Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

well.. okay.. so lets be clear on all this boyz.. I'm a female.. I don't like flying bugs.. so if I'm going to be outside with bees and wasps while Troopin' sometimes... well then screen to keep em out is a bonus!

No one likes bees in their bonnets right?

And I know I must Ken-ify my bucket so the screen can be removed if he's around. :D

I've worn my bucket outside many times... Funny, I've never encountered this problem, but I'm no bee keeper either lol
  • Like 1

noooo.. I'm going to have time to mess with my bucket when it arrives sooooo.. DIP DA DIP DA DIP DIP DIP.. it's gunna look AWESOME.. I still haven't heard from Echo for the Fans though.. sigh.. but I do have Shawn sending me his audio aid system.. which is tres cool. so I have that to do as well.

I put my hand upon my bucket .. when I dip you dip we dip..

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

noooo.. I'm going to have time to mess with my bucket when it arrives sooooo.. DIP DA DIP DA DIP DIP DIP.. it's gunna look AWESOME.. I still haven't heard from Echo for the Fans though.. sigh.. but I do have Shawn sending me his audio aid system.. which is tres cool. so I have that to do as well.

SMH... Idle hands... Lol

• Like 2

Oh.. that brings me to lens mounting. I have heard that using fix-it-stic works well for attaching mounts to the bucket.. but what mounts do people suggest. I'd like to be able to screw the lenses in and out so they could be quickly changed if there was a crack or issue with them.. any thoughts?

Remember that song about holes in buckets?

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 1

Oh.. that brings me to lens mounting. I have heard that using fix-it-stic works well for attaching mounts to the bucket.. but what mounts do people suggest. I'd like to be able to screw the lenses in and out so they could be quickly changed if there was a crack or issue with them.. any thoughts?

Dan also has a stellar method using Velcro

• Like 2

Personally, I use Velcro, as I need to change out my lenses from bubble (can't see worth crap), to flat lenses (yay vision). It also allows air flow... Two pieces of Velcro will hold lenses in place, one at top, and one at bottom, no they won't fal out, and allow for a lot of air flow (may make fans unnecessary, but your meshing up your teeth, so that will restrict airflow)...

• Like 2

oooo.. that's even easier!! Awaiting instructions Sir!!

Edited due to above post because of synchronized posting..

Aye.. then I guess I'll velcro the hell out of it.. or such.. because of the meshing of the frown when I put in the fans anyway to help with Air in the bucket with holes while it's dipped..

Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

oooo.. that's even easier!! Awaiting instructions Sir!!

Edited due to above post because of synchronized posting..

Aye.. then I guess I'll velcro the hell out of it.. or such.. because of the meshing of the frown when I put in the fans anyway to help with Air in the bucket with holes while it's dipped..

On a side note, you may be able to save a bit, with Velcro lenses, and no mesh... You probably won't require fans.. I had my two on hand... Used one once in the years I've been trooping....
  • Like 2

I'd suggest mounting your lenses firmly, especially if you plan to be in the blast-a-trooper booth. The guns shoot hard and I have been hit in the eye. You don't want the lenses coming off and impacting your face or eyes.

If you don't ever see youself in the booth, mount them however you want. ;)

• Like 1

I'd suggest mounting your lenses firmly, especially if you plan to be in the blast-a-trooper booth. The guns shoot hard and I have been hit in the eye. You don't want the lenses coming off and impacting your face or eyes.

If you don't ever see youself in the booth, mount them however you want. ;)

I've been hit in the eye as well, but haven't had this problem... Can secure with more Velcro at insides and outsides of lenses lenses
  • Like 2

I haven't personally had this problem either, but I wanted to make the point that things may be impacting your lenses, so make 'em strong. :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input.. I will have to think about this thoroughly...

While I do that.. I wanted to send a big shout out to Shawn .. I got it!!!

Does a dance...

My AAS -> Shawn%20Audio%20System_zps2nggghrr.jpg

Now standing by for Bucket work..

AND!!

Disney Binders arrived today and WOW they are small in comparison to my Adult ones!!!

Binder_compare_zpsqktuuul1.jpg

Disney on the top.. Brattie's on the bottom!

• Like 1

Alright.. catching up a little bit here as I was busy the past few days..

Side note.. the fund raising dinner we held for our Relay for Life team went well on the weekend. We raised over a thousand extra dollars for this great cause..

Was a blast that didn't get me back in the door until almost 2 AM. Laugh.

