Rapstertee's AP Build - July 08[*AP]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is looking sweet. I almost regret ordering FX... :-S But I'll make it look nice... :)

Ā 

AP or RT is the next step I think:)

Ā 

Ā 

Ever since I found out that there are more accurate suits than the FX, I regretted buying it :( I will get AP in time though :)

Ā 

Ā 

I haven't had a good look at an FX suit, but despite the 'innacuracies' they sound like a lot less hassle to put together than the AP. I'm still doing the thighs - and they're taking WEEKS to sort out! Grrr!

great job, great thread, great pics. A PVC neck seal? Is that not really hot?

Ā 

To be honest, i've not worn it for extended periods, but I'm sure it will be. I have a cotton one but the pvc (it's fake leather, not rubber or anything) just looks a lot better.

Sat 17th August

Ā 

Ok I had a day to myself today, so i did whatever I could to prepare for my UKG guests tomorrow.

Ā 

SHINS

The problem left shin had this huge indentation at the front, which was making it sit at a weird angle on my leg. So I heated it up a nd pushed it out from the inside. It's not perfect, looks a little bumpy, but the leg is a lot better to wear now.

Added velcro to the rear of the shin plates, so they're effectively done. They might need a little more trimming at the bottom, to prevent the top angle edges digging into my knees.

Ā 

ARMS

Finally got some snaps put together using the Vario Pliers. Quite easy really. Affixed snaps to top of shoulder bells, ab plate and biceps for now.

Added black elastic loops on shoulder bells, to go around biceps.

Ā 

HELMET

Painted bucket interior black, after fitting sponge pads to top, sides and back. Quite a sweet fit now. (Oh, I trimmed a tiny bit from the neck hole - at the front - to allow me to get my head in there without pain).

Ā 

THIGHS

Let me go on record by saying that i HATE these things. It's relatively easy to clamp the 20mm strips, front and back, to the halves, but joining them together is almost impossible. Nothing lines up, varying curves mean that theres a lot of forcing to do, (and I don't mean The Force) and they're only just holding togther. I don't know how others have managed (better glue, i suspect), but i can't get anything to clamp it together at the middle, halfway down the strips.

AARGH! This battle is nearly over but someone at AuthenticProps should REALLY do some work on the thigh moulds as they're awful.

I'll still have to trim the thighs down from the top - I'm estimating nearly 3 inches are going to have to come off.

Ā 

Pics and info on my strap fitting to come, tomorrow evening. :)

Sat 17th August

SHINS

The problem left shin had this huge indentation at the front, which was making it sit at a weird angle on my leg.

Ā 

Terry,

Ā 

It sounds like you have put the shins together wrong. It's a common mistake which nearly all AP owners make when assembling their kits. The AP armour come with a complete right shin with an outer left and an outer right. Most people assmble the right shin and put it on their left shin (as you have) which makes them look and feel awkward.

Ā 

Are the shins marked 'left' and 'right' inside?

Ā 

Just for future reference AP owners.......the indented piece is the INNER RIGHT, not OUTER LEFT ;)

sorry Terry,you should have dropped me a line about your shins mate.as nothing is marked up for us builders and everything is a mess with the AP kit as Paul said its a commen mistake.

Ā 

I just dont know were this hype started about the AP kit being the dogs b,i think we all should take our rose coloured specs off and see it for what it is.(A money making machine)

Ā 

I will update my picture library to state what Paul has pointed out with a diagram of some sort.Look foward to the pictures.

Terry,

Ā 

It sounds like you have put the shins together wrong. It's a common mistake which nearly all AP owners make when assembling their kits. The AP armour come with a complete right shin with an outer left and an outer right. Most people assmble the right shin and put it on their left shin (as you have) which makes them look and feel awkward.

Ā 

Are the shins marked 'left' and 'right' inside?

Ā 

Just for future reference AP owners.......the indented piece is the INNER RIGHT, not OUTER LEFT ;)

Ā 

Oh, you're KIDDING ME!!... Really?

Ā 

Nothing's marked up at all, and I was of the impression all along that there were no actual rights and lefts, just two pairs of identical halves. But you may have a point there.

Ā 

At the end of the day, though, it changes very little - I could pull the shins apart and switch halves, but something tells me one leg will still be wonky.

Ā 

Now that I've pushed the dent out, a little padding inside will make it bearable and wearable, so I think I'm stuck with it now, and have to make the best of a wonky situation.

Ā 

Thanks for the info - had I known, I definitely would've put this in BIG BOLD LETTERS in my build thread.

GAH!

Thanks Pete, I'll consider it. I say 'consider' as both legs are firmly welded together and may never come apart again!

:(

Ā 

This kind of info needs to go out to all troopers with AP kits so they don't make the same mistake as I have. Well - all the ones who are a bit dumb, that is.....

18th August 2008

Had a visit from Leigh and Andrina Lewis from the UKG today. (TK-4128 & TK-4127 respectively.)

