Any guys in their late 50s who wouldn't mind some questions about body and armor from this older guy?

BAZINGA

Hi Bart!  Yep, I am an older guy (pushing 60.. ancient by FISD standards, lol) and would be happy to answer any armor/trooping queries you may have.

• Like 1

Certainly not the wrong crowd if you wish to become a Stormtrooper. We are all the same age once in armour, and at my guess that would be around 7-8 years old :D

Many many legion members are over 50, and in fact the oldest still trooping member I believe has pushed over 80 years old mark.

• Like 4

I’m approaching 40 but have trooped with many people older and younger. Once the helmet is on, the age difference disappears.

I hope you find the answers you’re looking for. Given the common ground that we all have (trooping, Star Wars, raising money for charity etc.), I’ve found that age is not really a divide at troops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bartman said:

Nice.  I was thinking maybe I'm trying to get in with the wrong crowd of younglings here.  Awkward....  I will send you a message tonight.  Thanks.  Bart

not 50’s here yet but almost 40. There is no wrong crowd. From what I’ve experienced it’s all ages, all ethnicities, all various life experiences and none of it matters once you find your common ground.

the world as a whole would do well to put that more into practice instead of looking for the divides. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sly11 said:

We are all the same age once in armour, and at my guess that would be around 7-8 years old :D

:laugh1:  I don't think a truer statement has ever been made.

5 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I’ve found that age is not really a divide at troops. emoji16.png

Until the time comes when I start sporting one of these.  It may be awkward.  :D

zk6Hhvm.png

• Like 3

salutations from a 51 year old ... age IS NOT a factor when wearing your armor, even if you have physical ailments. I've trooped with many older brothers and sisters with ailments and they manage to persevere... Don't let it detour you.

good luck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAD1_TK45001 said:

salutations from a 51 year old ... age IS NOT a factor when wearing your armor, even if you have physical ailments. I've trooped with many older brothers and sisters with ailments and they manage to persevere... Don't let it detour you.

good luck 

Thanks.  To finally decide it took a bit of chatting and today I went and bought a set of black undersuit compression, whatever-the-heck-it-is stuff to see what that felt like,  It was a bit strange.  Tight.  OMG the gut..... OK, good that that goes under the ABS.  Still a bit horrific to think about.  But at the end of it all as scary a this seems (because I'm already thinking of actual trooping which I am not at yet) instead of just dealing with one step at a time I'm in the process of getting armor ordered.  Can't even believe I am saying that.  I read all the stuff here and watch videos and everyone seems to be having just so much fun I can't not do it even with some insecurities and still a mile long list of unknowns to still figure out.   It will be hard to govern myself here with the flow of questions to come from me.  Bart

• Like 3

On 8/26/2022 at 7:31 PM, Sly11 said:

Certainly not the wrong crowd if you wish to become a Stormtrooper. We are all the same age once in armour, and at my guess that would be around 7-8 years old :D

Many many legion members are over 50, and in fact the oldest still trooping member I believe has pushed over 80 years old mark.

I was 13 when I saw ANH.  Maybe for me that is the age it stuck.  Still my favorite of all of them.  I may not be a superfan that some are, but SW is what changed movies forever and it still has the coolest over everything costumes!  Bart

• Like 1

54 checking in here. Trooping will keep you young!

Wait until you feel like you are out in public in just a onesie wearing plastic (cause you are!).

If you have a "gut" - I prefer "winter storage area", choose your armor carefully. While all armor can be made to fit bigger troopers, sometimes its easier to start of in armor meant for bigger troopers (I bought a standard size kit and halfway through the build I switched to a larger kit as I was modifying EVERYTHING).

Looking forward to the build log!

11 minutes ago, LTM said:

54 checking in here. Trooping will keep you young!

Wait until you feel like you are out in public in just a onesie wearing plastic (cause you are!).

If you have a "gut" - I prefer "winter storage area", choose your armor carefully. While all armor can be made to fit bigger troopers, sometimes its easier to start of in armor meant for bigger troopers (I bought a standard size kit and halfway through the build I switched to a larger kit as I was modifying EVERYTHING).

Looking forward to the build log!

Yes, "winter storage area".  Much better.  It's a gut winter storage area, but it falls in the more "dad bod" variety.  Not so so bad, not so so good, but it sounds like the AP armor is going to be well suited for the belly button circumference I have.  This will give me a reason to get out and do some walking to get into  better shape.  I wasn't as motivated a day ago.  I'm going to commission this though.  That's one area I wish I had the skills to do myself, but I am also realistic on my skills.

I hadn't considered that I am going to be walking around in underwear and plastic.  Ok, that is still a bit strange to wrap my brain around.  Good thing no one can recognize me then.  I'm a character at that point, not myself.  I'll remind myself of that.

Bart

• Like 1

Underwear and plastic aside - being a stormtrooper is one of the most freeing experiences of my 44 years. I'm no longer me with the bucket on. I'm someone who kids waive at, cheer for, high five, and sometimes cringe away from.  Getting to walk around for a while in my TK's shoes is one of the most therapeutic and enjoyable things I've ever done.  And don't get me wrong - I have a great life and am happy with who I am as a person. But being a TK is a whole other level. Almost a year with my armor and it's still new and exciting feeling.

Highly recommend AP armor. :jc_doublethumbup:  Great quality regardless of the size of trooper inside.

