Anovos TK armor preorder

I have a couple kits on order and can't wait.  However, I'm not sure I like the tone of their answers in the way they talk down about the "underground hobbyist market" and "bootleg kits".
Fan made armor is the backbone of the 501st, is it not?

I have a couple kits on order and can't wait.  However, I'm not sure I like the tone of their answers in the way they talk down about the "underground hobbyist market" and "bootleg kits".

Fan made armor is the backbone of the 501st, is it not?

I think we have all become accustomed to thinking fan-made armor is legitimate after 20+ years of DIY with no consistent viable licensed options. I proudly own an "underground hobbyist bootleg kit," but indeed that's what it is, especially from a licensor/licensee perspective. :)

I think we have all become accustomed to thinking fan-made armor is legitimate after 20+ years of DIY with no consistent viable licensed options. I proudly own an "underground hobbyist bootleg kit," but indeed that's what it is, especially from a licensor/licensee perspective.  :)

That may be, but putting down tried and true armor makers is not exactly the best way to endear them to the fan base. It smells like mandated company line.

• Like 1

That may be, but putting down tried and true armor makers is not exactly the best way to endear them to the fan base. It smells like mandated company line.

I tend to agree, but let's face facts. A license COSTS money, and if they've just laid out for said license they probably want to tout the fact that they are

'legit' in the eyes of the true evil empire (Disney). ;)

My hope is that ANOVOS knows that their TK offer is going to be the make-or-break for their company and will be making decisions accordingly.

A crappy pull/moulds or bad plastics will probably doom them with this many pre-orders.

There is nothing like thousands of either angry or SUPER HAPPY reviews to either send a company into the toilet or, alternately, the stratosphere.

:smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

A bit rich considering half of Anovos came from the replica prop forum.

Now they are paying shed loads on licences they have to slag us passionate small guys off.

We are just as passionate about materials, products and customer service as you ANOVOS!

We don't have to pay large licensing fees as they are out of copyright. Not our fault LFL forgot to put an artistic licence on them!

Grow up springs to mind.

:laugh1:

We don't have to pay large licensing fees as they are out of copyright. Not our fault LFL forgot to put an artistic licence on them!

In the UK. ;)

Luckily for us our courts don't rewrite the law to suit whoever has the most money. ;)

Indeed. :)

Although that might start to change based on what I hear about the torries.

My main point is that Anovos came from the very community they are so quick and ready to slag off.

Yeah. That's very unfortunate.

My main point is that Anovos came from the very community they are so quick and ready to slag off.

I wouldn't expect anything different from a business with a licence. They, and Disney, will want to remove/stop as much unlicenced stuff as possible. It's all about the green

I wouldn't expect anything different from a business with a licence. They, and Disney, will want to remove/stop as much unlicenced stuff as possible. It's all about the green

I doubt it. Disney/LFL has had a long standing good relationship with the fan costuming community, the 501st is the face of the fan side of star wars, they know what good publicity we ( the costuming fan base) are.

Calling them evil for wanting to turn a profit is just silly. Disney, LFL, and Anovos are all business, their whole reason for being is to make money, the more money they make the more products they can develop, jobs they can create, and in the end more fun we get out of them. I didn't read that they were talking down to hobbyists at all in that sentence, just that they have the resources available into developing their own materials, something that we as individuals don't have access to.

• Like 1

I doubt it. Disney/LFL has had a long standing good relationship with the fan costuming community, the 501st is the face of the fan side of star wars, they know what good publicity we ( the costuming fan base) are.

Calling them evil for wanting to turn a profit is just silly. Disney, LFL, and Anovos are all business, their whole reason for being is to make money, the more money they make the more products they can develop, jobs they can create, and in the end more fun we get out of them. I didn't read that they were talking down to hobbyists at all in that sentence, just that they have the resources available into developing their own materials, something that we as individuals don't have access to.

Don't get me wrong, I in no way would consider them wishing to turn a profit evil. Exactly my point they are business and want to turn as much profit as possible.

I am also fully aware of LFLs excellent relationship with the costuming community. I do however think Disney will want to try and push some towards licensed pieces. It is great business sense to do so. Also the way they have been pulling licences back in house for many products for Marvel tends to make me lean this way with my thinking as well. I don't think they will in any way move to close down the fan made outfits, as you say the 501st is a strong fan face and voice in the excellent charity work they do. However when anyone new hits Google for the first time I feel Disney would want a licensed vendor popping first in any search.

