Jes Gistang - research thread

Here's the ref pic I was talking about

201104143.jpg

You've got a clear example of the male build and the female build as far as the back plate. Also note that the geometric pattern on the box is different. It's more complex than the O II pattern.

And now that my thesis is finally done except for formatting, I am going to sleep. (aka I hate college)

FYI I updated the first thread. Seeing WIP mold pix is what really is pushing it over the edge to me.

Liz - did you want to take a crack in writing up the requirements in the format that you see here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/crl-overview/crl-anh-stunt.html

??

Actually if *anyone* wants to contribute feel free to take that on - no need to wait for staff for sure.

dont know how i missed this :blink:

here is a start, ill see what i can dig up for more references

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

That's exactly what I'm basing mine off of. Right now I have a section for each individual armor piece. Some of them are basically "identical to TK" as with the shoulder and upper arm pieces. My primary concern is Jes's armor, but I am including variants seen on other characters in parentheses. For instance, men may or may not have drop boxes rather than belt boxes.

The way I'm deciding how details should be handled is rather influenced on how the EU detachment does it, adapted to fit our circumstances (this is what you get for having a History major write a CRL).

Primary source is the comic as that is the Original Source Material (I'm calling it OSM for brevity's sake).

GG Statue is a secondary source and can be used to confirm unclear or unshown details or clear up something where there is an inconsistency in the OSM.

Action figure is a tertiary source as it differs from the OSM by a lot

If any other sources come floating up, we can fit them into the source list. I'd assume most things would fall under secondary source, unless it was officially released by LFL to be an official representation (rather than another company releasing their artistic interpretation, as with the GG statue).

I will go ahead and post all my current reference photos (dashrazor already posted some awesome shots) so everyone can get a good look at the overall design.

a little upgrade to the e-11 from the legacy era ( but i really like that huge gun)

The ARC-9965 was a significant upgrade over the E-11, and it was designed with accuracy in mind. To achieve the desired result, designers consulted some of the best sharpshooters in the galaxy. The accuracy came at a price, though; the high-energy bolts required more energy and resulted in decreased ammunition capacity

ARC9965.jpg

found the big gun, still going through all my data. the problem is i have 15 gigs of it (just text and pics) :P im trying to track down the Legacy Era Campaign Guide now

Big_gun_Noob.jpg

BB-23 heavy blaster cannon

It was a devastating weapon when used against grouped enemies. It was larger than most standard blasters and could be braced to provide additional support. It provided a large amount of fire, and could wreak havoc on groups of ground personnel that were too close together. Its main drawbacks were its size and copious use of ammunition. Despite the gun's power, it expended a great deal of energy, and required a new power pak after every four shots.

First off, THANK YOU! These are an amazing resource.

now then...

*facepalm*

Ammo pouches on the thigh armor is going to be a fun (*sarcasm*) detail to hammer out. There seems to be no consistency as to whether or not they exist in this build and which leg they should be on. I will say from the standpoint of converting these into real life armor, having both the ammo pouches AND knee plates are NOT going to work, as they will catch on each other and hinder mobility. i'm going to have to spend some time looking into this detail now that those pictures of from the Campaign clearly show them. There might be a way to work it out, but right now, I would recommend putting those as optional at most unless we confirm that this is an essential detail on the majority of source images. I'm worried that it might just be something that the artists left over from the old designs without thinking.

Secondly, that's a really interesting helmet design. Anyone want to be amazing and do a helmet study to compare all the different versions?

If you look at the handplates: sometimes they're ANH,

LegacyEra05-Page12.gif

and others are ESB/ROTJ Style

Trask_napdu.jpg

The helmet seems to be heavily based on Stormtroopers, but the faceplate has a thinner set of eyes and with the indents similar to the ones on clone helmets.

found a good closeup of the details on the helmet back. in issue #5

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 4/27/2011 at 8:38 AM, dashrazor said:

found a good closeup of the details on the helmet back. in issue #5----

Nice!!, the details are sharper than on the Originals and again they take inspiration from clones (while not identical) with the central back indentation

The toughest part of this character's CRL is deciding which elements are going into it. There are different artist renderings of these types of Stormtroopers. Some have thigh ammo strips or rectangular indentations on the forearms while others do not. Shoulder bells vary in shape as well as the squintiness of the helmet's eyes.

Agreeing on one version should be interesting.

Okay. Here's my preliminary sketches for the front torso parts. I'm pretty happy with the chest piece, might work on the bottom curve a bit more.

