****NO BLASTER USE / DISPLAY | Lucasfilm, Ltd. - Disney Policy****

***********************EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY*************************

Garrison Members,

As many know, Lucasfilm/Disney has made a request that we "refrain from
displaying any prop that resembles a gun at all events (including
non-theatrical ones) until further notice."

Legion Command has spent much time processing feedback that has been
generated following this request - from further discussions with LFL, from
members, from council, and in some cases from the public.

Legion Command is respectfully requesting that units honor Lucasfilm’s
request as they finalize their plans for the The Force Awakens premiere
especially. It is also encouraged for events between now and January 7th,
2016. During this time, LCS will be engaging in conversations with Legion
Council to determine the best way for the Legion, as a whole, to approach
this.

We understand that the Legion membership has no interest in making this a
fundamental, open-ended change. It is our belief that, in the long-term,
Garrisons (and Outposts), upon consulting with an event host, should be
able to make the decision on when blasters are appropriate on a case by
case basis.

LCS will not be auditing for compliance, but reminds members that they are
required to follow policies regarding weapon restrictions as determined by
the leadership of the unit coordinating the event. We cannot state for
certainty that there will not be ramifications from LFL if a Garrison or
member decides to not comply with LFL’s request.

- Albin Johnson | 501st Legion Commanding Officer -

This is the latest from LFL:<br><br>

"Hello once again everyone,<br><br>

I’ve got another clarification that should hopefully clear up some of the questions we’ve been receiving. I also want to take this opportunity to more fully explain Disney/Lucasfilm’s position in this matter, as it seems some do not fully understand why this request is being made.<br><br>

To clarify, we are not questioning our fans’ judgement regarding props and weapons use, we simply don’t think it is appropriate to be appearing in high profile places with prop weapons in light of recent events in Paris. It’s about being sensitive to the events and current situation of a heightened threat around the globe.<br><br>

That said, we are slightly adjusting our request to fan groups -- we are respectfully requesting that the display of prop weapons, specifically those that look like guns (including holstered guns), not be used for character appearances which have been requested by Lucasfilm, Disney, or our partners. For event appearances not requested by Lucasfilm, Disney or our partners, we would prefer this request be respected but will leave it up to the members’ discretion to decide how they’d like to proceed. Lucasfilm would still appreciate notification for the usual types of events that require approvals, such as retail, corporate, and media.<br><br>

Thanks all – I really appreciate your understanding in this matter and hope this clears up at least some of the questions we’ve been receiving. <br><br>

Pete Vilmur<br>

Senior Writer & Fan Relations<br>

Lucasfilm"

• Like 2

Yes, the newest update from Albin provides some perspective, some background, and some peace of mind for anyone spinning up over this. By now, it's old news. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Let's be thankful for the resolution and the added perspective that we've all received. ;)

It is my hope that blasters are not banned.  That is not my idea of the spirit of standing up against terrorism.  it indeed shows that we have a lot to consider here.

I like non blaster events, but I like blaster events even more.

let us not allow the situation in the world stop us from being free.

And please FISD, don't argue, or fret about this.  Eventually we will have a better situation.

how about orange tips on all blasters?

Changes in policy should be stated for a limited time, in honor of paris,

but we should strongly consider to stand up for our right to be back to normal in feb. at the least!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 10

For event appearances not requested by Lucasfilm, Disney or our partners, we would prefer this request be respected but will leave it up to the members’ discretion to decide how they’d like to proceed.

Is the 501st and detachment considered a partner?

Edited by cjdesign

It is my hope that blasters are not banned.  That is not my idea of the spirit of standing up against terrorism.  it indeed shows that we have a lot to consider here.

I like non blaster events, but I like blaster events even more.

let us not allow the situation in the world stop us from being free.

And please FISD, don't argue, or fret about this.  Eventually we will have a better situation.

how about orange tips on all blasters?

Changes in policy should be stated for a limited time, in honor of paris,

but we should strongly consider to stand up for our right to be back to normal in feb. at the least!

