MakeNoiseMan

Mayo's ANH Stunt (AP) build

16 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

You bet.  That is exactly what I did - 16 to 17mm.

16-17?! Unacceptable! I will tell Dan to revise your application Greg!

ps just joking Brendan:)

• Like 2

y7vbysa.jpg

To quote a famous pet detective , "B.E .A. utiful!

28 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Those are Canadian millimeters. Slightly different. B)

1 minute ago, wook1138 said:

Oh...Copy that - crisis averted:salute: (:P

Sorry for the hijack - returning to Imperial business  (to pester someone else)

It’s not the millimeters which are different....it’s just Canadians in general .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheSwede said:

2 hours ago, wook1138 said:

1 hour ago, Bud Spaklur said:

It’s not the millimeters which are different....it’s just Canadians in general emoji6.png.

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1: I love it here.

2 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

y7vbysa.jpg

To quote a famous pet detective , "B.E .A. utiful!

Thanks! I heard a weatherman-turned-deity say that too!! :-)

Update! I got my other forearm finished up.

q4VVLKp.jpg

I had some strips of scrap ABS conveniently left over from trimming, so I used them as inner cover strips. I made sure to first sand the edges and points of contact to promote adhesion. 

dSeLzKL.jpg

R2gIInL.jpg

And now I wait! I may need to buy some more clamps. Twenty doesn't seem like nearly as many as it used to!

Thanks! I heard a weatherman-turned-deity say that too!! :-)

Update! I got my other forearm finished up.

q4VVLKp.jpg&key=21ede324c00d4064895d765006dd882329b6628f800e5b8e7c429c43f6e0c1e7

I had some strips of scrap ABS conveniently left over from trimming, so I used them as inner cover strips. I made sure to first sand the edges and points of contact to promote adhesion. 

dSeLzKL.jpg&key=bf9958b2a3a9d8e830f143262babdb61a88359adf665f73341f1c37206b272dc

R2gIInL.jpg&key=05558baa7636d7d27ffcdb68dc3eea139b02c7bbd8c578e92977a781cc4735c9

And now I wait! I may need to buy some more clamps. Twenty doesn't seem like nearly as many as it used to!

You’re moving quite quickly, young padawan. Do you have rare earth magnets yet? If not, you should consider buying some. It’ll free up some of your clamps and you can keep chugging along. Plus, they can be used in hard-to-reach places that clamps cannot reach.

1 minute ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Can never have enough clamps, painters tape and magnets can also be useful.

In case it hasn't been suggested rough up the areas which glue is being applied with some coarse sandpaper, will help them to adhere.

Keep up the great work

4 minutes ago, Bud Spaklur said:

You’re moving quite quickly, young padawan. Do you have rare earth magnets yet? If not, you should consider buying some. It’ll free up some of your clamps and you can keep chugging along. Plus, they can be used in hard-to-reach places that clamps cannot reach.

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Can never have enough clamps, painters tape and magnets can also be useful.

In case it hasn't been suggested rough up the areas which glue is being applied with some coarse sandpaper, will help them to adhere.

Keep up the great work

Thanks guys! Yes I did buy some magnets, twelve of them. :-) Another thing I may need some more of!

wvjL8hS.jpg

7 hours ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

Thanks guys! Yes I did buy some magnets, twelve of them. :-) Another thing I may need some more of!

In case you didn't see it, this may help: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44619-magnets-101/

10 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

In case you didn't see it, this may help: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44619-magnets-101/

Excellent points in there, thank you!

Today I finished up the TD! The glue dried on the front plate and I put the caps back on. I don't think I'll glue them for now. It seems like a nice spot to store car keys. :D

ZnunzCb.jpg

I added the bends to the clips—much easier than I thought. All it took was a couple of pairs of pliers.

ZofqU4L.jpg

Then I tightened the clips up, also using the pliers. You can see the difference here: 

GOH8TmZ.jpg

And lastly I added the velcro! I didn't have any adhesive white velcro, so I just used a small amount of superglue and held it firm with a popsicle stick. 

pKUJcrh.jpg

mWGd3UX.jpg

K1LFAn2.jpg

And it's finished! That brings me to two completed pieces. We're getting there! 

EgTBkFU.jpg

Next, while the forearms dry, it's on to the biceps.

• Like 1

Nice work. Making great progress. :-)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Question! Following the trim lines on the bicep, one upper end is taller than the other. Should the bicep look symmetrical-ish once it's finished, or should I leave this shape how it is? 

h4h6HqV.jpg

Thanks guys!

Question! Following the trim lines on the bicep, one upper end is taller than the other. Should the bicep look symmetrical-ish once it's finished, or should I leave this shape how it is? 

h4h6HqV.jpg&key=3a74406fbce82c879561d4fba754c5d98fdde855b787356c177e4ffc244e6f0f

Try to line up the lower edge (elbow end). The tops of the originals didn’t line up too great, as below.

021a4fdc20ea464606d2136bfaaf2d90.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, CableGuy said:

Try to line up the lower edge (elbow end). The tops of the originals didn’t line up too great, as below.

021a4fdc20ea464606d2136bfaaf2d90.jpg

Understood! Thanks thanks. :-)

This is what I would suggest, Brendan:

iz55av2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. 

I was away visiting family for the last couple of days, so not much progress since Friday. I did get my biceps trimmed up, though, and started gluing them together using scarp ABS as inner cover strips.

utoXQ5T.jpg

WaBgHof.jpg

9Mvig7y.jpg

I also was able to move on to the next stage of gluing the forearms, which was closing them together on the other side (still with only inner coverstrips).

0kzRtTJ.jpg

siB0EOz.jpg

Once those dried, my forearms looked like this: 

dMv6uZ7.jpg

w8TFbwe.jpg

I tidied up the edges and sanded down the butt joint connection a little, and here are my forearms as they are now:

fkUt08X.jpg

sQQMvAJ.jpg

All ready for pretty cover strips! I measured, scored and snapped them at 16mm (using those special Canadian millimetres :laugh1:)

RAdVOq2.jpg

0i70N7j.jpg

My next question—is it better to round the corners of your cover strips, or leave them straight? Pictures seem to vary and I didn't find a specification one way or the other in the CRL.

i2V0Kaq.jpg

Thanks for your help, everyone! :-D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MakeNoiseMan said:

My next question—is it better to round the corners of your cover strips, or leave them straight? Pictures seem to vary and I didn't find a specification one way or the other in the CRL.

Arms look great! 

I trimmed a little off the corners and sanded them just so they wouldn't catch on things (e.g. undersuit).  Just give them a little 45 degree cut and hit with some sandpaper. 

• Like 1

You'll find them generally three ways -- left straight as you have them in that above photo, slightly rounded corner, and corners cut at slight 45-degree angles.  The 45-degree cut seems to be the most common, but I personally like slightly rounded.  

I posted a question to this effect some time ago, as to whether any particular method was preferred over another and the answer was that it was generally considered personal preference and that all were acceptable.

A.J.

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed that they vary a little.

Here’s a nice reference montage from the RS suit.

b39836235649e480bbb30246a02349f4.jpg

• Like 1

WOO-HOO, Brendan!  EXCELLENT job on both the forearms and biceps! :jc_doublethumbup:  

• Like 1

Did you use the supplied screws for the ears? somehow the head look smaller which are inaccurate, the supplied screws are the correct size

Edited by ABS80