Glad to have you here Bart.  :salute:

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, Bartman said:

Thanks.  To finally decide it took a bit of chatting and today I went and bought a set of black undersuit compression, whatever-the-heck-it-is stuff to see what that felt like,  It was a bit strange.  Tight.  OMG the gut..... OK, good that that goes under the ABS.  Still a bit horrific to think about.  But at the end of it all as scary a this seems (because I'm already thinking of actual trooping which I am not at yet) instead of just dealing with one step at a time I'm in the process of getting armor ordered.  Can't even believe I am saying that.  I read all the stuff here and watch videos and everyone seems to be having just so much fun I can't not do it even with some insecurities and still a mile long list of unknowns to still figure out.   It will be hard to govern myself here with the flow of questions to come from me.  Bart

remember... there is no such thing as a dumb question, for we have all been there more then once... good luck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAD1_TK45001 said:

remember... there is no such thing as a dumb question, for we have all been there more then once... good luck

Hold my beer.

I'm still in the somewhat shell shocked mode of this.  Can't believe I ordered armor.  Small panic attacks because I ordered armor.l  That sort of thing.  

I've ordered a blaster now and boots.  I'm getting the neck seal arranged so all these little things that can happen are happening  There will be a big gap now until things come in which will be hard.  I've forward looked into 2023 and events that will be happening near me that, fingers crossed, I'll be able to be one of you and involved with them.  That's a bit scary to think about, but also exciting.

I'm still picking through a lot of this board just trying to get more of a feel for the vastness of it all and to not be a total noob at some point.

So yeah, scary, exciting, expensive, crazy all wrapped up into one right now.

Bart

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bartman said:

Hold my beer.

I'm still in the somewhat shell shocked mode of this.  Can't believe I ordered armor.  Small panic attacks because I ordered armor.l  That sort of thing.  

Exciting news, looking forward to seeing some BBB photos in the not too distant future :D 

13 hours ago, Bartman said:

Hold my beer.

I've ordered a blaster now and boots.  I'm getting the neck seal arranged so all these little things that can happen are happening  There will be a big gap now until things come in which will be hard.  I've forward looked into 2023 and events that will be happening near me that, fingers crossed, I'll be able to be one of you and involved with them.  That's a bit scary to think about, but also exciting.

I'm still picking through a lot of this board just trying to get more of a feel for the vastness of it all and to not be a total noob at some point.

So yeah, scary, exciting, expensive, crazy all wrapped up into one right now.

Bart

Wonderful news Bart, soon you will be one of us, and darn proud of it too.

I just found this topic this morning and loving it!

I am a 66-year-old, about 2 1/2 years post intracranial cerebellum hemorrhage, doing OK, just a bit of residual balance issues still going on.

I am about two reviews into my first approval for a TK Stormtrooper outfit I bought from Shepperton Design Studios in the UK.
At this point I have only done one official trooping with the local Bloodfin Garrison as a provisional recruit in process.

This whole experience has been awesome, in the earlier comment that once you are inside the armor, we all look the same.

I look forward to getting my final approval and membership into the 501st Legion Bloodfin Garrison.

Edited by Oldracer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldracer said:

I just found this topic this morning and loving it!

I am a 66-year-old, about 2 1/2 years post intracranial cerebellum hemorrhage, doing OK, just a bit of residual balance issues still going on.

I am about two reviews into my first approval for a TK Stormtrooper outfit I bought from Shepperton Design Studios in the UK.
At this point I have only done one official trooping with the local Bloodfin Garrison as a provisional recruit in process.

This whole experience has been awesome, in the earlier comment that once you are inside the armor, we all look the same.

I look forward to getting my final approval and membership into the 501st Legion Bloodfin Garrison.

Cool!

I checked out your picture and you seem to be missing that dad bod that I'm trying to rock here!  lol.  Maybe more guys are hiding that then it appears.  It's one of my concerns to be sure, but in about three months I will see how that all pans out.

Bart

• Like 1

body shape matters (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph )when buying a suit solely for which vendor to buy from. the getting started thread area covers that pretty well.

TBH, avoid pre-built kits unless you have to, then send them lots of pictures and measurements and if they don't ask oodles of questions, don't pull the trigger.

AM kits have extra large sides.

Again, TBH, Stormtrooper armours are the best costumes in the legion.  Again, TBH, stormtrooper armours aren't for everyone.  SnowTroopers and Scoys are also cool and better suited for some Dad Bods. 

Too late.  Already have an order in with AP so either it fits or it doesn't I guess.  I won't be building it myself.  Mark didn't seem to think my measurements were a problem and we discussed it at length.  Bart

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bartman said:

Too late.  Already have an order in with AP so either it fits or it doesn't I guess.  I won't be building it myself.  Mark didn't seem to think my measurements were a problem and we discussed it at length.  Bart

Yup, I’m in the same boat; I already have a ANH Stormtrooper Hero kit from SDS (Shepperton Design Studios) and now working through modifications to meet CRL requirements.  It is pretty cool having Andrew Ainsworth’s autograph inside the helmet & chest armor.
I now know I’m a 5’-8”, 162 lb ectomorphic body type; thanks Sylverbard :-)

I ordered a ammo belt piece from TrooperBay. It is a bit of a milky white compared to the very bright white of the SDS parts.

Any experience out here about who’s ABS parts are a brighter white? I need to get a new thigh ammo belt to meet CRL requirements. I’ve been looking at StormtrooperStoreUS & RS Props in the UK as a possible source.

Thanks 

10 hours ago, Bartman said:

50 with an AP kit. When I built the kit I was 200 lbs. The extended sizes are amazing for the Dads with the extra in the middle. You'll be really happy with it.