The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

On 3/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

The biggest issue right now is the increased price of ABS due to more limited supply and perhaps higher production costs. Some armor makers aren’t even producing due to supply or expense challenges. Up until now perhaps the most well known “budget” kits have come from ATA and MTK (Trooperbay). However, ATA is currently unavailable and Mark with MTK is on a production hold. In Europe I believe DA Props tends to be on the lower price range. When I last checked I believe the MonCal (Far Away Creations) had kits in the US for not a lot more than those aforementioned.

Best thing would be to check out that vetted list that Glen linked to, and reach out to some makers to see what they have available and at what price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edit.  Mark is not the name of the person offering MTK kits.  His name is mike, and he is trooperbay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

What is the highest quality manufacturer of Imperial Stormtrooper armor that is still inexpensive and preferably US based.?

If you look at the list on the first page you will see suppliers with country of origin underneath.

It's not all just about price, it's accuracy as well as longevity, hence why some research has to be carried out. You can also look at the build thread area, most have maker name in the title or their first page of their build. Also any of the EIB or Centurion sections, all built to a higher accuracy level

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If you look at the list on the first page you will see suppliers with country of origin underneath.

It's not all just about price, it's accuracy as well as longevity, hence why some research has to be carried out. You can also look at the build thread area, most have maker name in the title or their first page of their build. Also any of the EIB or Centurion sections, all built to a higher accuracy level

How would I find out how accurate it would be? Also how does 850 armor works compare in price and accuracy to other armors?

15 hours ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

What is the highest quality manufacturer of Imperial Stormtrooper armor that is still inexpensive and preferably US based.?

hGAFHUe.jpeg

This is critical to understand - pick two. If you're looking for quality, it is going to cost you. This is not an inexpensive hobby but by doing thorough research (the slow route), you can help ensure you are happy with your purchase.

First decide what type of Stormtrooper you want to build, as there are several available. The overwhelming majority of our members are A New Hope Stunt style stormtroopers and the most resources and options exist for that kit. Have a look at the makers available in the US, as they are all very very different.

I am personally not a fan of 850 Armor Works quality or accuracy for the Rogue One/New Gen style suits.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

hGAFHUe.jpeg

This is critical to understand - pick two. If you're looking for quality, it is going to cost you. This is not an inexpensive hobby but by doing thorough research (the slow route), you can help ensure you are happy with your purchase.

First decide what type of Stormtrooper you want to build, as there are several available. The overwhelming majority of our members are A New Hope Stunt style stormtroopers and the most resources and options exist for that kit. Have a look at the makers available in the US, as they are all very very different.

I am personally not a fan of 850 Armor Works quality or accuracy for the Rogue One/New Gen style suits.

Honestly I don’t care too much what type of armor it is.

4 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Honestly I don’t care too much what type of armor it is.

Research until you care. The standards of the 501st are such that if you don't care about the costume you are building, it is unlikely you will be successful with approval. There are no shortcuts or easy answers, at least not cheap or fast ones. All of the resources are available to help you on your journey, just depending on what you need. But we can't tell you what you want. 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Research until you care. The standards of the 501st are such that if you don't care about the costume you are building, it is unlikely you will be successful with approval. There are no shortcuts or easy answers, at least not cheap or fast ones. All of the resources are available to help you on your journey, just depending on what you need. But we can't tell you what you want. 

Why do not very many people use ANH hero helmets?

28 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Why do not very many people use ANH hero helmets?

There were only 6 Hero helmets made for production for ANH, with over 20 Stunt helmets being made. In part for that reasons, far fewer manufacturers offer Hero version helmets. Plus, bubble lenses are harder to see out of.

Edited by TheRascalKing

Actually it depends on who makes the lenses.  Mike Appling made some for one of my hero helmets and they worked out great. Also, some folks offer replacement ears so you can take a regular helmet and do the hero option. Note that you would either need to sand and paint t to smooth out the cap and back if you want perfection or leave it bumpy for good enough. 

It has been years since I last shopped for armor but at one point TM Troopermaster was #1 at least for armor and hero helmets, and TE2 for stunt helmets. 

40 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Actually it depends on who makes the lenses.  Mike Appling made some for one of my hero helmets and they worked out great. Also, some folks offer replacement ears so you can take a regular helmet and do the hero option. Note that you would either need to sand and paint t to smooth out the cap and back if you want perfection or leave it bumpy for good enough. 

It has been years since I last shopped for armor but at one point TM Troopermaster was #1 at least for armor and hero helmets, and TE2 for stunt helmets. 

Don't get me wrong, some bubble lenses are just fine to see through. But the curved shape creates distortion that makes them objectively harder to see through than flat stunt lenses.

