Jes Gistang - research thread

My $0.02 on the whole latex versus ABS debate:

Short Version:

It needs to be ABS.

Long Version:

First off, would you consider doing a male version in latex? Mind you, the majority of Legacy Troopers are male. Jes Gistang and another unnamed famale are the only women we know of directly. So as we are planning the Legacy Trooper costume, men and women will have the oppurtunity to wear it, and you have to keep that in mind.

Secondly, just because Jes has typical idealized proportions that shouldn't stop a normal woman from costuming her and using legitimate materials. By that standard, no Rebel Legion member would be able to costume any of the animated Padme costumes. You can acheive the same look of proportions through a few age old tricks. The easiest one is of course to make the chest plate bigger to make the waist look smaller. If you compare the male and female Legacy Trooper chest plates, you will clearly see that the female plate is MUCH deeper than the male plate. You can also exaggerate the curve on the sides of the plate so that is looks like the bust is much smaller than the waist. That being said, there are going to need to be a few more size varieties in the kits made to account for different sized women more than are needed for regular stormtrooper kits because the ab plate is so fitted.

Lastly, if you look at the analysis that Darth Furious did, he estimated that the cross line across her waist was approximately 12 inches, which would be 1 half her total waist for a total of 24 inches. The picture does not account for depth, so I'd add about 4 inches to that for what her real waist measurement is. That 28 inches. That is my waist measurement. My waist to bust proportions match up pretty well with Jes's and I am also nearly 6 foot (5'10'') similar to Jes. While Jes is stylized to a certain extent, she isn't some unhuman goddess. My meaurements match up pretty well to hers so claiming her proportions are so unrealistic and can't be replicated properly with ABS is kind of a crock. And for more petite women, its just a matter of scaling the size of the armor pieces. Same for skinnier or chubbier women.

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by Dionaly

Well, I was actually saying that based on the statue proportions, Jes pretty much is of inhuman goddess build.

That said, I totally agree that done right, this armour can still look as it should on a real woman.

You mentioned animated Padme, animated Clones also come to mind. Ridiculously idealised, but looks great on real people in real life.

I actually don't think that multiple sizes of ab plate would really be necessary. So long as one is made that is large enough to be trimmed to size for anyone, there shouldn't be a problem. (I say this because I'm very skinny and trimmed an FX plate to fit me)

On the other hand, the raised lines of Jes' ab are a part of what accentuates her waist...

She's super tall for her proportions, but that's the easiest stylization to account for in real-life costume design. (There's other tricks for accounting for unrealistic bust/waist ratios ala Jessica Rabbit but that's far trickier than just making the length-wise pieces shorter.)

I would say that at least 2 sizes would be needed just because I am a tall curvy build (I could probably fit into a standard TK kit with only basic mods.) On the other hand, there are a lot of petite, barely over 5 foot women in the 501st/RL There's a height and width difference that would have to be accounted for. I'm probably above average in height and average in width, so if you made the standard "big" size my height with a little extra mod-able width, it would engulf a petite woman who was below average in both height and width.

But I do agree that having extra material on the sides that could be cut down to size as needed is the only way to really make the ab plate fitted to each wearer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name=RogueTrooper' timestamp='1339392516' post='243326'

I did an article last year that highlighted some of are great women that wear white armor. Here the link to it: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16812 We will have the first Female Centurion there at C6 (Olga Plaza, TK9061. She is in the Florida Garrison, Everglades Squad).

Hope it helps man. See ya at C6.

Thanks for posting that link! I had a lot of fun answering those questions.

• 1 month later...

hey all, I just received my Jes Gistang statue today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she is beyond BEAUTIFUL!!!

I opened her at our local squad's x-mas party..........& the examination of her armour began almost immediately.

What do we need close up photos of? I can take & post them over the weekend.

for those that are concerned that she has unrealistic dimensions...............no, she has normal female curves & nice curvy ones at that (she's def got a tushy).

most of our squad seemed to think that most of her armour is clone based with a few tk parts thrown on.

her helmet - is similar but has some definite differences. Not sure if the are due to the sculpting or if they are actual design changes.

the eye lenses are narrower than regular tk.

the "eye scockets" are smoother to the rest of the helmet than a tk

the "cheek bones" are longer than a tk and have no grey coloring.

the "jaw line" pattern is black not grey

she does still has the ears (sorry but they look like headphones) are there but tthe straps that go down the sides of the helmet & then up into it, are more defined

I will take pics of all that I've noticed & get them up as quickly as I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Two questions on this project :

- Can we use the statue for reference or not only ?
A friend of mine want to make it and I would like to tell him exactly what he needs.

- Is the page 3 CRL a final one ?

Thanks guys !

PS : I join Chris : any news ? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I haven't been on here in ages.

The CRL I wrote was just a guideline for what you'd have to consider when creating the first build.  The real CRL would be written after a real-life representation was created and the detachment leaders can see what it looks like and if things need to be adusted to make the costume translate better into the real world.

As far as references, I would say that the comic books should be considered primary material (as they are officially part of the Lucas Films Canon) and the statue as a secondary reference to confirm details that are unclear in the comic.  Detatchment leaders are free to chime in with their own opinions though.

I got the proto-CRL ready and I'm good with design, but I'm not a sculptor/armorer.  (I would totally be up for helping though!) We really need one to step up and start seriously building the molds for the vaccum table so we can start seeing some Legacy Troopers!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If I was going to sculpt this I would make it look very close to this statue.

Kevin W.

You're a madman. 

I wonder if there would be actual demand for this outside of the obvious purchase from Femtrooper Julie. 

-Eric

There are at least 5 who are IN my squad that are interested, not to mention the Significant Others of current Squad Members who's eyes have LIT UP at the mention of this Kit after the usual comments about the previously created FemTrooper Armor.

- Berbs

• 3 weeks later...

I might be taking the necessary steps to get this Fem armor and helmet done. At this time I am thinking about making the size range some where around 5'1" - 5'8". This will be a Vac-formed ABS kit. Considering the way it will need to assemble it will need to be painted due to the seamless look on some of the parts, similar to clones.

Ladies if you are interested in this please let me know and also let me know how tall you are and your waist size. If you want to send your measurements to me in a PM that is fine. The sooner I can get this info the sooner I can start if there is enough interest.

I have also posted an interest thread on the main boards...

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=979457#979457

Thanks

Kevin W.

Edited by kwdesigns

I've got one fellow of the French Garrison who might be interested depending on the price.

This person would like to know if you have already an estimated price and if the helmet will be made too or if it's a classical TK to use :)

Thanks !

I've got one fellow of the French Garrison who might be interested depending on the price.

This person would like to know if you have already an estimated price and if the helmet will be made too or if it's a classical TK to use :)

Thanks !

I plan to also make her helmet because it is different than the classic TK.

Total cost wise I can't say for sure until I am near the end. But you look at my other full armor kits as examples they range between $400.00 - $675.00 USD. The helmet I also plan to vac-form like a TK so price could be around $150.00 - 180.00 USD.

But please do not hold me to this price it is way to soon to know for sure...

Kevin W.

I am 4'11", but I'll do anything I can to fit in this!

Says the woman in the rt-mod shins. ;)

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk