Brattie's AP Build and Journey to The 501st

Thanks Dan.. I was a little disappointed as I wanted the Binders to look so much better. I just could not find magnets that were thin like in the directions for the How to Information. Then the issues with the plastics. The tubing was only sold in massive lengths. So I had to juggle that a bit. All in all it was a load of things thrown together to try to make it work.. I am positive they aren't Canon.. sighs... but they are fun.. Right?

Anyway.. Time to shift and focus on other items.. Hopefully I hear from Echo for his fan system. Shawn's audio Assist system should be on the way soon.. not sure what else to gather.

I might do the duct tape thing.. I haven't decided. Space is a bit of an issue. Laugh.

I'm saving up to get the ukswrath (Option 8) Audio Combo & his external audio system - just waiting for that dollar of ours to climb a little more.

Yeah.. I'm going to figure a few things out.  I'm waiting on our dollar to go up on some things but would really like to locate Canadian Sellers.

When it comes to a mic system - I don't plan on talking too much when in my Armor. Laugh. It would be nice but.. meh.

What I like the most about Shawn is that he is Canadian and had great reviews from other Canadian Members.

We need more Canadian Product being sold in CAD.. the USD kills us every time!  In order to have more Canadian Product we have to support those in Canada Selling items.

:)

Edited by Brattie

Tony's full meal deal comes with iComm - here's the link:

FS: ukswrath's Hovi Mic Tips with Speakers, CRL accurate Tips

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/31436-FS%3A-ukswrath%27s-Hovi-Mic-Tips-with-Speakers%2C-CRL-accurate-Tips

Yep.. you still have to buy the I-comm system from the U.S, but at least you can find the other part for a reasonable price.

Just make sure you check the sellers list. The average cost should be over a hundred CAD. If it's under.. then the shipping cost will be higher as it would be coming from the States.. then you have to watch for duties.

Edited by Brattie

Alrighty.. so plans for moving forward...

I have ordered the Audio assist system via Shawn and I'm going to start to draw out a mock up of what I want to do within my bucket so when it arrives I have a game plan.

Organizing all the paints and such into different bags and segregating things for bucket with other items that way I just grab the bucket bag and start to work.

I also need to start wearing my TK Boots a bit so I get them good and comfy. I might even look at some inserts to give them extra comfort.

• Like 1

I have ordered the Audio assist system via Shawn and I'm going to start to draw out a mock up of what I want to do within my bucket so when it arrives I have a game plan.

Organizing all the paints and such into different bags and segregating things for bucket with other items that way I just grab the bucket bag and start to work.

I also need to start wearing my TK Boots a bit so I get them good and comfy. I might even look at some inserts to give them extra comfort.

I finished painting my amsterdams last night. comfy as heck! If you don't mind a little bit of brush marks they're the best

If I may recommend , Marks Work Warehouse has some deadly heat form insoles that are deadly and oober comfortable. They are a little more pricey than standard insoles but I can't even tell I've been walking all day anymore.

(I average about 13,000 steps a day before I get home to give you an idea)

• Like 2

Other questions I have are:

• How often do people Troop?
  • what is the longest time you've spent in your Armor?

I'm so glad the warmer weather is arriving :)

Edited by Brattie

A-Aron - What is the brand so I can check that out?  I'm all up for being prepared to prevent sore feet.

That leads me to another question. I have heard of Armor Pinch.. and I was wondering just how often that happens?

What other tips or tricks to people have for making their Armor more comfortable?

Like - Do you use padding on the inside of different pieces?

A-Aron - What is the brand so I can check that out? I'm all up for being prepared to prevent sore feet.

That leads me to another question. I have heard of Armor Pinch.. and I was wondering just how often that happens?

What other tips or tricks to people have for making their Armor more comfortable?

Sorry for the delay lass - the brand name is "SOLE"

Other questions I have are:

• How often do people Troop?
  • what is the longest time you've spent in your Armor?
I'm so glad the warmer weather is arriving :)
Not sure how often... All operations must be cleared with my Imperial Operations Commander... Who also controls Requisitions...

Longest time I've spent in armour was 8 hrs, and will not do that again lol. My first FanExpo, my family and I rented a hotel room at the Hyatt (bad experience as well), a few blocks away from the TCC (Toronto Convention Centre). I got suited up, and walked down to the TCC... Stayed in armour the entire time I was there, and that evening had to walk back to the Hyatt. TKs can't sit in armour... Just not possible, or I if it is, you risk cracking the bits that go under your butt or cod... Not a good idea. At FE that is our busiest time, and we have a lot of duties, handling, Shoot the Trooperr booth, booth duty, TK March, and a lot of photo ops. People come to this from all over the globe, including other 501st members to help out.

