Shin enclosures with rubber and magnets

Hi Y'all, Thought I'd share my experience with those frustrating shins and what I came up with to make them easier to get in and out of. I'd like to disclose that I have only really studied UKSWRATH's Anovos TK Build Guide and Russellr2d2's ATA Armor Build so it is very possible someone else has been doing the same thing all along but my buddy said he'd never seen it and encouraged me to post it. If it is old news, sorry to waste your time.

My shins are an extension of Russell's slot idea http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29569-ata-armor-build-my-first-tk/page-8 (or whoever came up with it before him, that's where i saw it). I tried it like his with the channel down the middle and the velcro tabs at the top and bottom keeping it together but my shins were tight and i could never get my fingers in there easily enough to secure or unsecure the velcro. A great idea but an exercise in frustration for me. I thought it might be easier to swap out the velcro tabs for magnet tabs.

I bought some thin earth magnets and designed and printed 3d straps using ninjaflex (rubber) on my 3d printer. I also made rubber keepers for the non-strap side which I glued onto the inner shins where the fuzzy velcro was. The hardest part was finding a glue that would hold the magnets to the rubber and i ended up having the most success with G-Lock BLU-GLU archery fletching cement. I tried several different attachment points as you can see my messy insides but the final setup seems to work pretty well.

For the inside of the channel, I used an extra wide strip to make it stronger and easier to line up the cover strip. I guess the rest is self-explanatory. Here are some pics and a video of the enclosure in action.

closed.jpgopen.jpgout.jpginsideopen.jpginside.jpg

• Like 4

The slot (Sandwich) tab in slot idea is great but, what about having something like a tab click in place in the slot area? Then you can push the tab at the top and bottom of the shin to release. I don't know what to relate it to but i'm sure someone knows what i'm trying to explain :laugh1:  This is a great idea but the magnets could be a little difficult to maneuver inside a tight shin. Just an idea!!! 

Interesting.  I'll have to look into whether my printer can handle ninjaflex or not... I haven't really done anything beyond PLA so far.

ninjaflex is an exercise in frustration for sure

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  I'll have to look into whether my printer can handle ninjaflex or not... I haven't really done anything beyond PLA so far.

https://ninjatek.com/products/filaments/ninjaflex/

Looks like you should be okay depending on the extruder/hotend.  You need a pretty enclosed path through the extruder to stop it bending all over the place.  It would probably work on mine but  don't know what the simple extruder is like.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

so far so good. one magnet came unglued once but otherwise they work as i had hoped. once they are on they stay connected and removal is easy. i am happy with them and would never go back to velcro or hooks.

• 3 years later...