Is there a how-to for harness?

I couldn't find a tutorial (even though I remember seeing relevant posts) on how to set up a harness for upper torso and hands, e.g. where to put snaps, which part is elastic and which is connected with strap? Could someone point me to the right direction...

I just posted this on my build...

So I had an idea...

These are for Hockey Pants

9ACSUSP-big.jpg

Plus some 3M mini hooks?

--------

I had purchased some Jean buttons to use with the suspenders... but now I'm thinking that the hooks might be better? Because with the blue jean buttons... all that force would be pulling on a tack sized area punched through a plastic tab, etc... so I thought perhaps the hooks would be a smarter choice? What do you guys think? Obviously the hooks go upside down, inside the ab/kidney plates. Maybe put a loops of elastic above the hook to keep the suspender from slipping off? huh? huh?? :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 5/25/2010 at 3:52 AM, jawa001 said:

I just posted this on my build...

So I had an idea...

These are for Hockey Pants

9ACSUSP-big.jpg

Plus some 3M mini hooks?

------------

I had purchased some Jean buttons to use with the suspenders... but now I'm thinking that the hooks might be better? Because with the blue jean buttons... all that force would be pulling on a tack sized area punched through a plastic tab, etc... so I thought perhaps the hooks would be a smarter choice? What do you guys think? Obviously the hooks go upside down, inside the ab/kidney plates. Maybe put a loops of elastic above the hook to keep the suspender from slipping off? huh? huh?? :D

Jessie,

The Hockey suspenders are a excellent idea!!!! The 3m plastic hooks I may frown upon. The reason why. I use them during Christmas time to hang up green garland around the house. Sometimes the hooks break. Imagine if the hooks break during a troop?

Joanne frabrics or Michaels sells fastners like this parachute buckle.

http://www.joann.com/

Andy

Hmmm... maybe I could make them out of the same aluminum as my belt clips?

And flush? I could rivet those to a x-large plastic tab to attach? Maybe? Yes?

Edited by jawa001

On 5/25/2010 at 3:29 AM, puro said:

I couldn't find a tutorial (even though I remember seeing relevant posts) on how to set up a harness for upper torso and hands, e.g. where to put snaps, which part is elastic and which is connected with strap? Could someone point me to the right direction...

I took lots of photos on the progress of--------------Maybe it will help?

Jess

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

How do you guys measure or put the snaps on for the shoulders? Do you guys have someone help you measure the distance? Or do you guys go through a lot of test fitting straps. I can't seem to get mine correct.

I tried doing it myself but it's a lot of back and forth in front of the mirror. It's much easier if you have two friends - one to hold the pieces on you and another to make the mark lines.

• 8 months later...
On 6/5/2010 at 2:21 AM, Dmian said:

This is my system:

--------e who recommended me to use elastic. Thanks Paul! :duim: ) Also, elastic is screen accurate.

Thanks for the pictures, it has really helped me out.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

These are my mk2 vest pics on flickr, shoulder bells snap to it and thighs are buckled onto it.

I made a harness similar to this, but chose to use a velcro closure in the front instead of a quick release buckle, as the buckle would clank against the ab plate when walking. Before that, I attached my thighs to a waist belt, like others in this thread have done, but the belt would start gnawing at my love handles after a short while...I found the full harness to work a lot better for me.

• 5 months later...

After the requisite mourning period over the loss of Stukatrooper flickr stream... I spent way too much time the other night reading every post in the assembly forum that had the word "snaps" in it. 13 or so pages worth.

If it wasn't obvious to previously, I officially have the white plastic virus.

I could have saved time if I had found this first. These are great quality photos of exactly how I plan to strap my armor... which is due to arrive September-ish from Rob of RT-MOD.

So thanks to everyone... especially Troopermaster and Dmian for this thread.

The only thing I'm missing for my build (besides armor) are snaps from Tandy. They shipped them parcel post a month ago :(

Aloha nui,

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

3926500505_5f78187d46_o.jpg

3644257648_0d831aac43.jpg3644257650_7fef07424c.jpg

Hey Pablo, this looks like a great way to rig the armor. I have no skills in this crafting and will get my armor some time this year so I am doing all of the research now. The snaps that are attached to the armor, you attach them how?

Edited by columbiamo