I agree with Vern, this should be for a limited time as a sign of respect to recent events.

At the end of the day a stormtrooper without a blaster would not look or feel right!.

Maybe a local law enforcement authority could check all blasters prior to an event or something similar to put peoples minds at rest if they have concerns,

just an idea!.

• Like 2

I can understand at LFL/Disney events but for others we should be able to make the decision on when blasters are appropriate on a case by

case basis.

Petition for the use of blasters on the 501st forum is up to 33 pages http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=89080&start=320

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

I don't think the TK costume is complete without at least a blaster; however, given recent world events and threats, I understand Disney/LFL concerns.

Yeah, we're guys in white plastic costumes that are supposed to have weapons IN THE MOVIES.

But I'm pretty sure Disney/LFL would rather be associated with wholesome family fun and NOT terrorist acts.

Guns are a hot topic on everyone's mind right now.

The people involved with Paris type events are out to make a point about Western ideas.

The World Trade Center was a symbolic target.

So I ask myself, what's more American than Disney and Star Wars?

Where does EVERYBODY want to be on December 18th?

Disney/LFL has a VERY valid concern.

My opinion is worth nothing, but I AGREE with BANNING blasters at PUBLIC venues, at least for now.

On the other hand, if a venue has restricted access with security, then allow blasters that have been properly screened and marked.

Here's my concern:

If a gunman/terrorist/whatever you want to call it, shows up at a public event, law enforcement ISN'T going to be checking for "orange tips".

I'd rather NOT be the guy holding what LOOKS like a weapon when authorities arrive to regain control...

Just a thought before signing a petition...

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

Fear will keep the local systems in line. 

personally I have been asked at several events by law enforcement if my prop is real, and since I own and use a sound system, they are usually quite surprised

by my response when I tell them over the speaker that my prop is a solid block of resin, or rubber, with no moving parts.

In every single event where blasters have been present, the event marked the item with a zip tie.

I personally don't agree that free people should bow to public pressure from terrorist groups.  If we ban blasters in the 501st legion, then we are

showing FEAR.

Orange Tips , tags, flags and zip ties have worked for over 15 years, and they are mandated in some states.

devaluing the methods used in the past, as if they were not good enough simply shows a loss of freedom.

• Like 4

My thoughts are not based on fear of terrorists or willingly giving up my freedoms.

A gunman or a bomber at a public event will NOT care about you or your zip-tied blaster.

The idea is to help first responders eliminate YOU as a threat.

ONE mishap could make worldwide headlines and put a blemish on the Disney/LFL money machine.

Why would they take even the slightest chance, when the answer is as simple as asking you to leave your blaster at home?

To each his own.

I'm a twice decorated combat veteran from the Gulf War.

I saw WICKED stuff in the Middle East and that world is getting CLOSE to home...

When radicals are openly murdering people in public venues, I just think it's silly to petition authorities about carrying a toy gun.

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

I think it was a mistake to take a stance like this so public.  To actually bring the concept of fear, of being shot to a cosplay event, is why the terrorists win.

if we change our process of dealing with these situations by knee jerk reaction, this eventually might lead to the banning of helmets, masks and anything

that presents some kind of "threat" in cosplay.

Fear of being shot by Law Enforcement is a daily concept.  You don't even need a gun to be shot.

I completely understand and support people's feelings on this.  How about putting special RF tags on our blasters,

offering a permitting process for all cosplay weapons, and to allow ourselves to be organized, and informed

on event security.

events could require us to be licensed cosplay weapons public performers, with law enforcement present during the

event as a show of solidarity, with public security in mind.

a bold show of cosplay weapons policy is being developed here.   I vote that we as free people be given a pathway to attend events

with our full costume in place.

• Like 4

All very valid points, Vern, and I salute your patriotism.

I'm sure the people in Paris didn't have any thoughts of fear while going about their daily lives.

Fear isn't all bad - it sharpens your vigilance.

Will I go to the premier in December?  Yes.