The ab plate design I sketched is based on the most common pattern seen in the comic and then confirmed using the GG statue. There are 3 pairs of lines dividing the ab plate in "sections." The first is a very thin and shallow indention, the second is a slightly wider and deeper indention, and the third is a thick raised line. A final and fourth set of lines can be seen as the seam connecting the ab and kidney plates.

Within the innermost pair of lines are a pair of boxes, a smaller one to the top and a longer one to the bottom. Just outside the inner pair of lines are a series of small black dots. On the GG statue they only start at the top of the bottom box and go down (5 on each side). On certain pictures from the comic they go the entire length of the piece (still 5 from what I can see). In the next further pair of segments there are a pair of larger white dots on the left side. These can be higher or lower depending on the shot (if they are present at all). In my sketch, I drew them roughly where they appear on the GG statue. Finally there is a pair of boxes (sometimes) shown on the furthest pair of segments, usually only only the left side, but occasionally on both (on a male version in that case). These two boxes are sometimes black and sometimes white. In the case of having them on both sides, they were black and appeared to be indentions or cutouts. Like the 2 dots, they tend to move up or down depending on the shot.

The "cod" piece is fairly straight forward, though we'll have to standardize how exactly it should attach to the ab piece.

post-14768-0-20897500-1303885518_thumb.jpg

post-14768-0-42608500-1303885611_thumb.jpg

With this much research being done, will we be seeing a CRL for male Legacy-era troopers also?

It's quite possible. We're working out the details. I'm writing the Jes Gistang CRL, but I have notes on all the members of the Joker Squad, so those at least are a good possibility. We'll have to see how this process develops.

I'd envision 2 CRL's - one for Joker Squad members (male) and one for Jes Gestang as a face character / female armor.

The small action figures are at best a secondary reference as the men are simple TK', one with paint. This is very different from the comic where as noted it's a hybrid between TK / TC. The larger Jes Gestang actually has a lot of detail and should be considered a good depication of what this is meant to look like esp. noting that comics often have inconstancies / lack detail.

My breakdown is pretty much identical to Liz's, though I think some leeway could be extended to base 501st standards in some areas.

Boots: white ROTJ boots can do for a base, custom boots for "should have".

Legs: these are basic TC legs. There is a connection between the thighs and knees that would be a "should have"

Knees: TC for base, custom for "should have"

Ab plate: custom all the way

Butt plate: TC

Kidney plate: probably TK for base, custom for "should have"

Belt: custom - I just can't see this being done with either the TC or TK belts. Fortunately this should be an easy mold to make.

Forearms: TC for base, custom for "should have".

Biceps/Bells: TK

Handplates: TK

Chest: Custom for Jes/Female, guys "may" be able to use a TK chest. "Should have" is custom all the way.

Back: TC maybe as a base, custom for a should have

Helmet: TK

Liz - the cod piece on TK's is usually the same part as the ab plate, e.g. it's all one piece unlike clones where the cod is distinct from the ab plate.

As far as writing the CRL, do we want to separate it into standard requirements and expert infantrymen/centurion?

Like, for instance, I'd suggest having the large powerpacks on Jes's belt for a higher level of authenticity as she's not seen with them all the time, but they do have an big importance to the character.

And for the boots, I'd actually say that clone boots are rather closer in design than TK boots. It's the elastic bits on the side that don't match up. That's just my opinion though. And I think the boot guy over on the CloneTrooper forums might just be making me a prototype custom boot for this build, which is pretty cool.

I'm going to polish up a few things about my proto-CRL and upload it this weekend. I've got a few more sketches, too.

Hi Liz,

Yes we would as we try to do this with all our CRLs. Create a base standard for the minimum 501st acceptance criteria, then codify the "should haves" that would take the costume to the next level of accuracy. Actually for our CRL's we have a their tier for ultimate accuracy, e.g.

CRL Minimum requirements for 501st acceptance

EIB Standards that are higher than minimum for those who want to take their costume to the next level, but are still achievable with a reasonable amount of time and effort

CENTURION The highest standards we can get for a 501st acceptable costume, paying attention to the smallest detail.

WRT to boots I re-looked through the references and think you're right - clone boots are a closer match.

I tried to upload the word document of my CRL notes, but it wouldn't let me. It's 6 pages, so I'd rather post it as an attachment unless no one minds the super long post. Any idea why I couldn't upload a .doc file as an attachment?

Hi Liz - I can convert it to BB code for you if you need to. By default office attachments are turned off.