Jes Gistang - research thread

• 2 weeks later...

The toughest part of this character's CRL is deciding which elements are going into it. There are different artist renderings of these types of Stormtroopers. Some have thigh ammo strips or rectangular indentations on the forearms while others do not. Shoulder bells vary in shape as well as the squintiness of the helmet's eyes.

Ā 

Agreeing on one version should be interesting.

Ā 

Do we have any idea what the Gentle Giant statue helmet has for details? I've not yet seen a front shot of the bucket. If it happens to look more like the "current" TK helm and less like the futuristic rendition, could that mean that my wife could order a bucket from TM, or ATA (or another of the "smaller" makers? I mean could it be part of the CRL?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Liz, I downloaded the reference pics for the boots, I will upload the design soonely. Keep in your effort, thanks Liz.

Giovanni

Design stage finished, I will sew the leather tomorrow to upload the photos!!

Giovanni

Finals, food poisoning, and graduation has put me off being able to work on this for a while, but I do have a lovely proto-CRL that'd I'd love to share, only I can't attach a word doc to a post. What's the next best thing that I can attach for everyone to enjoy it? PDF? RichText?

Ā 

Helmet details are still really foggy for me, so I'd vote we wait until better pics of the GG helmet come out to make decisions on that part. Most other parts I have some pretty good notes on.

Just a quick shout to Giovanni that those boots are amazing. I now know where to go when I need clone shoes :duim:

Ā 

Liz - any idea whe the figure comes out?

Liz you could always use the posting tools to post the CRL... Upload the pics somewhere like flickr, and post around them here.

5753552408_f386192e38_t.jpg

Helmet

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ White fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene).

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Lenses are a flat green sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ The gray "ear" bars have three of four bumps, with a black outline. The bumps may or may not be painted.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Tube stripes are medium blue, numbering between 9 and 15 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Aerators (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painting.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Ears should have three screws used per side, one above and below the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Ear bars should have four bumps only, not three.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Correct 'hovi mic' aerator tips.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ FX helmets are not allowed.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ MRCE helmets are not allowed.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ ANHv2 helmets are not allowed.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Ear bars should have only one or two bumps painted in black.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Neck trim should be of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Tears/traps should be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painting.

Ā 

5753007197_2de368893d_t.jpg

Neck Seal

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to the top of the Adam's apple.

Ā 

Or send it to any of of us to post here... Heck I'll post it for you. It won't be as nice as the document you set up I'm sure, but it would be a start.

(and don't worry, I'd take no credit!!) :D

Daetrin - the statue is scheduled to be release in Nov 2011. It will retail for around $224.99 plus shipping. See Link below:

----------

Ā 

Ā 

Mario

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks Mario! I'd go in for one of Jes Gestang just to make sure the detachment has one for research purposes, though I'd sell it once that was done (I don't collect figures really).

I'm going to break up the proto-CRL into pieces as to not overwhelm everyone with all 6 pages at once, and just post it here. My commentary is in red. Variants are in parentheses. I based the lists off of the TK CRLs. There's still a lot of question marks. I'm posting these proto-CRLs so that we can discuss and decide on some of the details. Here goes!

Ā 

For all pieces:

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ All armor should be lightly scuffed, but not fully weathered, except where specified for face character variants

certain face characters have brand new armor or heavily weathered armor, that'll be in the last section

Ā 

First off, the helmet:

Ā 

• Ā 
  • HELMET
  • In progress
  • Closest in style to ESB TK style with added Clone elements?
    Ā 
  • Traps and Tears
  • Dark grey?
  • Rear and tears have stripes?
  • Added center back trap in white with stripes
    Ā 
  • Lenses
  • Narrow?
  • Flat or bubble?
  • Dark grey/smoke or black?
    Ā 
  • Ear Bars
  • Dark Grey?
  • 3 or 4 bumps?
  • Bumps painted?
  • Screws?
    Ā 
  • Frown
  • Black
  • Does not overlap teeth area
  • 6 teeth cut out
  • Grey mesh behind 6 cutout teeth
    alternatively the frown is grey with 5 black areas cut out
    Ā 
  • Tube stripes
  • Dark grey?
  • 7-15?
    Counted the GG statue and got 15, counted various closeups from the comic, smallest number was 7
  • Curve points to the back
    Ā 
  • Vocoder
  • Black
  • (Variant of white seen)
    Ā 
  • Aerators
  • Black
  • (Variant of white seen)
  • Tipped with mesh?
    White variant occurs together for Vocoder and Aerators, never 1 of each color

Ā 

Somewhere in there, the "cheek" shape will have to be addressed as well as the greater slope to the front of the helmet (as caused by the Clone-esque "cheeks.")

