Hero killed in Afghanistan

JoeR

A school friend of mine was tragically killed in Afghanistan on the last day of his tour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8338220.stm

"The pain of losing him is overwhelming. I take comfort knowing he saved countless lives with his hard work."

Lt Col Robert Thomson, commanding officer of 2 Rifles Battle Group, said: "Staff Sgt Oz Schmid was simply the bravest and most courageous man I have ever met.

"No matter how difficult or lethal the task which lay in front of us, he was the man who only saw solutions.

"He saved lives in 2 Rifles time after time and for that he will retain a very special place in every heart of every rifleman in our extraordinary battle group."

Lt Col Gareth Bex, commanding officer of the counter IED (improvised explosive devices) task force, said Staff Sgt Schmid had been a "legend".

He added: "Staff Sgt Oz Schmid was a brilliant IEDD operator and a superb soldier. We loved him like a brother. He was a much adored member of our close knit family.

"With his tousled hair and boyish grin his effervescent presence was always good for morale and he had an infectious enthusiasm.

"His courage was not displayed in a fleeting moment of time - he stared death in the face on a daily basis.

"Many soldiers and ordinary Afghans owe their lives to Staff Sgt Schmid's gallant actions and his sacrifice will never be forgotten."

Olaf was a true hero and saved countless lives. God bless our armed forces and the truly heroic work they do.

Send a prayer to his wife and step-son tonight, I know I will.

Joe

Joe,

That is the greatest gift someone can give to their fellow man. Such a sacrafice is always painful, my prayers go out to you and his family. May you find peace in this time of loss!

Im very sorry for your loss. I lost a friend in Afghanistan 2 months ago, a friend who I went to high school with only 3 years ago. Its hard when you dont get to say goodbye, but it helps knowing they went doing what they loved, protecting those they love. They are the ultimate heros.

Best wishes to his family...

The job these guys do is incredible... They are heros and deserve our respect and gratitude.... The freedoms we enjoy and take for granted is due to the hard and dangerous work that our armed forces do, regardless of nationality, culture and colour ....

A salute to all heros who have fallen in the line of battle and those that continue to serve in theatres around the Globe.... these people will not be forgotten......

So sorry to hear this, Joe. There's a price for us all to have 'nice things' and Olaf is the latest of many to pay that price with their lives. R.I.P. All our thoughts are with Olaf's family and friends.

Sorry to hear this Joe. I have friends that serve in the military as well. My thoughts and prayers go to you and your friends family.

Sorry to hear this Joe. I have friends that serve in the military as well. My thoughts and prayers go to you and your friends family.

Thanks for all the kind words. Sad that so many have lost friends in this way.

Joe

I'm very sorry for your loss. I wish I had more comforting words to offer, but realize that words are small compared to the gap that has been created.