Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

I saw a short bit of it. He was using a mouse sander to take care of edge sanding. I had considered getting one, but read about how the most common one (Black &amp; Decker, I believe) uses plastic gears, and won't last if used with any pressure.<br>

So, it will be sandpaper and a wood block for me. :)

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

Yes.. it looked really helpful. I meant to ask him what grit he was using. I have heard the same thing about the plastic gears. I am thinking of looking at a good attachment to my dremel.

Alright.. a question came up on another site about comments being made by Family or Friends regarding all the effort and money going into creating/building a stormtrooper Armor / "costume"..

I replied to this question with the below:

I have had many things said to me and even heard them being said behind my back about me building a stormtrooper costume. *** I don't even have it built yet!!! ***

I explained to my family about all the great things the 501st does for charities and that I wanted to be a part of that as well as helping others. That was all my Family needed to start supporting me.

However some friends think I'm throwing money away that I don't have. I don't see it that way. I look at it like I am giving to a charity and I know I will be helping others in many different ways.

How many people can say they do this type of thing to help others and get to have fun at the same time?

I also volunteer at the local dojo to help teach youth Judo. If more people took the time to volunteer and look outside of their own space, outside of themselves, and be a part of something that's helping others, then the world would be a better place. smile emoticon

Do what feels right to you, don't worry about what others think, because it is not their thoughts that truly matter.. it's yours.

My family teased me about it all until I explained all the good things the group does for others. I showed them You-tube videos of the 501st in action, and educated them on it a bit.

Yes I am doing this to be fun for me, because I love star wars, and have always wanted to have TK Armor. I am also doing it because I enjoy bringing smiles to others faces and helping in good causes.

"Waste of money and time... "  A comment I have heard both to my face and behind my back.. thin walls talk.

1) it is none of anyone elses business how you choose to spend your money even when you don't have a lot of it.

2) Someone doing what makes them happy so they can share happiness should be praised not ridiculed.

3) most often hurtful comments are due to jealousy or a desire to have something you have

4) Being a part of the 501st is like giving charity to those in need. You should always feel good about yourself and trooping.

I don't know about others but I am by no means rich. In fact I'm probably considered below Poor. LAUGH. I won't get into my hardship as we all have challenges. I won't go into being a survivor of "stuff in my past" ... not getting into it.. I'm not here for pity or for people to feel sorry for me. I'm not here for it to be all about me..

I am here to do something I love, to have fun, to meet new friends, and to bring a smile to others faces.

Like I said in the quote above.. the only thought that truly matters about what I'm doing here...  is my own.. To all the others.. F.O.C.U.S  (If you don't know what it means.. look it up -> F--- Off Cause U're Stupid)  Laugh.

Have a great day! ♥ :dancing-trooper:

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

BUILD UPDATE

Back to the Build...

What I want to do with my Bucket

Here's my question... PLASTIDIP.. where do you get it.. what is the name of the product in Canada?

I would rather not use Tremclad as I have used it for other projects and know that stuff smells HORRIBLE!

Looking at products at Home depot mostly as it's close to home. Thanks in advance for your help.

Would this work?  - Truck Bed Coating Black -   Laugh.. Look at the description..

Truck Bed Coating is an easy to use spray on coating that provides a durable, abrasion resistant, textured, non-skid finish to truck beds. It reduces road noise and contours to the exact shape of the truck bed area
  • Product protects the surface from impact
  • Durable
  • Brush and aerosol can be used together

It's abrasion resistant, Non-skid, Protects from Impact, and reduces noise!!!

Plus it's durable, and protects the surface from impact.. I wonder if that strengthens the bucket?? Laugh..

Or what about this one - Painter's Touch 2X Flat Black Primer -  that "BONDS" to Plastic??

ULTRA COVER contains breakthrough technology that provides twice the coverage on wood, metal, wicker and more.* It covers surfaces with less spray passes, allowing projects to be completed faster and easier. Any angle spray feature allows you to spray in any direction, even upside down. Comfort spray tip with wider finger pad reduces fatigue caused by continuous spraying. Fast drying.
  • Made with double cover technology
  • Any angle spray feature allows you to spray in any direction
  • Smooth

Or This might work - Leak Seal.. Chuckles

Rust-Oleum LeakSeal is an easy to use flexible rubber sealant that dries to a semi-smooth, firm finish that will not sag or drip, and can be top-coated with latex or oil based paints.
  • Fills seals and cracks instantly
  • Creates a water-tight
  • Great for gutter

Would ensure I never leak during a Troop - Enter laughter about washroom breaks here -

Or am I stuck with Tremclad?

Gah.. I hate having too many choices.. thus Paint is a Pain in the butt because there's a zillion of em!

Edited by Brattie

First of all that sounds like a friend who needs to go f them self. Not only is it not her or his business, it's not their place. This is a time where a finger and a Facebook delete may have been the best option because they don't seem to have your best interest in their opinions.