And to continue, the next section is all pretty easy as it's exactly he same as the TK, but I'm posting it anyways to ensure we cover all the pieces equally.

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Neck Seal
  • Identical to TK
  • Black
  • Horizontal ribs
  • Fitted to wearer
    Ā 
  • Shoulder Straps
  • Identical to TK
  • Fully affixed in front
  • May free float in back
    Ā 
  • Shoulder Bells
  • Identical to TK (but not RotJ variant)
  • Effectively symmetrical
  • Raised rib down center of shoulder
    Ā 
  • Biceps
  • Identical to TK
  • Fully closed

To round off the arm armor:

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Forearms
  • In progress
  • Back edge continues out into block shape around elbows
  • Detailing?
    exact shape changes from picture to picture. My vote would be to go with the GG general shape with the TK "train-track" (for lack of a better word) pattern along the edge where it comes to a blocky point. As this edge is not visible from the current GG pictures, it may already have that detailing anyways.
    Ā 
  • Hand Plates
  • In progress
  • Closest to ESB version TK?
  • Clamshell shape?
  • Corners sanded in?
    literally every single picture of the hand plates looks different. The GG statue has hand plates fairly similar to a simplified ANH version ones or even TC ones. On the other hand, images from the comics at one point show clearly ESB version ones and then also what appears to be ANH with smoother corners. So yeah, this section could use some work...
    Ā 
  • Gloves
  • Identical to TK
  • Black
  • Leather, rubber, nomex, or similar material
    woo! something that's easy!

Edited by Dionaly

And now we move on to the body

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Chest Plate
  • In progress
  • Overlaps Abdomen Plate
  • Center cleft extends almost to top of plate
    the "pecs" on the chest plate are much closer to Clones, but with the depth of a TK along the bottom (approx 1.5 inches for male variant, 2.5-3 for female variant--in order to make room for a female chest). The combination of both definition and depth really sets this chest plate apart from others.
  • Should be fitted to wearer
    biggest example of this is that the sides under the arm-holes should taper inward rather than be straight as in a TK
  • Curved bottom line
    curve appears more dramatic on female build, but this might just be an effect of the armor having to be more fitted to a female wearer.
    Ā 
  • Back Plate
  • In progress
  • Box protrudes from back plate with gradual sloping from the box to the edges of back plate on top and sides
  • Bottom similar to TC but with the bottom curve cut out to show more of the kidney plate
  • (Male variant is same shape as TC)
    This is kind of hard to explain with words. In the Legacy build like all the other Troopers, there is a back box. What makes the Legacy armor different is that on the top and sides of the back plate, the sloping from the box to the main armor ends pretty much at the edges of the armor. The bottom is similar to the Clone build as there is a slope of about 2-3 inches that reaches the main part of the back armor. The remainder of the space is a relatively flat piece that lines up with the kidney plate. (Though the Legacy armor does have a curve to the bottom line rather than a straight line) This is true for the male variant only. For the female/Jes Gistang variant, the back plate ends almost exactly where the bottom slope from the back box does. There is only a little lip of flat material along the bottom. This makes her curve along the bottom of the back plate very dramatic and noticeably higher than the chest plate's bottom curve
  • Appears to overlap kidney plate
  • Box must contain geometric pattern
    I have sketches of every major variation seen in the comic for reference. We'll need to decide on a single pattern
  • Bottom curve is higher in back than in front
    As I mentioned above, for male variant this is slight, for female variant this is very noticeable.
    Ā 
  • Under Suit
  • Identical to TK
  • Black
  • Non-textured material
  • No visible zippers or logos
  • (MenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s uniforms sometimes shown with Vader style ribbing)

Lower torso now...

