The Best Sterling Templates EVER!

ZeroRoom

Phenomenal work Christian! Wow this is going to be helpful.

Ā 

Work was a b*tch today so I didn't get very far with the templates but bed off Christians pics yesterday I did manage to get the stock clip (bottom back of the receiver) template done. My thinking is that the remaining blueprints would match this style:

Ā 

k0lXGdp.png

Ā 

(bear in mind this is just a screen resolution preview pic so don't try to use it for scale templates yet! - obviously we're looking at full PDF's for final work). The final files might need a separate PDF file for printable templates and measurement/ instruction pages, but here I've combined them as one. The original file is absolutely accurate to the measurements listed so it will be printable at 100% and be accurate. I want the templates to be useable by laser cutters too so the vector lines need to be accurate.

Ā 

Now that we're really starting to accumulate the measurements I'll keep going and keep the posts coming with every update.

Ā 

PS - Don't forget to correct me if I'm wrong on any part!

wowo!!!! this is going to be phenomenal

Ā 

i had an idea for the receiver.. take a piece of thin paper and wrap it around the main body (vent holes cocking slot ext...) then take a rubbing with charcoal or a pencil.. then scan the rubbing with a scanner and Photoshop it into a exactly correct template.. this template would need adjustments for other pipe diameters as well.. as it would only work correctly on a 38mm OD aluminum or steel pipe

Brilliant idea! If anyone can do this all you would need to do is post the scan here and name just a few of the important measurements. From there I can do up vector art. If the measurements are listed the scan wouldn't even need to be 100% size - just not distorted with regards to H x W proportions - I can scale it just fine with just a few basic but important measurements.

i would suggest at least 3 variants of the receiver template to accommodate people in different regions, though these could be made later on..

Ā 

standard 1.5" OD 38.099999999999994mm (un-altered tamplate) will only work on metal pipes (there is no PVC that i know of with this OD) and might be hard to find or even illegal for a E-11 in some places

Ā 

1 1/4" Schedule 40 PVC has an outside diameter of 1.660" or 42.16399999995446mm (this is a common sized pipe anybody can get in north America at a hardware store)

Ā 

40mm Metric PVC-U Pipe 40mm OD

There is an exactly 1.5" OD PVC pipe available. I have some :) where does it come from? I have no idea! I ordered a poster from England a few months back and it just so happens the seller sent it in this diameter pipe. Nope I didn't believe it either because it isn't available here, but I've measured and remeasured it and yep - bang on. I've also test fit any and all cast Stirling pieces I have and it's bang on...

i am sure there is 1.5 OD PVC. somewhere :lol: ...but common sizes that one can get everywhere at a reasonable cost would benefit more people than something that is only available in a galaxy far far away..

No no - of course it would and I will be sure to scale for those folks, once the true sizes are finished. Really I just wanted to show off my unbelievable good luck :D

Ā 

Christian - thanks for asking - I'll keep you posted :)

I'm so glad that this project has started. I've been answering the same questions over and over in posts.

I even made plans for the 1.5" with corrected measurements for the placement of doopy do's parts.

since my plan was created for PVC pipe, it's going to be great to see a set of plans that could be

used to mount real sterling parts to.

Ā 

the only person I've seen with a diagram was ERV at plecterlabs and he had to modify the diameter and

the breech.

Ā 

it will be a great asset to print out a template and send it to the machinist to cut.

Ā 

Ā 

but this thread is taking the E-11 to the level that it finally should.

Sir you are thorough - big thumbs up :D

Ā 

I'll try to get the full grip and trigger assembly diagramed up tonight. The trigger guard on the usual templates doesn't insert into the grip like it does on a real Stirling, so a new bending guide is getting drawn up too. And two trigger templates - one for a real Stirling trigger and one that fits the insertion point on a doopy doos grip cast.

Ā 

I've got another question on the tube diagram for you to measure later too Mark but I have to draw up what I mean first...

I try my best. I'm crap at photoshop. But hopefully you get the idea.

How do I do curved lines and get the text to curve like in the photo of the trigger guard above?

Some of the measurements might not add up as some are approximate. I'll leave that up to you.

To get those curved lines I use illustrator. There really isn't a reliable way to do it in photoshop although there is a pen tool.

Do you have illustrator as well as photoshop? If you don't have illustrator grab 'Inkscape' the open source, free version of illustrator here:

Ā 

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18954/inkscape

Ā 

If needed I'll teach you exactly how to do it and how to get curved text