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more Eric.. but it did bring up something that I think many of us deal with. The original was on Tantive. As for those that comment on my stuff.. I ignore them.. they aren't worth my time. :) They need to be told to FOCUS! ~ GRINS ~

I can't find "plastidip" in Home depot.. is it at crappy tire?

Nevermind.. FOUND IT!

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

yeah.. to cheese or not to cheese too! Too many choices.. I will be scuffing up the inside a little bit to help the stuff adhere when I get my bucket.. I just like the look..

A good point was brought up on the topic of the painting in the buckets about using cheese cloth and how it could interfere with the adherance of the velcro for the padding. I am thinking a good few coats of the stuff and then all will be good as many have mentioned in the above mentioned thread about painting the buckets and using Plastidip.. Laugh.. was that kinda cryptic or what?

Anyway I like the idea..

• Like 1

Yes.. I have learnt so far that:

- Apparently it is easier to give up on the TK build and go sandy (I'm still planning on TK).

- Heat and Buckets do not mix

- Blaster Springs are a Pain in the butt

- Canon pictures are our friend

- Knee areas are a problem

- Someone HATES screened vents (teeth)

- Mark is awesome

- Errors suck

It's a small list so far... Laugh

I was speaking to Mark yesterday and things are progressing well.. so hopefully the timeline is still in place for End of Feb into Mar for my gear!

I'm glad I could teach you something lol

• Like 2

Alright.. a question came up on another site about comments being made by Family or Friends regarding all the effort and money going into creating/building a stormtrooper Armor / "costume"..

My family teased me about it all until I explained all the good things the group does for others. I showed them You-tube videos of the 501st in action, and educated them on it a bit.

Yes I am doing this to be fun for me, because I love star wars, and have always wanted to have TK Armor. I am also doing it because I enjoy bringing smiles to others faces and helping in good causes.

"Waste of money and time... "  A comment I have heard both to my face and behind my back.. thin walls talk.

1) it is none of anyone elses business how you choose to spend your money even when you don't have a lot of it.

2) Someone doing what makes them happy so they can share happiness should be praised not ridiculed.

3) most often hurtful comments are due to jealousy or a desire to have something you have

4) Being a part of the 501st is like giving charity to those in need. You should always feel good about yourself and trooping.

I don't know about others but I am by no means rich. In fact I'm probably considered below Poor. LAUGH. I won't get into my hardship as we all have challenges. I won't go into being a survivor of "stuff in my past" ... not getting into it.. I'm not here for pity or for people to feel sorry for me. I'm not here for it to be all about me..

I am here to do something I love, to have fun, to meet new friends, and to bring a smile to others faces.

Like I said in the quote above.. the only thought that truly matters about what I'm doing here...  is my own.. To all the others.. F.O.C.U.S  (If you don't know what it means.. look it up -> F--- Off Cause U're Stupid)  Laugh.

Have a great day! ♥ :dancing-trooper:

You go grrl

• Like 1

At least you made the list...

- Someone else dislikes black paint in bucket lol

lol you're the one who told me this! Ken Morse from our garrison gave me quite the paddling about the mesh. I may or may not been given the moniker "mesh" because of it, and Danny "MechaPumpkin" Steinberg suggested I just start wearing mesh tanktops lol

• Like 2

"Waste of money and time... " A comment I have heard both to my face and behind my back.. thin walls talk.

Like I said in the quote above.. the only thought that truly matters about what I'm doing here... is my own.. To all the others.. F.O.C.U.S (If you don't know what it means.. look it up -> F--- Off Cause U're Stupid) Laugh.

Have a great day! :dancing-trooper:

Apparently they struck a nerve and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My dear, don't let those judging impose on what matters most YOUR HAPPINESS! You have a hobby like everyone else - they're just jealous they won't be a sexy as us in armor and that more people love you.

Ask them how much they spend on bars and what they have to show for it as you show them the wall pictures from troops and all of your adoring fans.

Always got your six lass, and your admired by your family here too!

• Like 3

lol you're the one who told me this! Ken Morse from our garrison gave me quite the paddling about the mesh. I may or may not been given the moniker "mesh" because of it, and Danny "MechaPumpkin" Steinberg suggested I just start wearing mesh tanktops lol

ComradeMeshDave? Naw I think MeshDave would be better lol

• Like 3

BtW  Ken doesn't like Vent Screens. Just in case you didn't know that. It isn't Canon. The purpose was to better hide that there is a person inside the Armor. If you wear a balaclava and pull it over your nose then it accomplishes the same thing.

The problem with the balaclava idea is that breath = moisture = ewwww against your face. And from what I've heard you are going to be providing loads of moisture as it is under the armor.