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Abdomen Plate
  • In progress
  • 3 pairs of lines divide plate into 7 segments
    We'll need to decide if these are indentions, raised lines, etc.
  • center segment contains a small box on top and a longer box on the bottom
  • next pair of segments contains rows of small buttons/holes
  • lined up along inner most pair of lines
  • starts at top of long box?
  • Next pair of segments contains 2 large buttons on left side
  • Final pair of segments contains 2 small squares on left side
  • Cod piece is triangular
  • (Bottom nub sometimes seen on male variant similar to TK)
  • Raised line down center front
  • Diamond shaped raised detailing the bottom corner
  • (Strap connecting cod piece to butt plate seen in some male versions)
  • Fitted to wearer
    that means its not a straight piece but rather curves inward slightly at the sides. For the female version, its easiest to think of it fitting like an underbust corset: nearly straight front, very curve sides.
    Ā 
  • Kidney Plate
  • In progress
  • Similar to TK?
  • Female version is much taller to account for cut out of back plate
  • Overlapped by chest plate
  • (male version is much closer to TK)
    The most I've gotten as far as detailing is a pair of lines about 6 inches apart that make a box that ends down on the butt plate, but I'd say we wait until we have better pics of the back of the GG statue to confirm.
    Ā 
  • Butt Plate
  • In progress
  • Rounded
  • (MenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s version is slightly more angular, having a central square with a hexagonal shape curving slightly under the butt and 2 pentagonal shapes slightly curving to the sides--very similar to TC)
    Again, very hard to see any details to this piece other than the possible box shape. But it is very clear that there is a distinction between the male and female shapes.

Now then, torso accessories. Bear with me, I did all the belt measurements in proportions rather than exact measurements as those will probably vary greatly from a petite woman doing this armor versus a tall man. And there's like 5 different versions of the belt to make matters more confusing. The "standard" variation I used was Jes Gistang's belt. Any other version was seen as a variant.

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Belt
  • Approximately 2 to 2.5 inches in height
  • (MenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s can be slightly taller at approximately 2.5 to 3 inches, especially if using drop boxes rather than belt boxes)
  • Rectangular boxes evenly spaced on the the belt
  • 3 to front, 4 to back
    I had fun counting virtually every shot of Jes and this was the most consistent and made the most sense with the placement of the belt boxes and Jes's power packs. I would be open to 4 front/4 back since that is what the GG statue has. That's a decision we'll need to make
  • Boxes are approximately 3/4 belt height wide
  • (If doing the drop box variant, these should be only 1/2 belt height wide, as to make the boxes appear taller and narrower)
  • Approximately 1.5 times belt height tall
  • (Width is roughly consistent with drop box variant)
    As far as belt construction, we'll need to decide if it should be a leather(like)/cloth/rubber strip with a solid plastic bit over it to make all the rectangular bits (like the TK belt), or if the bits should each be attached separately.
    Ā 
  • Belt boxes
  • Placed on either side of the hips, aligned slightly forward of center-side on the belt
  • Approximately twice the height of the belt tall
  • Approximately 1.5 times the height of the belt wide
  • Closure flap:
  • Extends over the top and 1/3 of the way down the front, but does not cover the sides
  • End of flap shaped like a chevron/flattened V-shape
  • Blocky W-shaped detailing along flap edge?
    This is seen in many of the more detailed comic images, and I think its a very nice detail that should be included
  • No drop boxes
  • (Seen on some face character male versions)
  • (Only seen with the taller belt version)
    As far as the drop boxes, I saw them on some of the male Joker Squad members but not on the various other Legacy Troopers running around. As far as which face characters, I'll have that later.
    Ā 
  • Thermal Detonator
  • In progress
  • Attached to Kidney plate
    NOT BELT
  • Located just under an inch above the top of the belt
  • Approximately the height of the detonator below the bottom of the back plate.
  • (MenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s version is located directly below the back plate as the back plate is longer)
  • Grey tube with white end caps and center
  • Box detailing along center top
    Detailing appears to be identical to TK but its not included enough in the artwork for me to know for sure.

Last bit other than face character variations... the legs!