Great time, and experience. I bring my bin with me all the time to this event, so I can get out of armour for a bit, with option of getting back into it. Most troops in armour will last about 1 hour to 4 hours... The longest I stay in armour these days is about 4 to 5 hrs.

Also be prepared for what we TKs refer to as White Armour Blues between troops. Yes, you will miss wearing the armour, it's a fantastic experience and time!

• Like 2

Armor pinch (or armor bites) happens to everyone. You won't know where you'll get bit until you're all kitted up and moving around for an hour plus. You might not even feel them happening until you undress and notice red marks, scrapes, or blood. The more you wear your armor (and the more you fine trim and/or pad it), the less bites you'll get.

For me, I have foam strategically placed in my armor. Some for looks (making the armor sit right), and come for comfort. Ensuring all your armor peices have no rough edges or pointy bits/protrusions will lessen your chances of getting bit. Sand everything! Also, make sure your electronics are placed so they don't poke you.

As for how often people troop, it's very dependant on the trooper and his/her personal life. Some troopers are out there every weekend ( :icon_bow: ), and some you'll only see once a year.

The longest I've spent in armour was 4 hours. I'm planning on attending longer events this year, and I wouldn't be suprised to see 6-8 hours coming up.

• Like 3

A-Aron - What is the brand so I can check that out? I'm all up for being prepared to prevent sore feet.

Armour pinch... Never had it, but I can see how it would happen, especially at the joints, like back of leg, and inside of elbow. If you armour fits right, it won't happen, I would think.

The armour for myself, is quite comfortable. To keep shins from moving about at the top, I use two 1" square blocks of foam, taped/glued to the inside and outside leg in the shin armour. Keeps it firmly in place. Padding anyplace else? Only the bucket to keep it from wobbling around.... All in all, I haven't tweaked anything, except i highly recommend the garter system for holding up thighs, taking the stress off of the either the shoulder bridges, or suspenders, if you go with this system.

Myself I use suspenders holding up the ab and butt/kidney plates. Thighs are held up by garter, and chest and back (along with shoulder and biceps) are held up by shoulder bridges.

• Like 2

LOL!!  Big shout out to A-Aron who has given me nightmares now due to the NOTCH effect!!!

Check out A-Aron's build here for pictures.. awesome work!

Thanks all for sharing.. I am looking forward to my armor. Life the past few weeks has been hebetudinous. (Lacking in liveliness or animation - AKA :dull)

Of course I am taking into account that there is a massive snow storm coming our way and it's depressing. Laugh. I was all excited for spring!

I want to go back and bring up the Donations again for my Relay for Life I mentioned a while back. But I haven't heard from any of  the FISD Staff as I had sent in a request to be able to post about it in my thread. Sigh.. I really need donations/sponsors to support me during the run on June 11th.

It's hosted via the Canadian Cancer Society and I'll be walking for some dear friends of mine that have passed away recently.

Fingers crossed I hear from them soon as I'd really like give out information. The bonus is that I am not accepting money directly. It goes through a web page directly to RFL (Relay for Life) but through my RFL Page showing that I'm getting donations/sponsors.

I am hoping to have my armor ready by June 11th for it. Either way I need to start raising money. I hope they get back to me soon.

• Like 2

Alright.. question time... for when my BBB arrives.

Armor Polish

Do you polish AP armor?

I have worked outside for most of my life so weather rarely stops me from doing things I enjoy. With that said I plan on ensuring that all holes and such of my bucket are sealed other than vents for the frown and eyes to prevent fogging. But I will be ensuring all electronics are protected in case of rain / snow / etc.

So.. Rain X on the lenses.. but what about Wax / Polish on the AP armor?  To give it that new Armor shine and protection from sun and other damage?

I have heard others talking of some polish of sorts.. what polish truly works for AP armor?

Some have compounds that could scratch plastic.. so I want to be careful.. What would you use?

Let me know in comments below...

:dancing-trooper:  Hey.. I'm a poet and didn't know it! :dancing-trooper:

Polishing is totally personal preference.

A lot of people frown upon it because you will look "too new", whereas in the films the suits were quite beat up.

But it's your choice. Honestly, I haven't polished my AP kit and it still looks pretty darn shiny but if it's protection you seek then a coat of it certainly can't hurt.

I can't speak for which polish to use, although most swear by "Troop Goop". If you plan to make sure you research the type of polish that won't harm the ABS. All polishes "scratch" the armour, it's like wet sanding (sort of).

Edited by C0bra_M3nace
  • Like 2