screen accuracy?

is it me but i think the screen accuracy looks

dodgy rushed and slapped together (Heath Robinson)

i want my armour to look spick and span

like it was designed if i was a real imperial cadet

screws an rivets just look wrong to me

gaps around ear pieces etc

aren't helmets meant to be environmentally sealed

the empire was meant to have the best of the best in my opinion

so i don't know what to do

is there any one that thinks the way i do ?

Check out the RotJ styling- it doesn't have those side rivets, no visible straps over the biceps, there's a bunch of the 'slapped together'-looking details that were eliminated.

Just ignore all those missing O2 cans on Endor (hey, they could breathe anyway, right?)

I think it dipends on what you look for.

Some people prefer accuracy, others prefer to look like a power ranger.

Sincerly, I've always been thinking about that, and I took my conclusion: In the old trilogy all looks approximate because of the obscurantism. All the things are decadent, so it's hard to imagine the Empire forging new armors for every cadet/clone. It's more realistic to think about the Empire re-use armors of those who fell in battle, and that's why you have rivets, dirty armors, bad-closed helmets, etc...

Edited by lightside

Actually you can build your armor like you want. The new looking perfect imperial trooper just out of the factory look or the "screen look" wich is dodgy since most of the screenarmor burnt down and where rushed together.

Both is ok and nice. But for eib and higher we look for the screen look.

But if we would go 100% we would have to apply loads of gaffa tape since screen armor were a mess.

; )

Yeah for trooping purposes you have to draw the line somewhere :P in that respect everyone's armor is idealized to some extent.

I'll admit that at first I wasn't a fan of the bumpy cap and back but the more Ive learned about the original props the more Ive come to love the eccentricities of the screen accurate look.

So much so that Im planning on my next build to be a warts and all reproduction,

Well almost, I still wont be going with the chipped paint HDPE look on the helmet or using gaffa tape on the armour ;) .

I asked this question a few weeks back myself. I'm personally for the spick and span clean look. Empire was on the top of it's game, the soldiers were in their best. Find the line where you feel comfortable acting in your armor, cause it's all for fun, so have fun.

i understand

but at this stage in making my choice of kit

after reading the builds and looking at pics

i want AM matching arms and Legs with everything else ATA

im on waiting list for ATA and a bucket should be arriving in a few weeks :)

To ask in this forum what is better between screen accurate and idealized.. its like asking a Chevy club their thoughts on a Ford. Both will pass for 501st, but if you want those next tiers for your build, then its going to be screen accurate.

i understand

but at this stage in making my choice of kit

after reading the builds and looking at pics

i want AM matching arms and Legs with everything else ATA

im on waiting list for ATA and a bucket should be arriving in a few weeks :)

The problem you might have with mixing parts on your kit is they may be a difference in color and then you would have to paint it.Which by the way is screen accurate :laugh1:

Honestly though why isn't there a category for those that go above and beyond to make it perfect? No gaps, no seams, no rivets anyone uses, no extra buttons? I'm all about the screen accurate but in the end what are you to the general public...a stormtrooper right! I guess I'm ranting a little but look at the TX CRL just as an example. Those guys "can" take direct blaster fire yet a jodhpur or Chelsea style boot is required with elastic webbing at the ankle. Sorry but if you can "cloak" yourself I don't think the Achilles heal of an elastic ankle would have been overlooked on part of the empire. I know it's a mix of real world and the novels/comics but sheesh!

Honestly though why isn't there a category for those that go above and beyond to make it perfect? No gaps, no seams, no rivets anyone uses, no extra buttons? I'm all about the screen accurate but in the end what are you to the general public...a stormtrooper right! I guess I'm ranting a little but look at the TX CRL just as an example. Those guys "can" take direct blaster fire yet a jodhpur or Chelsea style boot is required with elastic webbing at the ankle. Sorry but if you can "cloak" yourself I don't think the Achilles heal of an elastic ankle would have been overlooked on part of the empire. I know it's a mix of real world and the novels/comics but sheesh!

I wishyou all the best for you Tk build, but what youhave described here sounds very much like a clonetrooper.... They are seamless and 'perfect' inthe sense they were created in CG and no actual suits exst ;)

I would go for accuracy any day of the week. It is how the SW helmets and armors were made, it is like owning a piece of the movie. Having an idealized item is cool but let's compare a MR CE/eFX PCR helmet with a RS Prop Masters. Then you'll see what SW is all about: a used universe, with lots of wonky and rough stuff, in a way exactly like the real world. PT looks shiny and pristine and that is another factors that makes it a miss.

Rob, to each his/her own.

I've always looked at the Star Wars universe as a used and abused place.

I'm sure the Emperor didn't give out armour contacts to the highest bidder, they would have gone to the lowest. He wouldn't have given a damn about quality control, he had hordes of cannon fodder, so it didn't matter.

My kit hasn't been polished in 4 years, nor will it ever be. it is now naturally weathered, and I love it this way.

Wonky, dirty, lived in, just like the Star Wars universe.

For me, Prop replica for collecting, slightly more idealized for trooping. There has to be a line between how the armour looked in the movie and what the public expect to see. Most of the sloppiness we see on screen can only be noticed with todays higher quality ways of viewing. Back in the days of VHS things like tape were not noticed. I love all the wonkiness and scuff marks but I not a fan of the poor construction mistakes. Just my opinion.

I think David hits the nail on the head- the Star Wars universe was not clinical and pristene it was gritty and used.

Stormtroopers fitted right in!

Personally I go for a more accurate screen look but it is all about choice. The information is here for you to devour and then decide. If you want a more clincal TK then it is your costume you should go for it.

Personally I would be worried about mixing parts too much particularly such main parts as I susppect it may look odd, the different sculpts may not compliment each other and the colours will probably be very different.

I understand what you're talking about but to me you go in a dead end with this thoughts. I mean... if you look for realism so you might think an empire would never dressed up its soldiers with unpraticable armors. mightn't you?

Moreover, armors would be perfect also in shape, not asimmetrical, and the bucket would be wider to let stormtrooper breathe when they run. So, at this point, you could go with a FX with its bucket on and you step back thinking to go forward. It's a loop.