My original post wording is clearly wrong. That's what I get from throwing a post up first thing in the morning :)

Edited by Pikmin

Don't get me wrong, I in no way would consider them wishing to turn a profit evil. Exactly my point they are business and want to turn as much profit as possible.

I am also fully aware of LFLs excellent relationship with the costuming community. I do however think Disney will want to try and push some towards licensed pieces. It is great business sense to do so. Also the way they have been pulling licences back in house for many products for Marvel tends to make me lean this way with my thinking as well. I don't think they will in any way move to close down the fan made outfits, as you say the 501st is a strong fan face and voice in the excellent charity work they do. However when anyone new hits Google for the first time I feel Disney would want a licensed vendor popping first in any search.

My original post wording is clearly wrong. That's what I get from throwing a post up first thing in the morning :)

Unfortunately I have to agree with you Adam.

My family and I have been huge Disney consumers for years and one thing is for sure when it comes to Disney, they don't do anything half way and they're in it for the $. When they took ownership of SW they knew exactly what they were doing and what they will own, everything, and everyone else will go bye bye. Unfortunately this is reality. Exactly how much they will impose their will on fan built armor has yet to be seen but I suspect it started with TFA and will continue from there. As for the classic, who knows. 

I joined this list also and winter can't come fast enough. First time armor buyer and builder here, like most of those jumping on this deal. I think its gonna be harder for me to make it work. Mostly since I'm 5'11 and 280lbs. I've seen threads about needing larger armor and shims. But I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make this work. I also wonder just how may orders ANOVOS has gotten. I'd say probably in the 100's. I know my order number has 4 digits, but I'd assume that the order number started long ago with their first orders.

Im an inch taller than you lol same issue. Thus my diet!
  • Like 1

Concerning the switch to PVC, Anovos (in the person of GotMaul) had the following to say over at the RPF:

The ultimate piece will be PVC. The reason you saw the variation was because it was still in deliberation what material we were going to use. My guys were in China this past week and put the materials through various professional tested conditions that looked at wear and tear, long term use and aging. The results we found pointed all at PVC for its durability and wear over the long term.

The part that most people don't understand about PVC is that there is a gradient of quality of this product. Arguably, the gradient between poor PVC plastic and amazing PVC plastic is larger than ABS. What we typically have used here in the states (at least from we have observed) is that everyone is usually held to the limitations of poor supply that doesn't necessarily give the best quality. This would explain the mixed responses ranging from people loving PVC to hating it.

With that being said, thanks to you on the RPF and thousands of people, our great experiment to leverage volume to command our own quality has paid off. I am so pleased to you all that behind the scenes, we are now buying plastic by the TONS. This has allowed to not only be free from the restrictions of supply, but actually custom make our very own plastic and what it will consisted of, down to the molecular level. The PVC we have chosen to make from scratch, will be highest quality PVC. It will also be dyed to match the bright white ABS (which is something that American PVC suppliers rarely see ) and an added element, unique to Anovos, will also have custom anti-UV protection mixed into the plastic. Not only will your armor be durable, it will also be protected much longer from yellowing caused by light and time.

All, I am so excited about this. We've knitted our own fabric before, but actually creating plastic is whole new level for us and it was all because of you and thousands other. Because of you guys, we are not only making more product, but actually expanding our hobby and taking costuming to whole new levels.

I for one think it was a smart move to make the initial price very low but with upfront payment. The ****-loads of $ they must have generated is used to dictate their terms to the suppliers of raw materials with best possible results in mind.

• Like 7

You're welcome. Provided this isn't just empty talk (which I seriously doubt) I think it's very reassuring.

My experience of Anovos is very much quality first, so it's encouraging. More so that the recent email responses we have seen

My experience of Anovos is very much quality first, so it's encouraging. More so that the recent email responses we have seen

Mine too. I'm hoping for the best.

• Like 1

I hope it's a quality product.  If so, then my efforts to produce my own armor were futile as I would have paid that small fee to purchase the armor in lieu of making and modifying my own.  This will put the fan builds out of business most likely as we can't compete with the pricing.  I am not keen on their trimming.  I think they are sloppy with their work, but a kit would allow the purchaser to have control.