Jump to content

Hello from Georgia


Recommended Posts

Hey all,

new to the forum dropping in to say hello. I’ve been kicking the idea around of getting into the fun because I’m about 80% Star Wars fanboy and I love the idea of using it for charity work. 
Going to definitely get a ready to wear build and fit it to myself as I can’t begin to fathom how long it would take me to finish a kit with my schedule.

Appreciate any direction into getting in touch with local people as well.

 

A pleasure,

 

 

JT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi JT, and welcome to FISD, the true home of shiny white armor! Whereabouts are you located? I’m in Nw GA myself, just outside Chattanooga, TN.

What type of TK are you hoping to get? The GA Garrison is very active and a great one to be a part of, and I’m sure can be very helpful supporting you along the way (as will the fine Troopers on here)!

Here’s a resource compilation thread I put together that might be of help to you, even if you’re purchasing a commissioned kit.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Caleb


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 1stdayonthejob said:

Hey all,

new to the forum dropping in to say hello. I’ve been kicking the idea around of getting into the fun because I’m about 80% Star Wars fanboy and I love the idea of using it for charity work. 
Going to definitely get a ready to wear build and fit it to myself as I can’t begin to fathom how long it would take me to finish a kit with my schedule.

Appreciate any direction into getting in touch with local people as well.

 

A pleasure,

 

 

JT

What parts are you from Jonathan? we can get you in touch with your local 501st garrison or squad so you can also get some local help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to the forum

 

You can search for garrisons near you here https://www.501st.com/maps/index.php

 

Research is the key to this hobby, good luck and hope to see a build thread from you soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Jonathan! Feel free to connect with the Georgia Garrison on our forums at https://www.ga501st.com/ or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ga501st. We have a very awesome group full of helpful folks who can get you going in the right direction. If a TK build is what you're aiming for, these WhiteArmor forums are an amazing resource and a lot of us GA folks are pretty active here.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks! Appreciate the welcome

 

Id really love to build a kit as I’m really handy and very OCD but I’d struggle to get one piece trimmed and glued a week right now so it would cause more anxiety than therapy haha

 

ill let the OCD take over on the fitment once I get it I suppose. Definitely want to have the helmet comm and fans so that will give me something to do.

 

it’s nice being older and having disposable income!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the FISD, Jonathan!  Lots of great info. given so far, and know that we are here to assist you every step of the way so never be shy about asking us anything.  I know what you mean about the OCD thing.. believe me. ;)  It took me 3 months to build my first set of armor, but as someone very wise reminded me way back when "It's a marathon, not a sprint".  Purchasing a set of commissioned armor is fine and dandy for many, but often there are little nuances that need to be fixed/adjusted.  We can help, of course.

 

Building your own takes time and patience, but in the end you will have a custom tailored costume that fits you to a tee.  Plus, if there are ever any issues you know how to fix/repair them!

 

Best of luck on your white armor journey!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, Scimitar said:

Welcome Jonathan! Feel free to connect with the Georgia Garrison on our forums at https://www.ga501st.com/  We have a very awesome group full of helpful folks who can get you going in the right direction. If a TK build is what you're aiming for, these WhiteArmor forums are an amazing resource and a lot of us GA folks are pretty active here.

 

Couldn't have said it better, Eric!  I have trooped many times with the fine folks in the GA Garrison (as recently as a few weeks ago) and you won't find a nicer group of people.. (well, except for here at the FISD, of course). :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks again! What got y’all into this?

 

For me I’ve always like the movies and they were always a great way to escape a crappy youth. Now I get to share my love for it with my own family. Halloween is going to be great this year. Daughter wants to be Vader, son a Jedi, and my wife Ashoka. I’ve always had a soft spot for the everyday working man or woman trooper lol

Edited by 1stdayonthejob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome future trooper! I am about 5-10  minutes north of you in Smyrna area, glad to help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Very coo! Have you already submitted to Cricket and the GML team for approval? Waiting on gloves? Do I also see some ridges on the tops of your shoes?

I have not yet, I need to read about that process. I have some gloves I was just letting the elastic bands I glued down on the hand plates dry. Still need to get the helmet more comfortable and some minor final fitting.

the shoes do have top ridges, I struggled hard to find some shoes that were immediately affordable and the funtasma ones were the only ones I could find at an extremely good price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 1stdayonthejob said:

I have not yet, I need to read about that process. I have some gloves I was just letting the elastic bands I glued down on the hand plates dry. Still need to get the helmet more comfortable and some minor final fitting.

the shoes do have top ridges, I struggled hard to find some shoes that were immediately affordable and the funtasma ones were the only ones I could find at an extremely good price. 

Awesome, Jonathan! HERE IS A LINK to a section here on FISD where you can post some pre-approval photos of you in your kit for feedback, if you so choose. You could also reach out to Cricket or the other Georgia GMLs (Garrison Member Liaisons) to ask if they'd be able to clear your boots.

 

Additionally, below is a link to the Georgia Garrison's approval process:

 

https://www.ga501st.com/joinus/

 

Exciting times ahead! :smiley-sw013:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 3:43 PM, 1stdayonthejob said:

the shoes do have top ridges, I struggled hard to find some shoes that were immediately affordable and the funtasma ones were the only ones I could find at an extremely good price. 

 

Getting close to having your 501st TK # soon, Jonathan!  Your GML will determine if the boots are good to go, but fingers are crossed for ya'.  Even if you choose not to aim for higher levels of approval (but we hope you will ;)) I would consider getting a pair of Imperial boots (link here).  At around 90 bucks they are not cheap, but in this case you really do get what you pay for.  They are comfortable, will last a long, long time and are a great company to deal with.  Despite what it says on their website  meets at least L1 clearance requirements  they are approvable all the way to Centurion level!

Note that they make them in "waves".. about once a month.  The current wave ends in 5 days (June 17th), but if you need to hold off they do these waves about once a month.

 

One word of advice is to order a half or full size larger than you normally wear.  Trust me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings Jonathan!  :popcorn:  Looking forward to seeing your pics come in for us on the GML Team to review!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, 1stdayonthejob said:

Thanks again! What got y’all into this?

 

For me I’ve always like the movies and they were always a great way to escape a crappy youth. Now I get to share my love for it with my own family. Halloween is going to be great this year. Daughter wants to be Vader, son a Jedi, and my wife Ashoka. I’ve always had a soft spot for the everyday working man or woman trooper lol

 

I saw ANH over 60 times (seriously) when it first came out in '77.  8 years ago I decided that rather than collecting Stormtrooper action figures, I wanted to BE one, lol.  What a great journey it's been so far!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cricket said:

Greetings Jonathan!  :popcorn:  Looking forward to seeing your pics come in for us on the GML Team to review!  

Soon I hope!

so awesome how much you documented of your process too. Thanks for the reading while I’m down!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...