The difference in the teeth in addition to the ears usually prevents reasonable crossover between Stunt and Hero these days but it can be done.

TM has been accused of recasting CfO's work with evidence and largely fallen from grace in the community of late, in addition to being based out of the UK, and I don't think TE2 is still offered, but several makers have recast it - some with permission and some not.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Yup, all valid points. Hopefully another vendor will offer them, as you guys can tell Hero is my fave look, followed by ESB.  I have a stunt helmet but tbh do not troop in it nearly ever.

5 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

There's something I don't get. According to starwarshelmets.com, this is an ANH stunt helmet:image.jpeg.f1881cf6101a782b5cbd199051c15e59.jpeg

The stormtrooper on the left of this image is also an ANH stunt: RyVR6oy.jpg

Why do these helmets look very different in spite of being from the same movie? Is it just a matter of being from different manufacturers?

59 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Why do these helmets look very different in spite of being from the same movie? Is it just a matter of being from different manufacturers?

The first pic is from the movie, a Sandtrooper,  and the other is a pic of a cosplayer. Unless you get a helmet used in the movie it’s going to look different. And even the helmets made for the film didn’t all look identical. However, by the looks of it the cosplayer helmet is an RS propmasters helmet with means it’s a copy of a screen used helmet  and as close as you’ll get. Why then, does it look different? Well, depending on how it’s put together, and also in what angle the photo is taken is going to change the look of the helmet. It is also, as you say, depending on were you get your helmet from, if someone is sculpting based on photos or have an actual helmet used in the films to make copies from. As an example, I could make a sculpt and sell helmets and say it’s an ANH helmet but it will not look like the ones in the movie 😅

Another ex, from the movie, both are ANH helmets but look very different, the one on the left beeing a Hero helmet and the one on the right is a Stunt helmet.

K0DYMkv.jpeg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

The first pic is from the movie, a Sandtrooper,  and the other is a pic of a cosplayer. Unless you get a helmet used in the movie it’s going to look different. And even the helmets made for the film didn’t all look identical. However, by the looks of it the cosplayer helmet is an RS propmasters helmet with means it’s a copy of a screen used helmet  and as close as you’ll get. Why then, does it look different? Well, depending on how it’s put together, and also in what angle the photo is taken is going to change the look of the helmet. It is also, as you say, depending on were you get your helmet from, if someone is sculpting based on photos or have an actual helmet used in the films to make copies from. As an example, I could make a sculpt and sell helmets and say it’s an ANH helmet but it will not look like the ones in the movie 😅

Another ex, from the movie, both are ANH helmets but look very different, the one on the left beeing a Hero helmet and the one on the right is a Stunt helmet.

K0DYMkv.jpeg

If they used real movie props, would they be able to like, fill the helmet with clay to make the mold or something?

Just now, Awesomest_Dude said:

If they used real movie props, would they be able to like, fill the helmet with clay to make the mold or something?

That is called recasting and frowned upon across the legion.

I mean how do they get the mold in the first place?

Hand sculpt from screen images

Wouldn't using the clay in the helmet and then adding extra details be easier/more accurate?

It's recasting (which is highly frowned upon) plus it would be near impossible to get your hands on an original movie helmet (or armor)

There is a discussion thread on recasting and the differences between "good" and "bad" in another thread.  This conversation is best continued there.

The RS and CFO helmets and suits are cast from production made originals. I am not privy to how exactly but I expect they used silicone moulding techniques. 

So why do everyone else sculpt from scratch?

Well screen used suits are very rare in private hands. Most of what is left is probably in the Lucas Film archives. It’s also incredibly expensive, the last helmet for sale was in the region of $120,000 from memory. The the final nail is these are all at best 40 years old and so will probably be quite fragile by now. So the chances of getting hold is something that some one would allow to be cast is effectively 0 at this point.

12 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

The RS and CFO helmets and suits are cast from production made originals. I am not privy to how exactly but I expect they used silicone moulding techniques. 

So why do everyone else sculpt from scratch?

Well screen used suits are very rare in private hands. Most of what is left is probably in the Lucas Film archives. It’s also incredibly expensive, the last helmet for sale was in the region of $120,000 from memory. The the final nail is these are all at best 40 years old and so will probably be quite fragile by now. So the chances of getting hold is something that some one would allow to be cast is effectively 0 at this point.

When you say silicone molding do you mean like this?

image.png.ea253db749a4675c8cab52a8edfa4b42.png

1 minute ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

When you say silicone molding do you mean like this?

image.png.ea253db749a4675c8cab52a8edfa4b42.png

Correct, but a discussion on recasting is best held in that area, not here where this thread is all about the vetted sellers of armour approved by many garrisons and our detachment.

This thread offers a guide to them and also the who to avoid.