Realistic Build Time

C0bra_M3nace

What is a realistic build time?

I'm hoping to have my brown box sometime in February. Is having it completed by the end of May, or early July off the table? Reason I ask is that there's an event in August that I would LOVE to attend.

Just trying to get an idea of if I should get my hopes up for being able to go to that event.

Thanks!

Wow, that really depends on a ton of things! Is this your first build? Are you getting help from your local squad? What items do you still need like supplies, accessories, etc? I have a member in my squad that can complete a TK in about a week! It really depends on lots of factors but your timeframe is doable.

• Like 2

That depends on a number of factors ...

1. How much time per week you can dedicate to your build?

2. How much reliable and experienced hands-on assistance can you get?

3. Do you have the proper tools and supplies handy in the appropriate amounts (in my experience you simply can't have too many clamps and rare earth magnets on hand)?

4. What kind of adhesive will you use - quick-curing yet utterly permanent (CA glue) vs long-curing but very forgiving in case of mistakes (E-6000)?

5. Do you already have everything else (boots, undersuit, blaster, belt, etc.) in hand required for a complete costume?

As a benchmark, a UKG team once demonstrated that you could build a complete TK in a weekend, and do so to the highest standards. Granted, that was with a team of experienced builders with everything they needed at their fingertips, using what I assume was quick-setting glue.

If you are new to this and working by yourself, if you can dedicate 1-2 hours a day and about 8-10 hours per weekend, receiving your brown box in February and having your kit completely done in early July is very doable.

• Like 1

Some great advice from Ken, Brian and Jason there, Justin.  Depending on how much free time you can dedicate to not only the build, but to the research needed, I don't think you should have a problem.  Some new builders will go for CA glue to speed things up, but I honestly don't advise it.  Believe me, I found out the hard way..., and it cost me more time and effort than if I had used E-6000 in the first place.  Like Jason mentioned, you can use this time to get your supplies in order and acquire your other items like neck seal, under suit, etc.  You should think about ordering your boots and E-11 as well, as these will take time to get to you.  Better to have everything in place when BBB day arrives, that way you are not scrambling around at the last minute and things will go much smoother, trust me.

Starting a build thread will also help immensely.  This way, you can post photos, ask questions, and show off your build all in one place.  It also highly increases the likelihood of people helping you out, rather than posting 20 different threads.

My first tk build took about six weeks. I worked 2-3 hours a day most days on it.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

I'll echo what's been said...

Your timeframe is very doable if you're prepared for the build.  With my first TK build, I received my BBB on 10 June and was approved on 2 August.  

Good luck!

According to TK-1636's YouTube build videos, he estimated about 40 hours for himself, and he is very experienced. I figure for my first build I'll add an extra 50%, raising it to 60 hours. And then cure time for the E6000 on top of that, but you can work on some parts while others are curing.

Since I went for the ANOVOS kit, I figure I can shave off 10 hours or so, since the helmet and belt come preassembled.

Don't forget about your E-11!

Bill

Yep, totally agree with everyone's comments, there is a lot of factors to take into consideration.

With everything I needed to hand my first build took four weeks of 3-4 hours a day.

I've just built a set for a prospective TK which has taken a couple of hours a night on and off over the last two weeks.

According to TK-1636's YouTube build videos, he estimated about 40 hours for himself, and he is very experienced. I figure for my first build I'll add an extra 50%, raising it to 60 hours. And then cure time for the E6000 on top of that, but you can work on some parts while others are curing.

Since I went for the ANOVOS kit, I figure I can shave off 10 hours or so, since the helmet and belt come preassembled.

Don't forget about your E-11!

Bill

The ears alone took me over an hour each so that's a pretty fair assessment. 

As an experienced builder myself, I'd say that 40 hour build time (not including E-6000 curing time) is pretty much on the mark. Having more supplies on hand - in particular blue tape, clamps, and rare earth magnets - facilitates being able to work on some parts while others are curing. Not to mention having multiple sets of lexan scissors, box cutters / hobby knives, metal rulers, etc. if you have more than just yourself doing the actual building.

• Like 1

If you can lock yourself in a room away from significant others and children you can save several days off your build alone

lmfao... i will echo Jason here.

These things take a lot of time and a lot of work. Distractions kill!!!!!! lol.

• Like 1

Awesome!

Thanks for the replies guys!

So I have 1 experienced member in my area willing and very glad to help me build, which will be a huge asset. I'm ready (hopefully able) to give myself a couple hours a day on it and more on weekends. I will be ordering my boots by the end of this month, which I learned TKBoots has plenty of my size in stock. I have most of the other parts with the exception of, boots of course, neck seal, holster and a lot of the equipment. Although it will only take me one day when I know my BBB is coming to head to the department store and pick up the glue, tape, etc.

I'm working with my friend in town here to secure my snaps and other various odds and ends such as paint, templates and snaps and he's offered his clamps, some earth magnets and his dremel whenever I need it. (WOO! Thanks Chris!)

Overall, I feel ready and comfortable starting. I've read through Danny's build thread which is AMAZING and full of detail and have been researching and poking around for several months now.

Maybe I'll even shoot for Centurion in my first shot but time will tell. (Definitely Expert though!)

I'll have my build thread rocking when I get my box so stay tuned and I also started a blog for some of my non-501st friends. It's very satisfying, though, to know if I work at it I can have it done in my timeframe. I'm very motivated and getting VERY excited with each passing day to get my BBB. (I'm like craddling my phone in my hand jumping at every email that arrives, just hoping its Mark telling me my kit is ready to ship!)

Thank again guys!

-Justin R

• Like 1

I built my RS Propmasters armor in five evenings , 3-5 hours an evening , I used superglue for speed , e6000 is a pointless pain . Just get stuck in !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great advice has already been given.

I took a TM 2mm ANH kit in 7 weekends averaging 3-5 hours per weekend to what I believe is Centurion ready armor (finally received my TK Boots so I can now submit my application). This is a first time build for me and I used a combination of CA glue and E6000 (in the the areas that would receive the most stress such as shins and thighs). This was subsequent, however, to hours of combing through build threads and obtaining all the necessary tools and accessories before beginning the build. I also have some background in professional model building so working with CA glue and a heat gun wasn't intimidating.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I started my first build in mid-October and finished the first week of December. I found the most effective way to plan was to set goals per day (schedule depending). On days off I would do large chunks of work and save the gluing and waiting (as I used primarily E6000 which takes 24+ hours to dry) for the evening before days I couldn't work anyways. My schedule is very sporadic though, so I'm not perhaps the best model here - but making a list and tackling item by item helped me a lot to get down what I thought was a massive list in a handful of weeks. It would have been done sooner if it was a normal TK, but the last week or so was dedicated to weathering the armor. There are so many excellent guides here on FISD as well - not having to hunt all over for answers also cuts down the build time significantly.

Long story short, starting mid-February for an August event is most certainly doable, as most others have already indicated!  :duim: