months and I already want a different one. To her I should have done better research before dropping the first load of cash, but I think that's the nature of trooping or anything else in life, that first car we all had was pretty cool till we saw our first Ferrari (I see them more often since I'm stationed in Italy).

My wife doesn't really care for it. She says I live in Fantasy Land. I say, I don't drink, screw around, I make good money, you can buy whatever you want, I'm buying the OSCS armor. Then I buy it, cause I run the finances.

Once I joked its either this or off to drug land. I was kidding, but she got the point there could be far worse "hobbies"

Ā 

LOL!

Ā 

The trick for me was to get her involved. If your wife loves attention (and let's face it they all do) get her a costume too. For her at 4'-11 the Jawa choice was obvious. Here are the two of us at the Makaze Squad (Florida Garrison) annual BBQ. I am known more for my Greedo than my TK. Star Wars Weekends are a blast!

Ā 

All your wife need is some fans and she will be OK with it, if not hooked like us......

Ā 

couple.jpg

Ā 

TK/BH-2960

When I was dating my wife-to-be I always expressed an interest in getting TK armour. She would smile and think to herself, "just keep smiling and pray this won't ever happen...."

A few years after we got married, I was zeroing in on buying armour, and in my attempts to include her, would bore her with the arcane details of what was the best buy, etc... Finally, in complete exasperation she blurted out, "just buy something and don't go on and on about this vs. that!"

She bought some peace and quiet and I bought myself some armour.

When she saw the bill, she was really upset, and more horrified that I would wear it out in public.

However, the reaction from friends, family, and neighbors was pretty good. In fact, when guests come to visit they often want to try on the helmet and maybe even some armour.

She's amused by it, but still keeps up the pretense of being horrified about the whole thing.

Its a bit off from the norm but my girlfriend is the one who suggested I get my armor in the first place after she had a great experience with our local garrison at the Ep I release. She even dragged me out to met the local troops at a toys for tots event. Needless to say i was hooked.

I won't name names, but two of my great loves are as into this as I am. As in multiple costumes. :) And the other is into professional theatre, and spends enough time in, around, and making costumes for work to do it in her spare time, too. *heh* But she approves of what the 501st does, and that averts her annoyance with "amateurs". ;) I don't really think I could love someone that completely if they didn't at least have a peripheral interst in this sort of thing. Whatever other interests we had in common, or not.

Ā 

--Jonah

My wife will periodically walk up to the mannequin and yells to me, "who am I?" I am required to immediatley respond, "you are THE BEST WIFE EVER!" Seems like a small price to pay for TK armor! :lol:

I got it in October and she still makes me do it almost everyday! She's good to me though! She's sending me to Steamboat Springs with 2 buddies this weekend to ski for my birthday! She truely is one of the best wives ever! I don't mind saying it.

My wife buys my supplies for me...just the other day she says, "I'm going to Wal Mart, want me get you the batting helmet you need for your stormtrooper helmet?" Now thats <3!

Let's just say that for me it's come close to being a divorce worthy issue. She stopped asking, I stopped telling. I really *don't* recommend this though. I try to keep the spending restricted to upgrades (mostly) since the last big argument.

Paul, I can sympathize. My wife doesn't care about it, hates to hear me talk about it, but gets mad when I don't tell her about it because I'm "not being completely honest". The catch 22 of wives.

My whole venture started out as something me and my buddy were talking about doing...I think she thought that's all we would do...talk. My buddy's wife is my wife's friend so when she said she didn't care I think she must of felt like "no way she's going to out wife me" and gave me the green light...the whole initial point was to pariticipate in our base's Trunk or Treat thing. Unfortunately, I spent so much time with my friend making "first time repairs" that she never really saw the reactions. Anyways, she's cool for the most part she just didn't want me getting a second costume...the old things are never good enough for you argument

I got it in October and she still makes me do it almost everyday! She's good to me though! She's sending me to Steamboat Springs with 2 buddies this weekend to ski for my birthday! She truely is one of the best wives ever! I don't mind saying it.

Ā 

You should stop in and say hi. Denver is just on the other side of the hills!!!

Ā 

My wife is the same, and she believes it is better than spending time and money in bars. Plus, she goes on most of my troops, and really helps get the kids involved (our and others). I keep telling her we will do a Mara for her at some point, but she hasn't pushed, and my sandy project and all the decals I am doing is taking most of my open free time.

Ā 

:trooper:

Gentlemen if I may intrude into this topic as a mom to a soon to be 501st member (and a wife)

Take your wife with you when you troop to the children's hospital (or any event with kids for that matter)

The look from those children as you walk into their room is priceless.