Will I bury my head in the sand and pretend I'm 100% safe and secure in public?  No.

Time to EAT.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

• Like 1

I can't help but take it as respect for victims, and not as fear of aggressors at all. LFL can't make anyone leave their registered and licensed concealed handguns at home; no rights are being tread-upon. I respect Vern's, Aaron's and everyone else's opinions equally, including LFL. But it's their event, movies, IP, etc. and we should CHOOSE to leave our blasters at home for the same reasons we observe moments of silence without backlash regarding our 1st amendment rights. Respect is a more potent antidote than many want us to acknowledge.

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 7

I am living in germany and I'm looking forward to trooping on december 18th.

Paris is not too far away and just this morning it was on the news that suspects have been arrested.

These suspects wanted to bring explosives to a city called dortmund to build bombs for terroristic acts in and around the rhine-ruhr area.

Dortmund is my neighbour-town, only a few miles away.

So the terror is at my doorstep now.

My wife doesn't want me to troop in any case now, but especially on the 18th.

Where will be the most people in one place on that day? What will be the most symbolic and iconic target of western culture than disney AND star wars combined?

Will I troop anyway?

Yes, because this is my way of showing a huge middle finger to those fanatics who try to impose their way of life onto me.

Will I leave my blaster at home?

You bet!

This has nothing to with bending my knee for terrorists, but with common sense.

I make a pretty impressive stormtrooper anyway, even without blaster.

(I like to keep it holstered anyway most of the time.)

Has anybody seen the clips in the news of the french people mourning the dead at the place of the attack the day after?

There was a muffled bang from a broken heater in the background and all of a sudden 200 something people fled the scene in sheer terror.

Mind you, nothing happened, really. Still there was a stampede of frightened people.

Now imagine a cinema with long queues of attendees waiting. Security, perhaps even police in the bigger cities.

There's a noise, people duck and you will be the one standing in the middle wielding something that very closely resembles a weapon.

Do I really have to go on?

Disney/LFL asked us KINDLY to apply some common sense and leave our blasters at home.

Under these circumstances it is the most idiotic, childish and dumb thing to sign a competion for carrying blasters in the public.

Grow up.

• Like 9

I just watched the Belgian Garrison greet the R2-D2 jet at Brussels Airport on Facebook.

Nobody was carrying blasters......you know what ?, it did not detract from what must have been an awesome event to be part of in any way.

Edited by Artshot

I think everyone has been well mannered here, and I like that.

"Standing up to terrorism, is much more important than letting it CHANGE our freedoms.  I personally believe that our image is best served with our entire freedom

to be represented by PROTECTING our right to be free."

in western society, and modern culture if we allow the concept of fear, or 'respect' to change our freedom, then we simply allow terrorism to shrink our ability to indeed be free.

This is much more than just toy guns.   This is about how we handle the cultural impact of terrorism.

what do we do?  hold up in our houses while we play shooter games all day, and walk out of the house in fear of being gunned down?

Vern, I think you've made it clear that you don't want to indulge terrorists by being fearful. I respect that. That being said, a lot of people are very afraid, and you need to respect their very legitimate fears. The level of daily violence occurring in the world at this point is spectacular in its scale. We had the Paris bombings just a couple of weeks ago, and we've had too many shootings at public venues in the US in the last couple of months alone to keep track of. We had a shooting, what, two days ago? Gun violence, especially in the US, is reaching a point of absurdity. It's true that nobody is shooting anyone with prop weapons. I think that's fairly obvious. The question here is whether or not troopers should be putting themselves at risk from law enforcement by carrying very realistic weapon props.

There are very real threats which are making people legitimately afraid of trooping with weapons or trooping at all. Nobody is being oppressed here. Nobody is having their rights violated. This was a polite request from LFL to refrain from trooping with blasters. That doesn't mean you can't own one, and it doesn't even mean you can't troop with one. All it means is that they're asking you not to.

Everyone involved is just as free as they were before the request.

• Like 2