Any Venders thinking about making the new EP VII TK?

I don't think we in the Legion will have any problem with continuing as we are in regards to armor and prop makers.

I also do not think that ANOVOS will try to smack down the armor makers for the legion either.

ANOVOS is grown from within the Legion and they know how it works. Also I do not see the legion armorers really hurting the ANOVOS reputation or how much money they make. There is enough money and suits to go around to keep everyone in business. What ANOVOS will have that all other makers do not is they have a cast from original, licensed suit. This can not be trumped by any legion maker, unless they get their hands on a film suit and cast this. Someone might have a problem with this, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

The legion in General supplies Disney and LFL with troopers for their high profile events when they need a quality of trooper they know we can provide. I don't think they will crap in their own backyard just to spite us. The legion and Disney/LFL have a nice symbiotic relationship and I expect this will continue.

Everyone will keep on, keepin' on and everyone will continue to be happy.

• Like 2

Article III: Representation

The 501st Legion recognizes that the members of the Legion have no claim to the copyright and intellectual property of Lucasfilm Ltd. (LFL) except by the privileges authorized to the organization by LFL. Members acknowledge and accept that they, by authorization, portray the characters of STAR WARS when in costume and acting on behalf of the Legion. While representing the Legion, members agree to do so courteously, professionally, and responsibly at all times.

Article IX: Merchandise and Branding

1. The 501st Legion is a club based on a copyrighted property and is not authorized to profit from the sales of merchandise bearing images or ideas from the STAR WARS property.
  2. Merchandise or materials created to promote or advertise the 501st Legion (referred to herein as "merchandise") will be sold only to members of the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion and at cost. Merchandise is not to be sold to the general public unless authorized and be approved by Legion Command and Lucasfilm Ltd. All merchandise must meet Legion guidelines and approved by the Legion prior to production. Merchandise not abiding by these guidelines will be considered unauthorized and its sale shall be forbidden to members of the 501st Legion. Producing or distributing unauthorized merchandise may be subject to disciplinary action by the Legion.
  3. Any items bearing the words "501st Legion", "Fighting 501st", "Vader's Fist", the 501st Logo, URLs, or those of any sub-units of the Legion, or any other term or image that can be reasonably identified with the Legion or its sub-units are considered representative of the 501st Legion. Proposals for such items are to be reviewed by the office of the Legion Merchandising and Branding Officer, and approval must be granted by the LMBO prior to production.
  4. The Legion does not endorse or manage the creation or sale of props, costumes, or costume parts or materials by anyone for sale to others. The Legion will not intervene in private sales or transactions of non-Legion merchandise or products. Legion rules do not extend to any disputes related to these matters.

The above applies to every IDEA in star wars.  a blaster?  armor?  all ideas.  The use of a scope? idea by roger christian, a contracted employee.

The main problem here is that we have been violating  the above rule in every case.  RS props, TM, AP and every single armor vendor out there surely must make a profit from the items sold.  all it would take is to have disney demand a Profit and Loss statement from a vendor.  if a vendor provides a service and is not incorporated and reporting sales tax and income tax as a business, they are not only guilty of intellectual property law violations. They can be violating state and national laws that govern commerce, income, taxation, sales tax and use tax.

As an example RS props shows a photo of TEN suits of armor on a table.  now look at the situation.  that's over 12,000.00 worth of product.  Now we know that it does not take 1000.00 worth of materials to make armor.  another example,  a helmet is about 75.00 worth of materials cost, with another 20.00 of expenses associcated with it's forming, and tooling.  yet the sale price always includes an apparent profit.

If anyone thinks that LFL granted us license to make and sell products, they need to get a lawyer to advise them.

I present this information as a former vendor. and I did plenty of research.  I was required to get a business license, a sellers permit, pay income tax and sales tax on orders consumed or produced for my state.  as of the release of EP7 my business is closed.

My Vendor business ran at a loss every year for 7 years, and my bank accounts were all separate and I had an accountant and a tax professional

go over all my sales to make sure I never profited in any single year from anything I made.

