A.J. Hamler

A.J.'s O.F. AM 2.0 Build

1 hour ago, A.J. Hamler said:

Hi, Dave..

I *think* I made those plates 1-1/8" x 2", but I'll check for sure when I go downstairs later this morning.  I know they're 2" long, because I cut them crosswise from 2" webbing, but I'll check the width to be sure.

A.J. I bet if you made a tool that could measure, cut and punch the holes I bet you could sell these to the community, heck I'd probably buy one. This is a fantastic idea  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

AJ, 

Just wanted to again congratulate you on EIB and completing your build. It is fantastic, and awesome to see in person. I am pumped for you, and happy to have been part of your 1st troop this past weekend. 

Now onto Centurion! :duim: :dancing-trooper:

• Like 1

Can't wait to see this build in person in a couple weeks :)

10 minutes ago, Alay said:

Can't wait to see this build in person in a couple weeks :)

Say Whhaaaa? 

12 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Say Whhaaaa? 

Some cross garrison trooping!  He's coming to say hi to us at our Air Museum Expo! :D

• Like 1

Some cross garrison trooping!  He's coming to say hi to us at our Air Museum Expo!

That's so awesome!!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yep, we lived in Connecticut for nearly 20 years -- in the next town over from Sarah, in fact.  Our daughter and grandson Jed (my Young Jedi) still live there and we visit frequently.  I have an upcoming visit that coincides with the CTG "Space Day" event at the New England Air Museum so I asked for permission to fall in with them, and there you go.

Really looking forward to it!

Edited by A.J. Hamler
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, A.J. Hamler said:

Hi, Dave..

I *think* I made those plates 1-1/8" x 2", but I'll check for sure when I go downstairs later this morning.  I know they're 2" long, because I cut them crosswise from 2" webbing, but I'll check the width to be sure.

[A slight pause occurs here.  Well, "slight" if you consider two hours to be "slight"...]

OK, I checked and my webbing plates are indeed 1-1/8" x 2".

Hope this helps.

A.J.

Yes, Thank you very much! Glad I asked cause my visual measurements were way off. Sorry that leads to another series of questions...

Now that you've trooped using those web/straps, would you say the two inch width is plenty in terms of lateral support (restricting the upper and lower pieces from shifting side to side)? Do you suppose making them a bit wider with the snaps slightly further apart might mean more support?

On the converse, many say elastic is the way to go wherever possible due to armor movement flexibility benefits. While I personally want to go with strapping on my back pieces, perhaps wider would be too restrictive? For example, I can take a piece of strapping and shift the upper and lower points I'm clutching ever so slightly getting about 1/8 movement'flexibility out of it.

You could make them wider, but I don't think it would add appreciably, and in fact may restrict movement.  The 2" straps are pretty wide, and give -- for me -- the right amount of lateral movement.  Elastic straps are stretchy lengthwise and not across their width, so the wider the straps the less lateral movement.

As to using 2" webbing or 2" elastic.... ah, that's a debate that's been going on here for a long time.  Many people swear by elastic and nothing else, while just as many seem to swear by webbing and nothing else.  For me, I did a mix.  I originally did all elastic, but found that the middle of the Butt Plate tended to push out too far with all elastic.  So, I replaced the center strap with webbing, while leaving the two outer straps elastic and it works much better.  For reference, here's my strapping scheme:

TK%20240%20lo-res_1.jpg

You can see the three straps joining the Kidney and Butt Plates -- the center one is webbing, the two outer ones elastic.  Those two outer elastic ones aren't the originals, btw.  I found that my first ones were a bit too stretchy, so I made some new ones just a skosh shorter to hold those areas under a bit tighter tension.  Still plenty of give when needed, but the Butt isn't floating around all over the place now.  (I absolutely HATE when my Butt floats around.  It's so undignified.)

Hope this helps.

A.J.

Gotcha, My butt plate flares a bit on the outer edges too so I'll likely hot water bath it a bit and consider the elastic route there as well to pull it in if needed.

Thanks again!