I am still waiting for news from ECHO regarding the fan set up. I hope he is alright as not many have heard from him in a while.  I think I'll have to wait for it or figure something out before I complete my AAS set up in my bucket.

There was a suggestion about putting the mics for the AAS into the frown.. but I'm thinking that might be too directional towards the front. Then again, it makes me pause at the thought of putting holes in the ears to place the mics there.. sigh.. too many choices!!!

I know so many are changing their tune on the painted interior of the bucket.

I want the bucket to look like a real helmet and I think the white inside gives the bucket a plastic toy look to it. Like the toys you get that are painted all nice on the outside but then you find that the manufacturer didn't take the time to detail the inside as well... 

It has nothing to do with reflections or people looking up inside it.. it's more for me and what I'd like as long as it doesn't interfere with my acceptance into the 501st. I think new people get really nervous about doing what they think will be cool or interesting as they fear they won't get into the group because of these small items. To start with, it is a lot of money with no absolute guarantee that you will be able to join this great group. That is a lot of pressure on people. Then you add the stress of the build, trying to make the armor fit right, matching movie standards (CRLs / Canon), and lastly your own expectations.

So when I think about if I'd like to paint the inside of my bucket I look at it this way... The only person that is going to see the inside of my bucket on a regular basis is ME. As long as painting the inside of the bucket will not interfere with acceptance into the 501st.. then it's a no brainer. I'm going to put just as much effort into the inside of my bucket as I will on the outside. 

When I look at my helmet / bucket  .. I want to be proud of it... I don't want to feel like when I was younger. I will never forget when I opened a toy I was sooooooo excited to get. It was highly detailed, shiny and so pretty on the outside, but then when I looked inside there was nothing. There wasn't any detail, no care or time had been taken to complete the inside and make it look like the outside. It was just plain old beige plastic! I was so disappointed and sad. :( I spent weeks trying to carefully take it a part and paint the inside but it just ended up in a corner gathering dust until later it was taken by my brother and blown up with a firecracker.

I am going to do the best I can with all my armor inside and out and hope to be "accepted" but I want to be happy with what I do as well.

This brings me to the mesh frown thing. I have seen only two valid comment so far that would make any sense as to why someone would or wouldn't put mesh on the frown.

1. It's not Canon <-- very big valid comment - but Real life isn't the movies in this case and the bug prevention does sound more pleasant. :D
  2. It can reduce ventilation. Now thinking mesh could prevent ventilation may seem stupid to some.. but then I think back to camping and being in a hot tent in the middle of the summer under the sun with the mesh windows open hoping they'll let in enough air to breath. Those mesh windows don't allow a lot of air!

So I will consider carefully the words from more experienced builders about screening the frown. I may just have to make a removable screen.  Screen it up on outside troops, and remove it for inside troops or when Ken is around. Laugh

Lastly...

I plan on going back to home depot this weekend to look for the fix-it-stick

Questions:

1. how long does a tube of that stuff last?
  2. Does it harden into a solid paintable state?
Edited by Brattie
  • Like 2

Angie whatever you choose I support.

This place is about experimenting (yay science) with different theories, and rising up and meeting the challenge. Just as every other experience there's going to be highs and lows (honestly there's more good times than bad) so far.

It's not about being right or wrong in your decisions- it's about learning, doing what makes you happy and team support.

Echo is working on fulfilling orders - he posted recently so you just need to wait a little longer.

Yes, on occasion there is playful teasing but it's out of comraderie and nothing more.

PS - I have a few ideas for your frown screen which you might like - I just have to do a few experiments first (evil sinister laugh)

PPS - I may end up painting the inside of my bucket later - I'm just one of those people that has to try before squashing and idea.

Cheers lass and glad your charity event went well.

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Hi A-Aron...

Don't get me wrong.. I don't mind teasing about things... Laugh... I have an older brother.. that should say it all..

I constantly worry about doing things wrong. Something wrong could lead to not being accepted into the 501st. That is what I find scary!

I would say it could lead to the dark side.. but I'm a Stormtrooper.. so .. moot point. :P

Oh, I'm glad to hear there have been Echo updates.. at last read a few of us were concerned for Echo's well being and hoping he was alright.

As for your PS.. keep me in the loop.. I like ideas.. I hate making the decisions.. so it's a double edged sword. Laugh.

I'm glad the fund raiser went well too.. we still have a long way to go until June 11th. No Update on RFL location yet.

Edited by Brattie