I at one time was so popular in my sales that I was contacted by legion command asking for my business license and sellers permit numbers.

after examination by a member of the legion who also happens to work for the american IRS, cleared me of any wrongdoing.

I had a customer from china ask me if I could sell a product to them,  After research I found that china has very special rules about companies in the USA being able to sell products to it's citizens.  After said research my company did not meet the requirements, and I advised the customer to look for another vendor.

Another example:  When I used to provide blasters to customers, I did my research and found that some states of the USA do not allow replica guns or even toy guns to be sold.  Another point was brought up when I asked my postal inspector about the laws governing the sales of my products I found that you cannot sell leather based products to SPAIN as they do not allow the IMPORT of leather by a company for sale in spain.  Another point was brought up that any Toy or Replica gun shipped from my state is required to have an clearly defined ORANGE tip, and the tip must be sealed with a clear coat to prevent wear and tear.  It was also mentioned as an aside that you can't send chocolate to SWEDEN as a product.   There are TONS of laws that govern commerce, and it's the individual's responsibility to make sure that they know ALL the law, and abide by it.

Being in the 501st DOES NOT protect you from the laws in your area.

Lucasfilm did not have the ability to engage in investigation.  Disney DOES!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 3

Idk if the legislative intent restricting sales of firearms was to keep electronic or totally non-functional solid resin props out of anyone's hands, but what can ya do? (Answer: Make your own!)

As for OT armor, if it got that far then it'd come down to a judge looking at a line-up of suits or at least a few indicative pieces to see if he/she can tell the difference between licensed and unlicensed, probably in kit form 😟 Itd be tough to tell, thus LFL's rub. I can't imagine why they WONT sue us; it must be that they aren't able to for that and 1000 other reasons (handguards, shoulder bell, etc).

Ep.7 TKs are a different story I think. Ours would have to be inaccurate or more accurate than theirs but we don't know yet

Edited by charlesnarles

Correct, Roy and I have been working on the model for the EP7 Helmet. Well mostly Roy :D

Now with the big reveal out we will have the additional details of the screen used helmets at celebration as well as the new trailer Roy will be putting the finishing touches on it and it will be sent to prototyping.

Be on the lookout for a pre-order setup soon to help fund production and get your helmets at a reduced price. ......... There have been a few EP 7 lids come up for sale on a few forums, but ive been hanging in there for Ddays kit :-) cant wait to see this come to light.

Edited by Trooperman

Idk if the legislative intent restricting sales of firearms was to keep electronic or totally non-functional solid resin props out of anyone's hands, but what can ya do? (Answer: Make your own!)

As for OT armor, if it got that far then it'd come down to a judge looking at a line-up of suits or at least a few indicative pieces to see if he/she can tell the difference between licensed and unlicensed, probably in kit form Itd be tough to tell, thus LFL's rub. I can't imagine why they WONT sue us; it must be that they aren't able to for that and 1000 other reasons (handguards, shoulder bell, etc).

Ep.7 TKs are a different story I think. Ours would have to be inaccurate or more accurate than theirs but we don't know yet

this makes no legal sense?  completely incorrect!

I don't think we in the Legion will have any problem with continuing as we are in regards to armor and prop makers.

I also do not think that ANOVOS will try to smack down the armor makers for the legion either.

ANOVOS is grown from within the Legion and they know how it works. Also I do not see the legion armorers really hurting the ANOVOS reputation or how much money they make. There is enough money and suits to go around to keep everyone in business. What ANOVOS will have that all other makers do not is they have a cast from original, licensed suit. This can not be trumped by any legion maker, unless they get their hands on a film suit and cast this. Someone might have a problem with this, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

The legion in General supplies Disney and LFL with troopers for their high profile events when they need a quality of trooper they know we can provide. I don't think they will crap in their own backyard just to spite us. The legion and Disney/LFL have a nice symbiotic relationship and I expect this will continue.

Everyone will keep on, keepin' on and everyone will continue to be happy.

I have to agree to Bondservernt.

I also have my doubt about that.