When I complete mine, I think I'll velcro it in.. so it can be Kenified if he's around. Laugh.

BUILD UPDATE AND STATUS

Okay.. getting my thread back on track a little here.. LAUGH.. Not saying I don't love the other information n stuff.. so don't stop.. just need to re-focus myself a bit here...

Armor Transport - Complete and takes up the whole back area of my Jeep.

Armor - Update - All going well for meeting expected delivery dates.

Binders - Completed for fun.. meh on the finished product - upset that i can buy some for under twenty bucks!

Pads - Waiting on Pads to arrive for bucket

Choices

- I want to paint the inside of my bucket when it arrives (Plastidip available at Crappy tire)

- I would like an audio system - hearing assist and mic (eventually)

I found out that Oatly - Fix-it-stick is the putty some are using to create mounting posts in their buckets.

I still need to find out what kind of bondo people are using for smoothing out areas.

Calf hooks or Velcro - still haven't figured that one out. I have seen videos of people trooping and having issues with their calves. BLAH. Same with twist but that's easily fixed. Others have mentioned putting in a looping or hook system within the calf armor to hook to the loop on the back of their boots. However TK Boots advises in the instructions not to pull on those loops too much. So unsure on that one.

Build has slowed to a halt almost.. sigh.. Running out of stuff to work on or research. I've read most of the threads about the builds and videos etc.

I have to wait and see when I get my armor in hand when I can sit down and think through exactly how I want the set up. Everyone seems to be adjusting how they are working through things.

The scariest part I would say is that 2 people I have been following through their build that are "Yoda Green" like me at all this gave up on a TK build and went Sandy.. that doesn't promote confidence in my abilities. I just hope I can get this done. 

I have been talking with Clamps off and on as well as a couple others. Really cool people. I look forward to meeting them and such down the road.

To take up some of my time I created a new "emblem" for me.. it's neat.. you can see it in my signature and profile picture (as of Feb 2016 as it may change again).

d87ba55d-ec18-4cdc-9d46-a819ce926eed_zps

I figured the Imperial Cog with a TK bucket and Leaf would be nice - as well as Brattie written in Star Wars type.

I am actually learning to write that text for fun. It helps with taking notes at work as well as no one else can read it. Laugh.

Belt

I have decided to leave the back of the drop boxes so they can be opened. Another Trooper mentioned using sock ends to create a pocket that can be closed with Velcro. I like this idea for being able to easily get to ID and a Debit card for Troops etc.  ID especially.

Edited by Brattie

Calf hooks or Velcro - still haven't figured that one out. I have seen videos of people trooping and having issues with their calves. BLAH. Same with twist but that's easily fixed. Others have mentioned putting in a looping or hook system within the calf armor to hook to the loop on the back of their boots. However TK Boots advises in the instructions not to pull on those loops too much. So unsure on that one.

The scariest part I would say is that 2 people I have been following through their build that are "Yoda Green" like me at all this gave up on a TK build and went Sandy.. that doesn't promote confidence in my abilities. I just hope I can get this done.

To take up some of my time I created a new "emblem" for me.. it's neat.. you can see it in my signature and profile picture (as of Feb 2016 as it may change again).

I have elastic loops through my belt loops to hold my shins in place. Works fine and doesn't really place much stress on the belt loops.

Don't get too down from people changing their builds. Everyone, absolutely everyone, here was "Yoda Green" when building armour for the first time, there is enough help here to get you through it, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Emblem looks cool!

• Like 1

Thanks Scott.. everyone here is truly amazing. People I've met when I was able to get out to Collectors Con were awesome. Just very nervous about it all. It's a lot of money and could cost a lot if I mess it up. Laugh.

That is a really long elastic Loop if it goes through your belt loop!!!

Alrighty.. Having a little fun with learning how to hand write Star warsian if that's a word.. Laugh..

To save space in my bucket I have removed the 2 hand written pictures for one I did quickly in Paint. :)

gng%20crzy_zpswot1psko.png

Alright.. fine I'll translate!!

I AM SLOWLY GOING CRAZY

1,2,3,4,5,6 SWITCH

CRAZY GOING SLOWLY AM I

Watch this for a laugh

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Alrighty.. Having a little fun with learning how to hand write Star warsian if that's a word.. Laugh..

SLWLY_zpsadwriojy.jpg

1,2,3,4,5,6 Switch

SLWLY2_zpso1o88ttb.jpg

6,5,4,3,2,1 Switch. Grins

Unfortunately, the dark side was drying out my pen so it is somewhat scribbled. Laugh.

Alright.. fine I'll translate!!

Slowly I am going Crazy

1,2,3,4,5,6 Switch

Crazy going am I slowly

6,5,4,3,2,1 Switch

Watch this for a laugh

Right then have you practiced doing snaps?

The wait will be over soon enough - revel in the free time while it lasts

• Like 1