Hello from South Australia!

HarreH

Hi all,

I’ve been keen on building some TK armour for a long time but have had to put the idea on the back burner due to life stuffs. However now I’m in a position to be able to look at building my first set of armour!

The goal is to get 501st approval and the kit I’m hoping to order a set of the R1TK from 850Armorworks, but in the meantime I’ve been doing my research here. 

I have a few questions with regards to building armour:

-my background with plastics and working with plastics is very limited, I also only have limited skills with power tools as well, do you think that this would be an issue?

-850AW offers their kits either precut or left for you to cut, which one would be better for a beginner? 

While I was in lockdown I purchased a 3D printed TK helmet that I painted up in a sort of cross between a Mimban Trooper and a ANH stunt helmet. I don’t think it would ever be able to be approved for the 501st but I did it more as a proof of concept that I could paint a helmet. Tell me what you think :)

Thanks for reading and hope to learn from you all soon!

-Ryan

AM-JKLVZczdHlT7_1Fj__Iq4oLPtsjj2sAryLqeVAM-JKLU3g7C5AtwOKF2BOQD-2f25IxD3a_CgFp67AM-JKLV4XpwKu3VB5MQaGLY9wa6AUQbCe4096-QOAM-JKLXiLyNsHX3-O78qOnMIwoPrjakXqkJAMMXX

Hello and welcome aboard, nice finish on the helmet, I think you are correct it wouldn't pass for basic approval as is.

Personally I like to purchase armor uncut, sometimes the extra material is needed for sizing and also scraps are good to use for ABS paste.

You don't need a lot of tools, many use snips/scissors to trim and sandpaper to finish, I use a few dremel's (rotary tools) with different tips, I hate changing during trimming. You will need sandpaper, bondo (filler), spray putty, primer and paint as some pieces on a R1 need to be filled and painted.

Take a look through the R1 build threads to get an idea of sizing and construction. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/196-rogue-one-build-threads/

Good luck hope to see a build thread form you soon

• Like 2

Hello and welcome! 

As I'm still a new forum member without basic approval, I just wanted to tell you that these guys are amazing and everybody here will help you to the best of their ability. They take "troopers helping troopers" and then take it above and beyond, so someone will always be able to help you. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb HarreH:

-my background with plastics and working with plastics is very limited, I also only have limited skills with power tools as well, do you think that this would be an issue?

Before starting my armor build I personally had a total of zero experience regarding plastics or power tools and now I've not only got a wonderful set of armor, but also a ton of new skills. Once you get started it's fairly easy to get the hang out of things and I'm sure you'll do fine, especially if you ask around on the forum for tips and tricks! :D

Hope you have a wonderful time on here! 

• Like 5

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to FISD.
As others have said, you'll get all the help you need here. Don't be afraid to ask, and there's no such thing as a silly question.

When asking for help a picture paints a thousand words, so post pics whenever you're able. I find tapatalk really useful for image sharing, and others using sites like imgur. If you get stuck just ask.

Don't worry about not having prior experience working with plastics. I didn't before starting on this, and with all the help you'll get you'll be fine. Just remember to take things slow, and double and triple check measurements before cutting; it's better to cut too little than cut too much. And if you're not sure, just ask (there's a pattern here ).

Have a good look around the forum before getting started. Its a really good idea to look around the advanced tactics section right from the start too; can make things much easier for you if you decide to go for that later on.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress and the pics from your first troop!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Ryan and welcome to FISD.

Your helmet looks fantastic, nice work.

Definitely can recommend untrimmed armour as the extra material gives you something to practice on before making final cuts near mold lines.

As Glen mentioned its also handy to have off cuts as surplus to make additional internal reinforcements like cover strips etc. Also if you ever have to make ABS paste, you have the same colour plastic so it can be very handy indeed.

Good luck on your journey to joining the 501st!

• Like 2