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Thighs
  • In progress
  • Almost identical to movie TC
  • Detailing line down center front
  • Back detailing?
  • Ammo pouches?
    Okay, except for the fact that we don't have a good, detailed shot of the back of the legs to definitively tell if they have the "spoon" detailing like TC (and there are some pictures that would suggest that they do), I'd say that Legacy thighs are identical to movie Clones. There are some shots with TK ammo pouches along the bottom one thigh, but these would actually be impossible to move in with the new knee plate, so I'd say we should not allow TK style ammo pouches.
    Ā 
  • Knee Plates
  • In progress
  • Hexagonal in shape
  • Built in straps OR canvas/etc. straps?
  • Attached to thigh armor OR strapped around knee?
    I'd be up for saying that for basic approval, the knee armor could come from Clone kit (as there are some shots of the armor that appears to have that central raised bit), for higher approval should be custom made and attached via straps to the thights.
    Ā 
  • Lower Legs
  • In progress
  • Almost identical to movie TC
  • Back detailing?
  • Front detailing:
  • Detailing lines at top to create V shape
  • Single line continues from bottom of V to bottom of piece
  • Slight point front bottom edge
  • Bottom edge
  • Side edges both have slight upward curve
  • Top edge
  • Side edges slope downward
    Again, excluding the fact that we don't have a good pic of the GG's back I'd say lower legs could come straight from a movie Clone kit.
    Ā 
  • Boots
  • In progress
  • Similar to Clone
  • Split treads
    We've got a nice build coming together for the boots. I'd be up for saying boots could be straight Clone for basic approval, custom boots for higher level.

And finally, face character variations for each member of the Joker Squad.

Ā 

• Ā 
  • Jes Gistang
  • Hair
  • Red/Auburn
  • Style 1:
  • Gelled or braided/cornrowed back
  • Must end at neck seal
  • If there is excess length to the hair it can either be gathered small bun at base of neck or hidden inside the neck seal
  • Style 2?:
  • Chin length bob with bangs
    Only seen in the GG statue's second head?
  • Eyes
  • Blue
  • Weapon
  • BB-23 Heavy Blaster Canon
  • Armor Variants
  • Gun power pack(s)
  • White
  • Slightly curved
  • Optional for basic approval?
    She's only seen with them in battle as they are highly explosive.
    Ā 
  • Anson Trask
  • Hair
  • Dark brown
  • Style:
  • High and tight with at least an inch of length at the top but little to no hair on the sides
  • Eyes
  • Blue
  • Armor Variants
  • Armor should be Ć¢ā‚¬Å“shinyĆ¢ā‚¬
    Ā 
  • Vax Potorr
  • Hair
  • Bald
  • Eyes
  • Black/unknown
    Ā 
  • Hondo Karr
  • Hair
  • Blonde/light brown
  • Style 1:
  • High and tight with no more than an inch of length at top and moderate length on the sides
  • Seen only while in a dress uniform not armor
  • Style 2:
  • Shaggy, shoulder length
  • Eyes
  • Blue
  • Appearance
  • Scar running down left cheek
  • Weapon
  • Vibro-knife
  • Armor variants
  • Armor is fully weathered/dirty
    Ā 
  • Ran Harkas
  • Hair
  • Medium to reddish brown
  • Well trimmed, approximately 1 inch of length all around
  • Beard, mustache and side burns
  • Eyes
  • Blue
  • Armor Variants
  • Yellow stripes down all arm armor
  • Armor is fully weathered
  • Usually seen with belt boxes not drop boxes
    The other male Joker Squad members usually are seen with drop boxes.

Ā 

These are all of the Joker Squad members. There could possibly be other face characters from other squads that might have different variations.

Ā 

And there you go. That is all of my notes on the Legacy Armor. Let the discussion begin!

Edited by Dionaly

Interesting stuff going on here!

Ā 

It seems like Joker Squad / Jes Gestang certainly has enough reference to be viable, and I love love love the idea of a Legacy Stormtrooper suit being made!

Ā 

For 501sty approval, the thing we'll want is that the costume be consistent with some sort of reference to back it. It seems like there should be plenty of that out there. This all looks like it's off to a great start!

What a " pitty" ;D

Ā 

There are other good sculpters in the Legion...and they do helmets too...

There are other good sculpters in the Legion...and they do helmets too...

Indeed they are! Just thought it was nice to ask one of them who is a member here posting in the same thread. My previous post might sound a little odd, but was very light hearted. I've seen pictures of his work and it's great stuff so I'm not sad that he's busy doing what he does best. :)