If Anovos has the licence for the Epidose 7 Stuff and as it seems the overall OT stuff as well, i would really doubt they will tolaerate if " Fanboys" will offer there stuff beside them any longer.

Specialy what belongs to the new stuff which will come out in Episode 7.

I hope i'm wrong about this...but...who knows it yet?

May they will offer them to get a licence? Who knows so far it's all speculation.

In the Case of RS props.

That my the only vendor which could be uninvolved in that situation, as UK is a special case what belongs Star Wars licence.

Edited by Turrican

the only reason that test was done in the LFL case ws because AA said the armor he was selling was from the original molds, but in fact

was a slightly modified TE recast.

ANY product sold in the IDEAS of star wars, any kind of thing at all most likely will be considered unlicensed product.

RS props does not have creative artistic ownership of the industrial design that AA did.. so they in fact can be litigated.

don't get me wrong! I have even mentioned before that it would be an easy process for disney to vet and license small time vendors by

simply approving their product by having several samples.  and then by having a reasonable markup which would be added on top

of the fan based vendor.

Did any fan based product sale be allowed at celebration 7?  nope.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

RS props does not have creative artistic ownership of the industrial design that AA did..

The court didn't rule that AA had the ownership, only that suits made for ANH was under "industrial design" which has a shorter copyright lifespan, and has now expired in the UK.

Does anyone else feel like they're kind of forcing our hands here? I mean, the price and the expected roll out date are prohibitive to us being able to troop the new armor for the premier. The only way for us to accomplish this seems to be us making our own. Surely the ANOVOS guys haven't lost touch to such a degree with our wants and our abilities as a community...

Another fantastic idea is to have ANOVOS sub-license vendors in the UK ( TM and RS Props and CFO props for example, )

and sub license vendors in CANADA and other areas of the USA to allow for regional construction, using molds and construction according to anovos.

On 4/20/2015 at 8:25 AM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

was there an RS props booth at celebration?

thanks for the additional data there mathias!  Was wondering how that effects RS Props?

They had , well it seems so if i take a look a there HP.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 4/20/2015 at 11:20 AM, Turrican said:

They had , well it seems so if i take a look a there HP.---------

interesting?  when I looked at the vendor agreement there was clear mention of license.  so that must mean that RS owns one?

I don't see that in the copyright notice on the site?

Edited by gmrhodes13

So much uninformed speculation. Too much negativity.

Plastic.

Spacemen.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankly this made me chuckle a bit... giggle..  I think this thread is a great way for people to know what it's like to be a vendor selling SW stuff.

in the first posts there are international leatherworks people already designing and making prop elements for the fan community.

and the post above eric just so happens to be a double negative!  The goal seems to be to understand how the process will end up with all the armor makers

listed on this website, as we're all so used to just ignoring change... I personally believe that if we're going to move forward into the future, we'll be advising

people on how to wear the EFX brand, the ANOVOS brand and until another licensee arrives, or some form of system is put in place, we certainly will see

some kind of change take place.

I'm not being on the down side at all... in fact it might be better in the long run for us.

So much uninformed speculation. Too much negativity.

Plastic.

Spacemen.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm just eating popcorn reading.  There is a lot of mis-information being bandied about on this thread. ::munch:: ::munch::

• Like 2

I expect that once something is known for definite, in black and white from an official source, then this site will be the place to get the latest news & information.

Until then I am going to think about next years celebration in London, the weekend before 2016 San Diego Comic Con, two places I hope to troop :)

• Like 2

Heck with the tks. How about those flame troopers and mini gun hwt???

Those are the ones I hope someone gets on quick!

Yes, an entirely new generation of new types of troopers!

• Like 1

I don't see any mention of the Artisan FX Props TFA helmet.  When looking at close ups it doesn't have some of the same details as the Anovos helmet, but has the same overall shape as far as I can see.  There is also a guy selling one on ebay right now.  

On 4/20/2015 at 11:20 AM, Turrican said:

They had , well it seems so if i take a look a there HP.-----------

RS did not have a booth at C7. That booth is sales one, a Star wars licensed jewelry company that a friend of mine is part owner in.

Edited by gmrhodes13