Leigh has an FX kit with RT-Mod chest & back, a ROM FX and GF helmet. Looks great too. He also has a Sandy somewhere. Andrina has a TK and a Tie pilot suit.

Ā 

They gave my suit the once-over and tell me its in fine shape.

Also helped me assemble my belt,holster, knee boses and shin plate. Yay! looking good.

They lined up my shoulder straps and advised me on clearance, strapping, snaps and all sorts of tips.

Ā 

Andrina's trying to get an event in early September to be an induction day, during which I'll get my induction. Woo!

Ā 

here are some pics of the progress...

Image005copy.jpg

Image006copy.jpg

Image000copy.jpg

Image001copy.jpg

Image003copy.jpg

Image004copy.jpg

Image002copy.jpg

nice progress Terry - I is very jealous :D

Ā 

I went FX in the end - yes, I am cheap. Doing a MR CE overhaul for a lid.

Might be hitting u up on clearance advice when I come up for it too

Ā 

No problem man - good luck with it. White Milliput for the MR CE seam - can't beat it!

Ā 

And at least you won't be agonising over assembly problems withthe FX!

19th August 08

Ā 

My Caboots arrived today!

The smell isn't as bad as they say, its just a bit weird and fishy. But they're comfortable and shiny.

BTW - Araldite 90second glue stinks far worse than CAboots - my lid pongs of it. Never again.

Ā 

So ...the circle is now complete. Well - my suit is pretty much.

I guess I need a decent voice amp. - My Ā£5 voice changer toy chopped up and extended DID work ok, but it just lacked volume - mounted in the chest, it was barely audible.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What I've done recently:

Ā 

Trimmed tops of thighs - nothing major chopped off yet - i just want to see how they handle first.

Ā 

Painted all visible rivets humbrol enamel white.

Ā 

Stuck square caps over belt rivets.

Ā 

Re-stuck ab buttons (they fell off!)

Ā 

GOT FROWN MESH! - Courtesy of Scott (GHOST) - cheers mate - its perfect. My lid looks killer now!

Re- positioned drop boxes - originally there was half an inch of white elastic showing betwixt belt and box, but Lizzeh, doing her best to drive me cuckoo (and succeeding) pointed out that the drop boxes should really be touching the belt with no elastic showing if poss. Pedant!!

Ā 

er...that's it.

Left to do:

thermal detonator assembly & painting

strapping with webbing.

side rivets

trim and fit legs.

inner padding where needed.

get photographer over!

get pics off to UK Garrison

Prepare for Memorabilia in November! Woo!

Ā 

QUESTION: On that good ole pic of Han solo at the Detention block console, theres a visible popper stud at the top corner of his Ab section - should i add that too?? Hmm..

Ā 

:) Pics tomorrow!

UPDATE: 6th September 08

Ā 

The Event near me wasn't (as far as I'm aware) an induction event. Which was ok by me, as I couldn't make it for a number of reasons: Parental stuff, unfinished/uncleared suit etc.

Ā 

So I'm hoping that Memorabilia in Birmingham UK, will be my Induction event in November.

Ā 

Anyway, I've done the following:

Side elastic straps, inside bucket black paint, under-cod strap thing, thigh trimming/straps/suspender things, and

Ā 

VADER - HOSEN!

Ā 

Or should they be called Laser-Hosen??

Ā 

Anyway, the entire kit is wearable and not too uncomfortable, but I will be sticking some foam in the legs etc for added comfort.

Ā 

All that I need to do is assemble my Thermal Detonator and paint it.

Ā 

Which I hope to do in the next couple of days.....He says, optimistically. I'm a little snowed under with scripts and other creative projects!

Ā 

...and my house pongs of caboots. I'm sure its getting worse!!

Ā 

Photos coming next week.

Ā 

:)

I know the AP esp. the legs are a be-atch but I have to say you should feel extremely proud of this accomplishment! Can't wait to see the Elite submission once you have your TK ID from the UKG. And, pix of the troop :)

Ā 

Walk proud Terry - you're entitled :pint1:

lookin good bro!

Ā 

ya know, Lizzeh was telling me about those induction troops....we dont have those in the ECG, we just start troopin! but i guess the UKG is HUGE and probably easier to keep track of all you new recruits?...eh i dunno, but hey, imsure you'll be troopin in no time!

lookin good bro!

Ā 

ya know, Lizzeh was telling me about those induction troops....we dont have those in the ECG, we just start troopin! but i guess the UKG is HUGE and probably easier to keep track of all you new recruits?...eh i dunno, but hey, imsure you'll be troopin in no time!

Ā 

Cheers Lou, the UKG are looking out for me so I'm sure I'll be up and running (though not literally) soon.

Here are some pics of recent things::

Ā 

My TD Clips - they'll be squeezed a little tighter, to grip the belt more securely.

Image004-7.jpg

Image005-7.jpg

Image006-7.jpg

Ā 

Suit tests:

P9040398.jpg

(The red dotted line is where I'm thinking of trimming the thighs further...)

DSC00841.jpg

Ā 

P9040397.jpg