HOW to: assembling ATA ABS helmet #1

I have one more ear to do and then paint before my ATA helmet is done. But I have to put it on sideways as well to get my head to fit. However, this thread has been critical for my cutting. Has helped alot!

I'm pretty sure the sideways turn is normal, at least all my friends in ATA armor have to do that with their buckets.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ATA helmets come with all of the above plus hardware. Foam is not included.

My ATA helmet also came with some hardware I can't find a use for.  Larger bolts, maybe #10, about 3/4" long, with nuts and washers.  Any idea what those are for?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't say it enough, I LOVE it when the ears are so tight !   I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far away from that, a Trooper MIGHT even be able to shoot THROUGH the gap !

Great job,

Dan

• 9 months later...

I know this is old but how can I shape everything on the helmet? For the eyes and such. Not really sure how this is done but I want this to be my next project for awhile. I do plan on joining so. Think I might start the helmet first just to get that out of the way. Thanks for the info =] Like what materials locally can be bought to get the helmet made?

Do you mean trimming the helmet? Most tools can be seen or described in the photos.<br><br>

I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel for the eye holes. The rest is cut with curved Lexan scissors.<br><br>

You should have no problem buying the paints, brushes, tape, rivets, rivet gun etc. Locally.

• 1 month later...

Hey Panda Trooper Im new to all this and I was wondering where I could get that kind of paint or if there is any other paint you would recommend I just ordered the helmet from ATA and am trying to get everything ready for when it comes. If anyone else has any options as well that will be great. 

Thanks

Hey Panda Trooper Im new to all this and I was wondering where I could get that kind of paint or if there is any other paint you would recommend I just ordered the helmet from ATA and am trying to get everything ready for when it comes. If anyone else has any options as well that will be great.

Thanks

I just did a ATA helmet and used the "tk supply list" justjoseph63 posted in the getting started section. For the helmet, you only really need gloss black, gray and French blue. You can pick them up from most hobby/craft stores for under a couple bucks each.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Brenoza said:

Hey! Any tips on masking the areas painted? Have had issues with bleed on other projects and was wondering if there is a more malleable type of masking technique or material out there?

Use automotive masking tape, it is a lot smoother than normal masking tape and adheres better, also paint white first, that way if there is any bleed through it will be the same colour as the helmet and hardly noticeable.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:06 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Use automotive masking tape, it is a lot smoother than normal masking tape and adheres better, also paint white first, that way if there is any bleed through it will be the same colour as the helmet and hardly noticeable.

Thank you very much sir it worked out very good for me btw!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Terry, thanks so much for this build and info! It's really helping me! Question: Does the brow trim attach in anyway to the cap and back edge? Or do you just snug it on there and call it a day? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Maybe a silly question, but did you glue the rubber trim that goes across the forehead?  I had someone build this for me, and it keeps slipping off.  It wasn't glued, and I'm wondering if I should glue it.

I would definitely glue the brow trim down, Ron.  It could stand to be lowered a bit as well.

Reference image

bsnuhuF.jpg            jxu94uF.jpg?1

• 5 months later...
On 3/8/2011 at 2:49 AM, pandatrooper said:

Teeth fully painted with 2 coats

Is there a more in depth tutorial on this method to attach lenses?  I was trying to figure out a way to glue lens in place.   It  looks like you are using posts from the ear fasteners???  Is this in your youtube construction video?