Another way to Cuttin' the Cod!

No, im not talkin about fileting a fish!.... :D

I know this is basically a straight forward thing, but from what i hear and see, there are sometimes problems that arrise while wearing your armor with a cut cod. We mostly agree its easier to make "pitstops" if the cod is cut, plus it makes it easier to sit down. But ive noticed people mentioning these few things.

1) sometimes the cod will pop out from under the belt, 2) Sometimes the cod can get pulled too far back and make it angled and contribute to the cod popping out from under the belt, and 3) To resolve the forementioned problem some will push the belt down to better cover the cut and end up with tiny trooper crotch. :mellow:

So i decided to do it a little differently. I havent trooped in it yet, so i cant give any field experience reviews yet, but so far it seems it will remedy most of the forementioned problems.

I decided i wanted the cut higher up but didnt want to cut the sides of the ab plate to make a straight cut from one end to the other, so i cut it in a diamond shape, like when you see a drawing of a diamond for a jewelry shop or the likes. So it looks like this:

8ONbCaJ.jpg

I also cut 3 "tabs" out of the ABS i have left over from replacing the belt with a canvas one.

These 3 tabs i then riveted onto the ab plate at either end of the cut, and in the center. I figured this is a stress point and cannot be seen with the belt on, so i used rivets. It looks like this:

D0pLLdu.jpg

Then i used painters tape and taped the cod back into place. Putting the tape on the outside of the cod. I then flipped it over and glued 2 strips of elastic to hold the cod in place. I used TK 6044's idea of gluing the elastic to the plastic side of industrial stregth velcro that i pre applied to the armor, so it could be removed if need be. I used the plastic welder, but then reinforced it after it cured, with some hot glue. I know its a little messy, but its not going to be seen. It could be done neater im sure lol. So it looks like this:

pM1e43M.jpg

Here it is from the front:

cNL66md.jpg

bsd8Ccx.jpg

Now if everything works as planned, it seems i shouldn't have any of the forementioned problems.

:D

• Like 1

I intially cut my cod all the way across (wow does that sound weird to say), but I had the problems you listed. I've had to trim the edges, so it looks like a really messy version similar to yours. The diamond cut idea is a really good one. Seems to me like it would work out really well.

Guest TK-2416

That's looking very good!! - Was thinking about doing the cut last weekend.. happy I didn't - Will copy your solution! Thanks for sharing! :salute:

haha well thanks everyone for the kind words!

laspector, 2 yrs ago i was trying to figure out how to get armor lol :lol:

DoubleDee...i was going to plastic weld it, but i figured it was kind of a pressure point if you sit down, and i didnt want the tabs snapping off if i needed to sit, so since its all under the belt, i went with rivets!

Well i armored up just to see how it works out, and it works great. i just have to slide my belt up, unsnap the crotch strap and then i can flip the cod up. Of course i still need to remove my bucket and gloves cuz i cant see a thing in that helmet lol...but it works well without the cod popping out from under the belt, or getting tiny trooper crotch syndrome :D

Would you mind modeling it so we could see it in action?

i hope you dont want to see me use the bathroom! :lol::lol:

But seriously,sure i can do that, possibly later tonight, or sometime during the week. i just hope the pics look ok in "house lighting" :rolleyes:

billhag: hahaha thanks...hm maybe lol

its a good thing you posted this... this is the next step i need to do to get my armor up and running... thanks for the idea...

"tiny trooper crotch syndrome" ... thats funny.... i have seen that and really didnt think much of it until you brought it up...

I used to think the ab plate was always just once piece since that's how TE2 & AP kits come. But I saw this posted on MEPD, and you can clearly see that regardless of how the molds were made and what the stunt performers did, the Hero suits sure had cut the cod.

csnsvcW.jpg

It's also a great shot of showing Luke's cut chest piece. Notice how all the ab plate buttons are showing.

EDIT: photo courtesy of TrooperMaster

• Like 1

Ok i Armored up before to give it a test, i really couldnt figure out how to get a pic of it in "action"..lol.

But i used the 'ol camode, and didnt have any trouble with the mod working as it should. Had a lil trouble grabbing the elastic strap dngling from the butt plate to re-attach it, but i did it, and all in all i think this works sweet. Because it is kinda a paint to make a pit stop im gonna try to avoid it, but if need be, i know i can without removing my upper armor. :)

My first troop is this weekend at a semi-small con, so ill have a "field report" after that.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words on the mod. I was told by someone in my garrison that someone at the rose parade had his cod cut this way, so i may not be the first to do this, which i kinda didnt think i was, but im glad i was the one who shared it with all of you so that some of you can get use of it!

as i did't quite have the nerve or the needed skill to atempt the "normal" cod mod i though i give this one a go so heres my results.

step 1 : i masked of the area i wanted to cut S3ib4Dc.jpg

and then cut with a craft knife and a metal ruler to scaore a gide line and ended up with these 

Step 2 : i made 2 tabs from some spare abs and glued into recomend place CNdtCIy.jpg

step 3 : made a cuppa t while waiting for glue to go off :)

Step 4: with some black elastic and our friend mr velcro added the two lengths to the bak of the ad plate and cod piece qoFA9Gu.jpg

I may go back and rivet the "tabs" for xtra strengh but every time i get the dremel it ends up in some part of my body :o;)

Daetrin said:

I used to think the ab plate was always just once piece since that's how TE2 & AP kits come. But I saw this posted on MEPD, and you can clearly see that regardless of how the molds were made and what the stunt performers did, the Hero suits sure had cut the cod.

It's also a great shot of showing Luke's cut chest piece. Notice how all the ab plate buttons are showing.

EDIT: photo courtesy of TrooperMaster

isnt that the ridge that on the ab plates in the first place? doesnt look cut to me

someone take a pic of the ANH ab plate without thier belt in the way ;)

Man... this looks like a great solution to all the problems you mentioned.

Let me know how it goes, and I may end up following suit!

• 3 weeks later...

Mod fieldtested and approved! :duim:

This weekend at the big apple comi-con, i field tested this mod, and it held up perfect, and you cant even tell the cod is cut in any of the pics. Not over-pulled crotch or tiny trooper crotch syndrome to speak of! woo!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...