themaninthesuitcase[Admin] Posted April 26, 2020 Report Share Posted April 26, 2020 So it turns out my wife is a bit of enabler. Around 10 or so days ago she starts asking about why I don't 3D print a costume, to pass the time during lockdown. Maybe a Death Trooper like our friend did or maybe a First Order Stormtrooper..... So I present the next in my semi regular series I like to call: Projects I am starting but may not finish. I know someone who is also printing one and also asked around and also asked a few UKG FOTKs for a bit of advice. I am going to be using these files: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/art/other/star-wars-tlj-storm-trooperhelmet-chest-shoulder-armour-ep8 They aren't perfect, I've already adjusted a 1 file for accuracy and will probably need to adjust more either before or after printing. They also will need adjusting for fit, there's far less flex in this than with the ABS or Jim kits. I have printed 2 Ab sections and stopped to double check my measuring. Once I am happy I'll probably need to start over due the below Another isssue I have found is as I need to scale some things, I have to do multiple items as a group so they all scale from the same point, and will still fit after printing. I am using meshmixer to do this, though I have also bought armoursmith to try help with the sizing. For example if you scale the ab section and the boxes seperately then once you go to fit the boxes to the plate the fit is off and so it won't sit properly. To get started I didn't have a huge amount of filament, so whilst I waited for some more to arrive I printed the knee plates, hand plates, and the helmet beak which used all the filament I had. I ordered some Monoprice PLA+ to try and it seems to be a good choice so far. It's cheap, prints good enough that the mandatory sanding won't be a nightmare and also takes the afore mentioned sanding well. The first "fix" I have done is to improve the accuracy of the hand plate. The "indent" that face forwards was just no good. Rather than try fix it with filler and drills I went back to the provided V1 file where it was missing. I took this into fusion and modified it with a far more accurate version, or at least I hope so. I also, after a EPIC screw up by the main UK video game store, treated my self to a DLP resin 3D printer to chear my self up. Not gotten far with this but have printed some of the helmet detail parts and plan on printing all small details on it as I get to them. There's a bit of a learning curve, as with all new technologies, but I'm starting down the path. There were a few failures: and some sucesses: Looking forwards to getting better with this technology. So on to things I already have: 3D printed SC-44C, TFA version needs finishing. I'm not sure if I'll swap to the TLJ yet as they are rather close from more than a few inches away. 3D printed F-11D Standard by 5th Horseman (also needs finishing) The blasters will be getting some new parts from the resin printer so they look better, also getting the paints I need may need to wait for the world to re-open. I've also ordered the smallest torch I could find and have modified the 2 parts to try and fit it. I'll start a build thread for that at some point. Ordered: Imperial Boots Imperial Boots Gloves - bit nervous of these as I was between sizes and they aren't cheap. But I HAVE lost feeling in my hands due to gloved being too tight which took days to return to normal so I hedged up not down. Lots of work to do yet, and not sure when I'll be ordering things like the gaskets and undersuit/some shiny shorts. I also need to find some more reference images, and dig through some more build threads to check things like fit and position of where things sit etc. Learning curve example: Whilst taking the photos this morning I noticed one hand guard was missing it's bottom layers! I was playing with the settings on the print and clearly pressed the wrong thing. Not a huge issue, I can fix this part with some filler but just shows some of the issues you may run into on a build like this. Worst case I can re-print it's about 3h a hand guard. I also plan on casting these for both fun and to be able have a couple of spares in the case. 3 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.