HOW to: assembling ATA ABS helmet #1

Just started my ATA build tonight, and have been using this as a guide, amazing post, amazing build! This deserves a sticky in the how-to, if it isn't already!

To attach the brow trim, do you just use a drop of CA glue on each end and the middle? I really don't see any other way to affix this to the helmet. Help here please?

I think my biggest problem which I have noticed now that I took it off is there is way to much space between the cap and the face. I'm going to need to cut my rivets and see about adjusting that.

I had heard about the "bumpy" cap but wasn't prepared until I started trimming the helmet before I fully realized that "bumpy" is not an understatement. It's bumpy, slightly misshapen, off-center, and uneven. How did they ever work with these things in the 70's... It comes together well once it's finished, but it's a daunting task, pandatrooper and other who have done this build for others to copy are artists, this is NOT an easy task, contrary to what they say. You really have to pay attention to the very fine details to get a helmet looking this good. Then again, isn't that the way with anything though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi! I'm quite new to this, but I was just wondering how you went about your lenses for the helmet? I'll soon be starting construction (hopefully this weekend) on my own armour, and am just looking for a few pointers instead of just glueing the lenses on. Thanks a bunch!! (to anyone that can help, really :P)

Ā 

Hi! I'm quite new to this, but I was just wondering how you went about your lenses for the helmet? I'll soon be starting construction (hopefully this weekend) on my own armour, and am just looking for a few pointers instead of just glueing the lenses on. Thanks a bunch!! (to anyone that can help, really :P)

Ā 

For the lens, I cut a notch out for the nose area. The bolts passing through the ears will hold the lens in place. I simply drill alignment holes for them in the lens.

5506859056_7a2ed8479f_z.jpg

5506275687_354f1ced1d_z.jpg

Ā 

The holes at each end of the lens are for the ear screws that hold the ears onto the helmet. They protrude through the lens as well before you attach the nut on the inside.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great tutorial! I received my ATA helmet yesterday. I cant wait to get started on it, but it's the first part of my armor I am building. I've never done this before, and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous! I'm not the best with tools, and I fear I'm going to make a mistake that can't be fixed. Oh well... Wish me luck!

Ā 

You don't happen to build helmets for a reasonable price, do you? ;)

Great tutorial! I received my ATA helmet yesterday. I cant wait to get started on it, but it's the first part of my armor I am building. I've never done this before, and I have to admit I'm a bit nervous! I'm not the best with tools, and I fear I'm going to make a mistake that can't be fixed. Oh well... Wish me luck!

Ā 

You don't happen to build helmets for a reasonable price, do you? ;)

Everyone hates to take the first step and make a cut lol, don't panic there are those out there to guide you on your way. Start a build thread and people will chime in and offer advice, I am sure you will glide through like those who have been in the same boat before you :)

Edited by gmrhodes13

Ā 

Good luck! I just finished trimming and initial assembly of my ATA helmet and I'm thrilled with the result. Test fit, test fit, test fit! Trim a little and test fit some more. When in doubt, leave a little extra plastic. You can trim it off if need be.

Good luck! I just finished trimming and initial assembly of my ATA helmet and I'm thrilled with the result. Test fit, test fit, test fit! Trim a little and test fit some more. When in doubt, leave a little extra plastic. You can trim it off if need be.

Perfect advice, you can take more off but you cant put it back on, just go slow and you will do fine, measure twice cut once :duim:

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2011 at 2:48 AM, pandatrooper said:

I had the distinct pleasure of assembling the first ATA ABS lid. This is just how I do it, it's not the way everyone does it, it might not be screen accurate assembly to 1976 standards, I use unorthodox tools - but who cares! Get over it. Build, troop and enjoy.Ā 

Ā 

The pulls are nice. Plastic is slightly off white, not as beige as AM, very similar to TM

Ā 

This is ATA ABS #1Ā 

Ā 

The face pull is VERY sharp. The sharpest I have seen, and I have built a lot of lids now.

Ā 

Ears

Ā 

Plastic is pulled with a clear sticker coating to prevent scratches / damage. Simply peel this off.

Update: Helmets made after November 2011 may or may not have the clear film.

Ā 

I mark about 1.25" above the eyes, and use a plastic strip to draw a line. I also mark the cap back edge for the ear area (will be covered by the ears)

Ā 

Punch or drill a hole at the intersection to prevent the plastic from tearing

Ā 

Trim off the excess

Ā 

What are your reference points for marking the cap back?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick question Panda (or anyone else checking this thread out)

My head is rather large, 7 3/4. Ā Is it acceptable to slowly trim out the bottom lip so that i don't rub my head as I put it on? Ā I mean a little is ok but i'm forcing it on right now, and i'd rather trim then stretch it out when i put it on. Ā 

Any advice would be great!
Ā 

Are you doing the necessary "twist-on" method? Turning the helmet 90 degrees before putting in on? Ā I have a big noggin' too (7 1/2 - 7 3/4), and my ATA helmet goes on fine without any extra trimming.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at several ATA helmet builds, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere...

Ā 

Once you put the bolts in to hold the pieces together, quite a bit of them stick out inside the helmet. Ā It's said in the tutorial that the bolts sticking through the ears are what hold the lens in place, but don't you now have exposed bolts threatening to pierce your ears / head if you get some force applied from either side of the helmet?

I've been looking at several ATA helmet builds, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere...

Ā 

Once you put the bolts in to hold the pieces together, quite a bit of them stick out inside the helmet. Ā It's said in the tutorial that the bolts sticking through the ears are what hold the lens in place, but don't you now have exposed bolts threatening to pierce your ears / head if you get some force applied from either side of the helmet?

Ā 

Ā 

At that point in the buid you cut the bolts down considerably and put a dab of hot glue on the ends to make them safer. I'm thinking of putting a circle of soft foam over my bolts. Kida like the ear padding in a baseball helmet.

I have one more ear to do and then paint before my ATA helmet is done. But I have to put it on sideways as well to get my head to fit. However, this thread has been critical for my cutting. Has helped alot!